The roster depth problem can be fixed, but can Gase's emotional intelligence get better?

jetscrazey

At this point it's pretty clear Gase has not done any reflection or changed his ways 1 bit from Miami.  Same shallow passing offense and same abrasive style with the players, calling them out left and right publicly.  Now there's a right way to do it like Parcells did, where he calculated it based on how each player can respond to it, but Gase just seems to indiscriminately do it.   I just don't know if a coach can last very long in NY with this style before it implodes on him.  I hope I'm wrong but if this keeps up I'll be surprised if he makes it to year 4.

If I'm Christopher Johnson (clearly I'm not - I'm way smarter because I wanted to dump Macc in January) I'm having a sitdown with Gase and telling him to work on his emotional intelligence, to understand that handling NY and the media here, and the way the media tries to fuel discord, is unlike anything he's ever been through before.  Maybe even get an EQ coach.  Gase is clearly a smart guy but he's not a people person, and guess what, NFL head coaches need to have people skills.  Shoot even Belichick can get through to his guys in his own boring way.

I think Gase is a bridge HC who basically is training for his next OC job.  The Jets get a supposed offensive wiz to develop Darnold, and Gase gets a job to show what he can do.  That is why the Hobbit is the OC-he does not really do anything.  Everyone knows the real OC is Gase. 

The Jets wanted Rhule. CJ needs to build a roster, QB and organization a real coach wants to work for.  I was hopeful Gase could get it together and be a long-term HC.  He is not looking good after week 1. Let’s see the next 16.  It’s not about the wins. 

Utlimately it will come down to wins and losses.  Gase has a fairly mediocre roster to work with. How long he lasts will likely depend on if he can  squeeze enough wins out of this roster to survive the disquiet until Douglas's future draft classes hopefully transform this sh*t show. That said getting on with the media has not won anyone any super bowls. Where Gase is going to manufacture  a few wins in the next six weeks, I'm not sure...his best chance of an early win was clearly this Sunday past. It may get ugly by the end of October but there will be a chance to redeem himself approaching November.

17 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If you're an HC going into your first game of the season and you've been advised by your OL coach and OC that the OL isn't right you're going to protect your QB by designing a gameplan that utilizes the short stuff.

With 60 minutes of game action and a full week of practice, I'm expecting the OL to be significantly improved on Monday night and therefore a gameplan that will stretch the field.

The problem isn't the HC.  It's the personnel.

SAR I

For us knowledgeable fans, the issue with the Bills loss is less the loss itself than the plan and selection of kicker to go with.  We watched Kalil get beat up and wonder whether he is better than Harrison. We wonder if JD could have done better looking for CBS. 

We want a win Monday night, but the next best thing is a better plan.  I am tired of complaining about the Center 

28 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If you're an HC going into your first game of the season and you've been advised by your OL coach and OC that the OL isn't right you're going to protect your QB by designing a gameplan that utilizes the short stuff.

With 60 minutes of game action and a full week of practice, I'm expecting the OL to be significantly improved on Monday night and therefore a gameplan that will stretch the field.

The problem isn't the HC.  It's the personnel.

SAR I

This is plausible 

i hope you’re right 

27 minutes ago, varjet said:

For us knowledgeable fans, the issue with the Bills loss is less the loss itself than the plan and selection of kicker to go with.  We watched Kalil get beat up and wonder whether he is better than Harrison. We wonder if JD could have done better looking for CBS. 

We want a win Monday night, but the next best thing is a better plan.  I am tired of complaining about the Center 

Douglase came in halfway through the offseason. What starting corners are out there on the free market? Please tell me. 

This is the offense he advertised.  Why is anyone surprised?  We are supposed to have a short passing offense, that hopefully breaks some and gets YAC.  This is supposed to open it up for the run game and a few deep hits. They didn't get much after the catch and they missed a few very close deep balls. 

They hit on a shot to Anderson and the chatter is very different this week.  They were not far off, and with the lack of practice and preseason time, the entire NFL looks like Pop Warner until week 4.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, varjet said:

What they saw in practice made Douglas and Gase comfortable with the K and the C.  But 5 minutes into the game they could tell that the K was an issue and the C/OL wasn't in sync.  So Gase went to the conservative playbook against a strong Bills D.

No matter how you look at it, the Jets had a 6 point lead with 3 minutes to go and the D blew it.  Yeah, yeah, yeah, more offense would have been nice, but most NFL games are decided by 3 points or less and it doesn't matter how we got there, we had a lead very late in the game and the D needed to make 1 measly stop and they didn't.

