Revis officially retires

tfine

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

so he "packed it in" when he was one of the best corners in the league in 2015?(2015 was AFTER he won the SB in the 2014 season).

Not worthy? how many CBs can you find that have more than 4 1st team all pro selections.  I'll wait for your answer.

It's my opinion JUNC. You obviously think he deserves it. I don't. Revis was living on his rep for a little while but was soon exposed. He was excellent for a few seasons but the HOF is about longevity. Revis doesn't have that on his resume.

21 hours ago, JiF said:

He revived the shut down corner?  It was nearly extinct?  History was challenged every Sunday?

He's the Kanye West of Football.

Supposedly Revis talked about his biggest regrets of his career yesterday and he said his biggest regret as a Football player, was that he didnt get to see himself perform live. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Supposedly Revis talked about his biggest regrets of his career yesterday and he said his biggest regret as a Football player, was that he didnt get to see himself perform live. 

he did revive the shutdown corner, that was something "experts" told us was extinct and he really has been on the only true shutdown corner of his generation.

4 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

It's my opinion JUNC. You obviously think he deserves it. I don't. Revis was living on his rep for a little while but was soon exposed. He was excellent for a few seasons but the HOF is about longevity. Revis doesn't have that on his resume.

You are allowed to hold whatever opinion you want, I am allowed to try to inject facts into the discussions.

The HOF is about greatness not longevity.  usually the great players have longevity but it's not like Revis played 3 seasons.  he still had a long career just not as long as some other greats and he did more in less time than the majority of HOF CBs.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Deion was a once in a generation player.  Nobody can compare themselves to him because nobody can compare themselves to Deion. 

Yep. The CB's today are all like, "who cares about INTs and return TDs and forced fumbles and scaring people returning punts??  That's old school. Gimme some new school metrics and passes defensed, bitch!!"

pffffffffffffffffffffffffft

42 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he did revive the shutdown corner, that was something "experts" told us was extinct and he really has been on the only true shutdown corner of his generation.

No expert ever said that.  Ever.  That's moronic.  This is made up Kayne Revis sh*t.  There were plenty of DB's in the league shutting down WR's many who are/were better than Revis and many who were damn good at the time.  

Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson, Ty Law, Ronde Barber, Asante Samuel, Rashean Mathis, Charles Tillman, PacMan Jones, Antoine Whitfield...and a bunch more really good corners that could shut down the oppositions #1 WR.

The idea that Revis revived anything is the dumbest sh*t I've ever heard.  That's like saying Ray Lewis revived tackling. 

There is always a debate when comparing players in different eras in all sports. 

As far as coverage, Revis was a shutdown corner and  had those string of years where his body of work is probably the best ever at the position.  QB's needed to basically work a game plan to win without throwing to whoever he was covering.  Deion was a cover corner that took more chances that led to more interceptions and td's while still providing excellent coverage.

If I'm creating a team from scratch, when it's time to pick a CB I would take Deion over Revis because he was an all around better player. He was a dangerous returner and can spread the field on offense.

No surprise in my pick since I am Prime21

9 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

My favorite memory of Mevi$ is when he faked the hammy when he got burned by Randy Moss.

the-real-reason-the-patriots-signed-revi

He was out the next two weeks. I guess it was all part of that one play fake. 

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

No expert ever said that.  Ever.  That's moronic.  This is made up Kayne Revis sh*t.  There were plenty of DB's in the league shutting down WR's many who are/were better than Revis and many who were damn good at the time.  

Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson, Ty Law, Ronde Barber, Asante Samuel, Rashean Mathis, Charles Tillman, PacMan Jones, Antoine Whitfield...and a bunch more really good corners that could shut down the oppositions #1 WR.

The idea that Revis revived anything is the dumbest sh*t I've ever heard.  That's like saying Ray Lewis revived tackling. 

Go back and read articles from 10 years ago, the talk was how the shutdown corner was a thing of the past.

None of those guys you mentioned with the possible exception of Bailey were even close to true shutdown corners. They were the best corners of the time but none were near a Revis level

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Go back and read articles from 10 years ago, the talk was how the shutdown corner was a thing of the past.

None of those guys you mentioned with the possible exception of Bailey were even close to true shutdown corners. They were the best corners of the time but none were near a Revis level

Nobody ever said that.  Ever.  I just googled it 20 different ways, couldnt find a single article. 

