Will Jamal Adams get record-setting deal from Jets? It's complicated

18 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

$17-18MM/year for a safety because they paid Mosley so much. Yeesh. Of course I wasn't thrilled with $17MM for a MLB before him in the first place. 

Well, it's settled: they're going to have to find an edge rusher in the draft (and it wouldn't hurt if QW became the best he was drafted to be). If they manage to snag a really good edge rusher the end result/total is the same, even if it's upside-down or backwards in cost. Because there's 2 of these non-premiums getting paid veteran salaries on the same roster, they probably additionally need to really hit on a mid/late round (or UDFA) OLman on top of that. And not a Brandon Shell type "hit" -- a borderline or actual probowler. 

They can't buy every position and pay them record-breaking contracts. Darnold on his rookie deal proportionally clears only so much; we can't keep counting the savings on those same dollars two or three times. Blink your eyes and his $9-10MM hits are going to nearly quadruple. 

I'm bookmarking this post to use every single time someone says "WE HAVE PLENTY OF CAP SPACE".

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

$17-18MM/year for a safety because they paid Mosley so much. Yeesh. Of course I wasn't thrilled with $17MM for a MLB before him in the first place. 

Well, it's settled: they're going to have to find an edge rusher in the draft (and it wouldn't hurt if QW became the best he was drafted to be). If they manage to snag a really good edge rusher the end result/total is the same, even if it's upside-down or backwards in cost. Because there's 2 of these non-premiums getting paid veteran salaries on the same roster, they probably additionally need to really hit on a mid/late round (or UDFA) OLman on top of that. And not a Brandon Shell type "hit" -- a borderline or actual probowler. 

They can't buy every position and pay them record-breaking contracts. Darnold on his rookie deal proportionally clears only so much; we can't keep counting the savings on those same dollars two or three times. Blink your eyes and his $9-10MM hits are going to nearly  quadruple. 

What about corner?  Who the **** is going to play corner?  I would suggest this - extend him now, but the real big money doesn't start until we can get out of Mosley's deal.  Adams plays up so much we can justify him taking Mosley's spot.  The next CBA may make most of this irrelevant anyway.  Everything will blow up in 2021.  Clean sheet!

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What about corner?  Who the **** is going to play corner?  I would suggest this - extend him now, but the real big money doesn't start until we can get out of Mosley's deal.  Adams plays up so much we can justify him taking Mosley's spot.  The next CBA may make most of this irrelevant anyway.  Everything will blow up in 2021.  Clean sheet!

Totally. People are glossing over it too easily because of the greater needs at OL and WR (and edge rusher), but honestly they need a corner (or two) just as badly. It's more a matter of which position(s) lift the team more. And we're busy locking up an ILB and a SS at $17MM apiece.

Corner is still a premium position -- more premium than safety. This newly established $14MM top tier for safeties? Trumaine Johnson was getting that 4 years ago (when the cap limit was $155MM not $200MM like today) as a franchise-tagged corner -- as in the average of the top 5, not the pace-setter for all other corners. Meanwhile undrafted AJ Bouye started 11 games in 2016 (his only one with >2 starts) in the last year of his rookie deal, and parlayed that into $14MM/year also 3 offseasons ago. The year before he saw more action on specials than on defense, as he got demoted from his 2nd season. Even with all these bloated new deals that just came in, that'd be a top 5-6 safety contract if it was signed right now 3 years later. Revis's contract from Tampa from way back in 2013 would still be far an away the highest salary safety. So would Asomugha's $15MM/yr contract from back in 2009. 

Also clouding this positional value calculus, in the eyes of some/many, is there haven't been as many top corners whose extensions came due. Peters would have broken the bank if he wasn't such a nutbag (which would probably lead to him being a more consistent player in coverage as well); and even with all his baggage he still would pace all the safeties. Xavian Howard had 12 games of a probowl season and got $16MM per. Most of the rest of the top corner deals were contracts signed around 2016-2017 without another 3+ years of inflation, or the top guys are still older ones so they don't cap out as high on subsequent extensions. It's more coincidence of contract timing + age, since there are only so many top corners to go around, than decreased positional value outright.  

