JN Run Club

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Because @T0mShane is running a Half Marathon in Joshua Tree and it’ll be funny to watch him die.

Also, @The Crusher has promised me a head-to-head 10K at Jets @ Skins this year.  So that’ll be fun!

Anyone run?

I have started walking on a treadmill using the incline feature.  My goal is to start running soon.   I use to run until I was 25 but not anymore.  It’s pathetic

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’s pretty freaking impressive. How long did it take you to work up to 10+ miles without dying? 

This was obviously during marathon training last year.  About 2 months into training, 4 runs per week, I did a 14M run in Hershey that wasn’t a total disaster.  Around ~9:20.  A month later was doing a 20M, and the light runs were 8-12M.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

I have started walking on a treadmill using the incline feature.  My goal is to start running soon.   I use to run until I was 25 but not anymore.  It’s pathetic

If I remember correctly, your username is your zip.  There’s some great short runs/jogs/walks along the FDR path that would make a great start.

The Queensboro Bridge is 1.4M with a serious incline, and beautiful, when you get your strength on the inclines.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

This was obviously during marathon training last year.  About 2 months into training, 4 runs per week, I did a 14M run in Hershey that wasn’t a total disaster.  Around ~9:20.  A month later was doing a 20M, and the light runs were 8-12M.

9:20s over 14m is fantastic. I can get close to that for three miles, but then I collapse. Do you use any tricks to pace yourself? I have a habit of running too hard early and then breaking down. At Coney Island, I ended up tailing a pack of runner-looking people and that helped for a good stretch, until they took off after mile 2. 

I used to be a runner.  I recently started again because I am fat.  It's kind of rough because I have a lis franc thing and I am fat.  Right now I am just doing 1 mile jogs on the treadmill because I have an 18 month old and I don't want to drop dead.  I think I will be able to work up fairly quickly, but I don't anticipate getting too much speed back.  Maybe I will be ready to join you guys on one of your 5-10 k's one day.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

9:20s over 14m is fantastic. I can get close to that for three miles, but then I collapse. Do you use any tricks to pace yourself? I have a habit of running too hard early and then breaking down. At Coney Island, I ended up tailing a pack of runner-looking people and that helped for a good stretch, until they took off after mile 2. 

I'm a pretty sh*tty pacer.  Because, in part, I'm pretty new to running, relatively speaking.  And, because my mentality is that I don't want to leave anything out there, and often screw myself in that way.  I cost myself probably 10 min on my marathon because I came out way too fast.  The excitement was real.  I ran the 1st mile in low 8s, hit the marker on the Verazzano and was like, oh sh*t, I'm in trouble.  But, struggled to slow down.  I honestly thought at 2M I was going to bow out because my left leg felt ****ed.  But, somehow it just worked itself out, and frankly, I was flying (for me).  On top of that, I got there late and missed my heat, and somewhere in my head, I felt I needed to catch up.  So stupid.  In my mind, I could hit 3:45, and so I was going for it, because I felt great.  Didn't happen.  Didn't come close.  I died at mile 19, with a bad mile at 16 up the Queensboro bridge.  All this to say, don't listen to me about pacing.  Also, if you need to pee, stop.  That was my other mistake.  I thought at mile 16 I could just hold off.  I couldn't.  I pissed blood in the Bronx.  Decided, at that point, that I'd rather go to the hospital than quit, so I kept going.

But, I have a Garmin watch, and I use it to keep myself somewhat honest.  The rest is psychological, once your legs are there.  There are people who look like they're in terrible shape, and they're going to blaze past you.  You can't let that deter you, and you have to run your race.  Eventually, you'll learn what your paces feel like.  Your body will crave that speed, and you'll find it.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I used to be a runner.  I recently started again because I am fat.  It's kind of rough because I have a lis franc thing and I am fat.  Right now I am just doing 1 mile jogs on the treadmill because I have an 18 month old and I don't want to drop dead.  I think I will be able to work up fairly quickly, but I don't anticipate getting too much speed back.  Maybe I will be ready to join you guys on one of your 5-10 k's one day.

I'm blaming my 3 month old son for the fact that I lost a minute per off my 4M time in the past couple months.

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Also, as far as pacing, I learned that it takes me like 4M to settle in.  At least when I'm well trained.  So, I always tried to treat the first four as my warmup, and then it was time to go.  Helped pace things out a bit, or at least, delayed hitting the wall.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Maybe you could adjust the straps on the baby bjorn? :)

This kid's been through enough in three months - I'm considering just bubble wrapping him and cutting a small hole for a straw for feeding and one for breathing.

Though, don't tell my wife, I ran in flip flops up the Queensboro Bridge with him the other day in the bassinet.

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Also, running folk, any tips for dealing with knee tendinitis? I get it occasionally and it knocks me out for a week at a time. The literature says to just train less, but that seems counterproductive. 

get on an elliptical - takes the stress off the knees

14 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Because @T0mShane is running a Half Marathon in Joshua Tree and it’ll be funny to watch him die.

