Has NFL offense passed Gase by?

WowOhWow

17 hours ago, SAR I said:

He.
Was.
Very.
Sick.

If you are looking for someone to blame, blame God. We are 0-3 because of sickness and injury.  Stop listening to sports talk radio.

SAR I

the injuries certainly have something to do with it.  from what i can tell the oline players are healthy.  they just aren't run blocking or pass protecting very well.  and even though darnold is talented he's still only a 2nd year player so it's hard to say they would've done any better with him in there.  they probably would've done better against the browns.  difficult to say against the patsies.

8 hours ago, phill1c said:

When your OL is beaten AT THE SNAP time and time again, what play can you call? You certainly can't call a deep passing play, now can you? No, you can't.

It's amazing: people with good football sense otherwise refuse to accept that a NFL offense is built through the OL. You can't expect the same offensive production from a OL of retreads, middle-round draftees, guy(s) who suck but have fat contracts that they have NEVER LIVED UP TO, and guy just out of retirement. The Jets OL is a Henny Youngman joke. And you know this.

But, season after season, year after year, the same brilliant minded Jets fans drool over Sam Darnold and Le'Vean Bell and Robby Anderson and Crowder and [cough] Enunwa and think that a) it's really that formidable a weapon set, and b) it could do anything with the crap we line up:

• Beachum: not bad, but certainly not a rock, more like a patch of grass
  • Osellem: about the same, only he plays to Beachum's right. I thought he was supposed to be physical; haven't seen it.
  • Old Man River: ???? this is a coaches decision and it is damning one.  how bad he has played. He plays like a guy who should have retired...oh wait. Harrison looked way better before AARP started 'solidifying' the OL
  • Winters: sigh...his play seems to have dropped off, from, you know, barely mediocre
  • Shell: I didn't know the Jets actually played a RT. He's been that bad.

There is nobody mentioned who I could say, "at least we have _____, he's our rock." I'm surprised at the drop-off of Beachum and Shell, so maybe the newness of the scheme is somewhat responsible. But none of these guys is a BIG, physical player and the league seems to be getting better and they seem to have plateaued at que horrible!!

The Jets need some blue-chippers on that OL, for the sake of the skill players. I'm hoping Darnold takes the rest of October off. No sense getting him killed while he has 'mono'.

I’ve been bitching about the oline for years and saying they need to draft oline before edge, WR, CB or anything else. The oline sucks. 

That still doesn’t excuse Gase doing the same shit over and over that isn’t working. 

17 hours ago, Stark said:

cool, well I guess when our offense starts to light it up and break JETS records it will be because Gase is an Offensive Guru.... As I said I hop he proves me wrong, I don't expect it. 

so when we get an upgraded O Line the genius will be evident, another season? ... we'll see. But based on what he showed the first 3 weeks I don't believe it and that is taking into consideration Trevor and Falk. At some point you need to call something that shows "unpredictability" and this genius we are awaiting. 

Anyone can call a run for Bell 3 times in a row when the defense knows that is coming. or the Screen pass to Bell in predictable spots. 

Yes, when Sam is back I expect better. I said in an earlier post that I am giving him benefit of doubt with this horrible injury luck to start the year. 

Cool, sarcasm wasnt needed in response to a football observation based opinion

We can use your answer to any deficiency by any team. 

Of course the OL, QB etc are needed to run even a basic offense.  But you go back to Bell and screens?  How are you supposed to run deep patterns when the QB, 3rd string QB has no time to let that pass develop?  Gases fault?  Simplistic

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

And Gase was proven right, wasn't he.  He called out the bad eggs and they showed their true colors. 

Gase wanted out of Miami, it was toxic down there.  He'll now get his chance to show that he made a good decision.

SAR I

They got rid of Gase, who last year had that shltty team, led by Osweiler, contending for a playoff spot with a few weeks left in the season.

Gase looks like Lombardi in Miami compared to today's Dolphins

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Are the guy that was touting McCarthy or not?  If not, I am sorry.  If so, GFY. 