Point being, Gase played the hand he was dealt when the K and C/OL weren't working and he did enough to pull it off.  Gregg Williams D blew this one.  Mosely is an All Pro.  When he went down it left a big hole and the Bills ran and passed right through it.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

What they saw in practice made Douglas and Gase comfortable with the K and the C.  But 5 minutes into the game they could tell that the K was an issue and the C/OL wasn't in sync.  So Gase went to the conservative playbook against a strong Bills D.

No matter how you look at it, the Jets had a 6 point lead with 3 minutes to go and the D blew it.  Yeah, yeah, yeah, more offense would have been nice, but most NFL games are decided by 3 points or less and it doesn't matter how we got there, we had a lead very late in the game and the D needed to make 1 measly stop and they didn't.

Point being, Gase played the hand he was dealt when the K and C/OL weren't working and he did enough to pull it off.  Gregg Williams D blew this one.  Mosely is an All Pro.  When he went down it left a big hole and the Bills ran and passed right through it.

SAR I

the problem with this, is that gase basically sold us jet fans on the offense winning it, rather than the defense.  what we saw was nothing different from prior regimes.  good news, it's only one game.  if they crap out offensively vs cleveland this board will erupt.  if they lose 35-34 and darnold looks great it will be much closer to what we thought would happen this year with no edge rusher or cbs.

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the problem with this, is that gase basically sold us jet fans on the offense winning it, rather than the defense.  what we saw was nothing different from prior regimes.  good news, it's only one game.  if they crap out offensively vs cleveland this board will erupt.  if they lose 35-34 and darnold looks great it will be much closer to what we thought would happen this year with no edge rusher or cbs.

I agree.  I was expecting Air Coryell out there.  And I believe that the gameplan was to chuck the rock.

But all it took was an extra point attempt 5 minutes into the game and a single three-and-out by the offense for everyone to realize that Darnold was not going to get time to stretch the field and draw plays and short passes were the way to eke out a win.

We had a 6 point lead with 3 minutes left.  A competent D wins that game.  This is why I'm not down on the Jets; I believe that when healthy we have a playoff caliber roster.  We'll find a kicker.  We just need to stay healthy.  Paper thin on the depth chart.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

I agree.  I was expecting Air Coryell out there.  And I believe that the gameplan was to chuck the rock.

But all it took was an extra point attempt 5 minutes into the game and a single three-and-out by the offense for everyone to realize that Darnold was not going to get time to stretch the field and draw plays and short passes were the way to eke out a win.

We had a 6 point lead with 3 minutes left.  A competent D wins that game.  This is why I'm not down on the Jets; I believe that when healthy we have a playoff caliber roster.  We'll find a kicker.  We just need to stay healthy.  Paper thin on the depth chart.

SAR I

i agree with this.  i also think gase's last game as HC of the phins when he got slammed by buffalo's D didn't help.  he definitely took that mindset into the game and seemed to drill into darnold to not turn it over, which led to him not scrambling and getting rid of it quickly.  reminds me of when rex used to play baltimore when he was here and the jets seemed completely afraid of the baltimore D.

10 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

At this point it's pretty clear Gase has not done any reflection or changed his ways 1 bit from Miami.  Same shallow passing offense and same abrasive style with the players, calling them out left and right publicly.  Now there's a right way to do it like Parcells did, where he calculated it based on how each player can respond to it, but Gase just seems to indiscriminately do it.   I just don't know if a coach can last very long in NY with this style before it implodes on him.  I hope I'm wrong but if this keeps up I'll be surprised if he makes it to year 4.

If I'm Christopher Johnson (clearly I'm not - I'm way smarter because I wanted to dump Macc in January) I'm having a sitdown with Gase and telling him to work on his emotional intelligence, to understand that handling NY and the media here, and the way the media tries to fuel discord, is unlike anything he's ever been through before.  Maybe even get an EQ coach.  Gase is clearly a smart guy but he's not a people person, and guess what, NFL head coaches need to have people skills.  Shoot even Belichick can get through to his guys in his own boring way.

Yes, but this is what is needed right now. Plays like Anderson not executing the way needed prevented us from a comeback. Not adjusting on the fly which Gase point out(that technically calls out everybody including himself) are areas even people who are supposedly so good need to get better at. I am still shocked after Mosley went down that DC Williams could not adjust to hang on and maybe allow 1 TD, but not 2 in a row costing us the preserve of the win since we were ahead all game. When Mosley went out I knew we lost a playmaker and the one calling the signals, but heck the next guy calling signals between him and the DC should not let the D fall apart.