SI: The Machinery Is in Motion to Postpone the 2020 College Football Season

Lith

43 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Do you have stats saying hospitals have not been at or above in patient capacity

2D0F78B1-6D95-42FE-BF9A-638901E90339.jpeg

The screen cap says 16% of ICU beds open, they may run at that level normally (hospitals don't have a habit of having massive amounts of unused beds)

It says 7 hospitals have full ICU, out of 187 total. That is what 4%. I don't think that is aptly described as " a major problem that is completely overwhelming our hospitals"

And Georgia seems to be declining as well. Amazing that some people don't see this as good news

https://www.ajc.com/news/coronavirus-georgia-covid-dashboard/jvoLBozRtBSVSNQDDAuZxH/

image.png.220d7434c713d41a278a6bb06354d4fc.png

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Honestly, how can you possibly look at the deaths per week on the CDC website and come to a conclusion that deaths are rising relative to any period of time? 

I guess the same way you callously suggested that the majority of football players do not care about school-- Not having proper data to make an informed answer.

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The CDC is not proper data? Sounds like you are trying to run away from my question. 

The very link that you provided says the following-How can anyone make an informed opinion? Geez

NOTE: Number of deaths reported in this table are the total number of deaths received and coded as of the date of analysis and do not represent all deaths that occurred in that period. Counts of deaths occurring before or after the reporting period are not included in the table. The United States population, based on 2018 postcensal estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau, is 327,167,434.

*Data during this period are incomplete because of the lag in time between when the death occurred and when the death certificate is completed, submitted to NCHS and processed for reporting purposes. This delay can range from 1 week to 8 weeks or more, depending on the jurisdiction and cause of death.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The very link that you provided says the following-How can anyone make an informed opinion? Geez

NOTE: Number of deaths reported in this table are the total number of deaths received and coded as of the date of analysis and do not represent all deaths that occurred in that period. Counts of deaths occurring before or after the reporting period are not included in the table. The United States population, based on 2018 postcensal estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau, is 327,167,434.

*Data during this period are incomplete because of the lag in time between when the death occurred and when the death certificate is completed, submitted to NCHS and processed for reporting purposes. This delay can range from 1 week to 8 weeks or more, depending on the jurisdiction and cause of death.

There were tens of thousands of deaths in May. 

There are about 3-5k deaths the last 2 months. 

Again, explain to me how deaths are rising? 

Are you seriously suggesting that the 4k deaths reported for the week of July 4th will suddenly turn into 10k deaths? The lag usually means a few deaths, not enough to change the obvious trend. 

Either way, I am done with this discussion because you are clearly one of those people that want Covid to be worse than it actually is (PS I am a democrat and hate trump, but i am not delusional)

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

There were tens of thousands of deaths in May. 

There are about 3-5k deaths the last 2 months. 

Again, explain to me how deaths are rising? 

Are you seriously suggesting that the 4k deaths reported for the week of July 4th will suddenly turn into 10k deaths? The lag usually means a few deaths, not enough to change the obvious trend. 

Either way, I am done with this discussion because you are clearly one of those people that want Covid to be worse than it actually is (PS I am a democrat and hate trump, but i am not delusional)

You: Are deaths rising?

Me: Relative to what period?

You: How can you say deaths are rising?

Me: The data that you provided states that the numbers are neither accurate, and that most recent cases lag in reporting 1-8 weeks. How can we make an informed answer based on that?

You: You clearly want Covid to be worse than it is.

LOL. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/8/2020 at 4:09 PM, Trolly McTrollface said:

No, that the goal is to keep them eligible.

I’m going to go down a slippery slope here, but wtf not...

Just look at a guy we had hear on the Jets up until this offseason. I was a big fan of Robby Anderson, but you tell me how he stayed in school as long as he did?

Did you see the Cam Newton tweet the other day? Until I did, I never knew a quadruple negative was a thing.

I could go on, but please, don’t make me do it.

Don’t act like you don’t know there are kids getting into these schools unable to read beyond a 7th grade level, and play there for 3-4 years without that improving. Or acting like you haven’t cringed listening to kids, or even professional athletes being interviewed.

Just because someone writes a certain way on Twitter (Robby) or speaks a certain way (Newton), doesn't mean they can't communicate in standard English when necessary. Same thing with certain folks from Appalachia in the South - they may as well be speaking Greek. It's patois, slang. 

Nor does it mean a good number of these people aren't fairly well educated, if not PhDs.

Also, texting/Twitter/social media have created an almost entirely new language. How someone Tweets usually corresponds very little to how they communicate in other settings.

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Correct. My son will be on campus (so he can work out with his team). He will have 5 classes, but 4 of them will be handled entirely virtual.

This is pretty much the norm, even in schools handling things more strictly. Classes that require lab work are carrying on in some sort of amended way, and courses that can be conducted online (i.e. most social science courses, some stats/math...etc). The thing I would clarify on is the generalities being pushed on synchronous courses. It is true that most professors are being given the choice of how they'd like to teach their classes, but that's true of mostly any semester even when a pandemic isn't happening. However, every school is different. Institutions that have higher numbers of low-income and disabled student populations, as well as higher percentages of students that work full-time, are pushing their professors to enable that their courses be completed entirely asynchronous if needs be. We are still allowed to hold synchronous activities, but we have been strongly advised not to make them required, and if they are, alternative assignments for disadvantaged students should be made available. 