Either way, it is a valid point - many of these offensive coaches have a few down years.  Especially when their personnel is not the best.  McCarthy was considered a wizard, but then he sucked for a few years.  Chip Kelly put up some gross numbers in Philly, but by his last year they sucked and he was a disaster in SF.  LaFleur was considered an up and comer, but left the Rams for the Titans and a chance to call plays.  His offense did not look particularly good, but that still propelled him to the head job in Green Bay, which is now a defensive team.  DeFilippo had a bad run with an awful team in Cleveland, but his time in Philly raised his rep up enough to get him the Vikings OC job, but he got fired after sh*tting the bed against the Pats and Seahawks back to back. He still got the Jags job.   What coach is surviving multiple QBs and staying at the top on O?  Bill Walsh? Andy Reid?  I guess, but they were kind of hit and miss with Smith.  I guess Belichick held it together pretty well in 2008. 

FWIW, I don't think there is some silver bullet scheme that tricks everyone.  Gase has not been good, but he hasn't had much of a chance.  The offensive line is pitiful and he seems to try to run a fairly complex system.  It is tough to do that when you are still doing your installs while half the guys are getting knocked out of games.  

I wanted the Jets to try and pry Harbaugh from Baltimore...but of the coaches that were available this off season I wanted Monken.

Right now the coach I'd like to get (that I can realistically see being available) is Harbaugh (Michigan).  I think he's a terrible college coach...but a great pro coach.

And GFY right back at ya.

This is what actually happened to the offense:

1) Poor drafting for the past 7 years, and no investment outside of Sam Darnold, leads to a talent depleted team and especially, offense.

2) Sam Darnold arrives.  He does not perform well.  Then he gets hurt.  Then he returns and shows meaningful promise.  Jets Fans anoint him a franchise QB and savior.  Expectations grow.

3) Robbie Anderson makes enough plays for Jets Fans overrate him (myself included).  Expectations grow.

4) Herndon shows he may be an NFL caliber TE.  Expectations grow.

5) The season ends and we fire an unpopular coach with a defensive background and replace him with an offensive coach.  We ignore the fact that, like in any profession, there’s a few geniuses, a handful of morons, and then most of the people are in between.  Still, the offense is fixed, we assume.  Expectations grow.

6) We trade for an OG who used to be good, but hasn’t been recently.  Jets Fans attribute his failings to being on a bad team.  Jets fans assume the offensive line, neglected since drafting D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold in 2006 is now fixed.  Expectations grow.

7) We sign an elite RB and a good slot WR.  Expectations grow.

8) We again neglect the offensive side of the ball on draft day.

9) Herndon is suspended.

10) We add Kalil out of retirement.  Expectations grow.

11) Preseason happens.  Preseason doesn’t matter when it’s inconvenient to us, but does matter when it is.  We get fired up about multiple 1st drive TDs.  Expectations are reaching critical mass.

12) Sam Darnold, who still hasn’t proven anything, does not look good against a top defense.  Expectations begin to shatter.

13) Enunwa, a fan favorite, gets hurt, possibly ending his career.

14) The offensive line performs to its level of talent, not Jets Fans expectations.  Kalil and Osemele do not return to form.

15) Sam Darnold is diagnosed with Mono, and is now out.  We take some solace in the hope that this explains enough of week one.

16) The Browns and Pats are able to attack the LOS because there’s now no threat from the passing game.  The line folds quickly.

17) The backup QB is hurt quickly.

18) The 3rd string QB, who was on the practice squad, is, unsurprisingly not able to get the job done.

19) Bell is a bright spot, but a RB is limited in his impact by his offensive line.  Crowder also looks good, but now plays out of position, limiting his impact.

20) Robbie Anderson’s impact is 0 because he’s overrated and because he can’t get open deep before the line folds.

21) Jets Fans largely ignore the facts above they don’t like, instead reverting to the tried and true, fire the coach, the next one will fix this.

The line stinks, the WRs stink, the TE is suspended, the RB is great but it’s irrelevant because the line stinks, and the QB is still a big question mark and hasn’t played.  That’s why they suck.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

20 hours ago, Nixhead said:

What kinda of bothers me is Gase says he never watches the news or sports TV or goes online and he doesn't care about any criticism - he seems to be stuck in his own little world. You have to keep up with the times. A lot of important info can be found online or from watching some criticism so he can maybe realize what he's doing wrong and make corrections. Maybe even read some of the posts on this site. We don't want to fry the guy for the sake of frying him. We want corrections made and Gase is in charge - he is the guy to make the corrections. I think he is very stubborn and its entirely possible he doesn't realize what he's doing wrong. 

