Taco Bell (Cowboys waive Charlton)

Dcat

Athletic

Here’s why things didn’t work out between Taco Charlton and the Dallas Cowboys

FRISCO, Texas — Just before handing the phone to Rod Marinelli, Jason Garrett shared one last sentence with Taco Charlton.

“Get ready to go to work,” the Cowboys coach said, “Marinelli and Leon Lett are waiting for your ass.”

That call took place on the night of April 27, 2017. The Cowboys had just used their first-round pick on the Michigan standout defensive end.

Marinelli, the longtime NFL defensive line guru and current Cowboys defensive coordinator, was a significant factor in Dallas drafting Charlton with the 28th overall pick. They would not have made that pick if Marinelli had not signed off. Lett is in his ninth season as a defensive line assistant.

Marinelli: “You ready to roll with me?”

Charlton: “I’m ready.”

Marinelli: “You know what? I’d get my cleats on right now and start running here.”

Charlton: “If that’s what it took, I’d do it.”

Marinelli: “Now, you know what I want, right? I want another level to whatever you do. I can’t wait to get my hands on you, big guy.”

Charlton: “I’m ready. I’m ready. I can’t wait to be there, coach.”

Two and a half years later, the pick is officially a bust for the Cowboys.

Dallas waived Charlton on Wednesday, opening up a roster spot for veteran defensive end Robert Quinn, who was suspended the first two games for violating the NFL’s policy on performance-enhancing drugs.

Charlton’s deteriorating relationship with Marinelli was the biggest factor. It led to Charlton being inactive for both games this season. He was a healthy scratch for two of the final four regular-season games last year.

“I think sometimes the chemistry just doesn’t work with a player,” Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said Wednesday on DallasCowboys.com. “With Rod, he has certain standards that he looks for in a player. I just don’t think they ever saw eye-to-eye in terms of what that standard should be. I wish Taco nothing but the best, and I actually think he’ll go on and be a productive player in this league. A change of scenery will probably do him some good.”

Charlton didn’t make any starts during his rookie season, but he appeared in every game, recording three sacks, seven QB hits and 19 tackles. He had one sack, four QB hits and 27 tackles last year in 11 games, starting seven.

A shoulder injury caused Charlton to miss three games last season and things never seemed to get back on track for the remainder of his time with the franchise.

As Charlton came back from the injury, Jones, Garrett and Marinelli were vague about why he wasn’t playing more. It got to the point where Marinelli declined to talk about Charlton to reporters late in the season.

Charlton’s body language and effort were two of the biggest issues with the coaching staff.

“I’m a little smooth,” Charlton said in December. “So sometimes it comes off a little wrong.”

It was obvious that things had not improved in the offseason. During a local radio interview in April, Cowboys vice president of player personnel Will McClay was brutally honest when sharing his expectations for Charlton entering his third season.

“I’m expecting Taco to strap on his pads, put on his helmet and go out there and compete every day to prove that he belongs on this roster,” McClay said on 103.3 ESPN radio’s JaM Session show. “The injury and all those things, he’s going to have to overcome that and be available. But I expect Taco to put his best foot forward and battle and compete for a spot. But you know what? We’re not going to hold the train for anybody. If you want to compete and roll down with us, here it is.

“Everybody is going to have that opportunity. I expect Taco to be a much better player and a much more productive player. He was turning the corner last year, injuries happen, all that other stuff. I expect him to go and battle and compete. And if him or anybody else isn’t willing to compete, hopefully, we have enough stuff there to keep us strong throughout the process.”

Since McClay began running the Cowboys’ draft in 2014, they’ve been amongst the league’s best in that respect, particularly in the first round.

McClay has helped draft six players who have gone on to make at least one Pro Bowl. The group, which consists of Zack Martin, DeMarcus Lawrence, Byron Jones, Ezekiel Elliott, Dak Prescott and Leighton Vander Esch, has combined for 13 Pro Bowl appearances, most of any team since 2014. The other three NFC East teams have combined for a total of 10.

The same group of six stars has been named first- or second-team All-Pro a combined 10 times, which also tops all teams’ draft picks since 2014.

The only first-round miss in the bunch is Charlton.

When the Cowboys went on the clock in the first round in 2017, the best players available who also fit a need were Charlton, Wisconsin pass rusher T.J. Watt and Washington cornerback Kevin King.

King wasn’t a serious option because the Cowboys liked several corners still on the board at that time. They ended up drafting cornerback Chidobe Awuzie in the second round and cornerback Jourdan Lewis in the third.

So it came down to Charlton and Watt. Charlton made more sense because his size and length made him a natural fit as a 4-3 right defensive end. Watt was considered to be more of a 3-4 outside linebacker, the position he currently plays for the Pittsburgh Steelers. In Dallas’ 4-3 scheme, Watt would probably be best at left end, and the Cowboys already have Lawrence in that spot.

