Cam Newton/Panthers will part ways.

34 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Okay, let me ask you and @Bruce Harper a serious question. There's no right or wrong answer, it's only your opinion, and lets leave the merits of whether a QB is going to become a franchise guy or not out of it. Simply a roster management question.

Assuming we had a competent GM, which do you think would be the better Jets roster heading into next season?

The one we have, or the one we'd have if we took a QB at #6 and kept our 3 2nd round picks back in 2018?

Macc couldn’t draft for crap outside of the top 6 in the first round. I wish he traded his whole draft every year to climb as high into the first as possible.

If we didn’t do the deal and get Darnold, I guarantee Macc takes Rosen instead. Can you imagine how horrible this board would be as a battleground between the Rosen-truthers (“he just needs weaponz!”) and the Rosen-haters? I’ve seen that movie way too many times before here.

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How often do teams win a Super Bowl with a QB they didn't draft?  I can only think of the 2015 Broncos (Peyton) and 2010 Saints (Brees) in the last 15-20 years.  And of course the 2009 Cardinals (Warner) made it to the SB.   I think we can all agree those were all very unique cases, with injury histories involved as the reason they were let go by the teams that drafted them.

Quarterbacks brought to team through free agency/trade and led team to the Super Bowl during the NFL Salary Cap Era

Super Bowl Winners in Bold

LIV - Jimmy Garoppolo (Trade)

LII - Nick Foles (Free Agency)

50 - Peyton Manning (Free Agency)

XLVIII - Peyton Manning (Free Agency)

XLIV - Drew Brees (Free Agency)

XLIII - Kurt Warner (Free Agency)

XL - Matt Hasselbeck (Trade)

XXXVIII - Jake Delhomme (Free Agency)

XXXVII - Brad Johnson (Free Agency) vs Rich Gannon (Free Agency)

XXXVI - Kurt Warner (Free Agency)

XXXV - Trent Dilfer (Free Agency) vs Kerry Collins (Free Agency)

XXXIV - Kurt Warner (Free Agency)

XXXIII - Chris Chandler (Trade)

XXXII - Brett Favre (Trade to Packers after Falcons drafted him)

XXXI - Brett Favre (Trade to Packers after Falcons drafted him)

XXIX - Stan Humphries (Trade)

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Foles bounced around before coming back to Philly as a backup, but he was still drafted by the Eagles.  

The fact is he was traded away by the team who drafted him to the Rams for Sam Bradford to be the Eagles franchise quarterback, and after 1 season he was released by the Rams, then he rejoined Andy Reid (the coach who drafted him) in Kansas City for a year before being released again and heading back to Philadelphia in March 2017 to be Carson Wentz's backup in 2017. Your whole argument here is you draft a quarterback and win a Super Bowl on his rookie contract. Foles traded away and by the time he was with Philadelphia again he was a VETERAN quarterback signed to be the backup to the franchise quarterback. Tell me how many quarterbacks were drafted by a team, then traded away, and come back to win a Super Bowl. 

10 hours ago, slats said:

I didn't call drafted unproven QBs franchise QBs, and addressed most of your points in my post above. 

You said that "the shortcut to getting to the Super Bowl is landing a franchise QB in the draft, and building around him before his rookie contract is up." 

Im saying that you just dont land a franchise QB in the draft as a shortcut. It's not that simple. For folks looking to young franchise QB's should still be looking for ways to win. 

Alex Smith was a place-holder. I'm sure he's a great guy, but he was never going to get anyone over the top. The Chiefs got over the top with Pat Mahomes and his $4.4M cap number. Cousins didn't work, Foles didn't work. Of all these guys coming onto the market, who's getting paid and by whom? If Cousins didn't prove to be such a bad decision, Tannehill might get some longer looks, but I think teams will be approaching him cautiously. Rivers looked like toast to me, and Brady's looking a little toasty, too. Is Andy Dalton taking anyone to the Super Bowl? 

No, given the chance I'm gonna try to find my QB in the draft and fast-track his development over any of those guys. 

Sometimes having placeholders until you find what you need is necessary. Sure, he was a place holder, and a valuable one at that. More valuable than what most teams have had in this league. You need to be competitive, and this all or nothing type rhetoric isnt realistic. 

You build the best team that you can, and if you plug in Phillip Rivers in order to stay competitive until you can get a young long term answer, well...then you do that. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You said that "the shortcut to getting to the Super Bowl is landing a franchise QB in the draft, and building around him before his rookie contract is up." 

Im saying that you just dont land a franchise QB in the draft as a shortcut. It's not that simple. For folks looking to young franchise QB's should still be looking for ways to win. 

Talk about your hot takes! 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Sometimes having placeholders until you find what you need is necessary. Sure, he was a place holder, and a valuable one at that. More valuable than what most teams have had in this league. You need to be competitive, and this all or nothing type rhetoric isnt realistic. 

You build the best team that you can, and if you plug in Phillip Rivers in order to stay competitive until you can get a young long term answer, well...then you do that. 

You can be competitive with a place-holder, win some games, put some fannies in the seats, but if your goal is to win a Super Bowl, recent history tells us that isn't the way to do it. 

Of course drafting a franchise QB isn't as easy as wishing it to be, but having a franchise level QB on a rookie deal is the easiest, best, and proven way to get a team into the Super Bowl. That's why you're seeing Carolina say goodbye to Cam Newton, why the Cowboys are on the fence with Dak Prescott. These are decent QBs, but (I don't think) decent QBs aren't worth what the market pays them. I'm sure teams have their analytics guys do production/dollar. Is Philip Rivers at $25M a better value than Josh Allen at $5M? The same way we've seen the RB position get devalued, I think we'll see QBs who aren't elite start to get treated the same way. I think that's what we're starting to see now. Draft a QB, give him every opportunity over three or four years, and then either commit or start over. 

And this goes for Darnold, too, who I like and support, but he needs to have a breakout, consistent season this year. The following year could be too late.