But problem is if he spent his time and effort giving a sh!t about the media or internet he'd do nothing else. We like this place, and it's fun even when the Jets are terrible. Nonetheless this is the toy department of life. Problems are a sick QB and what that has led to, a terrible OL and  bad WRs. There isn't much you can do when you cannot protect the QB. Was a question in the Pats postgame where Gase was asked why they don't throw deep,and he explained it's difficult to do when you cannot protect long enough to throw deep. Who ever our QB is is not getting 2 seconds. Beachum is getting bullrushed, and that simply cannot happen with aN NFL LT. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

1) Poor drafting for the past 7 years, and no investment outside of Sam Darnold, leads to a talent depleted team and especially, offense.

2) Sam Darnold arrives.  He does not perform well.  Then he gets hurt.  Then he returns and shows meaningful promise.  Jets Fans anoint him a franchise QB and savior.  Expectations grow.

3) Robbie Anderson makes enough plays for Jets Fans overrate him (myself included).  Expectations grow.

5) The season ends and we fire an unpopular coach with a defensive background and replace him with an offensive coach.  We ignore the fact that, like in any profession, there’s a few geniuses, a handful of morons, and then most of the people are in between.  Still, the offense is fixed, we assume.  Expectations grow.

6) We trade for an OG who used to be good, but hasn’t been recently.  Jets Fans attribute his failings to being on a bad team.  Jets fans assume the offensive line, neglected since drafting D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold in 2006 is now fixed.  Expectations grow.

? We again neglect the offensive side of the ball on draft day.

9) Herndon is suspended.

11) Preseason happens.  Preseason doesn’t matter when it’s inconvenient to us, but does matter when it is.  We get fired up about multiple 1st drive TDs.  Expectations are reaching critical mass.

12) Sam Darnold, who still hasn’t proven anything, does not look good against a top defense.  Expectations begin to shatter.

14) The offensive line performs to its level of talent, not Jets Fans expectations.  Kalil and Osemele do not return to form.

15) Sam Darnold is diagnosed with Mono, and is now out.  We take some solace in the hope that this explains enough of week one.

16) The Browns and Pats are able to attack the LOS because there’s now no threat from the passing game.  The line folds quickly.

18) The 3rd string QB, who was on the practice squad, is, unsurprisingly not able to get the job done.

19) Bell is a bright spot, but a RB is limited in his impact by his offensive line.  Crowder also looks good, but now plays out of position, limiting his impact.

20) Robbie Anderson’s impact is 0 because he’s overrated and because he can’t get open deep before the line folds.

21) Jets Fans largely ignore the facts above they don’t like, instead reverting to the tried and true, fire the coach, the next one will fix this.

The line stinks, the WRs stink, the TE is suspended, the RB is great but it’s irrelevant because the line stinks, and the QB is still a big question mark and hasn’t played.  That’s why they suck.

Laundry list of excuses

When Bowles and Mac were botching everything it was all Idzik’s fault.  Now that Gase is getting exposed it’s Mac’s fault

Parcells inherits a 1-15 team and goes 9-7.  Rex inherits a Jet team that missed the playoffs and has a rookie QB who isn’t good and makes the playoffs and makes multiple runs

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Gase should get his time machine and go back 5 years to pick OL talent in the draft, I guess? 

That’s what I’m guessing. 

We bitch and moan, rightfully so, that Macc ignored the OL and it sucks.  Then blame Gase because he’s the HC and the OL sucks.  

Guess the QB is his fault too

24 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Or maybe Gase can time travel to one month ago and sign a competent kicker and not gift Belichick a free draft pick?

Gase signed our K who retired in the preseason?

Brilliant.  And has what exactly to do with running an offense, the game passing him by?

Or that he has no one at QB his fault too?  Why can’t he get Falk yo play like Brady? 

26 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Laundry list of excuses

When Bowles and Mac were botching everything it was all Idzik’s fault.  Now that Gase is getting exposed it’s Mac’s fault

Parcells inherits a 1-15 team and goes 9-7.  Rex inherits a Jet team that missed the playoffs and has a rookie QB who isn’t good and makes the playoffs and makes multiple runs

Everything on that list is true, regardless of whether you want to call it an excuse or not.

But sure, fire this coach too.  I'm sure the next one will actually be good.

