OC Bates taking full responsibility in live presser

jetstream23

7 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the coaches would be making excuses if they called out the players.  bates didn't.  he may not have said much but what else can he say?  he knows he needs to protect the players and not hang them out.  same thing with bowles and mac.  and it could just be that bowles had given bates a box to play in and that box includes running on first down running on second and a pass not to go beyond the first down marker on third down.

I know. We have established this. 

27 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Finish this sentence....  Morton was such a good OC that after he was fired by the Jets he was hired by ____________.

Finish this sentence . After Todd Bowles was fired by the Jets he was hired by which High School __________________

1 hour ago, Happy Clouds said:

Not sure about that.

Playing Madden didn’t help Bryce Petty much.

It can't help you throw the ball or allow you to throw a post into cover 2 zone, but it can teach you concepts like calling the right play to attack what the defense is showing you. 

It can teach you to run complimentary routes that have easy keys to read, and to set audibles that will work if the defense shows you something that will not work against the play you have called. 

I can't believe these guys don't know these concepts but the proof is right there in front of our eyes through multiple coordinators recently.

You don't run posts ant outs against a cover 2. You run the ball up the middle or run crossers, and slants. Maybe a late seam with the TE after a cross clears out the middle. watch that LBer to see if he follows the cross or drops into a deep zone. You need that shallow cross to either be open or to pull the LB out of the middle.

You don't run the ball or run shortcross/slants against cover 1. It's going to get bottled up in traffic. You do run a 9 with a post inside and read the safety. Then you can switch up the routes with identical motion. 

You can run some zone counters to keep them honest but you do not run dives up the gut on 3rd and short into a stacked box. Zone counters were supposed to be a staple of this Shanahan offense. I haven't seen any in awhile. 

Basically you will learn that some plays are absolutely never going to work against some defenses. Some will work some of the time but are risky, and some will work almost every time you make the proper reads. 

Watching the Jets you learn that there is one game plan and if the defense is not what we hoped for then there's no way to adjust until we watch the tape on Monday. 

5 hours ago, Stark said:

And then what Bates really wants to say is:

"Bowles is F**ng hamstringing me and the playcalling. He doesn't want us throwing the ball until 3rd and 7+. I can't work with this guy limiting me to calling only 8 plays a game.... For F**Cks sake, I don't know why I agree'd to take this job with a HC the has no clue that in todays game you have to throw, the rules favor you throwing, this archaic 1970's offense if Bull Sh!t, but that s what he wants. He's my boss I have to do what he says."

Screenshot_2018-11-08-19-00-46~2.png

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Finish this sentence....  Morton was such a good OC that after he was fired by the Jets he was hired by ____________.

I’m not saying that he was “good”. He was Better than what Bates has been so far and changing blocking schemes has not worked. It’s about the stupid/unnecessary changes that were made that clearly hurt the offense. 

6 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Morton was able to do more with even less just last year. I’m tired of excuses. 

I liked Morton. Then he publicly admitted that Bowles quit in the Denver game and Bowles couldnt dump him fast enough. Bates is being clearly heavily heavily influenced by Bowles. Bowles is so overdue for being fired.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Morton was good. Was the offense fantastic under him? No...but it was a long cry from every pre-season expectation of the 2017 Jets offense setting records for futility. 

Watch highlights from the 2017 games. Anderson and Kearse were regularly open where this year they seem to always be covered (especially Kearse). That's just good scheming on the OC's part.

6 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

My guess is that his contract was guaranteed and he is taking a break while sticking it to the Jets.  He was also fired relatively late and missed the job openings.  

Bowles will regret firing him.  

Archived