Also, @The Crusher has promised me a head-to-head 10K at Jets @ Skins this year.  So that’ll be fun!

Anyone run?

Used to run back in the day. 17 marathons and 3 ultras plus numerous 1/2's , 30 K's , 10K's and 5K's for speed workouts.  No time and too much punishment on the knees from football did me in . Now I just run from the TV to the fridge for snacks.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Also, running folk, any tips for dealing with knee tendinitis? I get it occasionally and it knocks me out for a week at a time. The literature says to just train less, but that seems counterproductive. 

Ibuprofen TOm .  It takes about an hour to kick in but it really helped me. 800-1000mg used to be on my diet.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

the 1/2 marathon was my favorite race. you GOTTA pace yourself early TOm. Do you have a realistic time in mind? If so just wear a watch and try to keep that projected pace early on. We used to laugh at the "kids" who took off like rockets as the gun went off only to have us "vets" pass them about 1 1/2 miles out.

Another note : DRINK EARLY , and often in the race. Gotta stay hydrated. If you wait till you're thirsty it's TOO late, especially at distances.

Good luck to you.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I ordered the patellar straps that @TeddEY recommended. They’re set to get here Friday, so I’m going to hold off on  my long run until then. I’ll do some speed work tomorrow instead 

When is your 1/2 marathon TOm ? You want to start tapering down the week before the race. Any LSD then will do little good. It will just tire you out for the big day. By a week before the race either you have it or you don't have it.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m not supposed to load up on ibuprofen because I’ve had ulcer issues in the past. 

I think being a Jets fan is probably a lot more of a contributing factor to your ulcers than ibuprofen.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

Used to run back in the day. 17 marathons and 3 ultras plus numerous 1/2's , 30 K's , 10K's and 5K's for speed workouts.  No time and too much punishment on the knees from football did me in . Now I just run from the TV to the fridge for snacks.

Wow.  You were the real deal, huh.  I have a friend who did an Ultra not that long ago.  Longtime soccer player.  Said he liked the super long distance because time was never a pressure.  Nobody asks what you ran an Ultra in.  Also, as you said below, I think 1/2 is the best distance.  Long enough to be serious, but not so long that I need to invest 500 miles into training.  Marathons are just silly.  Of course, I'm doing NYC again in 2020.  But, after that I think I'm done.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

the 1/2 marathon was my favorite race. you GOTTA pace yourself early TOm. Do you have a realistic time in mind? If so just wear a watch and try to keep that projected pace early on. We used to laugh at the "kids" who took off like rockets as the gun went off only to have us "vets" pass them about 1 1/2 miles out.

Another note : DRINK EARLY , and often in the race. Gotta stay hydrated. If you wait till you're thirsty it's TOO late, especially at distances.

Good luck to you.

I was that kid last November.  Though, I lasted about 16 miles before hitting queensboro and then died on Willis Ave.  The rest was pure pain.  I have this awesome photo of me crossing, looking completely destroyed.  There's a dude right behind me who's happy as can be.  I looked up his bib, was 20 minutes faster than him, so I felt less bad about the fact that he's got this huge smile and I'm like death.

As for hydration and stuff, @T0mShane, start experimenting with Gels.  You need nutrition for a half.  I use GU.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Wow.  You were the real deal, huh.  I have a friend who did an Ultra not that long ago.  Longtime soccer player.  Said he liked the super long distance because time was never a pressure.  Nobody asks what you ran an Ultra in.  Also, as you said below, I think 1/2 is the best distance.  Long enough to be serious, but not so long that I need to invest 500 miles into training.  Marathons are just silly.  Of course, I'm doing NYC again in 2020.  But, after that I think I'm done.

Your friend is quite correct. No pressure in the Ultras. Just try to finish. My best was 8:27:29 in the 50 miler. My easiest marathon was my 1st. After that you know you can finish so you're running against the clock. Now there's some pressure, less fun too. lol

I dreame of running an ultras behind a pickup with 2 naked woman in the truck bed and the tailgate down. It would have to be electric because of the exhaust fumes. lol

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I was that kid last November.  Though, I lasted about 16 miles before hitting queensboro and then died on Willis Ave.  The rest was pure pain.  I have this awesome photo of me crossing, looking completely destroyed.  There's a dude right behind me who's happy as can be.  I looked up his bib, was 20 minutes faster than him, so I felt less bad about the fact that he's got this huge smile and I'm like death.

As for hydration and stuff, @T0mShane, start experimenting with Gels.  You need nutrition for a half.  I use GU.

lol   Hey running fast for 16 miles is terrific. When you were "dead" at the end you knew you gave it your all. Did you carb load before the race ? Sounds like you hit "the wall". In my running days I fasted some. I trained my body to use stored fat when that glycogen supply was gone. 5 of my 17 marathons were run in negative splits. 94-95 something for the first have and 89-90 for the 2nd half. Felt good at the finish with a decent kick that last mile.

