PFT says disaster looming in NY...take it for what it's worth

NIGHT STALKER

Multiple league insiders believe in the wake of the decision of the Jets to elevate Mike Tannenbaum to General Manager that the two utes who'll now be running the show in New York will destroy the franchise.

The thinking is that, while both Tannenbaum, 36, and head coach Eric Mangini, 35, are talented, neither is ready for the job they now hold.

As one league source told us, "[it's] just another case of a cap guy taking over a team. A guy who is not and never will be a football guy. There is no one in the Jet organization capable of making a good personnel decision. When will these owners learn that in order to win, football people have to make football decisions? I am not sticking up for Terry [bradway], I am just speaking out against a cap guy who doesn't have a clue about football. They control the money and they think they know something about the game. Trust me, the Jets will be losers for years. The Giants must be happy because they will have no competition from the other New York team."

And this train wreck couldn't be playing out in a worse city. On Tuesday afternoon, Tannenbaum came off as flustered and nervous while taking questions from WFAN's Mike Francesa and Chris Russo that, by New York media standards, were Styrofoam softballs dipped in powdered sugar.

The root of the problem, as Francesa and Russo pointed out, is that Tannenbaum's stated commitment to getting the players that Mangini needs could be problematic, since Mangini doesn't quite know what he needs. And there will be a time when Mangini wants one guy and the scouts want another guy and Tannenbaum will be called upon to make a final decision.

But he doesn't have the credentials or the experience to do it.

In a few months, he won't have Bradway to turn to for advice. Although we heard earlier on Tuesday that Bradway had the option to leave after being demoted, one league source explained to us that there's no way the team would have let him bolt before the draft, given that he's already got months of research that he could have carried to a new team.

Likewise, several league insiders expect that, not long after the draft, Bradway will hit the highway.

So Bradway is essentially done, even though he'll finish out the next couple of months as a member of the organization.

The next question, then, is where Tannenbaum will turn for personnel expertise after Bradway goes. If Tannenbaum has the same kind of trouble that Mangini did when the time came to hire a staff, major problems are indeed brewing in Gotham.

In fact, Tannenbaum might have trouble keeping his scouts on board. If he's going to continue to suggest that he has figured out by osmosis how to evaluate personnel over the past five season, he'll lose any and all credibility that he ever had in the organization.

So based on what we're hearing, we expect a full and complete house cleaning in two or three years. Mangini and Tannenbaum will move on in the business, and they might ultimately be extremely successful. But the coming couple of seasons in New York could help to redefine the word "suck."

Multiple league insiders believe in the wake of the decision of the Jets to elevate Mike Tannenbaum to General Manager that the two utes who'll now be running the show in New York will destroy the franchise.

Apparently, whoever said this has not paid attention for the past five years.

The two morons that destroyed the franchise are now gone. How exactly can a 4-12 team with 2-legit NFL caliber starters on offense be destroyed?

In all honesty, I don't think you can possibly look at this situation and NOT be at least a little concerned. the fact that Tannenbaum has no experience evaluating players is going to be a major issue down the line. It essentially places all the power in Mangini's hands in terms of drafting and FA. Scouts and player personnel will have their input, but the HC is going to constantly in if the GM does not have any experienced input himself in the decision making. Not to compare Mangini to Herm, but when a coach who doesn't have experience has that much power, that is how you end up with guys like Bryan Thomas. Herm wanted Ellis to be a DT, and needed a solid DE to fill the void left by Ellis. Terry conceded to him and used a first round pick to reach for BT, as opposed to taking the BAP and trying to find a decent DE later on like J Green, A Kampman, or C Hall. I think it will help tremendously now that we aquired the guy from BAL, and hopefully Tannenbaum uses this guy as a confidant in decision making situations on players and doesn't alays concede to Mangini when situations arise.

IMO, this regime has boom or bust written all over it. Either they will be the start of an incredible regime that they are touted to have the talent to do, or they will bust horribly and this experiment will have disastrous consequences. I will fairly say that there is about a 60% chance it fails miserably, and a 40% chance we hit paydirt. But overally I love the idea of taking a big chance like this as opposed to settling for mediocrity in retreads and has beens.

