Rivera's 1st Hire... Jack Del Rio as DC

jetsons

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ron-rivera-reportedly-hires-jack-del-rio-as-redskins-new-defensive-coordinator/

Ron Rivera reportedly hires Jack Del Rio as Redskins' new defensive coordinator

Rivera makes his first big hire as the new head coach of the Redskins

Ron Rivera has made his first big hire as head coach of the Washington Redskins. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Rivera is bringing in former Oakland Raiders head coach Jack Del Rio as his defensive coordinator. 

The defensive-minded Del Rio spent 2015-17 as the head coach in Oakland, where he went 25-23 and made the playoffs once in three years. He's known for his nine-year stint with the Jacksonville Jaguars, where he made the playoffs twice before being let go in 2011. 

Del Rio shined as a defensive coordinator, and established a great defense with the Denver Broncos from 2012-14. They made the playoffs all three years, and posted back-to-back 13-3 records in 2012 and 2013. According to ESPN's John Keim, in four years as a defensive coordinator, Del Rio's defenses finished in the top five in either yards or points allowed three times. The Redskins have not done that since 2008.

There's clearly a culture change going on in Washington D.C. The Redskins have ousted longtime general manager and team president Bruce Allen and hired a head coach who has recently been to the Super Bowl. Rivera bringing in Del Rio as an assistant just adds to the great amount of experience that is on this coaching staff.

According to CBS NFL Insider Jason La Canfora, the Redskins are expected to retain offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell. The recently-promoted wunderkind was actually brought up as a candidate for the head coaching job, and is a hot name in NFL circles. His familiarity with quarterback Dwayne Haskins and play-calling experience is a plus as well. 

28 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Snyder sleeps at night, he don't care.

On the contrary, he grew up a hardcore Skins fanboi homer.  He cares, alot.

He just sucks at being an NFL Owner, lol.  Like "worst in NFL" sucks.  He's making bank, so he clearly knows business.  But his teams suck, and he clearly doesn't know football or running a football team.  Like alot of our own posters here, Snyder gets far too invested, fanboi style, in certain players and knowing/friending those players.  It's been one of his achilles since he got here, some players have an "owner in" and can circumvent the coach and GM.  I bet alot of folks here would be exactly the same way, lol.

I hope he finally figured it out tho, as it'd be nice to have the Skins here in town to follow when the Jets inevitably start 2-5 next year, lol.

56 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Hard to dislike either hire tbqh.

Only concern is once again a team with a bad owner hires a Coach BEFORE he hires a GM, and will clearly not have the Coach answer to the GM.

It's a bad organizational way of doing business, but guess we'll see.

It seems that we are seeing this more and more around the league.  Its not just the jets obviously.  But I don't like it.  Call me old-fashioned.  So be it.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

On a related note, I would freaking love it if Gase saw fit to hire Pat Shurmur to help with the offense. He’s not a head coach, but he does a lot of interesting things on offense and developed some real talent with the Giants 

Gase is not going to hire any of these new guys for offense unless Dowell Loggains decides to go back to the shire.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Gase is not going to hire any of these new guys for offense unless Dowell Loggains decides to go back to the shire.

I was kind of thinking that the dark horse in the burner account soap opera was Louggains.  Good thing the online betting didn't show any prop bets on that one.  

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Hard to dislike either hire tbqh.

Only concern is once again a team with a bad owner hires a Coach BEFORE he hires a GM, and will clearly not have the Coach answer to the GM.

It's a bad organizational way of doing business, but guess we'll see.

Normally I'd agree with you here, but with a veteran HC like Rivera, I'm okay with them letting him be the top guy in the organization. With his track record, and the amount of time he has in the league, I have no problem with him picking a GM he can work with, and leading the organization..

I'm not comparing Rivera with Belichek, but look at the Pats. Their GM answers to Bill. It isn't necessary to have the GM be above the coach in the hierarchy if you have a strong HC. When you have one like Rivera, you let him get a guy who's going to follow his lead and get him the players he wants. The GM can handle the salary cap, scouting department, etc.

BTW Happy New Year, my friend.

Remember that year we didn’t want to hire Andy Reid because we had Bowles? I feel like Rivers is a similar caliber coach, and he was there for the taking... but we’re locked into the mirage of scoring 16 pets per game against an easy as pie schedule.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

On a related note, I would freaking love it if Gase saw fit to hire Pat Shurmur to help with the offense. He’s not a head coach, but he does a lot of interesting things on offense and developed some real talent with the Giants 

I actually agree with @T0mShane on this one that and the fact the NY Jets need all the help they can get with the offensive play calling. 

53 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Remember that year we didn’t want to hire Andy Reid because we had Bowles? I feel like Rivers is a similar caliber coach, and he was there for the taking... but we’re locked into the mirage of scoring 16 pets per game against an easy as pie schedule.

Agree, and of course Shane (Gase’s JN burner account) took umbrage with it when I posted in a thread weeks ago when Rivera was fired.

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Rivera is know near the coach Reid is. sorry.