Jets 1 more CB away from top 10 defense

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We're going to have the # 1 run defense but our pass defense is going to be outside the Top 20. 

If that's the case, it'll almost certainly mean that the Jets' offense is putting up a lot of points and the other team has been forced to throw the ball. I'll take it. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, slats said:

If that's the case, it'll almost certainly mean that the Jets' offense is putting up a lot of points and the other team has been forced to throw the ball. I'll take it.  

Or they decide its pointless to run on us when its far easier to torch our corners on deep throws and our LB's on wheel routes. 

2 hours ago, varjet said:

I actually agree with the OP here.  The Jets have taken a lot of low round/FA flyers on CBS, and the only ones that look decent are Trumaine and Roberts.  If a Rhodes or Harris freed up, using cap space for them would make sense.  If I am Mac I am thinking about that to save my job.  I would not worry about give the likes of Jones, Clark, Nickerson, Robinson a chance.  Switch one of them out.  

But on the flip side, given Cashman and Hewitt I think Lee could go, as could McClendon, who was never really a fit for this defense anyway.  

I would add another real WR and OG/C to that list too.  Then we will be talking.  

I have used many adjectives in a sentence with Tru Johnson, "decent" is most certainly not one of them.

2 hours ago, slats said:

This. You might give up more than average passing yards because a a team losing late in the game is not going to burn clock running the ball. Lots of people not to grasp the choices an opponent makes don't happen in a vacuum, but rather are dictated by the score and how much time is left in the game. Which is why stats when evaluating a football team can be very deceiving.Recall Rex Ryan crowing morning, noon and night about how great his Jets were against the run;  big f___ing deal. With a terrible offense that kept the defense on the field all day, was simply a waiting game for opposing offenses waiting for a tired Jets defense to yield a mess of big pass plays. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I have used many adjectives in a sentence with Tru Johnson, "decent" is most certainly not one of them.

I predict with the pressure of knowing he can get cut in 2020 and lose real money, and Gregg W. breathing fire up his XXX, Trumaine will be a decent CB in 2019-decent, not worth the money.

If Mac wanted to protect his job he would get his hands on another CB with his extra cap space, and maybe use freed money from Leo, McClendon and Lee.  Try to cut Trumaine in 2020 and take the hit if he does not restructure.  

• Upvote 1

Top 10 defense? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Let's see:

DL: A good, but not great DE in Anderson, an out-of-position, lazy sack of shit in Leo, a rookie, and an old, slow guy that can't pass rush

LB: An overpriced 3-4 tackler that can't cover to save his life in CJ, a decent, but not good, OLB in Jenkins, a good, but not great LB who can't cover to save his life in Williamson

Secondary: An overpriced CB that played terrible last season, a nobody on the other side of him, a great safety behind him, and an often-injured, decent safety behind the nobody.

Sounds like a recipe for the GOAT defense!

Nope. We need more than a CB. We need LBs that can cover, we need a pass-rusher, and we need another safety that can cover, along with a decent nickel/dime CB.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

8 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Let's see:

DL: A good, but not great DE in Anderson, an out-of-position, lazy sack of shit in Leo, a rookie, and an old, slow guy that can't pass rush

LB: An overpriced 3-4 tackler that can't cover to save his life in CJ, a decent, but not good, OLB in Jenkins, a good, but not great LB who can't cover to save his life in Williamson

Secondary: An overpriced CB that played terrible last season, a nobody on the other side of him, a great safety behind him, and an often-injured, decent safety behind the nobody.

Nope. We need more than a CB. We need LBs that can cover, we need a pass-rusher, and we need another safety that can cover, along with a decent nickel/dime CB.

Oh come on man.  Don't you know that DT's, ILB's and Box Safeties are the key to any elite defense in the NFL in 2019?  

9 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'd much rather have a top 10 offense. 

Note to "Super Bowl or bust" guys, You can't actually win without a competent defense so I agree with Jetster we need another CB.

but the biggest gap on the Jets today between what we need and what we have is at WR, specifically Quincy. Still like to see them pry loose a big time WR from a team not going anywhere like Dallas did last year. If Macc could do that I would be impressed.