Odds on the anonymous "league source" they quoted:

Donnie Henderson 5:1

Mike Heimerdinger 4:1

Herm Edwards 3:2

You forgot Canizzaro crying to Florio into his cell about how much harder his job will be. Zero to Herm-I can't quit you!

The press is officially pissed that Hofstra went from the most press-friendly facility in the NFL to lockdown.Tough titties!

I'd rather have Tannebaum and Mangini making the decisions than have Bradway do his annual April falling in love with a workout combine warriors-and then hanging onto him for years like Reed or Harper or Cvaka, nothwithstanding that they totally suck. Or making Roberstson(again, I stil lthink he can be a serious player) and Jolley type moves that look awful in the rear view.

This is all such crap. It's animosity directed at the young guns because they aren't going to write the stories for the press any more, nor while away the hours shmoozing with them.The are going to be doing their jobs. How business-like and refreshing.

Sorry guys-the Jets new FO and CS are about FOOTBALL not you. Deal with it or get a new job.

At the end of the season our GM was Bradway and the coach Edwards. Todat it's Tannebaum and Mangini. That's a major improvement-PERIOD.

In all honesty, I don't think you can possibly look at this situation and NOT be at least a little concerned.

I'm all for looking at all sides of a situation Boozer, but what exactly were the TB and Herm Show going to do with the mess that limped off the field on New Years Day? And PFT declares that we're on the verge of disaster. Disaster gets worse than this? All we were missing was Bruce Willis and he would have said no to the script.

I agree what's transpired in the last few weeks is bordering on unconventional. Convention would have kept us in position to recieve good draft picks for the forseeable future and questionable people to make them.

What is the big deal that these guys might not be media savvy to go in front of cameras or reporters- I want them judged on their football knowledge and how to run the team and not whether they are media stars

If all the douchebag, so called experts in the press (face it, all of these guys got their lunch money stolen in school on a regular basis) are saying that the Jets situation is horrible then I am highly optimistic about the future of the franchise. Bradway and Edwards ran this operation into the ground so there is only one way to go, ands that's up.

These guys aren't saying anything groundbreaking, we already know that the situation we are currently in is an all or nothing and they are choosing to go with nothing. F them!:Cuss:

Besides, I think I needed an all or nothing situation: I haven't been this excited in a while!:cheers:

I'm all for looking at all sides of a situation Boozer, but what exactly were the TB and Herm Show going to do with the mess that limped off the field on New Years Day? And PFT declares that we're on the verge of disaster. Disaster gets worse than this? All we were missing was Bruce Willis and he would have said no to the script.

I agree what's transpired in the last few weeks is bordering on unconventional. Convention would have kept us in position to recieve good draft picks for the forseeable future and questionable people to make them.

I said nothing of Herm and TB. Thay're gone and I couldn't give 2 craps about them. As I said earlier I like the change alot. But anybody who think this is a slam dunk solid regime is only fooling themselves.

anybody who think this is a slam dunk solid regime is only fooling themselves.

I agree with that - I'm just elated that in 30 days time, the Jets situation has gone from a somewhat predictable pile of dung to an unknown but hopefull era of change.

I agree with that - I'm just elated that in 30 days time, the Jets situation has gone from a somewhat predictable pile of dung to an unknown but hopefull era of change.

High five to that dude. A fungus encrusted toenail could do a better job than those 2 overall. I am thrilled over the change.

PFT has delivered some truthful stories and some brutally incorrect stories.

I am curious as to which "league sources" provided information. Cannizarro? Cmini?

Bruce Allen was a salary cap manager and handled the free agent deals with Oakland and was highly successful. Tannenbaum is our capologist and does a great job with contracts and the cap.

Tannenbaum would have been Parcells' GM in Tampa had he accepted the job.

Gruden thought highly enough of Tannenbaum that he interviewed him for the GM position, but chose Allen aftef he was released from Oakland.

It would be easy to see "doom and Gloom" here, but why ignore the positives, why disregard the fact that Mike Tannenbaum was thought of as being ready in 2002 to be a GM, that one of the youngest and brightest coaches and minds in football, Jon Gruden, liked the man and thought him ready to be his GM?

I'd rather wait and see.

Archived