The only thing favorable to a hole at CB vs a position like LT is you can figure you've gotten lucky with a good one by easing him in slowly. 2nd-string LTs of course don't go on & off the field and gradually get increased playing time. But you still have to find them. It's hard enough to find a really good, consistent, starting corner in any round; let alone when the draft annually comes after the temptation of the usual sh*tshow FA corners that teams let go - if you get lucky, they'll usually give you one good season followed by team regret. Even harder if you're valuing another 4 more positions in the draft that are ahead of corner in the first place (OLx2, WR, EDGE). 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a corner taken in round 2, and people who see all the WR/OL prospects still on the board will go postal. Even more than when we took a ****ing safety with the 6th overall pick and then followed up with another near the top of round 2. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Totally. People are glossing over it too easily because of the greater needs at OL and WR (and edge rusher), but honestly they need a corner (or two) just as badly. It's more a matter of which position(s) lift the team more. And we're busy locking up an ILB and a SS at $17MM apiece.

Corner is still a premium position -- more premium than safety. This newly established $14MM top tier for safeties? Trumaine Johnson was getting that 4 years ago (when the cap limit was $155MM not $200MM like today) as a franchise-tagged corner -- as in the average of the top 5, not the pace-setter for all other corners. Meanwhile undrafted AJ Bouye started 11 games in 2016 (his only one with >2 starts) in the last year of his rookie deal, and parlayed that into $14MM/year also 3 offseasons ago. The year before he saw more action on specials than on defense, as he got demoted from his 2nd season. Even with all these bloated new deals that just came in, that'd be a top 5-6 safety contract if it was signed right now 3 years later. Revis's contract from Tampa from way back in 2013 would still be far an away the highest salary safety. So would Asomugha's $15MM/yr contract from back in 2009. 

Also clouding this positional value calculus, in the eyes of some/many, is there haven't been as many top corners whose extensions came due. Peters would have broken the bank if he wasn't such a nutbag (which would probably lead to him being a more consistent player in coverage as well); and even with all his baggage he still would pace all the safeties. Xavian Howard had 12 games of a probowl season and got $16MM per. Most of the rest of the top corner deals were contracts signed around 2016-2017 without another 3+ years of inflation, or the top guys are still older ones so they don't cap out as high on subsequent extensions. It's more coincidence of contract timing + age, since there are only so many top corners to go around, than decreased positional value outright.  

The only thing favorable to a hole at CB vs a position like LT is you can figure you've gotten lucky with a good one by easing him in slowly. 2nd-string LTs of course don't go on & off the field and gradually get increased playing time. But you still have to find them. It's hard enough to find a really good, consistent, starting corner in any round; let alone when the draft annually comes after the temptation of the usual sh*tshow FA corners that teams let go - if you get lucky, they'll usually give you one good season followed by team regret. Even harder if you're valuing another 4 more positions in the draft that are ahead of corner in the first place (OLx2, WR, EDGE). 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a corner taken in round 2, and people who see all the WR/OL prospects still on the board will go postal. Even more than when we took a ****ing safety with the 6th overall pick and then followed up with another near the top of round 2. 

It will be interesting how they handle CB.  I don't think they were particularly satisfied because they moved guys around.  They seemed to settle on Austin and Maulet, but Austin was benched for the last game and a half after his gaffe against Pittsburgh.  Canady took his place.  Hairston got some run, but I have no idea how they feel about him. 

Roberts is a guy everyone wants to cut because of his contract, but he played plenty and he is the one that kicked to S when Wonder Boy went down.  I think he played 10% of the snaps for the season at S.  With Poole a FA and Johnson on his way out, Roberts is the one semi-reliable vet. 

I don't know if Gregg Williams is happy with sketchy non-name bargain CBs, or if he was just dealing the hand he was dealt and waiting to correct it this off-season.  During the 2019 offseason they added Poole for Skrine while Maccagnan was in town. After he left, they traded for Hairston, and added Canady.  Were they just taking what was available, or are they satisfied with those kinds of moves?

