SI: The Machinery Is in Motion to Postpone the 2020 College Football Season

Lith

12 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That D1 athletes can't read?  No, I don't.

No, that the goal is to keep them eligible.

I’m going to go down a slippery slope here, but wtf not...

Just look at a guy we had hear on the Jets up until this offseason. I was a big fan of Robby Anderson, but you tell me how he stayed in school as long as he did?

Did you see the Cam Newton tweet the other day? Until I did, I never knew a quadruple negative was a thing.

I could go on, but please, don’t make me do it.

Don’t act like you don’t know there are kids getting into these schools unable to read beyond a 7th grade level, and play there for 3-4 years without that improving. Or acting like you haven’t cringed listening to kids, or even professional athletes being interviewed.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

21 minutes ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

Everyone is concerned about this or that. What about me? I think they'll be fine and I like to watch football on Saturdays sometimes as I sober up before getting drunk again Sunday. What the **** am I supposed to watch? Shark Tank reruns?

God I had to watch that last night because my remote wasn’t working.  That show is hideous

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

God I had to watch that last night because my remote wasn’t working.  That show is hideous

Let me know if you’re still having a problem with the remote.

I can link you to some Browns game videos. You can catch up on your favorite midget’s exploits. ?

• Thumb Down 1

13 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

Let me know if you’re still having a problem with the remote.

I can link you to some Browns game videos. You can catch up on your favorite midget’s exploits. ?

Do you waitress at a Cheesecake Factory?

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Do you waitress at a Cheesecake Factory?

Props. That was funny. ?

Dont hate Baker though, it’s not his fault Dorsey was smart enough to pick him. He’salways going to be  “the one who got away” and it will always hurt. He was born for NY, but it just wasn’t meant to be.

I know that won’t make it any easier watching Baker light it up this year, but you have to get over the hurt Phil. There’s  still a chance Sam can be good.

• Thumb Down 1

15 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

A spring college football season can't work since the draft is in the spring and I can't see the top end players risking injuries days before the draft and weeks before NFL training camp starts. They need time to recover for the NFL season. Are they going to have games during the NFL combine?

A spring football season would also be tough because it will finish pretty close to the start of the following fall season. 

It can work, but it doesn't work for the NFL.All college teams have spring practices and are year round conditioning and meeting. 

NCAA has told D2 colleges it will not sanction a spring football season.Not clear if that precludes colleges  playing games as if they're club teams. Lots of schools do that with rugby, but could run afoul of the NCAA going forward.

And if D1 could do something like that, unknown. 

15 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

My issue is with the schools themselves for allowing themselves to get to a point where Jimbo or Coach K is making more than any state employee and has more power than the University President.

What you absolutely fail to realize is that those big football and basketball programs that you are railing against because they are such money grabs and so called "greedy", fund all of the other sports in those schools.

You know how you played baseball in college, take away the profits of football and basketball at many D1 schools, away goes baseball. Away goes many men's and women's sports that do not get as much attention.

Right now, the huge worry is that if there is not a football season, many schools are going to have to consider shutting down those lesser known sports. Some already have. It is a real issue.

Do I feel bad for the money grabbing universities NO. I feel bad for the athletes that won't have a chance.

• Upvote 4

Ray GlierContributor
Ray Glier has covered Atlanta sports for 27 years
  •  
  •  
  •  

There are many people on college campuses that want to see football get plastered by this coronavirus, but without the death and heartache. For once there is something bigger than almighty football, and the anti-football establishment wants football to be shown some humility in this reckoning. Fewer fans and donations and no TV money. Professors working in classrooms with peeling paint see football’s shiny new stuff and all the excess and want to see a drawdown in the football facility arms race and the salaries of coaches.

But if football craters it will take down a lot of worthy students who happen to play sports. The volleyball team, the golf team, the gymnastics squad and others depend on football.

“Funding has to be a concern of every college volleyball coach, especially those not in the power-five conferences,” said Lee Feinswog editor of VolleyballMag.com. “They all have budgets for their programs for running the team, recruiting, all that, heading into the school year, but in a lot of cases they might get cut significantly if this goes much further.

