Revis officially retires

tfine

6 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

gale sayers/darrelle revis. 

one of the most electrfying runners evert. and darelle, passes defensed ******* mevis.

ffs, m8s. your insane. 

What happened to your other post there tough guy? The players names are irrelevant.  The point is that 4-5 years of greatenss was enough to get Sayers in. The guy had 1,000 yards rushing twice. Is that "sustained greatness?"  Is it the Hall of Fame?  The Hall of Sustained Greatness or is it the Hall of Electricity? 

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am bowing out because you people literally have no concept of logic. Your highlight films and the number of players in the league could not have less to do with your alleged points which make no sense.  Enjoy your Gale Sayers clips and your Hall of Sustained Greatness.  The fact that the two are completely incompatible means nothing! 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

What happened to your other post there tough guy? The players names are irrelevant.  The point is that 4-5 years of greatenss was enough to get Sayers in. The guy had 1,000 yards rushing twice. Is that "sustained greatness?"  Is it the Hall of Fame?  The Hall of Sustained Greatness or is it the Hall of Electricity? 

the point is that revis cannot shone the memory of gale sayers shoes.

tough guy, wtf, arre you 12 yrs old?

the fact that you persist in mention sayers and revis in the same sentence only highlights how little you know of this game and its history. with all due respect.

Just now, Losmeister said:

the point is that revis cannot shone the memory of gale sayers shoes.

tough guy, wtf, arre you 12 yrs old?

the fact that you persist in mention sayers and revis in the same sentence only highlights how little you know of this game and its history. with all due respect.

You go around telling people to punch themselves in the genitals and then complain that I am 12?  That is always the hallmark of maturity.  The point is that you cannot discount Revis career as too short because he was only great for 4-5 years and say that the HOF is for "sustained greatness" if you think Sayers belongs.  If you want to argue whether Revis seasons were good enough, fine, but you can't limit him based on time.  

metaphorical punch in the nuts! ooph!

look, man. 

yes, i am arguing he was not good enough.

revis had 25 INts in 108 games as a Jet, James hasty had 24 in 111

please just nevert mention gale sayers in the same sentence. you're killing me.

On 7/21/2018 at 4:14 PM, DoubleDown said:

So much debate in this thread, but I think it's pretty clear.

100% chance he's getting in.

25% chance he gets in on the first ballot.

3 years of dominant, elite play. Another 3 years of great play. And he has a Superbowl too.

What he did in this era of pass happy, no contact football is incredible in all honesty. He set the standard of shutdown corner for years. He's on the same level as other greats such as Sanders and Bailey.

Calvin Johnson just said ‘As long as Revis’ bust is not next to me, it’s fine with me if he gets in’. 

On 7/21/2018 at 4:14 PM, DoubleDown said:

So much debate in this thread, but I think it's pretty clear.

100% chance he's getting in.

25% chance he gets in on the first ballot.

3 years of dominant, elite play. Another 3 years of great play. And he has a Superbowl too.

What he did in this era of pass happy, no contact football is incredible in all honesty. He set the standard of shutdown corner for years. He's on the same level as other greats such as Sanders and Bailey.

Pretty much this

If Revis doesn’t get in first ballot it’s because of Jet haterade and ignorance

On 7/18/2018 at 11:08 PM, Bruce Harper said:

That is certainly one of the most egotistical press releases I have ever seen.  In his prime, he was the best.  Too bad he was so damn greedy.

Leave it to Jets fans to hate on the best player in our history. This is why we don’t deserve nice things.

10 hours ago, jgb said:

Leave it to Jets fans to hate on the best player in our history. This is why we don’t deserve nice things.

So I "hated on" him by calling him "the best"?  Are you saying he wasn't greedy?  It's not really open to debate.  So he shouldn't be criticized?

16 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Dude playing in different eras has a lot to do with it. Less teams. Less roster spots. Deeper talent pool. If you can't acknowledge that then you have already lost the argument.

The players today are more talented than ever.  There may be more teams but there are also more good players.

