Post Draft PRO FA

If I'm Cam's agent, I'm calling Jerry Jones up on the yacht and tell him I can save him $20MM next season and beyond.  $15M for 2020 with a team optin for 2021 at $25MM.  Compared to what Dak wants, that's a bargain bin contract and Cam would probably be just as good, if not better.

• WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If I'm Cam's agent, I'm calling Jerry Jones up on the yacht and tell him I can save him $20MM next season and beyond.  $15M for 2020 with a team optin for 2021 at $25MM.  Compared to what Dak wants, that's a bargain bin contract and Cam would probably be just as good, if not better.

Jerry Jones didn't just pay $20M per to Amari Cooper and draft Lamb in the 1st round just to hand the keys of the franchise to a rich man's Josh Allen who will spend at least half the season on IR.  The dude is toast.  

Say what you will about Dak but he's firmly in the franchise QB camp, and at least gives them a chance to make deep playoff runs.  Not a top 5 QB but certainly in the Top 12.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jerry Jones didn't just pay $20M per to Amari Cooper and draft Lamb in the 1st round just to hand the keys of the franchise to a rich man's Josh Allen who will spend at least half the season on IR.  The dude is toast.  

Say what you will about Dak but he's firmly in the franchise QB camp, and at least gives them a chance to make deep playoff runs.  Not a top 5 QB but certainly in the Top 12.

But do you pay a top-12 QB like a top-3 QB?  Teams often have to, but this one just feels different.  I could be wrong, but I just see the words 'elite above average' written under Dak's name.  If Jerry is paying him $35MM/year and KC is paying Mahomes $40MM/year, Jerry is getting ripped off badly.  I may be missing something with Dak, but I just don't think he's the kind of QB that carries the team on a bad day, which is exactly what they need to avoid more of those 12-10 (NO), 13-9 (NE) and 17-9 (PHI) losses this year.   

Basically, he feels like another Jimmy G. only JG is getting paid $27.5M/year and Dak wants a lot more.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

But do you pay a top-12 QB like a top-3 QB?  Teams often have to, but this one just feels different.  I could be wrong, but I just see the words 'elite above average' written under Dak's name.  If Jerry is paying him $35MM/year and KC is paying Mahomes $40MM/year, Jerry is getting ripped off badly.  I may be missing something with Dak, but I just don't think he's the kind of QB that carries the team on a bad day, which is exactly what they need to avoid more of those 12-10 (NO), 13-9 (NE) and 17-9 (PHI) losses this year.

What's the alternative?  They're not going to be picking in the top 10 any time soon.  

And no, a guy like Cam isn't an alternative.  He's toast.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

What's the alternative?  They're not going to be picking in the top 10 any time soon.  

Rivers, Brady, Winston or Newton felt like their chance to move on while keeping the window open.  Now only Newton is left.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Rivers, Brady, Winston or Newton felt like their chance to move on while keeping the window open.  Now only Newton is left.

None of those give the Cowboys a better chance to win now than Dak, IMO.  Like I said, Dak is a top 12 QB.  None of those guys you listed are in that category at this stage in their careers. 

And who would they be saving that money for?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

they didn't have such great corners last season (trumaine and roberst) and have replaced them with the ex-colts, some of the players they had and drafted a couple.  they've improved this part of the team.  what is cimini expecting?

Revis and Cromartie. :P

I think next year might be when we target CB1 early in the Draft (Rounds 1 or 2).  If not for our starvation at OT and WR, I could have seen the Jets going CB early this year.  Jaylon Johnson and Trevon Diggs were both sitting there at #48.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's his natural position.  Playing him at FS was always dumb.  Time to sink or swim in a contract year, Marcus.  If he gets hurt again or sucks there, let him walk as a FA.  

I think he’s done here, why spend that pick on Davis? - They’re not paying Maye.
He was 24 in his rookie year so he’s an older 2nd contract player.

They are paying one Safety and that’s Adam’s. Davis is our new Free Safety. 

2 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I think he’s done here, why spend that pick on Davis? - They’re not paying Maye.

Until Adams signs I wouldn’t say he’s done and even then he’s definitely going to have a season to prove himself.

I really like Maye. Not sure why so many people want to see him gone.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Until Adams signs I wouldn’t say he’s done and even then he’s definitely going to have a season to prove himself.