“Football is the tail that wags the dog. If there's no football, there will be no volleyball.”

While he was athletic director and football coach at Louisiana Tech, Derek Dooley took money from a big payday for playing a Southeastern Conference opponent and improved the women’s soccer facility. Just like that and because he could.

Think about the cost of losing football for a season to Georgia Tech, which had $91 million in revenues in 2018. Travel for women’s basketball was $725,077 in 2018-19. Women’s basketball uniforms, equipment, and supplies were approximately $257,000. The women’s coaching staff was paid approximately $1.2 million. There were other expenses, too.

Women’s basketball athletic operating revenues were $739,611.

Who do you think made up the difference of over $1 million? There were donations, sure, because the university promotes women’s sports, but football helped.

For once, football is not making major decisions on campus. The virus is. After the virus, the presidents of schools, then the football coach.

The co-existence on campus is tenuous. Even one of the supposed good guys of football managed to  extend the tyranny of football over a campus. LSU quarterback Joe Burrow said to a professor on campus who complained about sleep pods in the Tigers’ new locker room:

“Why, professor, do you feel entitled to the fruits of our labor?” Burrow tweeted.

It was the only mistake Burrow made in an otherwise perfect season. He treated a professor like a chump.

You get the point. The animosity on campus between the football side and the academic side is real.

But if football gets whacked by the virus—and all indications it will—the financial hit to other sports on campus will be considerable. Those advocating for football to get its comeuppance better understand the calamity runs quickly downhill to other sports.

Volleyball teams fly to Hawaii. Baseball teams from the north play games in the warmer south in February. It goes on and on.

Vince Dooley, the legendary UGA football coach and the father of Derek, said in 1980 when the Bulldogs were a national powerhouse, Title IX was ramping up participation of women on campus in intercollegiate sports and women’s sports on campus needed an upgrade in facilities and equipment. Dooley said it was football that helped with fundraisers and revenue.

So we should be careful what we ask for. A volleyball player, looking forward to the season, might just have less of a fun ride—or no ride at all—because football wasn’t around to pay some of the bills. The ‘other’ half of the campus is just going to have to hold its nose.

49 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

What you absolutely fail to realize is that those big football and basketball programs that you are railing against because they are such money grabs and so called "greedy", fund all of the other sports in those schools.

You know how you played baseball in college, take away the profits of football and basketball at many D1 schools, away goes baseball. Away goes many men's and women's sports that do not get as much attention.

Worth noting that many schools are starting to see the detriments from this type of budgetary logic. See Stanford.

• Upvote 2

I think we're missing the point, which is why the colleges are likely not going to play.  And the reason for so many NFL player opt-outs and the colleges cancelling is that every few days we get more news about how close we are getting to a vaccine.  Going out and playing a full contact sport eight or ten weeks before a vaccine for the virus becomes available is just crazy, and both pro players and colleges are realizing it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

I think we're missing the point, which is why the colleges are likely not going to play.  And the reason for so many NFL player opt-outs and the colleges cancelling is that every few days we get more news about how close we are getting to a vaccine.  Going out and playing a full contact sport eight or ten weeks before a vaccine for the virus becomes available is just crazy, and both pro players and colleges are realizing it.

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating that football has to be played this fall at college. But, the dominoes that fall from that are wide ranging.

And don't think that some swarmy University Presidents will not use the opportunity to whack other sports, just because they can.

Sucks but college was never happening.  Ofcourse it’s the year I’ve felt best about the Gators chances in years.  Ugh.  My heart goes out to the kids though.  Must suck to be going through this and ruining the college experience for so many who worked so hard to get there. 

• Upvote 2

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating that football has to be played this fall at college. But, the dominoes that fall from that are wide ranging.

And don't think that some swarmy University Presidents will not use the opportunity to whack other sports, just because they can.