There are 32 teams today, there were 28 from 1976-1994, 30 from 1994-1998, 31 from 1999-2001, 32 2002-current. 

earning 1st team all pro is hard, always has been and always will be.  Only 2 CBs in league history have more 1st team all pro apps. 

we compare players to how they did against their era, Revis was the best of his era and did things no corner has ever done.  It's so incredibly sad that Jet fans look to tear down the greatest player we have ever had.

9 hours ago, Losmeister said:

" He's on the same level as other greats such as Sanders and Bailey."

except for the lack of interceptions, so, um , at a lower level

And four career forced fumbles. Charles Tillman had 44 lol. 

Once you get past the legend of 09, it's not as impressive as his nickname leads on.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:48 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

Please explain.

Brett Favre wanted to go to Minnesota to stick it to GB. He knew the only way to get there was to agree to the trade here first, he wanted out of NY as fast as possible and did not put the effort in to help our team. While learning his first new system in 15 years or so he was busy heading into to week 2 giving friends on the Lions tips on how to beat GB rather than worrying about helping us beat NE.  In Matt Cassell's first star(Favre's first at home for us) he badly outplayed Favre in a Pats win.

let's not forget to mention how weak the schedule we played was and we didn't have to deal w/ the greatest QB of all time in our division. yes we got to 8-3 but Favre was up and down through that stretch(mostly down). he had one great game vs. Arizona(who we beat 56-35, AZ lost their 2 other NE trips that season 48-20 and 47-7). he had his lone good stretch of football in November at NE and Ten before he tanked it.

He was outplayed in games by his QB counterparts Jamarcus Russell, Tyler Thigpen, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Seneca Wallace, Jay Cutler and Shaun Hill.

The AFC was very down, the NFL was down.  Pitt was not a great team.  Their 2010 team was better, we had a golden opportunity to win a SB that year.  should have been a 1-2 seed w/ a bye but the "iron man" got hurt(in October by the way but it didn't affect him until November for some reason).  He wants all the accolades for being tough and playing through pain but then wants the excuse when he fails in big games like he had done so often in his career.

Favre was a gunslinger, he could throw you into a game or out of one.  He spent most of 2008 throwing the ball up for grabs, it worked more earlier in the season than later.  We won 1 game in the last 5 weeks and in that 1 game we needed a defensive TD in the final 2 mins to win it or we would have been 8-8 and out of it even earlier.

while this was going on our former QB was leading a team half as talented to 11 wins and a div title but b/c Favre threw 6 TDs in one game we tend to think fondly of him when the reality is he never wanted to be here, used us to get to Minnesota and didn't put in full effort to help us win.  once it started going south he tanked it.

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

what.

What does any of that have to do with your statement:

On 7/23/2018 at 7:48 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

many of the same fans praise Brett Favre who destroyed a SB chance

Favre had us at 8-3, tops in the AFC after beating a 10-0 Titans team in Tenn, and was stealing every headline across the country. He was the reason that we were even in the conversation for the super bowl.

Then his bicep blew out. End of story.

So Favre had us in the conversation for the Super Bowl, and then played hurt and we lost the next 5. So you're going to hitch your favre-hate wagon to his selfishness? That Favre destroyed a SB chance because he didn't sacrifice his streak and allow a fully healthy Kellen Clemens to play and take us to the super bowl? Is that really what you're going to inevitably spend your next 5000 twisted, irrational words defending?

17 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

what.

What does any of that have to do with your statement:

Favre had us at 8-3, tops in the AFC after beating a 10-0 Titans team in Tenn, and was stealing every headline across the country. He was the reason that we were even in the conversation for the super bowl.

Then his bicep blew out. End of story.

So Favre had us in the conversation for the Super Bowl, and then played hurt and we lost the next 5. So you're going to hitch your favre-hate wagon to his selfishness? That Favre destroyed a SB chance because he didn't sacrifice his streak and allow a fully healthy Kellen Clemens to play and take us to the super bowl? Is that really what you're going to inevitably spend your next 5000 twisted, irrational words defending?

Favre didn't have us at 8-3, we were 8-3 in spite of him and b/c of a weak schedule.

his arm injury occurred earlier in the year. the weather got cold and he tanked it.

he played, he gets judged on how he played.  he made his career playing through pain.  No excuses. Chad Pennington w/ a torn rotator cuff had us a missed kick from the AFC Championship Game, Favre couldn't even get us to the playoffs w/ no Brady around and maybe the weakest sched we have ever had.

