Coverage snaps per interception for Jamal and McDougald

AFJF

Not saying we should, but even if we trade Maye now and roll with Davis at fs and McDougald at ss, wouldnt we better in coverage now at the safety spot than last season? They probably wouldn’t be as good vs the run but not sure that’s gonna matter as much in an open nfl with no fans in the seats. 

1FBB8705-CD6B-4E45-8762-7EC0016DE2FE.png

9 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Seriously you started the thread. What int/coverage average did McD have his first three years. Adams played three years so far. McD also played FS as well as SS. 

Yes, I started a thread that discussed two different players.  You asked what was "his average" without specifying who.

Do you want first three years in the league, to include 2013 when he was a rookie and played zero snaps on defense, meaning we're only looking at years 2 and 3 for coverage?  If we do that, he averaged one interception for every 251 coverage snaps to Jamal's 844.

If we skip his rookie year and look at his first three seasons in which he saw action on defense, he averaged an interception every 272 coverage snaps to Jamal's 844.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yes, I started a thread that discussed two different players.  You asked what was "his average" without specifying who.

Do you want first three years in the league, to include 2013 when he was a rookie and played zero snaps on defense, meaning we're only looking at years 2 and 3 for coverage?  If we do that, he averaged one interception for every 251 coverage snaps to Jamal's 844.

If we skip his rookie year and look at his first three seasons in which he saw action on defense, he averaged an interception every 272 coverage snaps to Jamal's 844.

Very nice. What if you skip Adams rookie year. 

5 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Very nice. What if you skip Adams rookie year. 

What would be the rationale in doing that?  I showed you with and without the guy's rookie year and he's far better than Jamal either way.  Jamal played defense as a rookie.  McDougald didn't.  

But since you asked, Jamal averages an interception every 586 coverage snaps if we skip his rookie year.

I'm sure there's some way we can twist the numbers so Jamal doesn't look so bad.  Maybe if we only look at interceptions in garbage time against backup quarterbacks?  I think Jamal has him beat there.

Edited by AFJF
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AFJF said:

What would be the rationale in doing that?  I showed you with and without the guy's rookie year and he's far better than Jamal either way.  Jamal played defense as a rookie.  McDougald didn't.  

But since you asked, Jamal averages an interception every 586 coverage snaps if we skip his rookie year.

I'm sure there's some way we can twist the numbers so Jamal doesn't look so bad.  Maybe if we only look at interceptions in garbage time against backup quarterbacks?  I think Jamal has him beat there.

Very nice. Ok what if you take out when McD played FS instead of SS the 2nd and 3rd year? Then compared their numbers. 

Look.... so it's only 2 INT's over 3 years for this "generationally" overrated defensive back.  Doesn't matter that they were against back ups.  Doesn't matter they both happened in garbage time.  Why? 

Because we just got a 1st round pick for each of those INTs.  Nice!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Very nice. Ok what if you take out when McD played FS instead of SS the 2nd and 3rd year? Then compared their numbers. 

Not interested in where they started the play.  These are coverage snaps.  Both guys played multiple positions.  One guy needs almost 1,000 tries to get a pick.  The other dude needs 300.

1 minute ago, Titan24 said:

Glen......the jets got a nice haul.... Mr McDougald can’t tie Jamal Adams shoes..

Overall?  Certainly not.  In coverage?  He has made more plays on the ball than Jamal.  

That and all the picks?  Heist.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

Glen......the jets got a nice haul.... Mr McDougald can’t tie Jamal Adams shoes..

11 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

This is absurd. I’m happy with the trade but these two players should not be in the same sentence. One is on a Hall of Fame trajectory and one was a candidate to be outright cut. 

Yet the numbers suggest they're not that far off from each other.  Weird how that works, huh?

Jamal Adams isn't on a HOF track.  He's simply the most overhyped and overrated player in the NFL.  In about 4-5 years  he's going to be an afterthought.

Jamal Adams, 2019 stats (his best season):

• 61 Solo Tackles
  • 1 INT
  • 7 Pass Deflections
  • 6.5 Sacks
  • 2 Forced Fumbles
  • 1 Fumble Recovery

Bradley McDougald, 2018-19 averages:

• 59.0 Solo Tackles
  • 2.5 INTs
  • 7.5 Pass Deflections
  • 0.25 Sacks
  • 2.0 Forced Fumbles
  • 1.0 Fumble Recoveries

Keep in mind that Jamal Adams was sent on a blitz 90 times last season, 10th most of any defensive player in the NFL.

McDougald was sent on a blitz a total of 34 times over the last 2 seasons (17.0 per season).

