FREE AGENT O-LINE

Lonewolf

We need an upgraded O-LINE.  Period.  Should be a priority. Games are won in the trenches, and we must protect our young QB, as well as create holes for run game.  

Which O lineman do we target?  I think we need at least the best guard available with some treds left on the tires.  Must address a lineman ASAP for Darnold.  

Will Long be a guard or back to center next year?  He better bust his ass this offseason    

IMO-

beachum can hold us over for another year but would like an upgrade  

winters- serviceable 

Long - better step the f up 

need pro bowl caliber free agent for carpenter 

shell- coming into his “shell”.  Should be above average tackle for next few years 

Good point nycdan.  Norwell young pro bowl player.  

Unfort it seems in NY they won’t go near it u less it’s a “sexy” pic. 

Straight up NEED a quality o line to win.  If we don’t address this in draft and free agency we will barley improve 

the utter disgrace of macs tenure is all i can say.

John Idzik drafted two olineman that are still on the team in two drafts.  Mac one in 4.

he takes flyers on late round CBs,

He has guys like Qvale who are just brutal when ever they have to play on the line for years.

ever wonder why in camp leo and sheppard and the rest of our dline  'can't be blocked?'

Mac probably listens to his coaches too much at draft time.  There was an article once by DrZ a few years back in which he had talked to a long time respected gm /personnel guy.  He said "Never listen to your oline coach when it comes time to getting oline talent" because more than any other position coach they think they can make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

the utter disgrace of macs tenure is all i can say.

John Idzik drafted two olineman that are still on the team in two drafts.  Mac one in 4.

he takes flyers on late round CBs,

He has guys like Qvale who are just brutal when ever they have to play on the line for years.

ever wonder why in camp leo and sheppard and the rest of our dline  'can't be blocked?'

Yeah you nail it.

Maccagnan just so awful.  I mean you don’t have to be an experienced NFL exec, just have the slightest ability to think critically to know, hey, maybe I need to start building an Oline before I have to panic and grab a potential Franchise QB? Even though we’re too embarrassed to even let anyone see my Hackenberg pick take even 1 single solitary snap, maybe I should try upgrading the Oline for even Kirk Cousins? I’ll get him no matter the cost, the fact he’s 4-25 against teams with winning records, no one will find out about that”.

2018 Jets...WORST run blocking team statistically in the NFL, 5th most expensive.

Just draft Oline first 5 Rounds this year.  Can you imagine Darnold with an Oline who is just semi competent in BOTH Pass and Run blocking?

The worst part is I think Darnold will be so good that Maccagnan will be GM for as long as he is a Jet.  He’s going to make so many people look good, who shouldn’t...will be a shame in that sense. 

Getting a new Head Coach isn’t that big a deal in my opinion either, all the Jets need is no better than average and they should be a playoff team for the next 15 years...First Miami game, Cleveland (with Bowles running out the clock with 40 minutes left), Houston (Bowles/KC Rogers D collapses for the Nth time), Green Bay (Bowles/Rogers D collapses for the Nth+1 time)....there is an 8 Win season right there, and Bowles would definitely still be coach.  Jets could still be stuck with the worst coach I’ve ever seen on any level.  So all be thankful they are not.  So only Maccagnan is left.

47 minutes ago, nycdan said:

That's why not even talking to Andrew Norwell last year was mind-boggling.  Best FA Guard on the market in years.  Not a peep from Jets who stand pat.  

just another one of the Many questionable decisions made by this teams "brain" trust.

5 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Yeah you nail it.

Maccagnan just so awful.  I mean you don’t have to be an experienced NFL exec, just have the slightest ability to think critically to know, hey, maybe I need to start building an Oline before I have to panic and grab a potential Franchise QB? Even though we’re too embarrassed to even let anyone see my Hackenberg pick take even 1 single solitary snap, maybe I should try upgrading the Oline for even Kirk Cousins? I’ll get him no matter the cost, the fact he’s 4-25 against teams with winning records, no one will find out about that”.

2018 Jets...WORST run blocking team statistically in the NFL, 5th most expensive.

Just draft Oline first 5 Rounds this year.  Can you imagine Darnold with an Oline who is just semi competent in BOTH Pass and Run blocking?

The worst part is I think Darnold will be so good that Maccagnan will be GM for as long as he is a Jet.  He’s going to make so many people look good, who shouldn’t...will be a shame in that sense. 

Getting a new Head Coach isn’t that big a deal in my opinion either, all the Jets need is no better than average and they should be a playoff team for the next 15 years...First Miami game, Cleveland (with Bowles running out the clock with 40 minutes left), Houston (Bowles/KC Rogers D collapses for the Nth time), Green Bay (Bowles/Rogers D collapses for the Nth+1 time)....there is an 8 Win season right there, and Bowles would definitely still be coach.  Jets could still be stuck with the worst coach I’ve ever seen on any level.  So all be thankful they are not.  So only Maccagnan is left.

Agree. Mac has failed to draft a line or even target a pro bowl caliber lineman!  Darnolds ceiling is insane, and thw fastest way to get there is by building a fortress around him for years to come. Period.  

Damn free agency.

IMHO, the time has come for the Jets to sink some early round picks into the O-Line ALA 2006 when Mangini took over. I wouldn't mind going O-Line with our 1st 3 picks LT, Center and Guard in that order Best available at those respective positions rounds 1 through 4.

The O-line needs a quality injection of youth.

