Food For Thought

choon328

6 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Jackson was picked in the same draft 32nd or thereabouts, but our #3 pick QB is "young and insistent" 

yeah ok

Comparing those 2 QBs is ridiculous.  Jackson is in a weird offense that only makes him attempt very safe throws. And he just happens to have one of the best rosters in football surrounding him.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Put Lamar, or josh allen or Baker on this team and they'd get their asses kicked.  not just becasue of the awful team talent but because of the coach.

No chance Adam Gase totally changes his offense to suit the skills of Lamar Jackson.

I don't think Gase has any idea what he is doing.  Why cant we ever get a coach or coordinators who creates a game plan based on the skill sets of his players instead of his own pre-determined agenda?  

How Gase misused Bell this year is INEXCUSABLE.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Notable QB's against Baltimore this year:

Mahomes:  27/37  374 yds  3 TD’s 0 int  1 Sack

Mayfield: 20/30  342 yds 1 TD 1 Int 1 Sack

Wilson:  20/41  241 yds 1 TD 1 Int 1 sack

Brady:  30-46  285 yds 1 TD 1 Int 2 Sacks

Watson:  18-29  169 yds 0 TD 1 Int 6 Sacks

Goff: 26/37  212 yds 0 TD 2 Int  2 Sacks

Garrapolo:  15/21  165 yds 1 TD 0 Int 2 Sacks

Allen:  17-39  146 yds  1 TD  0 Int  6 sacks

Darnold:  18/32  218 yds  2 TD  1 Int  1 Sack

Darnold did not play great, but that is to be expected from a young inconsistent QB.  The Jets offense actually played better than the majority of teams the Ravens have played this year.  They just weren't able to punch the ball in.  It's definitely a step forward in progress when you look at how other teams have played the Ravens.  It's def a positive that we can take away from this game in my opinion.

Now lets have some fun revenge and know out Pitt and the Bills as the WC teams and give the WCs to other teams, though 1 of those teams could be the Browns. BTW, this is assuming the Bills lose out since they are kn the road against Pitt and NE next.

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I don't think Gase has any idea what he is doing.  Why cant we ever get a coach or coordinators who creates a game plan based on the skill sets of his players instead of his own pre-determined agenda?  

I think last night showed that Bell can't be used without a real OL. That is just his running style. Powell had more 'success' because he is a 1 cut and pound it until you stop me type guy. Bell is a finesse RB... follows blocks to find the opening. Last night showed that there is no openings and the WRs on this team can't block for sh*t. Plus they have no TEs to block either. Bell will come back next year with a vengeance when JD fixes this line

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Put Lamar, or josh allen or Baker on this team and they'd get their asses kicked.  not just becasue of the awful team talent but because of the coach.

No chance Adam Gase totally changes his offense to suit the skills of Lamar Jackson.

I was just about to write close to the same exact thing.

Put Jackson on this team with this OL, no pass blocking, no run game, rarely do his receivers get any type of separation (no run game so no ability to even play action..what a joke, think about that just for a second, play-action is a very strong weapon in ANY QB’s arsenal...Darnold has NEVER had that luxury as a pro), and also you can argue about the coaching, but it’s safe to say Harbaugh>Gase.......and Lamar Jackson either gets a broken leg with his style or play or worst case is laid out like Teddy Bridgewater....nowhere CLOSE to being thought of as MVP.

Total “Apple’s and Oranges” argument.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Because you always “get what you pay for”.

You bring a real HC in like a Parcells (of course you have to pay for his services) and you almost make the Super Bowl just 2 years removed from 1-15.

The Jet Owners either play it on the cheap and get basically refuse coordinators who have never been HCs and when they don’t (because the team is in total chaos) it also doesn’t work out because no one of real quality wants any part of the Jet organization (similar to the best players in the NBA wanting no part of the Knicks, hell these players FATHERS and some of their GRANDFATHERS can’t remember when the Knicks were really good haha) I read that Woody Johnson (he should be commended for trying in this instance) asked Mike Holmgren to come aboard would have given him a huge amount of control, but his wife nixed it.  The Jets then wound up with some kind of 5th choice or lower on the list, Bowles.

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

Jackson also has good players wearing the same uniform that he does.

Sam has XFLers.

LAMAR JACKSON QB, BALTIMORE RAVENS

Lamar Jackson completed 15-of-20 passes for 169 yards and five touchdowns in the Ravens' Week 12 blowout win over the Rams Monday night, adding 95 rushing yards on eight attempts.

As has become the norm with the Ravens, Jackson got the night off early with the Ravens clocking the Rams 42-6 early in the fourth quarter. L.A. had zero answer for anything the Ravens were doing offensively. The Ravens were 9-of-12 on third downs when Jackson left the game, and no matter the distance on them, it seemed like a near lock they'd convert. Jackson's five touchdowns went to Marquise Brown (two), Willie Snead (two), and Mark Ingram. It's scary to think Jackson is doing all of this with maybe the weakest receiver group in the NFL. With tonight's effort, Jackson became the first player in league history with four-plus passing touchdowns and 50-plus rushing yards in back-to-back games. He's the MVP. Hands down. The Ravens host the 49ers in Week 13.

Nov 25, 2019, 10:50 PM ET

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/710/lamar-jackson/news

You know what they say about opinions and everyone having one. Production doesn't like. L. Jackson is special.

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

LAMAR JACKSON QB, BALTIMORE RAVENS

Lamar Jackson completed 15-of-20 passes for 169 yards and five touchdowns in the Ravens' Week 12 blowout win over the Rams Monday night, adding 95 rushing yards on eight attempts.