On 5/2/2019 at 5:30 AM, Jetster said:

So we still have 30 million burning a hole in our wallet. Do we go into the season talking a chance with with this CB group as it stands? Or do we aggressively solidify it with another high priced veteran? 

When word arose that Chris Harris or Xavier Rhodes could become available for a trade, right away I thought Macc needs to morph into trader Mike & do what he has to do keep opposing offenses from scorching our secondary. 

The Jets are getting pretty deep up front & at LB with a lot of guys that can be rotational players. Luvu, Copeland, Hewitt, not household names, but guys that might play a huge role in Gregg Williams pressure schemes now that teams will have their hands full inside with L & Q Williams. How will the Williams boys help out the hustling Anderson? Then for depth you still have McClendon (might be cut if Shepard or Foley rise). At LB we added a stud in Mosely to a decent now veteran guys Avery Williamson & Jenkins. 

Contrary to popular belief here Jamal Adams brings it every week & is an ascending player in this league, don't believe it? Don't worry he'll tell you ?. If Marcus Maye could get through a damn season this is a helluva tandem at safety behind this line & the LBs. It allows Williams to bring pressure from every level of the defense. 

This is where things get iffy is at CB. Will any of these young CBs step up? Will Williams pressure allow them to play more aggressive compared to Bowles/Kacey backpedal defensive style? My biggest fear is that Trumaine Johnson fails & we have no one to replace him & because of this I think it's imperative to get another veteran CB in here. Even better if one of the young guys develops is the option to replace Tru if he falls off a cliff or hurts himself counting his money. Poole was a great addition to bring toughness in the slot, I would hate the fact that we've upgraded this entire defense, Q.Williams, Polite, Cashman + free agency, and have these weak points at CB that teams can target & exploit when we can't get pressure. It's a long way from the opener so I hope Macc can close this one loophole I see in this team on defense. 

A couple of things here. First off, YES, its too early to be talking about the Jets defense being one anything away from a top 10 defense in the NFL. Are a lot of the pieces there? Yes. I believe so. But to prognosticate where we will be ranked before the 53 man roster is set or the team gets to play a regular season game is early.

Two- I get that there were rumors that the Jets tried to move up to the second round for one of the top CBs in the draft. I get that CB was a position of weakness for the Jets last year. And I realize many Jet fans simply don't like some of the CBs on the roster- 'Roberts is not a true#2, Tru is old and sucks now, Poole is overrated'. I hear this a lot from fans. 

However, this notion that the Jets need to go out and trade for a veteran CB as a #2 doesn't make sense to me. The Jets brought in a defensive coordinator who worked with their #1 CB (Tru) when he was one of the best CBs in the NFL. Said CB is signed long term for big money. I'm not saying they brought in G.Williams specifically to coach up Tru but I'm sure G.W. is looking forward to Tru being on his roster as the #1. Roberts was a guy who has played well every single time he got a chance to start as a #2- due to injuries to Mo. When Maye got hurt Bowles decided it would be a great idea to start him at FS. So I think a lot of Jet fans saw him lose that #2 spot and think, this guy is apparently not that great. But in the offseason, the Jets forked over a good amount of money to KEEP Roberts. Not only that, but they also invested a considerable amount of money for Poole (a nickel), so it's not like Roberts was signed to play slot or a backup role. CLEARLY, whether fans like it or not, the Jets see Roberts as a legit #2 CB. The aforementioned Poole was another signing for the Jets that was specifically targeted at replacing Skrine- and IMHO that will be one of the biggest upgrades b/c Skrine was so god awful at coverage. He could do some other things well but coverage was not one of them. 