Charlton’s scouting combine measurements were 6-6, 277 pounds with 34 and ¼-inch arms. Watt measured in at 6-4, 252 pounds with 33 and ⅛-inch arms.

But Watt has been a much better NFL player up to this point. The 2018 Pro Bowler has started all 33 games he has played in, totaling 21 sacks, 24 tackles for loss, 38 QB hits and eight forced fumbles.

Dallas showcased Charlton by giving him significant playing time during the preseason. The plan made a lot of sense considering Lawrence was coming off offseason shoulder surgery, Tyrone Crawford was recovering from a hip issue, Randy Gregory is suspended indefinitely and Robert Quinn fractured a bone in his hand during training camp.

Charlton played well.

However, he raised some eyebrows after the first preseason game at San Francisco when he referenced his agent in several responses to questions from reporters.

“You got to play smart,” Charlton said. “My agent is good at what he does. He sets the mentality. He lets me know what needs to be done and we go off of that. I show up every day and I work hard for this defense.”

It certainly seemed like the 24-year-old was referring to his next career move.

It was especially an odd situation considering a few months earlier, Marinelli spoke about having a man-to-man talk with Charlton about expectations for this season, making it appear as if things had turned a corner.

“I mean, that’s man talk,” Marinelli said. “Here it is. You don’t beat around the bush. Here’s what we’ve got to do. Here’s what you have to do to be the type of player you want to be and we want you to be.”

And then came this Monday and a Jones radio interview. The Cowboys executive VP explained why the team had gone with rookie defensive end Joe Jackson on the active roster over Charlton.

Charlton responded to a tweet with Jones’ comments by writing: “Free me.”

He deleted that tweet but later added: “Trust me the last thing I want to do is to have to go to social media to get what I want so I can play football again.”

It’s interesting that the Cowboys were unable to get anything in return for Charlton. Obviously, teams knew Dallas was trying to move him, but to not even salvage a seventh-round pick in return says a lot about how ugly the situation was getting.

Charlton wasn’t having a negative impact on the veterans in the locker room, but there had to be some concern about the effect he could have on young defensive linemen like Jackson, Dorance Armstrong and 2019 second-round pick Trysten Hill, who has also been inactive for the first two weeks.

“Really, really talented player,” an AFC executive told NFL.com of Charlton heading into the 2017 draft. “You won’t always see it on every play so that is going to be a coach’s job to get that out of him.” The comparison on that scouting report was Chandler Jones, who had 53.5 sacks between 2015 and 2018.

Marinelli wasn’t able to get that out of Charlton. His defense is based on max effort at all times. Not just rushing the quarterback and stopping the run, but pursuing ball carries down the field.

Charlton had not done that consistently enough to be active on Sundays, so the Cowboys finally decided it was best to move on.

1 hour ago, EdReed22 said:

Well Devin Smith was signed by them and he has more touchdown catches than all of our WR's combined right now.

Devin Smith was never a "bum"

He was just a dude who was constantly injured and worked his ass off to get back into the league.

Taco is a guy that doesn't really care if he's good a football player and his effort over these last few years with the Cowboys has shown that.

That's a bum

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Ok that makes more sense. If they claim him what do they have to give up?

They have to cut a player...but only because they are at the roster limit and adding a player on waivers would make them go over.

Otherwise, waiver claims don't "cost" a team anything.

13 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Ok that makes more sense. If they claim him what do they have to give up?

Their pride? Nothing..Maybe there's a processing fee $$..But it can't be much or anything at all considering teams claim guys on waivers all the time. Don't forget the Jets claimed Vedvik and released him a week later

11 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

They have to cut a player...but only because they are at the roster limit and adding a player on waivers would make them go over.

Otherwise, waiver claims don't "cost" a team anything.

True. And before anyone asks, you can't claim a guy and then immediately put him on your PS..

A player must clear waivers before he can be signed to a PS. Obviously a guy sitting home can be signed to a PS because he's already cleared waivers and no team claimed him

16 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

I can see how this is going to go:

1) We claim him: WHY DID WE CLAIM THIS LOSER!  FIRE DOUGLAS

2) We don't claim him: WHY DIDN'T WE CLAIM THIS FUTURE HOF!  FIRE DOUGLAS

Wah wah wah to you too. Nobody is even complaining about Douglas yet and you're already complaining about the complaints. The Jets are the way they are because everybody knows that the vast majority of the fanbase is gonna wave pompoms and sniff butt no matter what.

• Thumb Down 1

Wah wah wah to you too. Nobody is even complaining about Douglas yet and you're already complaining about the complaints. The Jets are the way they are because everybody knows that the vast majority of the fanbase is gonna wave pompoms and sniff butt no matter what.

Well... actually I’ve seen numerous complaints about Douglas right here on this very board. So.... there’s that

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I'm sorry which of the 12,000 posts have you missed the last few days in regards to Douglas and his 'debacles' regarding the kicking situation, the WR situation, and the CB situation....not to mention our 3rd QB in three weeks?

• Sympathy 1