Everybody is building around their young QB except the Jets.

Just now, ScarletKnight89 said:

Haven't we been rebuilding for years? The rebuild started with the drafting of Sam Darnold (granted we switch regimes).

The Jets had a decent core of young players coming off a 4-12 season in 2007 and went out and splurged on Damian Woody, Alan Faneca, Calvin Pace, Tony Richardson, etc and built a window to win. 

YEs but with people who absolutely failed at the draft making the rebuild neverending

Key words there

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

YEs but with people who absolutely failed at the draft making the rebuild neverending

Key words there

And if you believe in the QB (which I do), we have a decent core of young players right now with the most important position solved. I'm sure you understand how critical it is to protect the QB. I'm willing to overspend in order to do that. 

He basically only whiffed on one player

Conklin was a smokescreen and Thuney never got to FA. He whiffed on Glasgow

And even that's not really known.

He may have wanted Glasgow but not at his price.  Or Glasgow never wanted to go to NY.  Happens

1 minute ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Well, if he didn't even swing, all the worse. Did he sniff? He didn't swing, but did he sniff? Do you know?

No it isn't.  Lets see his plan work out.  Being pissed in March because you didnt wake up to every FA available to an offense being signed isn't whiffing

I don't know if he sniffed. I don't know how he had these OL rated.  I would think as a former OL he would have opinions based a little deeper than his name is recognizable or is available for nothing more than a small fortune.

9 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

He's right because the offseason just started

Because we just gave $30mm to a JAG....who likely isn’t any better than what we have...while all the upgradable guys are gone.

This off season had to be about seriously upgrading the Oline and giving Darnold legitimate weapons.  That ship has already sailed in FA.  

We still have the draft but, to me, it’s pretty clear other teams are doing whatever it takes to build around their young QB’s while JD is pussyfooting around it.

It’s already clear they’re going to send Darnold out with sub par weapons and a sub par OL.

So yes, he’s right.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Because we just gave $30mm to a JAG....who likely isn’t any better than what we have...while all the upgradable guys are gone.

This off season had to be about seriously upgrading the Oline and giving Darnold legitimate weapons.  That ship has already sailed in FA.  

We still have the draft but, to me, it’s pretty clear other teams are doing whatever it takes to build around their young QB’s while JD is pussyfooting around it.

It’s already clear they’re going to send Darnold out with sub par weapons and a sub par OL.

So yes, he’s right.

Yes and mortgaging their futures to do it (Except the Cardinals and Ravens, for two different reasons)

• Upvote 1

Yes and mortgaging their futures to do it (Except the Cardinals and Ravens, for two different reasons)

They’re trying to win.  Yes, let’s mortgage our future but put together a team that can compete.  I’m all for it.

We haven’t been truly competitive in over a decade by playing it safe.

last time we were competitive Tanny mortgage the future and we went to consecutive AFC Championship games.  

Mortgage the future and make a run....maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t but at least you’re trying.  Let’s try and win.

This is the NFL. The future is now. We had a team that was projected to go to the Super Bowl. What happened. Vinny ruptured his achilles. You never know what could happen to sink your season. You can't build a team through the draft alone. you have to have a make sense mixture of both.

i'm not sure what all the fuss is about.  go things don't come quickly or easily.  sure it would've been nice if the jets could simply snap their fingers and get conklin, glasgow, thuney, etc. but at the same time the decision isn't all theirs.  the players have a say in where they go and there were other teams involved.  and maybe fant isn't an all pro but he does seem like a player who could turn out pretty well.  and let's not forget there a draft coming up and hopefully they'll emphacise oline players.  it's still only day two of free agency and the fact that there are still quite a few decent players out their means the jets will still be able to fill holes other than oline.  let's see what other players they sign before saying douglas is no better than mac (impossible).

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i'm not sure what all the fuss is about.  go things don't come quickly or easily.  sure it would've been nice if the jets could simply snap their fingers and get conklin, glasgow, thuney, etc. but at the same time the decision isn't all theirs.  the players have a say in where they go and there were other teams involved.  and maybe fant isn't an all pro but he does seem like a player who could turn out pretty well.  and let's not forget there a draft coming up and hopefully they'll emphacise oline players.  it's still only day two of free agency and the fact that there are still quite a few decent players out their means the jets will still be able to fill holes other than oline.  let's see what other players they sign before saying douglas is no better than mac (impossible).

giphy.gif.416a56f990bcc7c702408b6c5246812b.gif

47 minutes ago, genot said:

When Anderson, Poole, and jenkins say goodbye, then  you'll re assess this view.

And if they don't or are replaced with others will you?

Because you're making as whole lot of predictions off of one day of pre FA signings.  Theres a whole offseason ahead of us and you and your crystal ball are whining about what we haven't done and cant get done just because.  As others have said, signing players who you recognize by name only doesnt always translate into wins.  We have a GM who I assume has a plan and is running that plan.  Lets at least see it through before whining about so and so who you wanted and JD obviously didnt

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

ITS THE FIRST FRICKING DAY OF FREE AGENCY!

My God does everybody here have a place to be? 

Agreed.  Look I admit last night was a bit frustrating but it’s still a long offseason to go.  Plus we still have the draft along with free agency. 

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

And if they don't or are replaced with others will you?

Because you're making as whole lot of predictions off of one day of pre FA signings.  Theres a whole offseason ahead of us and you and your crystal ball are whining about what we haven't done and cant get done just because.  As others have said, signing players who you recognize by name only doesnt always translate into wins.  We have a GM who I assume has a plan and is running that plan.  Lets at least see it through before whining about so and so who you wanted and JD obviously didnt

It sends a bad message around the league, and to current players on the roster, that you can't resign productive players, two of whom have been with the team from out of college. Especially if you replace them with players who haven't been as productive, or college guys, who haven't proven they can play at that level in the league. It's bad for the team, and very bad optics.

8 minutes ago, genot said:

It sends a bad message around the league, and to current players on the roster, that you can't resign productive players, two of whom have been with the team from out of college. Especially if you replace them with players who haven't been as productive, or college guys, who haven't proven they can play at that level in the league. It's bad for the team, and very bad optics.

What total nonsense.  Seriously it sends a bad message?  LOL sure it does.  Teams let players go all the time.  You know like the players who you wanted us to sign were let free to sign elsewhere.  Never mind we could still resign those players.  Or that we not only haven't let them walk if we did let someone walk their replacements aren't known yet.  

Its bad for no one at this point then a fan crying on the internet over something that hasn't happened