Now lets look at some of the depth at CB. Now, I understand that these guys were brought in from a different coaching regime. However, these were guys Macc drafted/signed who are young, talented and barely got a chance to play under Bowles, who everyone knows is an old school guy and believes in giving vets countless opportunities despite poor play. Nickerson (Nickel/Slot): played well given the opportunity- I thought he would be an upgrade over Skrine if only he was given some more reps to catch up to the speed of the NFL. Robinson: injury plagued start to his career but stayed healthy all of last year and played great every chance he got to play. This guy has great size, athleticism and speed. If he was in the draft this past year, he would be a first round talent, I have zero doubts about that. D.Jones: Another guy who was drafted late, coming into the NFL very raw, but showing the elite speed and athleticism to play in the NFL. Every opportunity he got last year he looked like he was finally 'getting it'. Except he barely got to play. That's already 6 CBs, none of whom I believe the Jets have ANY intention of cutting or even keeping off the 53 man roster. I mean, the top 3 guys are locks and the next 3 guys have a clear advantage. And I haven't even mentioned the rookie CB from Rutgers of the CB from Akron they signed. 

So, to me, unless the Jets get a game changing type of veteran CB in a trade. Not much will change at the CB position and it shows that they are actually pretty confident with who they have- whether Jet fans lie it or not. 

Now- if the Jets DID try to move up Rd. 2 for a top CB, then why would they do that? Well, maybe they felt one of those guys WAS a future #1 and the value was immense for a Rd. 2 pick. I honestly don't know. But that's the only way I could see a move like that making sense. In that case they would probably let go of robinson or Jones or Nickerson. 

*A Note About Pass Rush:

The Jets tried to sign a pass rusher in FA and missed out. They would have probably drafted Bosa if he was there but he went #2 overall. But they got who they believed was one of the top pass rushers in the draft in Polite. Whether or not he works out nobody knows. But TO ME a team does not have to have an elite pass rusher to generate sacks or put pressure on the QB and more importantly, to win games. Just like a team does not need a TRUE #1 WR to win games or score plenty of points (name the last team to win a SB with a TRUE #1). 

The Jets have a lot of players that can contribute rushing the passer and generating pressure on the QB. And they added two top prospects in that regard via the draft- QW and Polite. The Jets now have Anderson, QW, and Leo- all interior D-linemen who can collapse the pocket and put pressure on the QB. They have Edge guys in Jenkins, Polite and Copeland who may not be elite but have shown they can do the same off the edge. And that's without even talking about scheme and how that is way to rush the passer- blitzing, etc. A good coach, good safeties and depth goes a long way when it come to scheme- and I think the Jets have that.

Another thing (and maybe this is of less consequence but caught my eye) is how many UDFAs Macc brought in at the Edge/OLB position who play like their hair is on fire and have a knack at getting to the QB. I mean, if you look into some of these guys, they will definitely make the competition for backup roles at those positions very interesting. 

27 minutes ago, PepPep said:

A couple of things here. First off, YES, its too early to be talking about the Jets defense being one anything away from a top 10 defense in the NFL. Are a lot of the pieces there? Yes. I believe so. But to prognosticate where we will be ranked before the 53 man roster is set or the team gets to play a regular season game is early.

Two- I get that there were rumors that the Jets tried to move up to the second round for one of the top CBs in the draft. I get that CB was a position of weakness for the Jets last year. And I realize many Jet fans simply don't like some of the CBs on the roster- 'Roberts is not a true#2, Tru is old and sucks now, Poole is overrated'. I hear this a lot from fans. 

However, this notion that the Jets need to go out and trade for a veteran CB as a #2 doesn't make sense to me. The Jets brought in a defensive coordinator who worked with their #1 CB (Tru) when he was one of the best CBs in the NFL. Said CB is signed long term for big money. I'm not saying they brought in G.Williams specifically to coach up Tru but I'm sure G.W. is looking forward to Tru being on his roster as the #1. Roberts was a guy who has played well every single time he got a chance to start as a #2- due to injuries to Mo. When Maye got hurt Bowles decided it would be a great idea to start him at FS. So I think a lot of Jet fans saw him lose that #2 spot and think, this guy is apparently not that great. But in the offseason, the Jets forked over a good amount of money to KEEP Roberts. Not only that, but they also invested a considerable amount of money for Poole (a nickel), so it's not like Roberts was signed to play slot or a backup role. CLEARLY, whether fans like it or not, the Jets see Roberts as a legit #2 CB. The aforementioned Poole was another signing for the Jets that was specifically targeted at replacing Skrine- and IMHO that will be one of the biggest upgrades b/c Skrine was so god awful at coverage. He could do some other things well but coverage was not one of them. 

