How far up would you draft a RB this year?

I would love to see a value pick from the Jets this year to compliment Bell. Who in this draft do you think fits that role and how far up would you go to get the guy you like given where we are in rounds 1-6? 

If we stay put with no day of trades in the draft, the guys I have liked so far are mocked anywhere in the 4-5th rounds:

Anthony McFarland and Darrynton Evans

But I wouldn't be opposed to go even further up to the 2nd if we can trade back into the later half of the 1st round given Bell's uncertainty after a tough first year. We could pick up an additional second rounder to select a more well rounded prospect like Taylor or Akers should we cut bait with Lev after this year. 

Our second 3rd rounder would be the earliest pick I'd go for a RB and it would be Akers or Gibson. I really like those two. But I wouldn't reach for a RB in the third. There should be a lot of speedy change of pace RBs available late in the draft. 

40 minutes ago, GangGreen Machine said:

But I wouldn't be opposed to go even further up to the 2nd if we can trade back into the later half of the 1st round given Bell's uncertainty after a tough first year. We could pick up an additional second rounder to select a more well rounded prospect like Taylor or Akers should we cut bait with Lev after this year. 

Too many other long term needs for the Jets to be using such a high pick on a RB IMO. Maybe if Swift fell to Rd. 2 and we traded down and had an extra second rounder. 

But I'd rather use those extra picks on a top end CB or WR along with a C/IOL or Edge after taking a LT in Rd. 1. Assuming we net an extra 2nd. 

In other words: Rd. 1- LT, Rd. 2 (WR and CB or WR and Edge or WR and C/IOL is way better than WR and RB)

I’d do it day three but I do think they may do it sooner and will almost certainly be drafting one. No backup on the roster right now and cutting Bell next year saves $9.5M.

Douglas strikes me as the kind of guy who wants the replacement on the roster already, and I can’t tell if he hasn’t signed a backup because you can pretty much pluck a veteran RB off the street whenever you want or because he’s planning on drafting the backup.

Clyde Edwards-Helaire is the only guy I’m going for before the 4th round. The other guys are nice player but they are all a mishmash of average traits. Edwards-Helaire is the pass catcher, never get hit that hard because he’s slippery guy. Take him only before 4.

• Upvote 1

A great priority free agent would be Ty'Son Williams out of BYU.  Played at UNC then transferred to South Carolina for 2 years and ended his career at BYU.  Not very much production at all, 233 carries, 1120 yards, 8 TDs, 29 catches, 231 yards, 1TD.  His final year was cut short due to an ACL tear (red flag).  He will be 24 in September (2nd red flag) but possesses good size, speed, athleticism and I love the way he finishes runs.  Turns 2-3 yards runs into 7-8 yard gains.  Check out the breakdown of his highlight video.

Pro Day:

6'0" 220

40: 4.48

Bench : 24

3-cone: 6.81

Broad: 114

20-yard shuttle: 4.21

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Clyde Edwards-Helaire is the only guy I’m going for before the 4th round. The other guys are nice player but they are all a mishmash of average traits. Edwards-Helaire is the pass catcher, never get hit that hard because he’s slippery guy. Take him only before 4.

Exactly my line of thinking and the same player I wouldn't be averse to grabbing in the 2nd. I could easily make a case that RB is even more of a need than WR. Right now we have a washed up Bell and nothing....absolutely nothing.

You draft a guy like CEH and you get a guy that can do it all. He can run for power, he can turn the edge, he's easily the best pass receiving RB in the draft, he can block, and you're not taking him down with an arm tackle like I see so many of the other RB's in this class.

Once you get into the fourth round you're pretty much in no mans land when it comes to prospects.

• Upvote 1

I know we have some CEH fans in the house - and I fancy him too, but I don't think i could justify anything higher than a 5th for Perrine. Bell going to get his touches, regardless of how uninspired it appears... at least in 2020 i suspect. Plus, who knows if we even play close to a full season.

I'd prefer some 7th/UDFA competition from B. Lemay (chalotte) or J. Robinson II (Illinois State)

There’s going to be some nice looking day 3 RB’s so I’d hold out until then. Antonio Gibson, AJ Dillon, possibly Cam Akers but it all depends who’s sitting there on the board at 120. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Darius Anderson be a late choice since he seems like a good fit for the outside zone Gase wants to run

• Upvote 1

I'm not touching RB before the 4th round at the earliest.  The first 3 Rounds (4 picks) for the Jets need to be a OLine, WR and potentially Edge and/or CB.  There are some very good RB prospects outside the Top 100 picks....I'd hope to get a McFarland or Gibson in the middle rounds.  The Jets might have to maneuver a bit to get one of those guys where they see value for him (up or down from that #120 spot).

RB is an easily fillable position these days and you can "rent" a RB for 2-3 years.  Just look a guys like Devonta Freeman (FA right now) and Todd Gurley ($5M) getting released, Melvin Gordon signed for $8M per year, etc.  There's no Christian McCaffrey or Saquon Barkley in this Draft.  We shouldn't use a Day 1 or Day 2 pick on the position in my opinion.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm not touching RB before the 4th round at the earliest.  The first 3 Rounds (4 picks) for the Jets need to be a OLine, WR and potentially Edge and/or CB.  There are some very good RB prospects outside the Top 100 picks....I'd hope to get a McFarland or Gibson in the middle rounds.  The Jets might have to maneuver a bit to get one of those guys where they see value for him (up or down from that #120 spot).

RB is an easily fillable position these days and you can "rent" a RB for 2-3 years.  Just look a guys like Devonta Freeman (FA right now) and Todd Gurley ($5M) getting released, Melvin Gordon signed for $8M per year, etc.  There's no Christian McCaffrey or Saquon Barkley in this Draft.  We shouldn't use a Day 1 or Day 2 pick on the position in my opinion.

I agree, no studs in this draft for RB. But, after the first two rounds a guy like CEH, Gibson or Evans being there in the 3rd is enticing. Have them work under bell for a year then see what they got. Plenty of talent with one of those three that could help an atrocious offense. I would love to go OT, WR RB CB with the first four picks then look to snag a guy like Gandy or Hodgins later in the 4-5th. Draft needs are not just based on this year. It would be wise to keep a lookout for a talented 2nd round talent RB falling in the third who can be an immediate boost to the run/pass game. 

On 4/14/2020 at 11:33 AM, GangGreen Machine said:

I would love to see a value pick from the Jets this year to compliment Bell. Who in this draft do you think fits that role and how far up would you go to get the guy you like given where we are in rounds 1-6? 

If we stay put with no day of trades in the draft, the guys I have liked so far are mocked anywhere in the 4-5th rounds:

Anthony McFarland and Darrynton Evans

theirs not that good RB besides zac moss . i think they draft a RB in the second round johnathin tayler