37 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It will be interesting how they handle CB.  I don't think they were particularly satisfied because they moved guys around.  They seemed to settle on Austin and Maulet, but Austin was benched for the last game and a half after his gaffe against Pittsburgh.  Canady took his place.  Hairston got some run, but I have no idea how they feel about him. 

Roberts is a guy everyone wants to cut because of his contract, but he played plenty and he is the one that kicked to S when Wonder Boy went down.  I think he played 10% of the snaps for the season at S.  With Poole a FA and Johnson on his way out, Roberts is the one semi-reliable vet. 

I don't know if Gregg Williams is happy with sketchy non-name bargain CBs, or if he was just dealing the hand he was dealt and waiting to correct it this off-season.  During the 2019 offseason they added Poole for Skrine while Maccagnan was in town. After he left, they traded for Hairston, and added Canady.  Were they just taking what was available, or are they satisfied with those kinds of moves?

Could be that they benched Austin because they could do that to get the message across without worrying about ruining their playoff chances. That's what I'm hoping, anyway.

I'm sure Williams is not happy with El Cheapo corners, with a trio costing some $10MM collectively. But he can't complain too much about that, and then still retain a safety that'd allegedly get $15MM/year on the open market, plus another the team burned a high pick to get in that same draft. Then again drafting corners high doesn't mean getting great ones either. Few of them ever become Revis. At least half the time you get Kyle Wilson.

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah, I'm sure the guy who compared himself to Brady and Aaron Donald is going to give the Jets a team-friendly deal.  

Oh, I agree. Key words being "if he is smart", but even then smart people often succumb to their ego. Plus, team friendly doesn't have to mean player unfriendly. I'd take 45 fully guaranteed over 70 with only 30 guaranteed, particularly with how guys get cut/injured in the league. That money alone sets up comfortable family wealth for generations if you invest wisely as opposed to immediately buying super cars and street cred at the club.

New York Jets are in no position to pay Jamal Adams, should seek trade

The New York Jets would be wise to avoid paying Jamal Adams due to the current state of the roster and instead seek a trade involving the All-Pro safety.

As the 2020 offseason is now upon us, New York Jets general manager Joe Douglas will be overseeing his first free agency and draft in this position. In terms of the salary cap, the Jets are in a good position this offseason.

It is just a matter of using that money productively.

The New York Post’s Brian Costello details the Jets’ current cap situation going into the offseason.

“The Jets have just under $60 million in cap space, according to overthecap.com. That number can jump to closer to $80 million with a few cuts – Trumaine Johnson, Brian Winters and Avery Williamson all range from definitely gone (Johnson, Winters) to possibly (Williamson).”

Costello says while this could be seen as a lot of money to play with, the Jets will have 22 unrestricted free agents and their best player will want a new contract, so a good amount of that money may not be of use when free agency begins.

The “best player” in question? Safety Jamal Adams.

There is no question that Jamal is the heart and soul of the Jets. In some down years, he has been one of the few playing with any sort of heart or tenacity. As such, he deserves every dollar he would get in a new contract.

That contract should just not be paid by the Jets.

One issue that complicates this is the contract that Chicago Bears safety Eddie Jackson recently signed. Jackson is now the highest-paid safety in NFL history, signing a four-year extension worth $58.4 million. The contract comes with $33 million worth of total guarantees.

By Pro Football Focus‘ metrics, Jackson posted a 66.9 grade in 2019 while Jamal Adams posted an 88.2. Moreover, SNY cites PFF saying “Adams led all safeties with 44 defensive stops and 22 quarterback pressures.”

Keeping these statistics in mind, and the fact that Adams is a few years younger, he will undoubtedly (and deservedly) eclipse Eddie Jackson‘s numbers in his new deal.