1 minute ago, ARodJetsFan said:

IMHO, the time has come for the Jets to sink some early round picks into the O-Line ALA 2006 when Mangini took over. I wouldn't mind going O-Line with our 1st 3 picks LT, Center and Guard in that order Best available at those respective positions.

Our best draft was taking Brick and Mangold In first round. Both pro bowlers we had for about a decade each

31 minutes ago, Lonewolf said:

Philc1 wouldn’t mind those signings.  We just need new line plane and simple these guys can’t get it done. We need old school, tough, nasty MFers

They will be available in free agency.  Question is whether Mac is smart and aggressive enuff

26 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

No. Trade down and draft your olinemen. Free agency is a trap

Damien Woody, James Carpenter, Kevin Mawae, Jumbo Elliot. I know I’m forgetting a really solid guard too. Pete Kendall was it or was he bad? Someone remind me. But anyway, I feel like offensive line is actually one of the better places to get free agents. 

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Damien Woody, James Carpenter, Kevin Mawae, Jumbo Elliot. I know I’m forgetting a really solid guard too. Pete Kendall was it or was he bad? Someone remind me. But anyway, I feel like offensive line is actually one of the better places to get free agents. 

Kendall helped us get to two playoff appearances in 3 years before Mangini ran him out of town

Yes, you can sign quality OL

2 hours ago, SheaRay said:

Quality O lineman don't grow on trees. And the good ones, generally, aren't let out the door from teams that drafted them.

This is why the Jets need to abandon BPA and target OL in the draft.

May have to give up something big on D for a great young OL. 

2 hours ago, Lonewolf said:

Good point nycdan.  Norwell young pro bowl player.  

Unfort it seems in NY they won’t go near it u less it’s a “sexy” pic. 

Straight up NEED a quality o line to win.  If we don’t address this in draft and free agency we will barley improve 

Faneca was Tanny's sexiest FA!

2 hours ago, Lonewolf said:

We need an upgraded O-LINE.  Period.  Should be a priority. Games are won in the trenches, and we must protect our young QB, as well as create holes for run game.  

Which O lineman do we target?  I think we need at least the best guard available with some treds left on the tires.  Must address a lineman ASAP for Darnold.  

Will Long be a guard or back to center next year?  He better bust his ass this offseason    

IMO-

beachum can hold us over for another year but would like an upgrade  

winters- serviceable 

Long - better step the f up 

need pro bowl caliber free agent for carpenter 

shell- coming into his “shell”.  Should be above average tackle for next few years 

A realistic but challenging plan....

Sign Center Matt Paradis.

Slide Long permanently to Left Guard and backup Center.  Let Carpenter walk.

Draft Jonah Williams to play RT in 2019.

Compete Shell against both Winters and Long at OG for 2019 and let him play backup RT to Williams.

Beachum for one more year at LT until sliding Williams over there in 2020.  Shell goes back to RT.

LT - Beachum

LG - Long

C - Paradis

RG - Winters

RT - Williams

In 2019 you'd likely have upgraded LG (Carpenter to Long), Center (Long to Paradis) and RT (Shell to Williams)

LT - J. Williams

LG - Long (or FA or Draft pick)

C - Paradis

RG - Winters (or FA or Draft pick)

RT - Shell

In Spring of 2019, the Jets would probably look at a FA or draft upgrade for at least one of the OG spots.  Get younger and get better while hopefully having Center, Left Tackle and Right Tackle locked down.

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Compete Shell against both Winters and Long at OG for 2019 and let him play backup RT to Williams.

Beachum for one more year at LT until sliding Williams over there in 2020.  Shell goes back to RT.

LT - Beachum

LG - Long

C - Paradis

RG - Winters

RT - Williams

In 2018 you'd likely have upgraded LG (Carpenter to Long), Center (Long to Paradis) and RT (Shell to Williams)

LT - J. Williams

LG - Long

C - Paradis

RG - Winters

RT - Shell

In 2019, the Jets would probably look at a FA or draft upgrade for at least one of the OG spots.  Get younger and get better while hopefully have Center, Left Tackle and Right Tackle locked down.

I like!

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I think things have changed.  Teams seem to know the value of the guards and centers now.  The cap is so high now that teams can keep guys they want more easily.  There is more chaff than wheat out there nowadays

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

LT - Beachum

LG - Long

C - Paradis

RG - Winters

RT - Williams

In 2019 you'd likely have upgraded LG (Carpenter to Long), Center (Long to Paradis) and RT (Shell to Williams)

LT - J. Williams

LG - Long

C - Paradis

RG - Winters

RT - Shell

In 2019, the Jets would probably look at a FA or draft upgrade for at least one of the OG spots.  Get younger and get better while hopefully have Center, Left Tackle and Right Tackle locked down.

Don’t know much about OL in this year’s draft or FA, but on the surface, this seems well researched and thought out. I’m in!

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Faneca was a stud.  He helped D'Brick and Mangold alot...

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

At some point Brandon Moore was a good one for us.

Going back a bit further, Dwayne White, the Road Grader.

5 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Faneca was a stud.  He helped D'Brick and Mangold alot...

He pulled like a beast.. I don’t know why it’s so hard for Mac to comprehend, he has a top pick every yr. he could have copied the mangini blueprint, draft 2 studs top of a draft, mac had 4 drafts, didn’t draft 1 OL before 6 round ?and just sign 1 pricey FA and we can plug in the other 2 spots.. it’s not rocket science, mac makes himself look like a bigger idiot than he is by going around saying he can find a OL gem in the late rounds.. ya sure, I may hit on powerball too, but  my odds are  a lot better playing the pick 3

Archived