Now lets look at some of the depth at CB. Now, I understand that these guys were brought in from a different coaching regime. However, these were guys Macc drafted/signed who are young, talented and barely got a chance to play under Bowles, who everyone knows is an old school guy and believes in giving vets countless opportunities despite poor play. Nickerson (Nickel/Slot): played well given the opportunity- I thought he would be an upgrade over Skrine if only he was given some more reps to catch up to the speed of the NFL. Robinson: injury plagued start to his career but stayed healthy all of last year and played great every chance he got to play. This guy has great size, athleticism and speed. If he was in the draft this past year, he would be a first round talent, I have zero doubts about that. D.Jones: Another guy who was drafted late, coming into the NFL very raw, but showing the elite speed and athleticism to play in the NFL. Every opportunity he got last year he looked like he was finally 'getting it'. Except he barely got to play. That's already 6 CBs, none of whom I believe the Jets have ANY intention of cutting or even keeping off the 53 man roster. I mean, the top 3 guys are locks and the next 3 guys have a clear advantage. And I haven't even mentioned the rookie CB from Rutgers of the CB from Akron they signed. 

So, to me, unless the Jets get a game changing type of veteran CB in a trade. Not much will change at the CB position and it shows that they are actually pretty confident with who they have- whether Jet fans lie it or not. 

Now- if the Jets DID try to move up Rd. 2 for a top CB, then why would they do that? Well, maybe they felt one of those guys WAS a future #1 and the value was immense for a Rd. 2 pick. I honestly don't know. But that's the only way I could see a move like that making sense. In that case they would probably let go of robinson or Jones or Nickerson. 

*A Note About Pass Rush:

The Jets tried to sign a pass rusher in FA and missed out. They would have probably drafted Bosa if he was there but he went #2 overall. But they got who they believed was one of the top pass rushers in the draft in Polite. Whether or not he works out nobody knows. But TO ME a team does not have to have an elite pass rusher to generate sacks or put pressure on the QB and more importantly, to win games. Just like a team does not need a TRUE #1 WR to win games or score plenty of points (name the last team to win a SB with a TRUE #1). 

The Jets have a lot of players that can contribute rushing the passer and generating pressure on the QB. And they added two top prospects in that regard via the draft- QW and Polite. The Jets now have Anderson, QW, and Leo- all interior D-linemen who can collapse the pocket and put pressure on the QB. They have Edge guys in Jenkins, Polite and Copeland who may not be elite but have shown they can do the same off the edge. And that's without even talking about scheme and how that is way to rush the passer- blitzing, etc. A good coach, good safeties and depth goes a long way when it come to scheme- and I think the Jets have that.

Another thing (and maybe this is of less consequence but caught my eye) is how many UDFAs Macc brought in at the Edge/OLB position who play like their hair is on fire and have a knack at getting to the QB. I mean, if you look into some of these guys, they will definitely make the competition for backup roles at those positions very interesting. 

That was a helluva response to me wanting them to spend to the cap for a stop gap CB like Harris or Rhodes. Sorry, either 1 of those guys is better than Roberts. Teams play nickel & dime a lot in this league now. What's wrong with spending to the cap as long as it doesn't stymie your future cap? So if Gregg Williams actually USES some of these young guys in certain situations & we find a diamond in the rough #2 CB for 2020 well AWESOME. I'm not advocating signing either to a long term contract, I'm asking them to be a mercinary in 2019 for the NY Jets, and to help us win games & close teams out. 

On 5/2/2019 at 7:57 AM, peebag said:

How about the Rutgers kid?  You know, the one without any knees?  What's his chances?

