Stepping UP

In another thread I posited the likely/hopeful outcome of the 2019 season and the impact it will have on the 2020 season.  A significant step in that equation is which young guys can step up to take out some expensive veterans.  Here's a look at some of them.

• Chuma Edoga - I think Edoga will play a huge role in what will be needed in 2020.  If he can step in adequately for Winters and solidify the RG spot, that a potential $7.5mm savings and a draft pick that could be used on another position.  Or, if he can show potential at LT that would be an eight figure saving on a veteran or a first round pick at that spot.  There's a lot riding on Chuma.
  • Parry Nickerson - If Nickerson can be coached up to eliminate the need to re-sign Poole or another veteran free agent, that wold result in a reasonable savings.
  • Sheppard/Fotukasi - If either guy can show he can be a decent rotational player, McClendon and his $3mm won't be needed.
  • Derrick Jones - If I had to point to one thing that epitomized Bowles's stubbornness  it is how he used (or didn't use) Jones.  What did he have to lose by playing him in the second half of the season rather than just the last game?  Nothing!  If Jones can become a decent CB2, Roberts' $6mm can be spent elsewhere.
  • Jachai Polite - Will he be the guy who donned a Gators uni or be the guy who crapped the bed leading up to the draft?  If he's even 50% of his Florida tape, there's something here.  There's a lot riding here.  If he's not the guy, a first or second round pick will be needed to find THE guy.
  • Cashman - Not a lot is expected of Cashman and it's unlikely he will make enough of an impact to take out Avery Williamson in 2020.  But if he shows enough progression and can stay healthy, he can have a longer term impact on Douglas's needs.
  • Harrison - This one is the most obvious.  However, his play will not only dictate 2020 needs, it will have a direct impact on this entire season.  I expect Douglas to bring in a vet to provide backup insurance but this could be a MUST for 2020.

I know there's a lot of negative sentiment about all these guys based on who picked them, but the more youngsters that step up, the better off Douglas and the Jets will be.

• Upvote 1

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, combine the beef, egg, onion, milk and bread OR cracker crumbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste and place in a lightly greased 5x9 inch loaf pan, OR form into a loaf and place in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
  3. In a separate small bowl, combine the brown sugar, mustard and ketchup. Mix well and pour over the meatloaf.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour.

You might also like
image.jpg

10 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

In another thread I posited the likely/hopeful outcome of the 2019 season and the impact it will have on the 2020 season.  A significant step in that equation is which young guys can step up to take out some expensive veterans.  Here's a look at some of them.

• Chuma Edoga - I think Edoga will play a huge role in what will be needed in 2020.  If he can step in adequately for Winters and solidify the RG spot, that a potential $7.5mm savings and a draft pick that could be used on another position.  Or, if he can show potential at LT that would be an eight figure saving on a veteran or a first round pick at that spot.  There's a lot riding on Chuma.
  • Parry Nickerson - If Nickerson can be coached up to eliminate the need to re-sign Poole or another veteran free agent, that wold result in a reasonable savings.
  • Sheppard/Fotukasi - If either guy can show he can be a decent rotational player, McClendon and his $3mm won't be needed.
  • Derrick Jones - If I had to point to one thing that epitomized Bowles's stubbornness  it is how he used (or didn't use) Jones.  What did he have to lose by playing him in the second half of the season rather than just the last game?  Nothing!  If Jones can become a decent CB2, Roberts' $6mm can be spent elsewhere.
  • Jachai Polite - Will he be the guy who donned a Gators uni or be the guy who crapped the bed leading up to the draft?  If he's even 50% of his Florida tape, there's something here.  There's a lot riding here.  If he's not the guy, a first or second round pick will be needed to find THE guy.
  • Cashman - Not a lot is expected of Cashman and it's unlikely he will make enough of an impact to take out Avery Williamson in 2020.  But if he shows enough progression and can stay healthy, he can have a longer term impact on Douglas's needs.
  • Harrison - This one is the most obvious.  However, his play will not only dictate 2020 needs, it will have a direct impact on this entire season.  I expect Douglas to bring in a vet to provide backup insurance but this could be a MUST for 2020.

I know there's a lot of negative sentiment about all these guys based on who picked them, but the more youngsters that step up, the better off Douglas and the Jets will be.