I'd take Charles Woodson, Champ Bailey, Ty Law and Ronde Barber over Revis, all day, any day....all of them were shutting down WR's long before Revis nicknamed himself the Island. 

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

He is the best cover corner of all time.  He didn't have the longevity of some others but no one played the position better at their peak than revis.

as far as Nnamdi goes, he was a media creation playing in anonymity for a bad Oakland team.  He was never on revis' level.

Revis is an absolute lock for the Hall of Fame.  there are many guys who didn't do it very long but how many did it at his level?  he has more all pro selections than all but a few corners in the game. Longevity is nice but you still have to be great and either way Revis was great for long enough.  people tend to only remember their last memories(for now, that will fade by HOF time and we'll just remember his greatness) and act like 2016 was what revis was about but that was one bad year in his career.  He's the greatest player we have ever had in this organization(that played here in his prime and was a long time Jet).

My recollection was that Nnamdi at one time was considered the better pure cover corner, but while he was very good a lot of it was smoke & mirrors because he was hardly thrown at (due to someone else always wide open in Oakland's secondary). Then he goes to Philadelphia in 2011 (after Tanny came in 2nd in the Nnamdi sweepstakes) and the very next year he's suddenly nothing when he's tested more opposite Asante Samuel.

The idea that Revis wasn't thrown at, especially during his best season (2009), is nonsense. He was thrown at over 100x (~7 targets per game). QBs just weren't very successful when they did (37% completion, 4.0 yds/pass attempt). And the list of WRs he was covering that year, with Ty Law coverage rules, made such all the more impossible. 

Still don't think he or any CB was worth $16m on a $120m salary cap - which was solid money for a pro bowl QB at the time - but never doubted his ability until he showed his obvious decline from an unsustainable bar height.

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

My recollection was that Nnamdi at one time was considered the better pure cover corner, but while he was very good a lot of it was smoke & mirrors because he was hardly thrown at (due to someone else always wide open in Oakland's secondary). Then he goes to Philadelphia in 2011 (after Tanny came in 2nd in the Nnamdi sweepstakes) and the very next year he's suddenly nothing when he's tested more opposite Asante Samuel.

The idea that Revis wasn't thrown at, especially during his best season (2009), is nonsense. He was thrown at over 100x (~7 targets per game). QBs just weren't very successful when they did (37% completion, 4.0 yds/pass attempt). And the list of WRs he was covering that year, with Ty Law coverage rules, made such all the more impossible. 

Still don't think he or any CB was worth $16m on a $120m salary cap - which was solid money for a pro bowl QB at the time - but never doubted his ability until he showed his obvious decline from an unsustainable bar height.

Wow, this is wrong on so many levels.  Nandi played zone in Oakland and failed as a man corner in Philly.  The idea that Revis wasn't thrown to, just because, is ridiculous.  He was covering the opponents best WR game in and game out but teams decided to exclude their top WR, from the game?  Who believes this? 

He wanted his money, fans think he held them up or broke arms to get paid.  So they'll diminish one of our best players career into pure nonsense. 

5 hours ago, genot said:

I'd love to buy you a fat ass steak dinner dude.  He wants top dollar for his services, a lot of people do. That's not greed, its an opportunity to secure you and your extended families future when his money making career ends. We don't know his family needs. Maybe someone in his family has a chronic illness and needs money for treatment????Who knows?

So, what you're implying is that if this were Canada, Revis would have been a Jet for life and Walter White never would have cooked meth?

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Wow, this is wrong on so many levels.  Nandi played zone in Oakland and failed as a man corner in Philly.  The idea that Revis wasn't thrown to, because is ridiculous.  He was covering the opponents best WR but teams decided to exclude the, from the game.  Who believes this? 

What are you talking about?

First, you're clearly just looking for something and are so blinded by trying to score on me you're missing the entire point: despite others suggesting the reason Revis had fewer picks was nobody threw at him I'm making the point that Revis was thrown at a lot. And to this you counter with "WRONG -- he WAS thrown at!!"

