NY Jets Coaching Changes

rangerous

Interesting tidbit from the Post.  Sounds like Gase is getting the support of the team and the coaches.  That's a good thing.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/28/the-long-awaited-advantage-adam-gase-has-in-second-jets-season/

The long-awaited advantage Adam Gase has in second Jets seasonBy Brian Costello February 28, 2020 | 2:25pm |

INDIANAPOLIS – For the first time in a long time, the Jets entered an offseason with some continuity.

The Jets did not change any of their coordinators for the first time since 2011. Not only did the Jets bring head coach Adam Gase back for a second season, but offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and special teams coordinator Brant Boyer all returned as well.

In all, Gase only lost two low-level defensive assistant coaches, a remarkably low turnover rate. Now, Gase hopes it translates into better productivity for the Jets in 2020.

“I think Year 2 is the usually the biggest kind of jump whether it’s a player, coach,” Gase said. “It’s been nice to be able to take that time off after the season, jump right into it. … Just going through our meetings, sitting in the defensive stuff and going through the offensive meetings with our self-scout, it’s been valuable. I think there’s a lot of learning that’s going on. There’s a lot of ways to close loopholes on some stuff. It’s been important this last month or so.”

Gase’s first season with the Jets got off to a rocky 1-7 start, but they went 6-2 in the second half of the season. Gase hopes with the players already familiar with his offense and Williams’ defense, they can avoid the early-season learning curve that occurred last season.

“It’s that second year in the program,” Gase said. “I think guys will have a better understanding coming into it what to expect. It starts in the spring and then heads into training camp. It’s just a lot of those little, tiny things that you didn’t know when you’re a player or even a coach that you know going into it. A lot of the little details guys can clean up. That helps you in games.”

Gase was asked at the Scouting Combine this week what he feels he can do better in his second season with the Jets. He said he feels like he is already ahead of last year simply because of the relationships he built in Year 1.

“It’s knowing our guys,” Gase said. “When you have more of a relationship heading into the season that’s a critical thing. It’s something that shortcuts anything that happens with players where they’re not sure on something, they’re not afraid to come ask you. You can get things cleaned up so much faster instead of everybody trying to feel their way out. We got there at the end of the year especially where guys were very open and honest, if they didn’t understand something, they came and asked. If we weren’t on the same page, we’d get it figured out quickly.”

One of the arguments for not firing Gase when fans were calling for his head was that quarterback Sam Darnold could benefit from having the same system for a second year. The Jets have mowed through coaches in the last decade and players have been asked to learn new systems every year or two. Darnold already should have the basics of Gase’s offense down.

“It’s kind of like the coaching staff, that second year in doing anything you can close a lot of the questions you have,” Gase said. “You have those answers. It allows him to play faster. Heading into offseason, he’ll know so much of the system. It’s not more of a learning, ‘Hey what’s the formation, what’s the play call?’ Those things he’s got a great grasp on. It’s the fine details of if you do get a coverage that you weren’t expecting, knowing where to go with the ball, knowing your outs, knowing those little tiny things that you close those loopholes, you can play fast and you make the right decisions at the most critical parts of the game.”

This is the first time the Jets will have the same offensive system since 2016 when Chan Gailey made it to his second season. Since Brian Schottenheimer was fired in 2011 the Jets have gone through six different offensive coordinators – Tony Sparano, Marty Mornhinweg, Gailey, John Morton, Jeremy Bates and Loggains. On defense, the Jets made changes in 2013 and then in 2015 when Todd Bowles was hired as head coach. The Jets went through five different special teams coordinators in five years before Boyer managed to retain the job. The 2020 Jets have not had that offseason change. Now, they hope it results in some in-season changes in the win column.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, TNJet said:

I'm just glad Gase will be gone before Douglas. If we fix the online and we still go 6-10 with an anemic offense with Sam healthy, this clown gets the axe.

The fanbase latching onto this whole "everything is working against Sam" angle isnt exactly great for the "culture." 

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The fanbase latching onto this whole "everything is working against Sam" angle isnt exactly great for the "culture." 

Sam's offensive coach Gase's offense, is always ranked dead end of the NFL the last 3 or 4 years with or without Sam. Yeah lets blame Sam...lol.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Sam's offensive coach Gase's offense, is always ranked dead end of the NFL the last 3 or 4 years with or without Sam. Yeah lets blame Sam...lol.

No blame being given. However if I’m blocking or catching for Sam I’d probably start getting a little annoyed that he’s absolved from everything and it’s everyone else’s fault. Also considering he most likely got sick and missed time because he was partying. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

Just now, Matt39 said:

No blame being given. However if I’m blocking or catching for Sam I’d probably start getting a little annoyed that he’s absolved from everything and it’s everyone else’s fault. Also considering he most likely got sick and missed time because he was partying. 

Oh yes, he partied. And partied hard. He's still our franchise QB for a couple more years and he gets my support since we have trotted out has beens and losers like Sanchez, Fitztragic and McClown for over a decade. I've seen more positive from Sam in 2 years than those turds put together.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

The thing that will be wonderful will be when the Jets offense vaults into 27th in the league next year and Gase has praise heaped on him for making real progress.  Of course we will have so many rookies that we have to wait for year three because it will be year two for the rookies, which is when they make their great leap.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Gases offenses have gotten worse each of the last 4 years.