A  lot depends on how well these guys are coached.  I had zero confidence in the ability of our last slap dick regime to coach up or develop anyone.  This new staff is stout. The most solid staff we've had since the Parcells days.  I look for a lot of 2nd and 3rd year guys to have their strongest seasons in 2019.  Even guys like Jordan Jenkins, who has played well, is going to have real evaluators and coaches up his a$$.  I look for him to have his best year yet. 

So all of the guys you mentioned are going to be given the best shot to succeed. The really good news is if they aren't showing signs of improvement and potential, I also look for this regime to cut bait a touch sooner than the last regime as well. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Oh, you've started other threads?

:P

This one is different though. It’s a thread about another one of his threads.

22 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

What's up Meatloaf???

Dude. 

When you need to call 5 different people a day “meatloaf” because they’re tired of you starting a thread based on every random thought you have....

maybe YOU should make a meatloaf instead?

BTW Just kidding, Boop, do your thing.... positivity is good!

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

This one is different though. It’s a thread about another one of his threads.

Dude. 

When you need to call 5 different people a day “meatloaf” because they’re tired of you starting a thread based on every random thought you have....

maybe YOU should make a meatloaf instead?

Dude...

I don't get it why my posts bother you so much.  If you feel they're repetitive, don't read them.  Move on to the next post.  It's that simple.  Is there a space limit on this site?  Are you worried they're going to run out of room for posts you find acceptable?  They're not.  If you find posts about the second half of the Oilers game in 1997 enjoyable, then read that post.  As for me, I'll keep posting what I want to post.

41 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Dude...

I don't get it why my posts bother you so much.  If you feel they're repetitive, don't read them.  Move on to the next post.  It's that simple.  Is there a space limit on this site?  Are you worried they're going to run out of room for posts you find acceptable?  They're not.  If you find posts about the second half of the Oilers game in 1997 enjoyable, then read that post.  As for me, I'll keep posting what I want to post.

41 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Dude...

They don’t bother me at all, in fact I get a kick out of them. 

I actually edited my last post before I saw this one to add in an “attaboy”. I apologize if my dopey sense of humor doesn’t come across and instead I come off like a d**k. I actually like you and your posts. 

I think it’s really funny when you come back with the meatloaf remarks. I apologize that my teasing come off the wrong way, that’s on me.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Chuma won’t even get a shot at guard. Tom Compton is the Brian Winters back up plan. Chuma will play a limited role at back up right tackle and make the move to LT next year if all goes well. Even then I still see us drafting a tackle in the first 2 rounds. 

Nickerson is simply a depth player in the slot role drafted in the 6th round.Poole is on a 1 year team friendly deal worth 3 million, won’t even be on the team next year unless he out preforms expectations.

MCClendon value is more in the locker room and being a team leader. Guy has tremendous work ethic and shows in practice, great mentor for Q for his rookie year. He will be retired next year. Think of how Mccown was for Darnold, but with a little more playing time. 

Daryl Roberts contract is actually laid out good for the Jets when you look into the details. All guarantee money was given as his signing bonus. Basically he is on a 1 year 4.5 million deal, he plays well and we only have to give him 6 million next year, under preforms and you can cut him with no dead money after this year. I think D.Jones will finally get the playing time he deserves, however if he is our starting number 2 corner, then that probably means things didn’t go to well for us and your projections of 11-5 in your other thread are off. 

Polite is an absolute animal on tape. 

Cashman was drafted to be a strong ST player and back up line backer when Williamson or Mosley are not being used. Actually just like how Neville Hewitt fit in for us last year, solid depth piece. 

Dont expect Douglas to bring in a veteran center unless one gets cut in preseason which happens, something just feels though like Harrison is going to get all the opportunity in the world to start at center. 

29 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

They don’t bother me at all, in fact I get a kick out of them. 

I actually edited my last post before I saw this one to add in an “attaboy”. I apologize if my dopey sense of humor doesn’t come across and instead I come off like a d**k. I actually like you and your posts. 

I think it’s really funny when you come back with the meatloaf remarks. I apologize that my teasing come off the wrong way, that’s on me.

It's all good 14!

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

Chuma won’t even get a shot at guard. Tom Compton is the Brian Winters back up plan. Chuma will play a limited role at back up right tackle and make the move to LT next year if all goes well. Even then I still see us drafting a tackle in the first 2 rounds. 