Rex is a great example though.  I'm sure, after the first two years, he just forgot how to coach football.  Talent and circumstances had nothing to do with it.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Bugg said:

But problem is if he spent his time and effort giving a sh!t about the media or internet he'd do nothing else. We like this place, and it's fun even when the Jets are terrible. Nonetheless this is the toy department of life. Problems are a sick QB and what that has led to, a terrible OL and  bad WRs. There isn't much you can do when you cannot protect the QB. Was a question in the Pats postgame where Gase was asked why they don't throw deep,and he explained it's difficult to do when you cannot protect long enough to throw deep. Who ever our QB is is not getting 2 seconds. Beachum is getting bullrushed, and that simply cannot happen with aN NFL LT. 

Butttttt, but, the ego maniac is pointing fingers.  He should be more like Bowles and not blame the people that we all can see aren’t doing their jobs well enough. 

42 minutes ago, Bugg said:

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Butttttt, but, the ego maniac is pointing fingers.  He should be more like Bowles and not blame the people that we all can see aren’t doing their jobs well enough. 

People will always blame the coach because it's an easy fix, and it allows the fantasy that we're just one strategist away from a competitive team.  Hard is bringing in a #1 and a #2 WR, probably 5 offensive linemen, and we don't even yet know if the QB is competent, and acknowledging that we're more than one offseason away from having to fix all of that.

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

People will always blame the coach because it's an easy fix, and it allows the fantasy that we're just one strategist away from a competitive team.  Hard is bringing in a #1 and a #2 WR, probably 5 offensive linemen, and we don't even yet know if the QB is competent, and acknowledging that we're more than one offseason away from having to fix all of that.

Exactly.  Much easier to blame one person over a few OLmen, couple of WRs or DBs not getting it done.  

I would love to know which miracle HC could overcome this roster, a sick QB, etc and win against the teams on the schedule.  

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

8) We again neglect the offensive side of the ball on draft day.

9) Herndon is suspended.

I’m not saying to fire Gase. Firing him now would be asinine, firing him during the season period would be asinine.  I’m saying he shares the responsibility of how bad the team is doing especially with the way he’s calling the offense. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I’m not saying to fire Gase. Firing him now would be asinine, firing him during the season period would be asinine.  I’m saying he shares the responsibility of how bad the team is doing especially with the way he’s calling the offense. 

How do you call an offense without talent?

I'm not a Gase fan.  I'm anti-Coach Pile-On, because I think it's short sighted, simplistic, and hasn't produced results.

7 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Put another way, what calls would be successful with Luke Falk at QB, Kelvin Beachum at LT, and Robbie Anderson as your #1 WR?

The Jets current starting offense features two players they've actually drafted, and none in the last 3 years.  The coach is currently the absolute least of my concerns.

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

How do you call an offense without talent?

I'm not a Gase fan.  I'm anti-Coach Pile-On, because I think it's short sighted, simplistic, and hasn't produced results.

He could try changing it up a little bit instead of doing the same plays over and over again that aren’t working. Different plays might not work but at least he’s trying. We know the plays he’s running aren’t working. 

I didn’t expect this team to win before any injuries or suspensions  but I was still hoping  to see something positive for the future. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

He could try changing it up a little bit instead of doing the same plays over and over again that aren’t working. Different plays might not work but at least he’s trying. We know the plays he’s running aren’t working. 

I didn’t expect this team to win before any injuries or suspensions  but I was still hoping  to see something positive for the future. 

There are only two players currently on the Jets offense that might play a meaningful role in it's success by the time this could be turned around.  One's got mono and the other's suspended.

45 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You seriously don’t know the difference?

You know what, if you think an offensive HC is not responsible for the scheme that the OL plays, more power to you. 

Here you are questioning me about my question. What the Hell is your problem. It wasn't  even a totally serious comment I made but yes, it is his O and his decision to install a zone blocking scheme on the OL which these players look totally lost in by evidence of all the free runners with OL standing around not blocking anyone, sometimes there are 2 OL not engaged while Miles Garrett  is making a beeline for the QB untouched. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Put another way, what calls would be successful with Luke Falk at QB, Kelvin Beachum at LT, and Robbie Anderson as your #1 WR?

The Jets current starting offense features two players they've actually drafted, and none in the last 3 years.  The coach is currently the absolute least of my concerns.