Not sure what you mean about university presidents whacking other sports, but I think it's a realization that we might be just a few months away from a vaccine.  So why are we sending kids back to elementary and high school, why are we considering opening college, why are we not pretty much cancelling everything non-essential if we get a vaccine when the leaves have just begun to fall from the trees?

With the end increasingly in sight, we shouldn't take chances now.  And that goes for the NFL as well.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Worth noting that many schools are starting to see the detriments from this type of budgetary logic. See Stanford.

Also worth noting: All budgets are different and not all universities fund all their sports programs the same way. There are plenty of institutions out there with top programs in sports like baseball, track, soccer, volleyball...etc; that don’t get funded through bloated football and basketball programs. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, kelticwizard said:

Not sure what you mean about university presidents whacking other sports, but I think it's a realization that we might be just a few months away from a vaccine.  So why are sending kids back to elementary and high school, why are we considering opening college, why are we not pretty much cancelling everything non-essential if we get a vaccine when the leaves have just begun to fall from the trees?

With the end increasingly in sight, why take chances now?  And that goes for the NFL as well.

What I mean is that college football funds almost the entirety of all the other sports at many colleges. Thus, no college football, no college crew, or softball, etc, etc, etc. U Presidents will just drop them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/08/sports/coronavirus-stanford-cuts.html

Stanford Permanently Cuts 11 Sports Amid Coronavirus Pandemic

The university said in a statement that it faced a $70 million shortfall over the next three years.

By Billy Witz and Gillian R. Brassil

• July 8, 2020

Stanford University, which has built the most successful broad-based athletic department in the country, said on Wednesday that its model was financially unsustainable in part because of the coronavirus pandemic and that it would permanently drop 11 sports to help offset what it projected would be at least a $70 million deficit over the next three years.

The pandemic has already begun to expose cracks in the financial models of many universities, with schools like Akron, Brown and Cincinnati dropping sports, others like Oklahoma and Iowa instituting pay cuts and budget cuts, and the marketing behemoth Learfield IMG College notifying dozens of schools that it would be months late on its payments to universities.

But Stanford’s decision is likely to send ripples through the college sports world.

Thus far, no schools have dropped as many sports, and Stanford is one of the wealthiest universities in the country, sitting on an endowment that was valued at $26.5 billion as recently as last year.

And the sports that will be dropped after the next academic year are hardly floundering — they have combined to produce 20 national championships and 27 Olympic medalists. It is the success of sports like rowing, sailing, fencing, field hockey, squash, synchronized swimming, wrestling and men’s volleyball that helped Stanford win the N.C.A.A. Director’s Cup, which awards overall athletic excellence, for the 25th time in a row last year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Also worth noting: All budgets are different and not all universities fund all their sports programs the same way. There are plenty of institutions out there with top programs in sports like baseball, track, soccer, volleyball...etc; that don’t get funded through bloated football and basketball programs. 

Correct, and the math certainly gets fuzzy at a lot of places.

But, greedy university presidents are certainly salivating at an opportunity to cut some non-revenue generating sports, because they can. Because, bottom line and lining their own pockets.

17 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

The whole NCAA football/basketball thing has gone so far beyond anything resembling what it should be.

Its become way too big, and way too important to the schools. There’s something wrong when a football and basketball coach are the highest paid state employees.

Everything about it is wrong. The term student/athlete is a joke. Half of these kids don’t belong on a college campus in the first place. The fact that they’re able to stay there for 3 or 4 years and leave without either being able to formulate a sentence, or in some cases read, is all you need to know about how corrupt the system is.

I’m a diehard sports fan, and look forward to the seasons as much as anyone, but if the last few months have taught me anything, it’s that sports are not that important.

It would be far from the worst thing to see these school and their athletic departments take a crippling financial hit, and eventually return as what they were intended to be, which is a healthy outlet for the students who participate, and as entertainment for the students who attend the games. The rest is all nonsense.

Not really what this threads is about. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

No, that the goal is to keep them eligible.

I’m going to go down a slippery slope here, but wtf not...

Just look at a guy we had hear on the Jets up until this offseason. I was a big fan of Robby Anderson, but you tell me how he stayed in school as long as he did?

