SI: The Machinery Is in Motion to Postpone the 2020 College Football Season

Lith

Just now, section314 said:

And would have won a few games, too. Pikiel is the best hire RU has made in 30 years.

Why not do a bubble for the ncaa tournament?  It would have taken less time than the stupid nba restart, been way more compelling and made way more money

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Why not do a bubble for the ncaa tournament?  It would have taken less time than the stupid nba restart, been way more compelling and made way more money

If they ever considered that, something like this, maybe? Have 4 bubble sites, with 16 teams in each, and play down to one winner in each. Then pick a fifth, different site, for final 4.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

If they ever considered that, something like this, maybe? Have 4 bubble sites, with 16 teams in each, and play down to one winner in each. Then pick a fifth, different site, for final 4.

And it would only have taken 2 weeks versus the 2+ months the nba nonsense is taking

• Upvote 1

Feel worse about this than the nfl. Kids should be able to play, the ifr for people unde 60 is equiviliant to the flu. Why rob kids of the experiance when you have manageable options in terms of containing. My kids band just got cancelled after they won states last year and she was going to be captain. I was completely comfortable sending her and parent or kids who weren't could opt out

• Thumb Down 2

Just now, CTM said:

Feel worse about this than the nfl. Kids should be able to play, the ifr for people unde 60 is equiviliant to the flu. Why rob kids of the experiance when you have manageable options in terms of containing. My kids band just got cancelled after they won states last year and she was going to be captain. I was completely comfortable sending her.

My son has been playing in a collegiate baseball summer league in NJ for the past 6 weeks. One team had 1 kid test positive, they quarantined that team for 10 days, and the league went on.

Hard to say what is right and what is wrong.

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

They don't care. Colleges can cut programs at will. Title IX has to do with women's sports, and that makes cutting some of their sports more tricky. But some schools already have.

Well if you cut Lacrosse, soccer and figure skating sports that most colleges lose money with get ready for the lawsuits that will have merit

And with the economy being as horrific as ever female student athletes will be even more reliant on their scholarships than ever

35 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

My son has been playing in a collegiate baseball summer league in NJ for the past 6 weeks. One team had 1 kid test positive, they quarantined that team for 10 days, and the league went on.

Hard to say what is right and what is wrong.

My nephew has as well, no issue yet. People are making decisions based on over stated ideas of risk. Tx, az and fl all seem to be past the peak with no significant alteration of strategy. ( and far less deaths than ny,nj,ma,ct) HI, Japan, Phillipines, etc all having spikes despite lockdowns. Ny/nj hit deaths peak 6 weeks post lockdown. With avg time from infection to death of 3 weeks, suggests peak transmission was post lock down?

Maybe this is just going  to spread through populations, influenced by seasonality, herd immunity levels and compliance and all we are doing is longating it. Nothing short of 100% global compliance of complete household sequestering for 4 weeks will stop it, vaccine may help but may not and who knows when it arrives 

This is clearly incredibly deadly for the elderly and that where our interdiction efforts might be more productive.

Also I think crowds in close quarters, particularly indoors are a clear issue but why not let them play in front of limited crowds?

To his credit Cuomo, who I am not a fan of, just authorized openning of  schools 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Well if you cut Lacrosse, soccer and figure skating sports that most colleges lose money with get ready for the lawsuits that will have merit

And with the economy being as horrific as ever female student athletes will be even more reliant on their scholarships than ever

Why would there be a lawsuit for cutting Lacrosse?  I have never heard of a school having figure skating.  Are you talking Men's or Women's soccer?

16 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

From what I'm getting out here in Buffalo, where U of Buffalo is in the MAC, the cancellation of non conference games by the power 5  was a killer. UB had both Ohio St. and Kansas State on there schedule . When the power 5 cancelled those games there went millions of $$ in revenue for UB. Schools like UB can not support football with just MAC games. UB has a fairly small stadium yet it's only about 2/5 full for it's home games. 

Yep.  I'm really nervous that this may be the end of modern college football as we were used to it.  I'm afraid going forward it will be Power 5(and I think even a handful of power 5 schools might be in jeopardy) and everyone else is essentially like what FCS schools are now.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Yep.  I'm really nervous that this may be the end of modern college football as we were used to it.  I'm afraid going forward it will be Power 5(and I think even a handful of power 5 schools might be in jeopardy) and everyone else is essentially like what FCS schools are now.

I fear that you are correct. And while they are at it, it is probably time to dissolve the NCAA. It really does not have a lot of use, other than ruling in discriminatory fashion and having no clue as to what is going on.

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Big Ten and Big East have already started talking about this.  I think hoops will happen in some form.  A lot less bodies to account for per team.

19 hours ago, y2k8 said:

You'd have a couple of hundred players sit out the season.  Not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

True and to bring this thread back to its original purpose I think much of the negativity about this college football season comes from the schools that aren't equipped to make it work or schools that are being pressured to not play.

UCONN, MAC schools had little chance to begin with. Even some crappy schools in major conferences may opt out. Maybe even a couple of more liberal schools out west may be pressured to cancel. 

If you're the president of UCLA and you're getting pressure to not play this year from the board and from some players it's in your interest to "leak" a story that the whole NCAA season will be cancelled. You don't want to be the one major school to opt out and would prefer the whole thing gets shutdown.