Nickerson is simply a depth player in the slot role drafted in the 6th round.Poole is on a 1 year team friendly deal worth 3 million, won’t even be on the team next year unless he out preforms expectations.

MCClendon value is more in the locker room and being a team leader. Guy has tremendous work ethic and shows in practice, great mentor for Q for his rookie year. He will be retired next year. Think of how Mccown was for Darnold, but with a little more playing time. 

Daryl Roberts contract is actually laid out good for the Jets when you look into the details. All guarantee money was given as his signing bonus. Basically he is on a 1 year 4.5 million deal, he plays well and we only have to give him 6 million next year, under preforms and you can cut him with no dead money after this year. I think D.Jones will finally get the playing time he deserves, however if he is our starting number 2 corner, then that probably means things didn’t go to well for us and your projections of 11-5 in your other thread are off. 

Polite is an absolute animal on tape. 

Cashman was drafted to be a strong ST player and back up line backer when Williamson or Mosley are not being used. Actually just like how Neville Hewitt fit in for us last year, solid depth piece. 

Dont expect Douglas to bring in a veteran center unless one gets cut in preseason which happens, something just feels though like Harrison is going to get all the opportunity in the world to start at center. 

Thanks for the post.  All good comments.  My concern with Chuma is if he's only used in a backup T role we won't really know if he can play LT next year.  I really think Winters is not very good and should be replaced if possible.  Agreed that Roberts contract is well constructed for the team.  If both he and Jones crap out money and/or picks will need to be spent on a CB2.  I'm hoping a vet C is cut somewhere and we pick him up.  If not, that's a potential disaster area.  Cashman will be a very valuable ST guy but I'm hoping he shows more.  There's only so many resources to go around next offseason and I'm really hoping some of these youngsters step up.

I didn't say they would be 11-5.  I believe that was someone else.  I'm hoping for 9 wins.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Dude...

Wouldnt a simpler way of going about things is to just show a little restraint and not start repetitive threads?  To just put your random thought into a thread it belongs in?

You know instead of starting another thread and then fighting with people, calling them meatloaf whatever and having to say, "if you dont like it move on" 50 times in a thread. 

When, call me crazy it makes more sense to just not start the thread in the first place

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Nickerson looked like he had potential sometimes, but was overzealous and made dumb penalties. Maybe good coaching can help him.

Well with Buster Skrine gone we have a slot open for that kind of player.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Dude...

This is actually a really important point. Deserves its own thread.

• Haha 2

You can launch all of those guys into the sun and it wouldn’t make a difference as to the future of the Jets franchise. China, Nickerson, and Polite are all headcases who most likely won’t be here long. It’d be nice if Derrick Jones showed a little something, though. 

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Wouldnt a simpler way of going about things is to just show a little restraint and not start repetitive threads?  To just put your random thought into a thread it belongs in?

You know instead of starting another thread and then fighting with people, calling them meatloaf whatever and having to say, "if you dont like it move on" 50 times in a thread. 

When, call me crazy it makes more sense to just not start the thread in the first place

He likes to use the threads as a forum for self-indulgent diatribes. The happenstance to be teased, allows him to solicit support from the oddballs that side with him - sincere of not - serving the ego. This is the best it’s gonna get for him, since he’s not receiving the unheralded praise for his musings that he thinks he deserves.

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

You can launch all of those guys into the sun and it wouldn’t make a difference as to the future of the Jets franchise. China, Nickerson, and Polite are all headcases who most likely won’t be here long. It’d be nice if Derrick Jones showed a little something, though. 

I expect the same things from these Mac picks as we’ve gotten from the others.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

He likes to use the threads as a forum for self-indulgent diatribes. The happenstance to be teased, allows him to solicit support from the oddballs that side with him - sincere of not - serving the ego. This is the best it’s gonna get for him, since he’s not receiving the unheralded praise for his musings that he thinks he deserves.

Thats painting a sad existence.

Makes a lot of sense though

15 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

As for me, I'll keep posting what I want to post.

The question is why.

I mean no one is enjoying them, most are telling you to stop.

Why would you say I'll keep posting what no one other than you wants to see clogging up the front page?

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You have been getting mileage out of the "shooting guys into the sun" thing.

I like it, its zany and different for a change.

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I do like the idea that a player we've never seen is already graded as useless and wont be here long.

Maybe there is something to learn in this useless thread afterall

• Haha 1