I'd also like to make a quick point to the conspiracy theorists that troll some of these threads when college education pops up. Professors want to be back in the classroom. Full stop. Online teaching is beyond exhausting, way more work, and robs you of the most fulfilling parts of your day. Nobody wants to be doing this sh*t. Administration wants students and faculty back in the classroom as well. Students want back in the classroom. Everyone wants back in. We are all on the same page and want isn't the issue here. The sooner the general public can start having reasonable discussions about things the better.

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This is pretty much the norm, even in schools handling things more strictly. Classes that require lab work are carrying on in some sort of amended way, and courses that can be conducted online (i.e. most social science courses, some stats/math...etc). The thing I would clarify on is the generalities being pushed on synchronous courses. It is true that most professors are being given the choice of how they'd like to teach their classes, but that's true of mostly any semester even when a pandemic isn't happening. However, every school is different. Institutions that have higher numbers of low-income and disabled student populations, as well as higher percentages of students that work full-time, are pushing their professors to enable that their courses be completed entirely asynchronous if needs be. We are still allowed to hold synchronous activities, but we have been strongly advised not to make them required, and if they are, alternative assignments for disadvantaged students should be made available. 

I'd also like to make a quick point to the conspiracy theorists that troll some of these threads when college education pops up. Professors want to be back in the classroom. Full stop. Online teaching is beyond exhausting, way more work, and robs you of the most fulfilling parts of your day. Nobody wants to be doing this sh*t. Administration wants students and faculty back in the classroom as well. Students want back in the classroom. Everyone wants back in. We are all on the same page and want isn't the issue here. The sooner the general public can start having reasonable discussions about things the better.

Believe everything you say here, especially about professors wanting in person in a smart way. When my son switched mid-semester, his professors were beyond frustrated. And this is at a STEM school.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Believe everything you say here, especially about professors wanting in person in a smart way. When my son switched mid-semester, his professors were beyond frustrated. And this is at a STEM school.

I'm sure that trickles down to his experience and success as well. The only thing I can say is this, and I have told friends of mine that have kids in K-12 the same thing: Try not to judge online learning at your school too harshly from the Spring. Everything was so last minute, there was literally no guidance given at all from up above until it was all too late and everyone was scrambling. More importantly the vast majority of teachers out there at all levels had no training or experience in teaching online; not only is it a different world of instruction but now you have a ton of new software to learn. Nobody was prepared for anything and by the time some of us got the hang of it the school year was over. I can also say that a hell of a lot of teachers gave up their summers this year, sometimes without pay, to ensure they are better trained and prepared for the fall. I'm glad to hear he's sticking with it. I think we'll all be back in the Spring, but who knows.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, CTM said:

The screen cap says 16% of ICU beds open, they may run at that level normally (hospitals don't have a habit of having massive amounts of unused beds)

It says 7 hospitals have full ICU, out of 187 total. That is what 4%. I don't think that is aptly described as " a major problem that is completely overwhelming our hospitals"

And Georgia seems to be declining as well. Amazing that some people don't see this as good news

https://www.ajc.com/news/coronavirus-georgia-covid-dashboard/jvoLBozRtBSVSNQDDAuZxH/

image.png.220d7434c713d41a278a6bb06354d4fc.png

16% of ICU beds open means 84% are occupied by mostly people with coronavirus.  Reopen fully and suddenly those hospitals can’t accept any new coronavirus patients let alone patients in general

now go get another graph from poopchute.com

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

16% of ICU beds open means 84% are occupied by mostly people with coronavirus.  Reopen fully and suddenly those hospitals can’t accept any new coronavirus patients let alone patients in general

now go get another graph from poopchute.com

The graph above indicated that 35% were occupied by COVID, not sure how that is "mostly"

What makes you so sure 84% is so concerning?

I distinctly remember when COVID started most of those dire every hospital in the country will be overrun my May threads indicated something like 70% utilization normally. Intuitively that makes sense as hospitals would prefer to utilize their space as productively as possible, and it's a lot more productive to put a new MRI machine in than it is to have 70% of your beds empty. Also a ton of concerning stats about low hospitals / population ratios in US. All of which would suggest that hospitals normally run at near capacity.

Further, the people running non profit hospitals, who would stand to gain by getting federal and neighboring states to pitch in, didn't seem all that concerned in early July

I think the only poopchute here is your mouth

https://www.woodlandsonline.com/npps/story.cfm?nppage=67046

I guess this is fake news and a conspiracy too huh? Trump jr

Dr. Marc Boom with Houston Methodist

“What you’ve been hearing is a report that we are at 97 percent or so capacity across the Texas medical center. At Houston Methodist, we’re somewhere in the low 90s right now in terms of capacity of ICU beds, but let me put that in perspective … June 25 2019, exactly one year ago … It was at 95 percent. We are highly experienced at utilizing our ICU beds for the sickest of the sick patients day in day out … and it is completely normal for us to have ICU capacities that run in the 80s and 90s. That’s how all of us operate hospitals, and how all hospitals operate.”