As has become the norm with the Ravens, Jackson got the night off early with the Ravens clocking the Rams 42-6 early in the fourth quarter. L.A. had zero answer for anything the Ravens were doing offensively. The Ravens were 9-of-12 on third downs when Jackson left the game, and no matter the distance on them, it seemed like a near lock they'd convert. Jackson's five touchdowns went to Marquise Brown (two), Willie Snead (two), and Mark Ingram. It's scary to think Jackson is doing all of this with maybe the weakest receiver group in the NFL. With tonight's effort, Jackson became the first player in league history with four-plus passing touchdowns and 50-plus rushing yards in back-to-back games. He's the MVP. Hands down. The Ravens host the 49ers in Week 13.

Nov 25, 2019, 10:50 PM ET

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/710/lamar-jackson/news

You know what they say about opinions and everyone having one. Production doesn't like. L. Jackson is special.

He uses his tight ends nicely and that group also blocks very well for him.  

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

He uses his tight ends nicely and that group also blocks very well for him.  

Not saying Ravens don't have more talent than the Jets but I'm sorry it cannot explain the huge chasm between L.Jax and Sam's performance. That is Jet fan magical thinking. That same team was not impressive with Flacco out there. QBs elevate those around him. So much more so than the other way around.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, jgb said:

Not saying Ravens don't have more talent than the Jets but I'm sorry it cannot explain the huge chasm between L.Jax and Sam's performance. That is Jet fan magical thinking. That same team was not impressive with Flacco out there. QBs elevate those around him. So much more so than the other way around.

Yes, QBs can elevate a team more than any other position. At the same time the system that QB is put in and the complimentary players that support that system is a key component. Seems to me RBs and QBs are very dependent on the offensive line. I watch Saqoun Barkley turn into a JAG against the Jets when we played them. Maybe we can say he’s slowing down just like we say Bell is slowing down. Doesn’t really matter to me. But, the game is, was and always will be won in the trenches. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yes, QBs can elevate a team more than any other position. At the same time the system that QB is put in and the complimentary players that support that system is a key component. Seems to me RBs and QBs are very dependent on the offensive line. I watch Saqoun Barkley turn into a JAG against the Jets when we played them. Maybe we can say he’s slowing down just like we say Bell is slowing down. Doesn’t really matter to me. But, the game is, was and always will be won in the trenches. 

One game is not a sufficient sample size. Nor is a RB a QB. I understand it's hard for Jets fans to face the fact that Sam is on the train to Bustville. Could he turn it around suddenly and have a Goff-like resurgence? I guess it's possible. L-Jax is the most exciting and skilled player to come out in decades. Maybe longer. To attribute his skill and success to a system or supporting cast is quite frankly ridiculous, at best. Why is it so hard for people to give this guy some credit? Just last year, the JN wisdom was that John Harbaugh was a washed up defensive-minded HC who never had an elite offense. Now he gets all the credit for having the most explosive and exciting offense in years as a way to avoid giving the QB his fair due. Can't make this stuff up.

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

One game is not a sufficient sample size. Nor is a RB a QB. I understand it's hard for Jets fans to face the fact that Sam is on the train to Bustville. Could he turn it around suddenly and have a Goff-like resurgence? I guess it's possible. L-Jax is the most exciting and skilled player to come out in decades. Maybe longer. To attribute his skill and success to a system or supporting cast is quite frankly ridiculous, at best. Why is it so hard for people to give this guy some credit? Just last year, the JN wisdom was that John Harbaugh was a washed up defensive-minded HC who never had an elite offense. Now he gets all the credit for having the most explosive and exciting offense in years as a way to avoid giving the QB his fair due. Can't make this stuff up.

I’ve literally been here calling him “ the truth” and have literally said exactly what you are saying. He’s my favorite non Jet player in the league. But go ahead and please tell me how I’m not giving him credit. 

My basic point is good teams make bad players serviceable, good players great and great great players, Like Lamar, virtually unstoppable. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I’ve literally been here calling him “ the truth” and have literally said exactly what you are saying. He’s my favorite non Jet player in the league. But go ahead and please tell me how I’m not giving him credit. 

My basic point is good teams make bad players serviceable, good players great and great great players, Like Lamar, virtually unstoppable. 

My comment is generalized. Not about you directly. There is no rational universe where both of these things can be believed simultaneously: (1) L. Jax is a "product of a system" and (2) S. Darnold "an MVP in hiding due to supporting cast." Believing both of these things is akin to arguing that no QB can be evaluated because success or failure is entirely due to factors beyond his control. Call me a simpleton but good QBs produce goodly. Sam is not a good QB. Whether that is qualified by "yet" or "never" is TBD.

I'm going to leave this here and back away slowly out of this thread now.

image.thumb.png.c5b5208e0040d683fa2919ada6c05ab0.png

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jgb said:

My comment is generalized. Not about you directly. There is no rational universe where both of these things can be believed simultaneously: (1) L. Jax is a "product of a system" and (2) S. Darnold "an MVP in hiding due to supporting cast." Believing both of these things is akin to arguing that no QB can be evaluated because success or failure is entirely due to factors beyond his control. Call me a simpleton but good QBs produce goodly. Sam is not a good QB. Whether that is qualified by "yet" or "never" is TBD.

I'm going to leave this here and back away slowly out of this thread now.

image.thumb.png.c5b5208e0040d683fa2919ada6c05ab0.png

Delicious and thank you. 

On 12/13/2019 at 10:22 AM, Beerfish said:

? percent true. But that is the problem. The Ravens did what thier coaching staff was supposed to do, give thier guys best chance to win. Like how the broncos came up with that tebow season.

Our HC is crap