Jump to content

Post Draft PRO FA


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If this is the biggest critique of JD's first draft we're in good shape.  We have about 57 corners on the roster at the moment.  And a few of them will turn out not to be bums.

Ravens all in on the title push while they have their young franchise RB.

The Saints have agreed to a two-year contract with quarterback Taysom Hill, per Adam Schefter of ESPN.com (via Twitter). According to Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports, the deal is worth $21MM and includes $16MM in guarantees (Twitter link). It replaces the one-year RFA tender worth $4.6MM that the Saints had placed on Hill earlier this offseason.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This broke much earlier and I’m sure many have seen by now but, I’ll put it here 

 

Jameis Winston is staying in the NFC South. Hours after the 2020 NFL Draft came to an end, the Saints agreed to sign the former Bucs passer, per Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports. According to Ian Rapoport of NFL.com, it will be a one-year deal for Winston, who had more lucrative offers elsewhere but who saw a better opportunity in New Orleans (Twitter link).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Teams seem slow to add FA contracts, presumably because of the inability to conduct physicals... but I also wonder if they’re hesitant to commit 2020 contract $$$ until there’s a clear picture of whether the season will be played in full.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

We should be all over this quickly. He’s very solid and only 29. 

SOURCES: The Seattle #Seahawks are prepared to release center Justin Britt. The move will save Seattle about $8.5 million in cap space. Guard DJ Fluker just announced that he has been released, via Twitter. That move saves about $3.6 million.
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:
SOURCES: The Seattle #Seahawks are prepared to release center Justin Britt. The move will save Seattle about $8.5 million in cap space. Guard DJ Fluker just announced that he has been released, via Twitter. That move saves about $3.6 million.

Just fluker not him lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • The Jets‘ draft has drawn positive reviews from most in the football world, but ESPN.com’s Rich Cimini isn’t sure if they did enough to strengthen the cornerback position. Jets GM Joe Douglas waited until the fifth round to take a corner and, when they did, they tapped Virginia product Bryce Hall, is coming off of ankle surgery. As Hall heals up, the Jets may look to explore what’s left of the league’s free agent cornerbacks.
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:
  • The Jets‘ draft has drawn positive reviews from most in the football world, but ESPN.com’s Rich Cimini isn’t sure if they did enough to strengthen the cornerback position. Jets GM Joe Douglas waited until the fifth round to take a corner and, when they did, they tapped Virginia product Bryce Hall, is coming off of ankle surgery. As Hall heals up, the Jets may look to explore what’s left of the league’s free agent cornerbacks.

I'm not counting on Hall immediately.  The smart thing would be to construct the CB depth chart as if Bryce Hall won't be ready to start 2020 and may not contribute much his first year.

We ditched Darryl Roberts and Trumaine Johnson (addition by subtraction!) and added experienced guys in Pierre Desir and Quincy Wilson.  We'll have competition at the outside CB spots from Bless Austin and even Arthur Maulet.  Bryce Hall is the longterm hope to be a solid CB2, but in 2020 I think our UDFA's, particular Lamar Jackson will be pressing upward on the depth chart.

IMO, look for Desir as CB1 with Bless Austin and Quincy W competing for CB2.  Maulet, Jackson and Guidry compete for backup spots and Bryce Hall is the guy who depending on his health, could leapfrog them all at some point for that CB2 spot.

Question - Who backs up Poole as the most capable nickel/slot CB?  Austin?

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm not counting on Hall immediately.  The smart thing would be to construct the CB depth chart as if Bryce Hall won't be ready to start 2020 and may not contribute much his first year.

We ditched Darryl Roberts and Trumaine Johnson (addition by subtraction!) and added experienced guys in Pierre Desir and Quincy Wilson.  We'll have competition at the outside CB spots from Bless Austin and even Arthur Maulet.  Bryce Hall is the longterm hope to be a solid CB2, but in 2020 I think our UDFA's, particular Lamar Jackson will be pressing upward on the depth chart.

IMO, look for Desir as CB1 with Bless Austin and Quincy W competing for CB2.  Maulet, Jackson and Guidry compete for backup spots and Bryce Hall is the guy who depending on his health, could leapfrog them all at some point for that CB2 spot.

Question - Who backs up Poole as the most capable nickel/slot CB?  Austin?

Would they use Ashtyn Davis in the nickel?

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Would they use Ashtyn Davis in the nickel?

Great question.  Very possible.

I know there's been a ton of talk about him playing some flavor of CB, and its definitely possible, but I still think he's the guy that lets the Jets survive an eventual Marcus Maye departure.

Perhaps he's both?  Maybe Davis works a little in both spots this year and the Jets can later decide if they have a CB (and try to keep Maye) or if they have a FS replacement?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Great question.  Very possible.

I know there's been a ton of talk about him playing some flavor of CB, and its definitely possible, but I still think he's the guy that lets the Jets survive an eventual Marcus Maye departure.

Perhaps he's both?  Maybe Davis works a little in both spots this year and the Jets can later decide if they have a CB (and try to keep Maye) or if they have a FS replacement?

Maye can play SS. Hint hint

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If he's been getting hurt at FS I'm not quite sure I want him heading down into the box to stop the run more often.

Eh it’s football. They all get hurt. Maye is a good tackler and can lay the boom. And much better in coverage that the sanitation guy.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm not counting on Hall immediately.  The smart thing would be to construct the CB depth chart as if Bryce Hall won't be ready to start 2020 and may not contribute much his first year.

We ditched Darryl Roberts and Trumaine Johnson (addition by subtraction!) and added experienced guys in Pierre Desir and Quincy Wilson.  We'll have competition at the outside CB spots from Bless Austin and even Arthur Maulet.  Bryce Hall is the longterm hope to be a solid CB2, but in 2020 I think our UDFA's, particular Lamar Jackson will be pressing upward on the depth chart.

IMO, look for Desir as CB1 with Bless Austin and Quincy W competing for CB2.  Maulet, Jackson and Guidry compete for backup spots and Bryce Hall is the guy who depending on his health, could leapfrog them all at some point for that CB2 spot.

Question - Who backs up Poole as the most capable nickel/slot CB?  Austin?

they didn't have such great corners last season (trumaine and roberst) and have replaced them with the ex-colts, some of the players they had and drafted a couple.  they've improved this part of the team.  what is cimini expecting?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:
  • The Jets‘ draft has drawn positive reviews from most in the football world, but ESPN.com’s Rich Cimini isn’t sure if they did enough to strengthen the cornerback position. Jets GM Joe Douglas waited until the fifth round to take a corner and, when they did, they tapped Virginia product Bryce Hall, is coming off of ankle surgery. As Hall heals up, the Jets may look to explore what’s left of the league’s free agent cornerbacks.

Say what?

They also traded a 6th round pick to the Colts for a CB and signed 2 UDFA CBs. Davis can also play the position too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If he's been getting hurt at FS I'm not quite sure I want him heading down into the box to stop the run more often.

It's his natural position.  Playing him at FS was always dumb.  Time to sink or swim in a contract year, Marcus.  If he gets hurt again or sucks there, let him walk as a FA.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...