Fasting may not be for you but maybe take some VERY baby steps with it.

Keep on runnin and be safe.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

lol   Hey running fast for 16 miles is terrific. When you were "dead" at the end you knew you gave it your all. Did you carb load before the race ? Sounds like you hit "the wall". In my running days I fasted some. I trained my body to use stored fat when that glycogen supply was gone. 5 of my 17 marathons were run in negative splits. 94-95 something for the first have and 89-90 for the 2nd half. Felt good at the finish with a decent kick that last mile.

Fasting may not be for you but maybe take some VERY baby steps with it.

Keep on runnin and be safe.

Yeah, you’re definitely a real runner with those numbers.

I didn’t do anything crazy - I ate a reasonable pasta dinner the night before.  Cliff Bar morning of.  Gels every 4-5.  Didn’t want to feel heavy.  My biggest missteps we’re coming out to quickly, for one.  But moreso, in training, because most of it was in high sixties and up, I never peed.  All the water was sweat out.  It was a beautiful day, but much cooler.  At about 10M or so I had to pee, but figured I could make it.  By 17, it was excruciating.  At 20, I stopped and pissed a good deal of blood.  Made one more stop at 21-22.  It totally messed me up.  Didn’t break 4.  Lesson learned.

16 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Ran a bunch of 1/2s a few years ago (9-10 min miles nice and easy) and a few tris. Running got to be boring so I mostly swim and bike.

Agree with @TeddEY GU is great. 

I may try to do the Hamptons Tri next spring.  Have a friend who did it.  Need to figure out how to get pool and bike time.  That’s the challenge.  Running is easy as far as time and resources.

Watermelon GU FTW

• Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Anyone run?

I ran the Charlotte Marathon in 2017, almost killed me.  It was 33 degrees. Ran the Tampa Half in January of 2017.  I run as part of a broad workout but never run more than 3 miles now.  Im now in really good shape from HIIT workouts, lifting, running etc. No more long distances for me.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Yeah, you’re definitely a real runner with those numbers.

I didn’t do anything crazy - I ate a reasonable pasta dinner the night before.  Cliff Bar morning of.  Gels every 4-5.  Didn’t want to feel heavy.  My biggest missteps we’re coming out to quickly, for one.  But moreso, in training, because most of it was in high sixties and up, I never peed.  All the water was sweat out.  It was a beautiful day, but much cooler.  At about 10M or so I had to pee, but figured I could make it.  By 17, it was excruciating. At 20, I stopped and pissed a good deal of blood.  Made one more stop at 21-22.  It totally messed me up.  Didn’t break 4.  Lesson learned.

Sorry I took so long to respond, just got back from a car cruise. WTF ! If you could actually see the blood no wonder you were messed up. I've had plenty of years with blood in my urine but you could only tell with a test strip. Did you find out why ? Were you drinking enough during the race ? Honestly I don't think I've ever had to pee during a race, #2 yes but not pee.

Hope you got it checked out. That's scary sh*t Tedd.

55 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Sorry I took so long to respond, just got back from a car cruise. WTF ! If you could actually see the blood no wonder you were messed up. I've had plenty of years with blood in my urine but you could only tell with a test strip. Did you find out why ? Were you drinking enough during the race ? Honestly I don't think I've ever had to pee during a race, #2 yes but not pee.

Hope you got it checked out. That's scary sh*t Tedd.

I'm pretty confident that it was from pounding on a completely full bladder for all those miles.  It felt more urethral than in my kidneys, (or anywhere else) and by my 4th piss, it was completely gone.  I'd have gotten it checked out if it persisted, but no issue again, and, well, I'm not dead.  So, I guess it was fine.

At the time, yes, terrifying.  But, honestly, this thought occurred to me, and yes, it's an unhealthy one... I decided in that moment there were two negative possibilities.  One, quit and go to the hospital or two, keep going and let them peel me off the ground and go to the hospital.  Either way, figured I probably wouldn't die.  So, I might as well get dragged into the hospital rather than quitting/having to tell people I quit.

You also don't need to pee probably because you run an hour plus faster than me.  I'd have made it to 3 hours.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I ran the Charlotte Marathon in 2017, almost killed me.  It was 33 degrees. Ran the Tampa Half in January of 2017.  I run as part of a broad workout but never run more than 3 miles now.  Im now in really good shape from HIIT workouts, lifting, running etc. No more long distances for me.

Was hoping you'd show up when I made this thread.

What was your marathon like?

I'd very much prefer the 33 degrees to the Tampa heat.  I did the NYC half last year in March, and it was in the 30s.  It was brutal up until the start.  But then, settled in fine.  I spend Christmas week in Miami every year, and running there is a nightmare.  Hate it.

• Sympathy 1