Mccagnan Mid-Season Presser with Media

C Mart

Just now, JiF said:

Then tell them you're focused on finishing the season strong.

Homeboy literally just waived the white towel.

I mean, at least he’s realistic? ?‍♂️ Don’t worry guys this season is a wash, it’ll count for real next year when we really make some moves. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Oh like what the Giants did? C’mon man.

I dont know what the Giants did but I cant tell you that it has nothing to do with the Jets.  Say, we're focused on the season.  I'll talk about next year when the season is over.

Simple.  Dont waive the white flag in a midseason presser.

Just now, JiF said:

I dont know what the Giants did but I cant tell you that it has nothing to do with the Jets.  Say, we're focused on the season.  I'll talk about next year when the season is over.

Simple.  Dont waive the white flag in a midseason presser.

If he went rah rah he would have been torched for being unrealistic, like Shumur and the Giants are going through right now.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Why is he talking about the offseason already?  There are still 8 games left in the season.  He's got much faith in his team? 

Right?

Flipping loser mentality. He’s posturing for lower expectations to keep his job.

More consistent? We need to be than consistent to turn this around. We need to be excellent. We’re already consistent... consistently awful. 

10 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

If you want to count Petty as a true attempt then yes. I don’t really count that one. 

Yeah a huge number of people do not count draft picks by mac as actual attempts to improve the roster.  You do not trade up a round of a draft to get who you think is going to be a back up.

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

You know what I mean, why act like you don’t..?

90% Of his job IS during the offseason. Of course GM’s don’t “twiddle his thumbs” in season but most of the work is done Feb-April 

Because, I dont and it's moronic to think that he just hangs out during the season.

Scouting doesnt stop.  Negotiating doesnt stop.  Making inquiries to teams doesnt stop.  Filling holes in your sh*tty roster midseason doesnt stop.   

I'd argue he probably doesnt so much in Feb- April.  What is there to do?  Watch film?  Is that 90% of his job? 

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

If he went rah rah he would have been torched for being unrealistic, like Shumur and the Giants are going through right now.

What is rah rah about saying, "we're focused on finishing the season strong"?  The Jets arent a 1 win team.  They actually have a legit shot at .500 in 2 weeks.

Ssshhhh

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Right?

Flipping loser mentality. He’s posturing for lower expectations to keep his job.

More consistent? We need to be than consistent to turn this around. We need to be excellent. We’re already consistent... consistently awful. 

Seriously.  What's trivial about this?  Losers, plans to lose.  Winners, plan to win.  Mac is already looking to the future half way through the season.

You have a coach who quits on the field and a GM who quits at the podium and dudes are like, this is cool man! 

Losing is cultural. 

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Nothing you say makes any sense. 

This.

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

that is what you got from the presser? seems like a bit of a stretch.

Yes, when I see someone talking about future state, stating how unhappy he is, I would assume that person has lost faith in current state.

What did you take away? 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Yes, when I see someone talking about future state, stating how unhappy he is, I would assume that person has lost faith in current state.

What did you take away? 

He was asked about the future, with cap space and draft picks. Don’t think he was giving up on this season. 

Mac: “we are going to be very active in FA”

No sh*t, Sherlock. We’ve got like 25 people under contract for 2019. Unless at least a third or a 4th of those players are playing at pro bowl level, you’ve assembled band of future insurance agents. 

6 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

He was asked about the future, with cap space and draft picks. Don’t think he was giving up on this season. 

He literally said, "there are things we are going through this season that will help us going forward"...Not "things we went through this first half is going to help us in the 2nd half."

...homeboy waived the white flag on that podium. 

11 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Aside from lucking into Darnold and Lachlan Edwards, standing pat at the deadline this year and not sacrificing assets is the best thing he's done during his tenure. Nice to hear that may have been intentional.

Except when you trade, it’s value for value, asset for asset. Just because we didn’t trade for a player doesn’t mean we saved our assets. In fact, not trading was a loss cuz Mac surely ain’t drafting pro bowlers with his mid round picks. Or even his top 6 picks (3 times out of 5 years...wow...and he’s still the GM). 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

He literally said, "there are things we are going through this season that will help us going forward"...Not "things we went through this first half is going to help us in the 2nd half."

He waved the white flag when the Jets initially signed him. “Well yeah, I’ll stink but the pay is good”. 

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

Because, I dont and it's moronic to think that he just hangs out during the season.

Scouting doesnt stop.  Negotiating doesnt stop.  Making inquiries to teams doesnt stop.  Filling holes in your sh*tty roster midseason doesnt stop.   

I'd argue he probably doesnt so much in Feb- April.  What is there to do?  Watch film?  Is that 90% of his job? 