Whether off the edgealong the offensive line, or any of the other holes the team has, Jamal Adams is a luxury the Jets simply cannot afford to pony up top dollar for right now. A football team is supposed to be built from the trenches out.

Adams was not a pick of Douglas nor head coach Adam Gase. For their tenure, it might behoove them to see what they would be able to receive in exchange for moving him elsewhere in 2020.

If Gase’s response in press conferences is any indication, he is upset the team is saddled with the contract of running back Le’Veon BellBell is bringing a ~$15 million cap hit into 2020.

For a player on the roster who did not come under Douglas or Gase, this is a sizable hit. There are certainly arguments to be made about how underutilized in the offense Bell currently is and how Gase should be using him, but that’s a story for another day.

One may infer that it is a big ask to invest heavily in two players (unless the new regime absolutely loves and believes in them) that they did not invest in, to begin with.

To Douglas’ credit, he certainly knows Adams’ worth. Rumor is that while in talks with the Dallas Cowboys, Douglas was asking for Zack Martin before being rebuffed.

The Cowboys also know Adams’ worth as they were said to offer first and third-round picks in the 2020 NFL Draft, and returned with an offer of one first and two second-round picks.

The Jets were unmoved, allegedly looking for first-round picks in 2020 and 2021, in addition to a day two pick in one of those time frames.

With the new league set to begin, CBS has predicted that the Cowboys will try and make a run at Adams once again.

“Dallas will again try to spark a trade with the Jets once the new league year begins in March. The asking price may come down a bit due to Adams being disgruntled and entering the final year of his rookie deal in 2020, which lends to unlikely odds he’ll sign an extension with a team he feels betrayed by.”

As we get closer to the 2020 NFL draft, perhaps the Cowboys (or any team for that matter) will covet the star safety and give them some compensation the team deems satisfactory.

A proverbial elephant in the room is what might happen if Douglas picks up the phone to listen to any potential trade offers for Adams. We all remember what happened when the dirty laundry aired out around the trade deadline when these Adams to Cowboys rumors first surfaced.

Douglas did the right thing, picking up the phone looking for any and all avenues to improve the team how he sees fit. Yes, Adams may have been hurt by these discussions, but as someone who has had family play in the NFL, he has to know that this is just part of the business.

Since this dust-up, Douglas and Adams are said to have “mended fences.”

As it currently stands, it looks like the Jets and Adams are currently in negotiations for a new contract. Nobody worth their salt would disagree that this would be a bad idea.

Seeing where your star player stands with figures negotiating a new contract is typical, and the Jets are certainly not better off with Adams and what he brings to the table.

For his part, Adams appears to know his worth.

“I’ve proven that I’m the best safety doing it right now. I’m not trying to be paid just to be the highest-paid whatever. I’m trying to get paid for my status and what I’ve done. That’s what I’m about right now.”

He is only slated to make $3.5 million in 2020 as it currently stands on his rookie deal. Adams deserves every dime he will get in a future contract. His services will not come cheap.

Nobody is unappreciative of what Jamal Adams brings to the Jets and the New York area as a whole. Quite the contrary. However, he just did not come into the league in this current regime

With Joe Douglas not going anywhere in the midst of a six-year deal, he may want to flip an extremely valuable asset to obtain equally valuable draft capital in order to expedite a rebuild and mold the team in his vision that much quicker.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Eaton Beaver said:

New York Jets are in no position to pay Jamal Adams, should seek trade

The New York Jets would be wise to avoid paying Jamal Adams due to the current state of the roster and instead seek a trade involving the All-Pro safety.

As the 2020 offseason is now upon us, New York Jets general manager Joe Douglas will be overseeing his first free agency and draft in this position. In terms of the salary cap, the Jets are in a good position this offseason.

It is just a matter of using that money productively.

The New York Post’s Brian Costello details the Jets’ current cap situation going into the offseason.

“The Jets have just under $60 million in cap space, according to overthecap.com. That number can jump to closer to $80 million with a few cuts – Trumaine Johnson, Brian Winters and Avery Williamson all range from definitely gone (Johnson, Winters) to possibly (Williamson).”