So has the talent on those respective teams. We know he wasn’t responsible for 99.995% of the players on this Jets roster, and we know that the Dolphins were a case of Tannenbaumian turmoil up until this season, so Gase has, at the least, a little bit of an out there 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

TLDR:  The worst offense in the NFL didn't make a single change to anything on the Offensive Coaching side.

Apparently "knowing his guys" is all he needs.  No comment on why he didn't "know his guys" in 2019.

I think he knew that most of “his guys” sucked in 2019 and he’s hoping for some improvement to “his guys” this offseason. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Oh yes, he partied. And partied hard. He's still our franchise QB for a couple more years and he gets my support since we have trotted out has beens and losers like Sanchez, Fitztragic and McClown for over a decade. I've seen more positive from Sam in 2 years than those turds put together.

As much as the end of the Sanchez era was a disaster he did show us some positives, not to mention two AFCCG. Fitz also went 10-6 and almost got us into the playoffs.

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

TLDR:  The worst offense in the NFL didn't make a single change to anything on the Offensive Coaching side.

Apparently "knowing his guys" is all he needs.  No comment on why he didn't "know his guys" in 2019.

Well, I Know his offense has always sucked without some hof'er named Manning running it. Am I a genius the same as Gase?

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Keeping the coaching staff together is a good indication that everyone in that building believes Maccagnan was the singular cause of all the teams’ struggles last season, and it’s also interesting because if Gase was the obnoxious, narcissistic weasel Mehta paints him out to be, some of these coaches would have happily skated. Gregg Williams doesn’t have to stay with the Jets, but you didn’t hear a peep about him wanting out. Reflexively, you want to dismiss Gase and start thinking about who Douglas could bring in next, but then you have to wonder how real or sustainable the 6-2 finish was, and how that reflects on the leadership within the building.

I remember Gase on with Francessa when he first got hired talking about using the draft and free agency to bring in players that fit his system and could help propel the team.

Then Mac was Mac, then Gase got the wood chipper out.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

I remember Gase on with Francessa when he first got hired talking about using the draft and free agency to bring in players that fit his system and could help propel the team.

Well Gase will have his chance won’t he. I’m anticipating an Offense heavy draft 2-3 OLmen, 2 WRs & probably a RB

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

I would have paid huge monies for a TikTok of Gase’s face when Maccagnan picked Jachai Polite.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Not sure if you know this but there’s more then one factor that goes into success with a football team. 

A 'good' coach can take lesser parts and make it at least reasonable.  A lousy coach needs huge amounts of talent.  Our own ny jets were a classic example last year.

Defense, poor talent underachieving draft picks, injuries and a good coach cobbled together a system and we were middle of the pack.

Offense, poor talent, underacting picks and injures and we were dead last in the league.

Now if in this head coaches 4 years of being a head coach you look at his resume and say, hey the jest had a bad gm and poor talent this is not on him.  However Gase did nothing of note at all when in Miami.  His offenses stunk there as well and he is an offensive coach.

And results aside, the offense play calling and design was nothing to write home about last year with just visual inspection.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

And this is another issue, go gt players that fit my system, the system that can't crack the top 20 offenses.

Gases players that fit my system = a hof QB who runs his own offense as far as success goes.

Get the best players and adapt your system to fit them, not the other way around.  (This draft, oh! lets pass on two or three great ots so we can get the best zone blocking ot out there!)

10 minutes ago, Web72 said:

Well Gase will have his chance won’t he. I’m anticipating an Offense heavy draft 2-3 OLmen, 2 WRs & probably a RB

He will also have the chance to prove all he needed was his people around him to succeed. It'll be funny when the excuses crank up this season for why we suck.

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And this is another issue, go gt players that fit my system, the system that can't crack the top 20 offenses.

Gases players that fit my system = a hof QB who runs his own offense as far as success goes.

Get the best players and adapt your system to fit them, not the other way around.  (This draft, oh! lets pass on two or three great ots so we can get the best zone blocking ot out there!)

I used the word "system" but Gase was speaking about much more than his offense. He also spoke about how Darnold will have allot of input into how he ran the offense and how each game also had allot to do with how they would play.

Listen to the interview and you will see he comes off nothing like you are portraying.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Perhaps they should keep the same players too, since they don't really matter.

That’s exactly the point.

When you’re the worst in the league - it’s a lot of factors, changing the players is clearly one of them...

But pretending like bringing back the same coaches that put up this monstrosity is a good thing is just silly...

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That’s exactly the point.

When you’re the worst in the league - it’s a lot of factors, changing the players is clearly one of them...

But pretending like bringing back the same coaches that put up this monstrosity is a good thing is just silly...

Not seeing what this coaching staff could do with a competent GM and better personnel is even more silly.

P.S. They were not the worst team in the league and were ravished by injuries/mono.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Lith said:

But there is reason for optimism; they can't rank any lower in 2020 than 2019.

I give Gase a lot of flack and I think it was a mistake that we hired him but the offense could make big strides if we fix the oline alone.  That is even without adding a back and the two WRs we need.