He is a talented CB that flashed a ton of potential before the knee injuries. Has the size, skill and speed to play on the outside. Needs to add some weight. He was snagged in the 6th round with massive injury concerns. However, let's not act like we know more than the Jets team of scouts and evaluators. From what I have read he is expected to make a full recovery and the Jets did a thorough job with their doctors looking at the knee. He will start on PUP which will allow them to carry him into the season and continue recovering from his injury. It's not like the kid can't walk. Recovering from an ACL tear is a long process, especially if you are trying to get back to football shape. He is essentially a high upside rookie taken LATE in the draft who they will stash until he is ready to show what he can do. I have zero issue with that pick. And if he pans out to be a starter it will be a huge steal, even if eventually he gets injured again. 

I 100% agree that Macc has made some questionable signings and draft choices. I agree that he has not gotten the Jets into the playoffs. But the criticism he gets from some fans is absurd. He takes a risk with a draft pick- he's a moron, he takes a safe draft pick- he's a moron, he doesn't trade down- hes a moron, he trades down but doesn't get great value- Jets got screwed, fire Macc, he can't sign a guy who clearly doesn't want to play for the Jets- he's a moron fire Macc, he gets a great player that we needed desperately- he got lucky Darnold fell to him (despite the fact that he traded up)- hes a moron fire Macc, he trades up and ends up with Franchise QB- we got fleeced look what the Colts got and now we have no 2nd round pick- fire Macc, he doesn't draft the position you wanted him to draft at the spot where you wanted him to address that position- moron fire him. Macc trades for a former Pro Bowl OG, resigns a ton of depth on the O-line, drafts a potential OT starter, signs the top slot WR, signs the top RB in FA (and possibly the top RB in the NFL), drafts the best blocking TE to block for said RB, holds on to our top deep threat, signs two special teams WRs as returners BUT doesn't draft an offensive player in the first two rounds and Jets fans are like: Macc is ignoring the offense, fire him. I mean, seriously, this is absurd. I'm not even exaggerating here. Yes, the Jets still need an upgrade at C and could upgrade elsewhere on the O-line. But c'mon, some of the things you hear are straight up asinine.     

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

That was a helluva response to me wanting them to spend to the cap for a stop gap CB like Harris or Rhodes. Sorry, either 1 of those guys is better than Roberts. Teams play nickel & dime a lot in this league now. What's wrong with spending to the cap as long as it doesn't stymie your future cap? So if Gregg Williams actually USES some of these young guys in certain situations & we find a diamond in the rough #2 CB for 2020 well AWESOME. I'm not advocating signing either to a long term contract, I'm asking them to be a mercinary in 2019 for the NY Jets, and to help us win games & close teams out. 

It was more of a general response to fans who want the Jets to go out and sign or trade for a CB b/c they believe its such a big need. 

My point was that if you bring in a vet- even on a 1yr deal, you risk losing one of the young talented CBs you have been developing who are on the back end of your roster, it just doesn't make sense to me. Roberts may not be as good as Harris or Rhodes but the Jets signed him to play #2 CB, not a backup safety. The contract reflects that. They like him enough to have done that so going out and getting a 1yr stop-gap CB to play that position does not make sense to me. Roberts is the #2 guy and Poole is the Slot guy and both were signed to contracts that clearly represent that intention from Jet Brass. 

Now, I agree. If the new coaching staff does not have much faith in Jones or Nickerson or Robinson, sure, bring in a veteran CB who can play with Poole, Tru and Roberts in one way or another (maybe that puts Poole in Dime or sub packages only). But again, does not make that much sense to me.  

The problem is Trumaine Johnson. He’s bad. He’s can catch which is good but he’s bad at covering WRs. On the other hand, when playing CB, Roberts is good. Like actually good. Get Xavier Rhodes, Vikings could use a Darron Lee or get Chris Harris, the Broncos also need a Darron Lee type. I think Johnson could start at CB and end up at FS by the end of the year.