Costello says while this could be seen as a lot of money to play with, the Jets will have 22 unrestricted free agents and their best player will want a new contract, so a good amount of that money may not be of use when free agency begins.

The “best player” in question? Safety Jamal Adams.

There is no question that Jamal is the heart and soul of the Jets. In some down years, he has been one of the few playing with any sort of heart or tenacity. As such, he deserves every dollar he would get in a new contract.

That contract should just not be paid by the Jets.

One issue that complicates this is the contract that Chicago Bears safety Eddie Jackson recently signed. Jackson is now the highest-paid safety in NFL history, signing a four-year extension worth $58.4 million. The contract comes with $33 million worth of total guarantees.

By Pro Football Focus‘ metrics, Jackson posted a 66.9 grade in 2019 while Jamal Adams posted an 88.2. Moreover, SNY cites PFF saying “Adams led all safeties with 44 defensive stops and 22 quarterback pressures.”

Keeping these statistics in mind, and the fact that Adams is a few years younger, he will undoubtedly (and deservedly) eclipse Eddie Jackson‘s numbers in his new deal.

Whether off the edgealong the offensive line, or any of the other holes the team has, Jamal Adams is a luxury the Jets simply cannot afford to pony up top dollar for right now. A football team is supposed to be built from the trenches out.

Adams was not a pick of Douglas nor head coach Adam Gase. For their tenure, it might behoove them to see what they would be able to receive in exchange for moving him elsewhere in 2020.

If Gase’s response in press conferences is any indication, he is upset the team is saddled with the contract of running back Le’Veon BellBell is bringing a ~$15 million cap hit into 2020.

For a player on the roster who did not come under Douglas or Gase, this is a sizable hit. There are certainly arguments to be made about how underutilized in the offense Bell currently is and how Gase should be using him, but that’s a story for another day.

One may infer that it is a big ask to invest heavily in two players (unless the new regime absolutely loves and believes in them) that they did not invest in, to begin with.

To Douglas’ credit, he certainly knows Adams’ worth. Rumor is that while in talks with the Dallas Cowboys, Douglas was asking for Zack Martin before being rebuffed.

The Cowboys also know Adams’ worth as they were said to offer first and third-round picks in the 2020 NFL Draft, and returned with an offer of one first and two second-round picks.

The Jets were unmoved, allegedly looking for first-round picks in 2020 and 2021, in addition to a day two pick in one of those time frames.

With the new league set to begin, CBS has predicted that the Cowboys will try and make a run at Adams once again.

“Dallas will again try to spark a trade with the Jets once the new league year begins in March. The asking price may come down a bit due to Adams being disgruntled and entering the final year of his rookie deal in 2020, which lends to unlikely odds he’ll sign an extension with a team he feels betrayed by.”

As we get closer to the 2020 NFL draft, perhaps the Cowboys (or any team for that matter) will covet the star safety and give them some compensation the team deems satisfactory.

A proverbial elephant in the room is what might happen if Douglas picks up the phone to listen to any potential trade offers for Adams. We all remember what happened when the dirty laundry aired out around the trade deadline when these Adams to Cowboys rumors first surfaced.

Douglas did the right thing, picking up the phone looking for any and all avenues to improve the team how he sees fit. Yes, Adams may have been hurt by these discussions, but as someone who has had family play in the NFL, he has to know that this is just part of the business.

Since this dust-up, Douglas and Adams are said to have “mended fences.”

As it currently stands, it looks like the Jets and Adams are currently in negotiations for a new contract. Nobody worth their salt would disagree that this would be a bad idea.

Seeing where your star player stands with figures negotiating a new contract is typical, and the Jets are certainly not better off with Adams and what he brings to the table.

For his part, Adams appears to know his worth.

“I’ve proven that I’m the best safety doing it right now. I’m not trying to be paid just to be the highest-paid whatever. I’m trying to get paid for my status and what I’ve done. That’s what I’m about right now.”

