Jets Training Camp - 7/30

Patriot Killa

What’s good fellas? Day 4 of camp is here, Day 2 in pads. Our guys will take a break tomorrow and then be right back at it Wednesday, Thursday - and so on. So quick recap, Defense looked vicious yesterday but the offense picked up steam towards the end. Nathan Shepard had another solid practice. Parry Nickerson was flying around every where, Derrick Jones came up with another pick, Jamal Adams put together another excellent practice, Darron Lee was violent, quick, reactive and was blowing up plays in the backfield. He was very responsive to what was happening as the ball was being snapped and didn’t seem out of place, infact he knew exactly what was happening. It seems as if the game has slowed down for him and that may be in credit to just knowing the linebacker position better.

the Tight Ends looked very good yesterday. Neil Sterling was making tremendous grabs all day and showed off his reliability in the passing game as did Chris Herndon. Chris Herndon looks to be a good pick, I really like what he can do, he is an “all-around” type of player. Lawrence Thomas also showed off such great blocking ability but also flashed in the passing game. Jordan Leggett? He made a few catches but I just didn’t hear anything...spectacular if you will.

Yesterday I made a thread acknowledging how awesome the young depth at TE and CB has been looking, i attached a poll to it asking which position would pay off the most from this encouraging play from the youth at both positions. It was pretty much a landslide for the Cornerbacks and I can see why. We may not have great OLB’s(or even good...or average ones) but we may be able to produce some good coverage sacks for our guys this season. Our youth will be important in the flexibility of our sub packages and such, if we can rely on them it will make things so much easier.

So I decided not to do a poll question for today but more of a two way question where you can properly explain your answer to us. 

Who has surprised you most in camp so far in a good way.

Who has surprised you most in camp so far in a bad way.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on what I've read:

Surprised/Excited by: Strong play of Nathan Shephard and Avery Williamson.  This defense has disappointed for years.  I assume TruJo will be very good.  Adding upgrades at the other two levels should hopefully turn things around.  

Disappointed by: Teddy B not really being able to outshine Josh McCown.  Not that he's stinking it up, but I was hoping he'd really light things up and give us a few solid wins early while Darnold figures shit out and then make some other team rabidly interested in signing him when the timing is right.  May still happen though.  It's early.

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Based on what I've read:

Surprised/Excited by: Strong play of Nathan Shephard and Avery Williamson.  This defense has disappointed for years.  I assume TruJo will be very good.  Adding upgrades at the other two levels should hopefully turn things around.  

Disappointed by: Teddy B not really being able to outshine Josh McCown.  Not that he's stinking it up, but I was hoping he'd really light things up and give us a few solid wins early while Darnold figures sh*t out and then make some other team rabidly interested in signing him when the timing is right.  May still happen though.  It's early.

I agree on all levels of this post. They say Avery is already diagnosing plays and running around hitting everyone. Teddy definitely has been average so far with pads on. Nathan Shepherd is just flat out dominate, i’m glad coach Bowles acknowledged that he just needs to learn his technique because that’s wha I was thinking..polished technique to go along with that freakishly strong bull rush? Boy...that’s a bad ass player right there. 

Trumaine Johnson is also said to be almost running the wide receivers routes FOR THEM. So that’s great news.

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I agree on all levels of this post. They say Avery is already diagnosing plays and running around hitting everyone. Teddy definitely has been average so far with pads on. Nathan Shepherd is just flat out dominate, i’m glad coach Bowles acknowledged that he just needs to learn his technique because that’s wha I was thinking..polished technique to go along with that freakishly strong bull rush? Boy...that’s a bad ass player right there. 

Trumaine Johnson is also said to be almost running the wide receivers routes FOR THEM. So that’s great news.

I would say that we upgraded one position in each level of the defense but assuming Claiborne gets healthy and can man the CB2 spot, we actually upgraded both CB spots.  Still a bit underwhelming at the OLB spots but no worse than last season.  Next year's problem.