He could bring in a blocking  tight end to help stop the pass rush and open holes for the RB,  he could put Bell and Montgomery in the backfield at the same time and spread one out or both out and you’ll have Bell or Montgomery matched up against a linebacker. If you have Bell and Montgomery in at the same time it gives you different looks and options. They can both run and catch.  Why are they not using Crowder out of the slot more? Just try something different. I feel like he’s being stubborn and thinking I’m running the same plays over and over again and eventually it’s going to work when they’re not getting more than a yard or two. 

None of this might help or do any better but at least try. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

He could bring in a blocking  tight end to help stop the pass rush and open holes for the RB,  he could put Bell and Montgomery in the backfield at the same time and spread one out or both out and you’ll have Bell or Montgomery matched up against a linebacker. If you have Bell and Montgomery in at the same time it gives you different looks and options. They can both run and catch.  Why are they not using Crowder out of the slot more? Just try something different. I feel like he’s being stubborn and thinking I’m running the same plays over and over again and eventually it’s going to work when they’re not getting more than a yard or two

None of this might help or do any better but at least try. 

I imagine it might be hard to install all new looks with a practice squad QB, no?

We limited the offense with our #1s in the past, maybe we're protecting a guy who's a half-step off of coming off the street.

Just now, TeddEY said:

I imagine it might be hard to install all new looks with a practice squad QB, no?

We limited the offense with our #1s in the past, maybe we're protecting a guy who's a half-step off of coming off the street.

Gase said there was no issue running all the plays with him and he wasn’t holding any back. We’ll see next Sunday if it changes. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

You know what, if you think an offensive HC is not responsible for the scheme that the OL plays, more power to you. 

Here you are questioning me about my question. What the Hell is your problem. It wasn't  even a totally serious comment I made but yes, it is his O and his decision to install a zone blocking scheme on the OL which these players look totally lost in by evidence of all the free runners with OL standing around not blocking anyone, sometimes there are 2 OL not engaged while Miles Garrett  is making a beeline for the QB untouched. 

If you believe the HC IS responsible for everything.   It my beer was warm.....

If you think Gase I'd responsible for the schemes of the OL you're the one who's clueless.  Even more cluelessness.  It's not the schemes, it's that the players SUCK.  You want to continue to argue and proving to all that you don't know the game, carry on.

I made a comment, the team has issues, you want to pin it all on the HC, I get it.  So go back to zone blocking, blah,blah, blah.  A coach hires a OL coach who's philosophies he agrees with.  When the players suck, when the OL coach can't get them to play better than their talent you want to blame Gase.  Got it, makes total sense.

I guarantee you'll be back claiming I'm arguing or some other nonsense people say when someone knows the game better than they do.  Bye

22 hours ago, DJF71 said:

One of the worst OL's in the NFL will make any offense look bad.  

except this line was better last yr and they replaced the supposed bad pieces. They were ranked 14th last yr this yr in the low 20s how does that work. Players get better and worse every yr but doesn't scheme and coaching have something to do with it? 

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

But Gase was a offensive guru or so we were told.  I hope the first game is not an indication of this guy tenure with this team.  He did not put his QB in a position to win.  He never called for roll out when he knew the OL was faltering and which is one of Darnolds's strength.  He never called for a single RB screen the entire game.  The Bills pretty much knew what was coming the entire game and most of the time one unblocked rusher came free at Darnolds face.  There was no extra TE, no adjustment at all and that is on the coach so lets not make excuse for this bozo.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

And Gase was proven right, wasn't he.  He called out the bad eggs and they showed their true colors. 

Gase wanted out of Miami, it was toxic down there.  He'll now get his chance to show that he made a good decision.

SAR I

gase had a part in them becoming bad eggs, he alienated player right or wrongly. he played favorites in Miami. Now the excuse is Gase wanted out of miami and navigated himself out of his contract by screaming at the owner.

SAR that is few huge leaps of faith there bud. Gase had a huge part for that toxic atmosphere.

What is going to be the excuse if the Jets have a loosing season after him promising an explosive offense and delivering squat? How did that turn out for the phins?

Normally the simplest explanations are the true ones. Yes Gase has injuries but will/has not adjust to the game plans to put players into position to succeed. Gase thinks he is smarter then everyone else and has an ego which rubs people wrong.

Noting the above which has been reported before isn't easier to accept he might not be a good head coach (as his record indicates) and his success as Offensive coordinator is linked to qbs making all the adjustments at the line of scrimmage and rather then simplifying that process for other players he is a one trick play caller that wont adapt.

Just throwing that out there