But I never said he just “hangs out” during the season and even after trying to tell you that’s not what I meant, you still took it upon yourself to run with that narrative. Weird...

anyway, Feb-April he’s getting ready to put together a FA name list from the players they have been targeting since the end of last offseason. He’s getting full scouting reports back because college season is long over and he’s figuring out who he might want to take/interview. Compiling data and piecing the puzzle to the draft together

I never said that his job stops during the season and I definitely didn’t say that he just hangs out. I think we can both agree that his job as well as his scouts jobs are all year around things but 90% of when he puts things into action and executes his part of his job IS Feb-April. That’s what I meant.

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

What did you take away? 

I think any GM would be upset with 3-5 and for him to say he’s unhappy with 3-5 isn’t exactly something I would read too deep into, especially when right after he acknowledged the youth/injuries. I dont think he threw in the towel. I think he just meant that we have to step up and take over our season. Gotta be more consistent because 3-5 isn’t cutting it. But he also understands some of the reasoning for it. 

Thats what I got.

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

You are trying so hard to pick this apart. He also said ??

61172B8D-8001-4503-9C00-BB61EC6EA2B5.jpeg

I can't hate him for not making a trade on the deadline we have some large needs and cant afford to give up the draft capital for an 8 game fix. I still think he has done a decent job bringing talent to the team through free agency and trades in his time with us and I would like to at least see one years worth of his efforts with a competent coaching staff before completely writing him off as a side not though I didn't hate Idzick either.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Because those are what the questions are about?

How you can continue to engage w/some of these.......I mean these guys have been posting for years. The mid-season presser isn't anything new, yet....More power to you.

My main concern is the amount of players that ARE NOT under contract that we have to resign. Free agency has become a goldmine so the odds of resigning players early is lower than it used to be since everyone wants to test the market.

We will be forced to spend time trying to sign our own or let them test the market and hopefully we can match contracts if they truly want to stay with us and not have to relocate.  This will take us away from targeting key free agents and giving them the attention that they usually require. Gotta move FAST in free agency.

Having $100 mil in cap space will in reality be more like $30-$40mil TOPS after resigning our key guys and depth players. I’m hoping we can realistically add a decent pass rusher and at least 1 offensive weapon.

The draft is where we will truly add talent to this team and next year should be about getting a new coaching staff acclimated while shooting for playoffs. 2020 is realistically when we should be an actual contender. It just takes too long to build through modern free agency since not enough good players hit it.

We have to keep adding to what we’ve already built and those botched draft picks are going to continue holding us back since new picks aren’t expected to contribute right away and the old ones are mostly gone or duds. 

Since it looks like Mac is staying (that definitely helps with retaining players and having a front office prepared for this crazy offseason) he needs help with personnel in order to accomplish everything said above regarding draft and FA. I really hope they give Heimerdinky a chance to act like a mini GM to help lessen the load and anyone can take over the drafting as far as I’m concerned at this point. 

Macc's feather in his cap is of course, Darnold. He got this team Darnold thanks to his moving up in the drat move. 

Unless some guy like Holmgren or Cowler want to come back and run the show from A-Z, I think that Macc's back next year.

As for Bowles, i do think that's another matter altogether. Short term wise, if his defensive prowess cannot muster up a way to beat both the Dolphins ( with a back QB) and then the Bills ( with another possible backup QB or worst yet, a rookie-Allen), ownership must make a mental note of this when assessing his performance at the end of the year. Now his players seem to respect him because " he treats them like men". But losing can cause dissension in the ranks. So, if he losses the room, he's definitely a goner.

Then there's ownership. Are they gonna hire another consultation company to hire another coach once again? Or, will they let Macc help choose the next head coach?

stay tuned

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Only three players are under contract that were on the team when he took over -- Quincy Enunwa, Bilal Powell, and Brian Winters.

OK now do the 8-0 Rams...

• How many of their starters on offense were on the team in January of 2015? One: LG Rodger Saffold.
  • How many on defense? Four: Brockers, Donald, Barron, and Joyner

Before you suggest this is all the difference in the world... Great as Donald is they were losing plenty with him until the rest of the team got turned around. Also remember in terms of 5 players vs. 3 players, remember Macc traded away or failed to re-sign 2 young probowl DLmen he inherited. 

So basically, that's about the same number of players that predate the 2015 season. If you want to say the whole difference is Donald, because he's just that dominant, then make the case that the Jets would be 8-0 with a top-3 offense and #6 defense if they also had him on the roster. Actually even that #6 defense is misleading, since it's all skewed based on 3 dog***t opponents they beat on: Oak, Ariz, SF. That team is all offense, and that's the side that has 1 player from the 2014 team compared to 3 on the Jets' offense from 2014.

Put simply, other a single OG, that 33 ppg offense was built since Maccagnan took over here. He had the opportunity to add every single player they did.

37 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Manish Mehta‏ @MMehtaNYDN 

#Jets are well positioned to make a true playoff run.. in 2019.

GM Mike Maccagnan: “We could be in a position in our mind to really springboard this thing forward.”

It's 2018, just FYI

Archived