40 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Yes.  Have you not seen this movie a dozen times before?

3 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

So I "hated on" him by calling him "the best"?  Are you saying he wasn't greedy?  It's not really open to debate.  So he shouldn't be criticized?

Greedy is a throwaway term that means nothing. He maximizes his value. Good for him.

On 7/18/2018 at 11:14 AM, rangerous said:

okay.  most likely he'll get into the hof. is he going to retire as a jet?  patsie?  buc?

Probably whoever offers him the most money on the 1 day contract.

Revis deserves nothing but praise for the career he had. He's part of Jets history. He's one of the best players to ever put on a Jets uniform. Despite how you may feel he acted contract wise, the man deserves nothing but praise for his play on the field. He's an all time great corner and an all time great New York Jet.

20 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Dude Sayers played 4-5 seasons and STILL MADE THE HOF. That was his whole career! They thought enough of him to put him in based on those 4-5 years. He did that playing against a higher level of competition based on the fact that there was less teams and LESS SPOTS AVAILABLE ON THOSE TEAMS. WTF does playoff appearances or stats have to do with the fact that less roster spots and less teams mean better talent? 630 players as compared to 1696 and you say that doesn't matter? LOL. You have to be kidding me.

The bold is silliness. 

There are certainly arguments against Revis, the one you've chosen may be the weakest I have ever seen. Sure, there may've been fewer teams back then but there was almost certainly a lot more players not interested in joining the league. You had to really love football back then to be in the NFL because in the offseason you had to get another job to pay your bills. This year, the scrub sitting on the end of the bench will bring in about a half million. The competition to get into the league is much stiffer nowadays because these kids make bank. The result is a league full of bigger, stronger, faster players than back in the 60s. The level of competition was lower, probably by a lot, allowing superior talents like a Gayle Sayers to really jump off the page running past them.  

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Greedy is a throwaway term that means nothing. He maximizes his value. Good for him.

Well, yes, he maximized the pay he received over the course of his career.  But, IMHO, he also f'd up his career and his legacy along the way by being greedy (which is a real word with a dictionary definition, by the way).  First, he tore his ACL after skipping training camp during one of his hold-outs.  Maybe it would have happened anyway, but an argument could be made that he would have been more game-ready if he attended camp.  And then -- even though he wanted to remain a Jet --  he got traded to Tampa because he was such a royal pain in the ass about money.  Then, for the same reasons, the Jets let him sign with the Pats.  He has every right to do what he did and maybe he is glad that he did. But he may have been better off not squeezing every penny out of the league.  He still would have made an unfathomable amount of money.

10 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Until that greed has a negative impact on the team, which, it did.

So does asking for a raise at work. But I’m not going to work for below market value and I doubt you would either.

7 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Well, yes, he maximized the pay he received over the course of his career.  But, IMHO, he also f'd up his career and his legacy along the way by being greedy (which is a real word with a dictionary definition, by the way).  First, he tore his ACL after skipping training camp during one of his hold-outs.  Maybe it would have happened anyway, but an argument could be made that he would have been more game-ready if he attended camp.  And then -- even though he wanted to remain a Jet --  he got traded to Tampa because he was such a royal pain in the ass about money.  Then, for the same reasons, the Jets let him sign with the Pats.  He has every right to do what he did and maybe he is glad that he did. But he may have been better off not squeezing every penny out of the league.  He still would have made an unfathomable amount of money.

Just don’t see it that way. Arguments based on “greed” or “fairness” just don’t sway me because they’re entirely subjective to the point of being meaningless since such arguments are usually entirely devoid of context or comparators. Basically they are emotional appeals that are really just personal animus disguised as behavioural disagreement. What makes Steve Jobs a genius and  John Rockefeller a greedy profiteer? Personal taste.

23 minutes ago, jgb said:

So does asking for a raise at work. But I’m not going to work for below market value and I doubt you would either.

Well, I wouldn’t expect the 559 people who like my company on Facebook to love me for it.

Archived