14 hours ago, PCP63 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Let's see:

I don't know how you can expect anyone to take this seriously. I mean, c'mon man, I'm hoping you're better than this. Why post this kind of nonsense. I mean, this is troll territory. I get that you want to vent about the team but can you at least put together a rational argument and be a bit more accurate. It's fine if you have negative opinions about players, but this is such nonsense- its a shame.

I mean, calling Leo a 'an out-of position lazy sack of sh*t'? You're just making yourself sound like a troll. It's like calling Aaron Rodgers an over the hill locker room cancer who can't get his team into the playoffs. I mean its silly, stop it already and put some decent content on here.  

23 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The problem is Trumaine Johnson. He’s bad. He’s can catch which is good but he’s bad at covering WRs. On the other hand, when playing CB, Roberts is good. Like actually good. Get Xavier Rhodes, Vikings could use a Darron Lee or get Chris Harris, the Broncos also need a Darron Lee type. I think Johnson could start at CB and end up at FS by the end of the year.

We shall see. Anyway you slice it the Jets are stuck with Tru this season- IMO. 

He definitely had a bad year but I think it's tough to look at that and say 'he's bad a covering CB's'. Especially with the reputation Tru has around the league. Then you add the fact that he will be playing with a coach that truly knows how to use him and the fact that he is pretty much slotted as the #1 CB, it's going to be HIS job to lose. If he shows any promise to getting back to form he will be the #1 CB coming into the season- whether fans believe that is a good thing or not. I highly doubt (barring terrible play) that he will be move to a backup safety role. Maybe if Maye gets hurt AND Tru starts off playing poorly. But I don't see that happening. 

14 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I don't know how you can expect anyone to take this seriously. I mean, c'mon man, I'm hoping you're better than this. Why post this kind of nonsense. I mean, this is troll territory. I get that you want to vent about the team but can you at least put together a rational argument and be a bit more accurate. It's fine if you have negative opinions about players, but this is such nonsense- its a shame.

I mean, calling Leo a 'an out-of position lazy sack of sh*t'? You're just making yourself sound like a troll. It's like calling Aaron Rodgers an over the hill locker room cancer who can't get his team into the playoffs. I mean its silly, stop it already and put some decent content on here.  

What's inaccurate about it? He's lazy, and he's playing out of position. 

23 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

What's inaccurate about it? He's lazy, and he's playing out of position. 

He's not lazy, he plays hard from what I have seen ever since the Jets drafted him. And he is a DT/DE who could probably play anywhere on the line depending on scheme and formation. So THERE- inaccurate. 

And you are reducing a player like Leo to simply 'a lazy sack of sh*t (also, just completely unnecessary to insult him) who plays out of position' as if that is all he brings to the team and HE decides where he plays.

The rest of your comments (talking about Pro Bowler CJ mosley) as a 3-4 tackler (wtf does that even mean) and Roberts as a 'nobody' (wtf does THAT even mean...do you not know who he is??)...are troll worthy.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, PepPep said:

He's not lazy, he plays hard from what I have seen ever since the Jets drafted him. And he is a DT/DE who could probably play anywhere on the line depending on scheme and formation. So THERE- inaccurate. 

And you are reducing a player like Leo to simply 'a lazy sack of sh*t (also, just completely unnecessary to insult him) who plays out of position' as if that is all he brings to the team and HE decides where he plays.

The rest of your comments (talking about Pro Bowler CJ mosley) as a 3-4 tackler (wtf does that even mean) and Roberts as a 'nobody' (wtf does THAT even mean...do you not know who he is??)...are troll worthy.  

I don't believe Leo should be playing DE. He's best-suited as a 3-technique player. And there were many instances last year of Leo slacking on plays. What I mean by CJ being a 3-4 tackler is that he's an old-school linebacker that can stop the run sideline-to-sideline, but can't cover to save his life. Roberts is JAG.

Not trolling at all. I want all of these players to play great, and I want a top 10 defense. But we're not even close right now.

• Upvote 1