Maye is a good player, one of our rare 2nd round finds. Don’t get the hate either. Friendly reminder he played all 16 games last year as well as his rookie year,  people tend to say he’s always hurt but he proved to me after last year he can play a full season. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

It's a weird need to find a player to hate on.  It didn't work with Adams so I guess we're moving on to Maye?  Ever since the banner helped get Idzik fired, some Jet fans feel empowered to create change by sheer force of will.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Revis and Cromartie. :P

I think next year might be when we target CB1 early in the Draft (Rounds 1 or 2).  If not for our starvation at OT and WR, I could have seen the Jets going CB early this year.  Jaylon Johnson and Trevon Diggs were both sitting there at #48.

maybe he's thinking espn is relevant.  imo it's too soon to think about where the emphasis should be next draft.  i think it all depends on how this group comes together.  it would be great if fant (or edoga) and becton. can be above average tackles and mcovern can handle the center spot.  i'm guessing lewis will be good at one guard spot and winters or one of the new guys at the other one.  as for the corners, they have enough b and c players.  if the dline gets pressure then maybe that's all they'll need.  and if this group makes the playoffs then douglas can start tweaking the skill players and go after a top receiver or even rb.

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Of course he'll get paid, but the franchise tag for a S is only $11M.  Heck for that they can franchise him twice.

9 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Of course he'll get paid, but the franchise tag for a S is only $11M.  Heck for that they can franchise him twice.

Yep. Of course, that means he holds out for most of the year, but in that case he's only earning 25M or so over the next 4 years. If he turns down an extension at, say 15M per in new money over those franchise years and beyond, he's costing himself 21M, and there's no way to make up that lost money in a new deal. If he plays out those years, he only costs himself 4M or so (he can definitely make that up) but takes on a huge risk. 

Bottom line, the Jets have terrific leverage to sign Jamal to a reasonable extension so long as they include significant guarantees

2 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Yep. Of course, that means he holds out for most of the year, but in that case he's only earning 25M or so over the next 4 years. If he turns down an extension at, say 15M per in new money over those franchise years and beyond, he's costing himself 21M, and there's no way to make up that lost money in a new deal. If he plays out those years, he only costs himself 4M or so (he can definitely make that up) but takes on a huge risk. 

Bottom line, the Jets have terrific leverage to sign Jamal to a reasonable extension so long as they include significant guarantees

Doubt he'll be holding out with the penalties of the new CBA.  I see a lot of angry tweeting in Jamal's future. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks to this transaction, Golden will only be eligible to play for the Giants if he remains unsigned past July 22nd (or the first day of training camp, whichever is later). Of course, this means that the 29-year-old still has almost three months to negotiate a contract with a new team, and he will still count towards the 2021 compensatory pick formula.

The former second-rounder showed flashes during his four seasons in Arizona, including a 12.5-sack campaign back in 2016. He caught on with the Giants last offseason, inking a one-year, $3.75MM deal. He proceeded to have one of the best seasons of his career, as he compiled 72 tackles and 10 sacks in a career-high 16 starts.

We heard earlier this month that Golden was unlikely to return to the Giants, with sources indicating the pass rusher was seeking “too much money.”

As part of this year’s International Player Pathway program, each team in the NFC East will be allowed to carry an extra, international player on their practice squad. The four organizations quickly filled these spots (via David Helman)

• Dallas Cowboys: OT Isaac Alarcon (Mexico)
  • New York Giants: RB Sandro Platzgummer (Austria)
  • Philadelphia Eagles: DE Matt Leo (Australia)
  • Washington Redskins: DE David Bada (Germany)

3 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Thanks to this transaction, Golden will only be eligible to play for the Giants if he remains unsigned past July 22nd (or the first day of training camp, whichever is later). Of course, this means that the 29-year-old still has almost three months to negotiate a contract with a new team, and he will still count towards the 2021 compensatory pick formula.

The former second-rounder showed flashes during his four seasons in Arizona, including a 12.5-sack campaign back in 2016. He caught on with the Giants last offseason, inking a one-year, $3.75MM deal. He proceeded to have one of the best seasons of his career, as he compiled 72 tackles and 10 sacks in a career-high 16 starts.

We heard earlier this month that Golden was unlikely to return to the Giants, with sources indicating the pass rusher was seeking “too much money.”

I wonder what the compensation would be for his services? Similar to the Franchise tag?