Next, Nnamdi was given half the field (typically the QB's left side I think) and whichever WR lined up to that side. Since it was always the same side, OCs just exploited the other half (or the middle) of the field by moving their best targets there and that's where QBs threw. He wasn't so perfect as a zone corner on either team, as dozens who watched him more closely point out. Perhaps I suppose I should just take your word over those Oakland/Philly fans who watched him closely on every play.

I'm sure if I wanted to look for more than 2 minutes I could find only 50 more examples, but here's a good quote from the 2nd article above, with film to back it up:

At one stage in his career Asomugha was seen as such a good player that teams gave up testing him. That was made easier by the fact the Raiders would play him at RCB – the side less targeted anyway – and the rest of that secondary was a far more appealing prospect when it came to putting the ball in the air. Nonetheless, I think it’s safe to say that playing in a man-cover scheme Asomugha was a pretty good corner. Whether he ever deserved the Revis comparisons that some people were throwing around is another matter entirely. He appears, however, to have little to no feel for zone coverage, demonstrating a consistent lack of understanding for the subtle differences and changes that zone coverage requires.

Regardless, on neither team was he in a pure zone scheme all the time; they went in & out depending on situation. If he was purely playing off receivers in Oakland, then he wouldn't have been thought of so highly. My point is he wasn't the cover corner Revis was, and sticking like glue and surrendering few completions/yds/TDs what gives any "NFL's Best CB" his name.

He was simply tested less, and since he always played on the same side (as opposed to Revis, who shadowed the other team's #1 no matter where he went, which is what made playing against us comparatively difficult for #1-type WRs), teams could just line up Marshall, Bowe, VJ, or whomever on the non-Nnamdi side. When there was no point in doing that in Philadelphia, with Samuel on the other side, he was tested more by better WRs. 

4 hours ago, King P said:

Lord forbid an athlete wants to make as much money as possible, which he should.

Hilarious how in a cutthroat business where athletes can get cut or traded at any time, we expect them to still be loyal ?

I don't think anyone solely faults Revis for maximizing his earnings.

The point is more that we ought not be expected to love him, as his maximizing his earnings negatively effected the team we root for.  The other point is that Revis was phenomenal for a very short period of time, very good for a slightly longer period of time, and then fell of a cliff completely, where other "all time greats" played at a very high level for much longer.

4 hours ago, TeddEY said:

I don't think anyone solely faults Revis for maximizing his earnings.

The point is more that we ought not be expected to love him, as his maximizing his earnings negatively effected the team we root for.  The other point is that Revis was phenomenal for a very short period of time, very good for a slightly longer period of time, and then fell of a cliff completely, where other "all time greats" played at a very high level for much longer.

Exactly. the price Revis pays  for being a selfish prick is that many fans hate him. 

Im quite certain he doesn’t care, he never did.  NEVER.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Andre Johnson: 4 catches, 35 yards
Randy Moss: 4 catches, 24 yards
Terrell Owens: 3 catches, 13 yards
Marques Colston: 2 catches, 33 yards
Steve Smith: 1 catch, 5 yards
Chad Johnson: 2 catches, 28 yards
Reggie Wayne: 3 catches, 55 yards

From the 2009 season-Against a murders row of WRs, some big and some fast.  he shut them all down and took them out of the game.   Note that Randy Moss did that in two games against Revis.  I was playing Fantasy Football back then and he consistently made number 1 WRs after thoughts when filling out your line up.

If you think this is nothing feel free to show me some other DBs that have had better seasons.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This was always a big part of the issue.  While Revis could take away the best WR pretty consistently at that time, the Pats (et. al) were just running out 5 pass catchers and throwing to someone else.  That's why turning the ball over matters.

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

This was always a big part of the issue.  While Revis could take away the best WR pretty consistently at that time, the Pats (et. al) were just running out 5 pass catchers and throwing to someone else.  That's why turning the ball over matters.

Not in the 2010 AFC divisional round

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DjCANMvs-Y

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I mean, they still were.  That doesn't mean they won every single game.  And, thank you Alge Crumpler for that game.

2-5-NYJ 7(1:49) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete short middle to 82-A.Crumpler.

That game wasnt as close as the score. they scored a late TD when the Jets were in prevent to make it seem close

6 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

That game wasnt as close as the score. they scored a late TD when the Jets were in prevent to make it seem close

NE getting out on top 7-0 may have changed a few things.  Great Jets win but doesn't change my original point.

Archived