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Big Ten and Big East have already started talking about this.  I think hoops will happen in some form.  A lot less bodies to account for per team.

Some of the smaller conferences are pushing back on the proposal (i.e. Big West). The concern being that at-large bids are basically the lifeblood of mid-major teams that don't win their conferences. I have a feeling that Pitino's proposal and a tourney bubble is going to happen, but there will be some negotiations that take place to ensure fairness for the mid-majors (i.e. value indices...etc). That new NET system they were supposed to start this year might have to get delayed.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If you're the president of UCLA and you're getting pressure to not play this year from the board and from some players it's in your interest to "leak" a story that the whole NCAA season will be cancelled. You don't want to be the one major school to opt out and would prefer the whole thing gets shutdown.

I'm not sure it's in the hands of a university president at this point. It is becoming increasingly difficult to see how California schools can make it happen with the new reopening guidelines that the state and OSHA released this week. Maybe they find a way around it but I doubt it. There are some hellish budget catastrophes happening at UC and CSU campuses this school year, (as well as some of the richer private schools), and the risk of opening themselves up for employee or student lawsuits that come if the state guidelines are not met are costly to say the least; factor that in against the lawsuits we are all still facing from the Spring closures. Maybe they find a way around it but I doubt it. Every state in the country is different right now but so far as California goes it does not look good for any fall sports coming from us. That said I sincerely hope they find a way, I have students that play just about every damn thing and while none are in danger of losing their scholarships, not being able to play is definitely affecting their psyche.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm not sure it's in the hands of a university president at this point. It is becoming increasingly difficult to see how California schools can make it happen with the new reopening guidelines that the state and OSHA released this week. Maybe they find a way around it but I doubt it. There are some hellish budget catastrophes happening at UC and CSU campuses this school year, (as well as some of the richer private schools), and the risk of opening themselves up for employee or student lawsuits that come if the state guidelines are not met are costly to say the least; factor that in against the lawsuits we are all still facing from the Spring closures. Maybe they find a way around it but I doubt it. Every state in the country is different right now but so far as California goes it does not look good for any fall sports coming from us. That said I sincerely hope they find a way, I have students that play just about every damn thing and while none are in danger of losing their scholarships, not being able to play is definitely affecting their psyche.

All good points, but it's still not a good look for these University presidents to explain to their donors that their schools won't be playing football this year but Clemson, Texas Alabama and Ohio State will. 

So that's why they have incentive to try and kill the entire college football season by leaking out to reporters that college football isn't happening this year even if they can't speak for every conference.

The reality is that having college football this year is a disaster but it's also a disaster to not have a college football season. It's lose/lose for every school.

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The one good thing about this is with the fallout from the player's movement and the chaos in college sports... it's a prime opportunity to lance Larry Scott off the ass of Pac-12 sports.  Something I've been waiting a long time for.  The guy is a fat expense account having, stuffed shirt douchebag and the worst kind of college sports executive.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, pdxgreen said:

The one good thing about this is with the fallout from the player's movement and the chaos in college sports... it's a prime opportunity to lance Larry Scott off the ass of Pac-12 sports.  Something I've been waiting a long time for.  The guy is a fat expense account having, stuffed shirt doichebag and the worst kind of college sports executive.

That guy is a character. If you are trying to convince student athletes that returning to play will be safe for them and their loved ones, telling them that widespread testing can't be available probably isn't a good starting point. 

9 hours ago, CTM said:

My nephew has as well, no issue yet. People are making decisions based on over stated ideas of risk. Tx, az and fl all seem to be past the peak with no significant alteration of strategy. ( and far less deaths than ny,nj,ma,ct) HI, Japan, Phillipines, etc all having spikes despite lockdowns. Ny/nj hit deaths peak 6 weeks post lockdown. With avg time from infection to death of 3 weeks, suggests peak transmission was post lock down?

Oh, cut the crap. 

TX, AZ and FLA  are not past any peaks.  As was pointed out previously, the CDC prints death statistics from Covid which is delayed for 8 weeks or more, so if you check the numbers from three weeks ago, many deaths are not yet recorded.  This is because the numbers are not recorded until the death certificate comes through, which needs to processed and signed by the state and can take months. Using this incomplete information leads to a graph which perpetually seems to be improving.  Until you check back three weeks later and find out that your numbers were low then because more death certificates have finally come through so there are more deaths recorded now for those weeks.

Using this deception, you have smelled up this issue for months.  Why don't you take a break or something and try to figure out some way to restore your reputation on the board?  Because for now it's in bad shape.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

Oh, cut the crap. 

TX, AZ and FLA  are not past any peaks.  As was pointed out previously, the CDC prints death statistics from Covid which is delayed for 8 weeks or more, so if you check the numbers from three weeks ago, many deaths are not yet recorded.  This is because the numbers are not recorded until the death certificate comes through, which needs to processed and signed by the state and can take months. Using this incomplete information leads to a graph which perpetually seems to be improving.  Until you check back three weeks later and find out that your numbers were low then because more death certificates have finally come through so there are more deaths recorded now for those weeks.

Using this deception, you have smelled up this issue for months.  Why don't you take a break or something and try to figure out some way to restore your reputation on the board?  Because for now it's in bad shape.

good grief lol