Did you see the Cam Newton tweet the other day? Until I did, I never knew a quadruple negative was a thing.

I could go on, but please, don’t make me do it.

Don’t act like you don’t know there are kids getting into these schools unable to read beyond a 7th grade level, and play there for 3-4 years without that improving. Or acting like you haven’t cringed listening to kids, or even professional athletes being interviewed.

Yeah, you slipped. 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

They’re going to play. Cancelling it because of the indoor kids would be asinine. Still think they figure it out.

Up until yesterday I thought so.  Now I'm almost positive they aren't.  The Big Ten at least.  Everything I have read leads me to believe they will be announcing they are cancelling/moving to spring as soon as today, but almost certainly this week.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Sucks but college was never happening.  Ofcourse it’s the year I’ve felt best about the Gators chances in years.  Ugh.  My heart goes out to the kids though.  Must suck to be going through this and ruining the college experience for so many who worked so hard to get there. 

I’m with you, it will suck losing the last year of eligibility of Trevor and Travis and missing out on a legit Natty run.  But the kids I really feel bad for are the kids who won’t play ball beyond college and are playing because they just love playing ball.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Was just about to come and post something similar.  MAC is the first Domino.  I expect the Big Ten to be the first power 5 to follow suit.  I would expect that within a few days.

I'd also anticipate many of these MAC level or lower programs will never make it back.  College football could be a Power 5 only sport going forward.  Would not surprise me in the least.

From what I'm getting out here in Buffalo, where U of Buffalo is in the MAC, the cancellation of non conference games by the power 5  was a killer. UB had both Ohio St. and Kansas State on there schedule . When the power 5 cancelled those games there went millions of $$ in revenue for UB. Schools like UB can not support football with just MAC games. UB has a fairly small stadium yet it's only about 2/5 full for it's home games. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Up until yesterday I thought so.  Now I'm almost positive they aren't.  The Big Ten at least.  Everything I have read leads me to believe they will be announcing they are cancelling/moving to spring as soon as today, but almost certainly this week.

If one of the Power 5 conferences cancels, the rest most certainly will.   I just don’t get the move to spring though, if the current season was to end in January, how is starting a season a month after that really going to make difference?   I guess the hope is for a vaccine, but realistically I don’t see a vaccine that 300 million people will be able to take will be ready in 4 months.  

4 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

From what I'm getting out here in Buffalo, where U of Buffalo is in the MAC, the cancellation of non conference games by the power 5  was a killer. UB had both Ohio St. and Kansas State on there schedule . When the power 5 cancelled those games there went millions of $$ in revenue for UB. Schools like UB can not support football with just MAC games. UB has a fairly small stadium yet it's only about 2/5 full for it's home games. 

Exactly right about the non-power 5 schools who rely on those games to fund their programs.   They’re not paying because of fear of the virus, they aren’t playing because they don’t have the money.  

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m with you, it will suck losing the last year of eligibility of Trevor and Travis and missing out on a legit Natty run.  But the kids I really feel bad for are the kids who won’t play ball beyond college and are playing because they just love playing ball.  

I get your point here, and feel for the kids as well. But, not counting walk-ons, these guys are getting a free college education at a great academic institution like Clemson in exchange for their athletic skill. The best deal in the USA.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

You’re upset about football getting cancelled because of the Florida Gators?  My alma matter Rutgers was about to make the NCAA tournament in basketball in 30 years and it got cancelled and next season will probably also get cancelled too

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

You’re upset about football getting cancelled because of the Florida Gators?  My alma matter Rutgers was about to make the NCAA tournament in basketball in 30 years and it got cancelled and next season will probably also get cancelled too

And would have won a few games, too. Pikiel is the best hire RU has made in 30 years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Correct, and the math certainly gets fuzzy at a lot of places.

But, greedy university presidents are certainly salivating at an opportunity to cut some non-revenue generating sports, because they can. Because, bottom line and lining their own pockets.

They can’t.  Title Noin