Best:  Adams or Lee.  I was there yesterday, and that defense is special.  It sounds corny, but you could feel it.  I haven't seen that much pride as a while and a form of brotherhood in all my years of going to camp since 2009.  Adams' personality is really infectious, and you could tell how much he loves this game.  You cant force or front that joy.

worst:  Maybe the receivers.  I didn't notice much from them while I was there.  Didn't see many standout performances.

1 minute ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Best:  Adams or Lee.  I was there yesterday, and that defense is special.  It sounds corny, but you could feel it.  I haven't seen that much pride as a while and a form of brotherhood in all my years of going to camp since 2009.  Adams' personality is really infectious, and you could tell how much he loves this game.  You cant force or front that joy.

worst:  Maybe the receivers.  I didn't notice much from them while I was there.  Didn't see many standout performances.

This is definitely the easiest Jets team to cheer for in quite some time! Defense sound fast, smart and determined. 

I love it.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is definitely the easiest Jets team to cheer for in quite some time! Defense sound fast, smart and determined. 

I love it.

That's what I feel too.  I missed camp last year because I needed to bank PTO for my trip to Europe, but every other year(besides the lockout) I was at nearly every open practice.  I was able to witness a bunch of cool moments, and while there was excitement around a team/ side of the ball, it isn't hard to see that something special is brewing there right now.

This team is young, hungry, and full of life.  The Defense would go apesh*t when one of the guys made a stop.  That play that Adams and Lee blew up, if you missed it, you knew by the thunderous reaction of the players that something great happened.

Hell even at the drills at the end, when a receiver came down with a score, the entire skill position groups celebrated like it was an in game score.

I try to not buy into the hype, and I do consider myself as a temperamental fan who needs to see things for himself to say if its going to be a positive or negative season, but damn I was grinning from ear to ear watching practice yesterday, even sitting in the sun in 85 degree weather with no drink, and the dude behind me shaking the entire bleachers bouncing his foot up and down for an hour straight.

LETS.  F'N.  GO!

3 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

That's what I feel too.  I missed camp last year because I needed to bank PTO for my trip to Europe, but every other year(besides the lockout) I was at nearly every open practice.  I was able to witness a bunch of cool moments, and while there was excitement around a team/ side of the ball, it isn't hard to see that something special is brewing there right now.

This team is young, hungry, and full of life.  The Defense would go apesh*t when one of the guys made a stop.  That play that Adams and Lee blew up, if you missed it, you knew by the thunderous reaction of the players that something great happened.

Hell even at the drills at the end, when a receiver came down with a score, the entire skill position groups celebrated like it was an in game score.

I try to not buy into the hype, and I do consider myself as a temperamental fan who needs to see things for himself to say if its going to be a positive or negative season, but damn I was grinning from ear to ear watching practice yesterday, even sitting in the sun in 85 degree weather with no drink, and the dude behind me shaking the entire bleachers bouncing his foot up and down for an hour straight.

LETS.  F'N.  GO!

Hard not to get goosebumps after reading this.

4 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

LETS.  F'N.  GO!

Now imagine a young QB creating magic on the field on top of that (let's hope). That's why I couldn't get into it with McCown out there, it wasn't the same. 

16 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

You were there yesterday?  Where the hell is the report?  Selfish

:)

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

You were there yesterday?  Where the hell is the report?  Selfish

:)

I will give a little write up later today, but I wouldn't be able to do much more than i already said haha.  I did take a few pictures and videos I could probably post up though:)

1. Jets announce that Sam Darnold has now signed his contract.

3 retweets

Sam Darnold's deal is official, the team announced. We should see him on the practice field shortly. #Jets

Just now, flgreen said:
  1. Jets announce that Sam Darnold has now signed his contract.

3 retweets

Sam Darnold's deal is official, the team announced. We should see him on the practice field shortly. #Jets

Cimini with the change on practicing today, that would be sweeeeeetttttt!   

Archived