Hence the disparity in the Sack numbers.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

So we basically established that a FS gets more INTs then a box SS. 

No.  What we eastablished is that when asked to drop back in to coverage, one player is far less productive than another.  What you're doing is trying to find a way to make that reality go away.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

So we basically established that a FS gets more INTs then a box SS. 

We can also establish that McDougald can do just about everything Jamal does. 

The only reason Jamal got sacks/TFLs and McDougald doesn't is Jamal was sent on a blitz 90x last year, whereas McDougald blitzes about 15-20 times a season.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

This is absurd. I’m happy with the trade but these two players should not be in the same sentence. One is on a Hall of Fame trajectory and one was a candidate to be outright cut. 

One was an all pro twice in his first 3 seasons on a losing team the other zero pro bowls in 8 seasons even playing on a winning team.  Obviously the second player is better because some Jet fans are mad at him. Come on now use your head. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, New York Mick said:

BC734EB7-C689-42FA-A157-E78279C86E90.gif

• 61 Solo Tackles
  • 1 INT
  • 7 Pass Deflections
  • 6.5 Sacks
  • 2 Forced Fumbles
  • 1 Fumble Recovery

• 59.0 Solo Tackles
  • 2.5 INTs
  • 7.5 Pass Deflections
  • 0.25 Sacks
  • 2.0 Forced Fumbles
  • 1.0 Fumble Recoveries
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

• 61 Solo Tackles
  • 1 INT
  • 7 Pass Deflections
  • 6.5 Sacks
  • 2 Forced Fumbles
  • 1 Fumble Recovery

• 59.0 Solo Tackles
  • 2.5 INTs
  • 7.5 Pass Deflections
  • 0.25 Sacks
  • 2.0 Forced Fumbles
  • 1.0 Fumble Recoveries

Why are you posting 2019 for Adams and 18/19 for McD? 

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Why are you posting 2019 for Adams and 18/19 for McD? 

Because 2019 was Adams' best season (and only season under the current regime), while McDougald's numbers were about the same between 2018-19, demonstrating his consistency.

Want me to include Jamal's 2018 under Bowles/Kacy Rodgers as well?  It'll make Adams look worse overall, but just say the word.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because 2019 was Adams' best season (and only season under the current regime), while McDougald's numbers were about the same between 2018-19, demonstrating his consistency.

Want me to include Jamal's 2018 under Bowles/Kacy Rodgers as well?  It'll make Adams look worse overall, but just say the word.

It’s not about making one look good and not the other it’s about posting accurate comparisons. Sacks, QB pressures, tackles, Ints, TDs, TFL etc in the same time frame not combined two years for one to give him better stats and only one season for the other. 

And statistically Adams was better in 2018 in a lot of things. 

Just now, New York Mick said:

It’s not about making one look good and not the other it’s about posting accurate comparisons. Sacks, QB pressures, tackles, Ints, TFL etc in the same time frame not combined two years for one to give him better stats and only one season for the other. 

It doesn't give McDougald better stats to combine 2018-19.  Like I said his performance was about the same in both.  Here's his 2019 numbers:

• 52 Solo Tackles
  • 2 INTs
  • 6 Pass Deflections
  • 0.5 Sacks
  • 1 FF
  • 1 FR

See?  Not much difference.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It doesn't give McDougald better stats to combine 2018-19.  Like I said his performance was about the same in both.  Here's his 2019 numbers:

• 52 Solo Tackles
  • 2 INTs
  • 6 Pass Deflections
  • 0.5 Sacks
  • 1 FF
  • 1 FR

See?  Not much difference.

Combined 2018 and 2019 for both including all the stats like TDs and QB pressures then post them. Adams is obviously a better player. He’s been to a pro bowler/all pro 2/1 in 3 years and is on every list of top safeties and defensive players and nobody here even knew who McD was until today. 

The trade was great for the Jets there’s zero reason to make up stuff or twist things to make yourselves feel better. 

49 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Combined 2018 and 2019 for both including all the stats like TDs and QB pressures then post them. Adams is obviously a better player. He’s been to a pro bowler/all pro 2/1 in 3 years and is on every list of top safeties and defensive players and nobody here even knew who McD was until today. 

The trade was great for the Jets there’s zero reason to make up stuff or twist things to make yourselves feel better. 

Never said Adams isn't a better player.  Only that McDougald can do about 80 % of what Adams does at a fraction of the cost.  Much like a lot of guys we could replace him with.  Like current free agent Eric Reid.  Had we not gotten McDougald in the deal we could have just signed Reid.

I don't have to do anything to make myself feel better.  I feel great.