He is only slated to make $3.5 million in 2020 as it currently stands on his rookie deal. Adams deserves every dime he will get in a future contract. His services will not come cheap.

Nobody is unappreciative of what Jamal Adams brings to the Jets and the New York area as a whole. Quite the contrary. However, he just did not come into the league in this current regime

With Joe Douglas not going anywhere in the midst of a six-year deal, he may want to flip an extremely valuable asset to obtain equally valuable draft capital in order to expedite a rebuild and mold the team in his vision that much quicker.

Finally, a non-lemming in the media who gets it.  

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Eaton Beaver said:

What a very high bar they set for this young fellow

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What a very high bar they set for this young fellow

The fact we're even debating paying a strong safety 17 million a year is why this franchise is no different than the Mets or Knicks. It's never going to happen. Money tied up into players who dont score touchdowns, throw touchdowns or sack the quarterback.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The fact we're even debating paying a strong safety 17 million a year is why this franchise is no different than the Mets or Knicks. It's never going to happen. Money tied up into players who dont score touchdowns, throw touchdowns or sack the quarterback.

Jamal Porzingis 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Do you  have a link to this $17 million talk? 

Adams is a great player and should be on the Jets for a long time.  He should replace Mosley as the high paid player in the middle of the defense.  

As a high first round draft pick, Adams received over $20mm in guaranties over 4 years, subject to a fifth year option.  That is a lot of guaranteed money for a 21 year old.   Eddie Jackson received a fraction of that, subject to a four year contract.  Adams, as the 6th pick in the 2017 received a very generous 4 year (+1) contract for a kid coming out of college, intended to be binding for four years of service.  

It seems clear to me that, if you want to extend a player and have him play for you for a long time, you can't make them play out their outdated contract that they are clearly outperforming.  But I don't know whether that means extending a first round safety after 3 years.   What non-QBs have been extended after three years?  What QBs have been extended after three years?

Unless JD thought that taking the cap hit this year would moderate the future year hits and make the team better long term, I would be inclined to make Adams play his fourth year at the original contract and extend after that.  If Adams does not like that, there is the fifth year option.  That contract could be the highest paid safety contract next year, which will be more than this year.  That could be ok.   But cap space this year should be focusing on filling holes and supporting Darnold, not increasing Adams 2020 Cap Number from $7mm to $15+mm.   He can get that number when Mosley and Bell are reduced.  

Just my two cents.

I actually agree with this. Everyone knows I’m on the side of keeping Adams long term unless some bone head GM feels like giving us something like a Herschel Walker deal.

But even with that being my stance, I also see no reason to extend this year.

I would sit down with Adams and tell him and his agent that I will absolutely extend him long term next season before the 5th yr option and that he will like the contract.

But I simply can’t do it in good sense this year. Be a team player and I will reward you!

Then I would look him dead in the eyes and say If he wants to play games and hold out I will literally shelf him this year where his hold out will cost him his $7 mil, I’ll tack on the 5th yr option and then franchise him for 2 more years. I will not take a trade and he will simply sit there and rot his prime away. F it!

We literally own him for 4 more years if hard ball needs to be played.

Then I’d stick my hand out, smile and say

“deal?”

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

would sit down with Adams and tell him and his agent that I will absolutely extend him long term next season before the 5th yr option and he that will like the contract. 

Neither side would agree to this because of threat of a potential injury.

Neither side would agree to this because of threat of a potential injury.

Meh.
He’s under contract so it’s all moot. He plays out the last year his contract and I don’t slap the 5th year on him . The leverage is there. It’s all about the correct crook of the eye brow.
JD gives me the impression he may have it down.
I’m not sure yet.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Meh.
He’s under contract so it’s all moot. He plays out the last year his contract and I don’t slap the 5th year on him . The leverage is there. It’s all about the correct crook of the eye brow.
JD gives me the impression he may have it down.
I’m not sure yet.

Jamal doesn't get paid this offseason, he WILL create trouble.  He's not playing on $3.5M (or $7M I've heard both figures mentioned).