NFL Weekend Playoff Game Thread

joewilly12

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the aggressive call.  Worst case it doesn't work and you've got Dallas starting off backed into their own end zone.  That score right there comes pretty close to icing this game on the other hand.  Cowboys would still need 2 quick TDs, a 2 pt, and an immediate stop of the Rams in between just to get it to OT.  Can't see that all happening.

Aaron Donald was drafted 13th in the 2014 NFL Draft. Incredibly, 12 of the first 17 players drafted that year are Pro Bowlers.

In fact, picks 9 through 17 are Pro Bowlers.

The 18th pick in that draft was Calvin Pryor.

1 minute ago, SMC said:

Aaron Donald was drafted 13th in the 2014 NFL Draft. Incredibly, 12 of the first 17 players drafted that year are Pro Bowlers.

Wow, didn't know that 

3 minutes ago, SMC said:

Idzik!!!!! He used math so he was good 

3 minutes ago, CTM said:

I'm normally 100% for aggressive calls but not taking the 3 there to go up 2 scores seems questionable. Wonder if he had data on that 

I agree. The right call was to kick the field goal to go up two scores. A touchdown looks good on the scoresheet but was the riskier play to go for it on 4th down.

The right result should not be confused for the right process.

8 minutes ago, SMC said:

Aaron Donald was drafted 13th in the 2014 NFL Draft. Incredibly, 12 of the first 17 players drafted are Pro Bowlers.

And the 20th was Brandin Cooks (who most of this board wanted at 18).  And the 23rd was Dee Ford.  Actually of the 32 players taken in the first round that year, 29 are still in the NFL.  Pryor, plus Browns draft picks Johnny Manziel and Justin Gilbert are the other 3.  There is a reason the Jets and Browns have sucked for most of this decade.

1 minute ago, Aussie Jet said:

I agree. The right call was to kick the field goal to go up two scores. A touchdown looks good on the scoresheet but was the riskier play to go for it on 4th down.

The right result should not be confused for the right process.

I would have kicked.  Worked out for them, but I don't see the reward being worth the risk since it is a 2 possession game either way.  Get stuffed on 4th down and you are up 1 score. 

This may have already been talked about but does anyone else find it funny that offensive savant in the NFL is heavy on the run game and play action passing?  Like such old school staples, but done so well.  The way the game of football is progressing, you wouldn't think the top offense in 2018 would be centered around such basic concepts.

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

They've got to go for the onside here, right?

Sure, they've got all 3 timeouts, but basically a couple of first downs ends this game.  Can you really have that level of faith against the Rams?

Probably.

Either way their ****ed. Onsides have been at an 8% rate this season.

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

They've got to go for the onside here, right?

Sure, they've got all 3 timeouts, but basically a couple of first downs ends this game.  Can you really have that level of faith against the Rams?

The new rule makes it so unlikely to recover though. I like the play from the early game where Vinitari drilled it right at the guy, almost worked 

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Probably.

Either way their ****ed. Onsides have been at an 8% rate this season.

1 minute ago, CTM said:

The new rule makes it so unlikely to recover though. I like the play from the early game where Vinitari drilled it right at the guy, almost worked 

Yeah, the new onside kick situation definitely sucks.  I think they need to do another rule reevaluation this year.  I get the changes on kickoffs for safety reasons, but you can certainly have different rules for onside kicks if you wanted.  Basically a similar concept to how the team's opt for 2 pt or extra point.  Obviously it wouldn't help with any "surprise" onside kicks, but to allow the old rules for "declared" onside kicks should help.

But despite the very low odds, the truth is regardless of whether they did a kickoff or a failed onside kick, they'd still need a 3 and out, so while the odds are against you, the additional of the onside kick option does actually add a little more in your favor.  The only risk is in how long of a drive you'll have to make, but you have to worry about even getting the ball before that's a concern.

Archived