Mark A. Wallace with Texas Children’s Hospital

Texas Children’s Hospital is the largest children’s hospital in the country. “This morning’s census is down because we really just started building back up our elective procedures and admissions …[it’s] really high for a children’s hospital, but it’s low for Texas Children’s Hospital ... our census this morning is 581 patients. That’s a 68 percent occupancy. Typically Children’s Texas Hospital this time of year without the pandemic, our census would be running much much closer to 700, 725, maybe even 750, so much closer to 90 or 95 percent.”

“One day last November, our census hit 823 in one single day and our employees and our medical staff managed that and it really wasn’t a problem or an issue … so we know that we can flex up to 823 should that be necessary.”

“Of our 859 operational beds, 355 of them are ICU and NICU beds … [today] we have 43 empty vacant ICU beds. That’s a 74 percent occupancy.”

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I could be wrong but wasnt the goal to flatten the numbers so hospitals didnt become overrun? I check the Florida hospital numbers a few times a week and they've been doing just that, even during the peak/spike a few weeks ago. What exactly is going on here? Seems odd that people are still pushing that the virus right now is piling up bodies in the sunbelt states. It's just not even remotely accurate.

The major hospitals ICU capacity are looking good:

https://bi.ahca.myflorida.com/t/ABICC/views/Public/ICUBedsCounty?%3AshowAppBanner=false&%3Adisplay_count=n&%3AshowVizHome=n&%3Aorigin=viz_share_link&%3AisGuestRedirectFromVizportal=y&%3Aembed=y

From 2 weeks ago:

South Florida hospitals in fierce fight to find workers to treat COVID patients
By Cindy Krischer Goodman
South Florida Sun Sentinel |
Jul 25, 2020 at 10:00 AM

South Florida hospitals are in full recruiting mode, desperate to keep their staff levels up during the pandemic.

The desperation is not only about beds filling up as COVID patients arrive in record numbers, but also about finding enough experienced workers to attend to the critically ill patients.

Competing with each other and with the state, hospitals are luring nurses from as far away as Alaska with hazard pay, and free lodging and meals. The mission for these medical professionals is vital: relieve burned-out hospital staff, provide needy coronavirus patients with round-the-clock attention, and fill in for workers exposed to the virus who have to quarantine at home.

“We are learning and adapting, but that doesn’t mean our staffing need isn’t huge,” said Maggie Hansen, Senior Vice President and Chief Nursing Executive for Memorial Healthcare System.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-covid-hospitals-scramble-20200725-pekhrhopdvdijcf7jvpdtu7rqq-story.html

17 hours ago, Matt39 said:

What exactly is going on here? Seems odd that people are still pushing that the virus right now is piling up bodies in the sunbelt states. It's just not even remotely accurate.

From 2 weeks ago.  Looks like they're just shifting the problem to the funeral homes.  You have to admire it when state government gets creative like this.

Florida neighborhood upset after funeral home brings in refrigerated truck to store COVID-19 corpses
Coronavirus

by: CNN Newsource
Posted: Jul 27, 2020 / 09:11 PM EDT    / Updated: Jul 27, 2020 / 09:11 PM EDT    

HIALEAH, Fla. (CNN Newsource) – A disturbing situation has been unfolding in Hialeah, Florida after a funeral home began running out of space.

The facility has become so overwhelmed with COVID-19 victims it has begun using a refrigerated truck. The problem with the temporary morgue is that it is located right behind residential homes.

“I’m not okay and we’re going to keep fighting because that needs to go away,” said Liliana Acosta, who lives next to the Memorial Plan San Jose Funeral Home.

Acosta has owned her home in Hialeah for more than 20 years.

Her fence backs up to the funeral home and she said she’s never had an issue with them. That was, until a few days ago when the funeral home brought in a refrigerated truck and parked it just inches from her back door.

“It’s what, two feet maybe? Less?” she said. “They told us that they have COVID bodies that were coming in and they were storing them in there because they’re at full capacity inside.

On Sunday, Acosta and her neighbors held a protest about the truck, saying they now deal with a nasty smell, constant noise from a generator and they worry they’re potentially being exposed to the virus.

But Hialeah Mayor Carlos Hernandez said the truck doesn’t pose a health risk, and the funeral home has complied with all city and health department rules.

“Right now, we’re seeing it, not only from coronavirus but people are dying from other things, and these are people’s parents, somebody’s children, somebody’s grandparents, so we have to respect those people and we have to work through this,” said Mayor Hernandez.

Memorial Plan San Jose released a statement on Monday:

“Out of an abundance of understanding and compassion for our neighbors, we have worked with the Mayor and other officials to shift the location of our special care facility away from our neighbors to the other side of our property.”

According to the funeral home, that refrigerated truck will be moved to another part of the property sometime in the next two days.

https://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/florida-neighborhood-upset-after-funeral-home-brings-in-refrigerated-truck-to-store-covid-19-corpses/

• Upvote 1