Favorite fast food

8 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

just thought of another one

Anyone remember the Kosher style deli with hotdogs and knishes out front?  The world's best pastrami, corned beef, turkey, rye bread, etc. Stuffed derma at the tables. 

Skyview Deli in Riverdale, the best of the best. RIP Denny, wherever you are 

Yup, the square knishes that had a yellow tint.  And once you mention stuffed derma?  I know you're legit.  lol  What's next, kasha varniskes? 

• Upvote 1

BK is my go-to fast food when in a hurry. Whopper with NO MAYO is still rock solid and their fries are better than the slop at McD.

Taco Bell was king until they cut out the cool ranch tacos and the chicken chipotle grillers. F them now!

When I have time to be picky I go to Subway or Firehouse. Can't beat a fresh made sub with jalapenos.

Up here we don't have many of the chains you guys have. Pretty much every country store makes take out food in Maine though. Chicken teriyaki hot sub is banging.

11 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

BK is my go-to fast food when in a hurry. Whopper with NO MAYO is still rock solid and their fries are better than the slop at McD.

Taco Bell was king until they cut out the cool ranch tacos and the chicken chipotle grillers. F them now!

When I have time to be picky I go to Subway or Firehouse. Can't beat a fresh made sub with jalapenos.

Up here we don't have many of the chains you guys have. Pretty much every country store makes take out food in Maine though. Chicken teriyaki hot sub is banging.

Up by you, I'd live on lobster rolls.  Can't recall the place.  But there was one no-frills joint on the Cape which had incredible--simply prepared--ones.  

Here, they're ridiculously expensive.  What does a good lobster roll go for near you?

12 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Up by you, I'd live on lobster rolls.  Can't recall the place.  But there was one no-frills joint on the Cape which had incredible--simply prepared--ones.  

Here, they're ridiculously expensive.  What does a good lobster roll go for near you?

Probably 6.99 on average. Lobster is pretty abundant here and you can buy live ones in a bunch of grocery stores.

Personally I'm allergic to shellfish, so I don't buy any. LOL

10 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Do you go back far enough for Nathan's frog legs, pastrami sandwhiches and clam chowder?

Yes, I absolutely do go back that far.  Never tried the frog legs myself, but I do remember them as well as the chowder and sandwiches.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Probably 6.99 on average. Lobster is pretty abundant here and you can buy live ones in a bunch of grocery stores.

Personally I'm allergic to shellfish, so I don't buy any. LOL

Damn, too bad about being allergic.   We deal with peanut/tree nut allergy in my home so empathize with your situation.

My wife works in the City and they occasionally get lobster rolls from Cousins food truck.  The cost for a simple roll?  $18.50.  It's phenomenal, but come on.  GFY.

8 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Damn, too bad about being allergic.   We deal with peanut/tree nut allergy in my home so empathize with your situation.

My wife works in the City and they occasionally get lobster rolls from Cousins food truck.  The cost for a simple roll?  $18.50.  It's phenomenal, but come on.  GFY.

Yikes! Highway robbery.

Alot of places up here (like ice cream shops) make small lobster rolls on hotdog buns that aren't wicked expensive. Other places have foot long BIG rolls that are more money. The closer you get to the tourist areas, the more the price goes up. Camden... cough...cough...

• Upvote 1

Some more considerations:

• Jack-in-the Box, There was one in Plainview before they left the east. Breakfast Jacks, tacos and nice thick shakes. 
  • Pier French Fries on the strip in Old Orchard Beach (since 1938)
  • Rutts Hut rippers in NJ on the way home from a Red Bull match
  • Culver's Butter burgers in Wisconsen
  • Gelato from a streetside storefront anywhere in Italy (does that count?)

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Some more considerations:

• Jack-in-the Box, There was one in Plainview before they left the east. Breakfast Jacks, tacos and nice thick shakes. 
  • Pier French Fries on the strip in Old Orchard Beach (since 1938)
  • Rutts Hut rippers in NJ on the way home from a Red Bull match
  • Culver's Butter burgers in Wisconsen
  • Gelato from a streetside storefront anywhere in Italy (does that count?)

OOB fries are pretty good

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

forgot about Popeyes ... very underrated 

Speaking of chicken, a moment of silence for the tastiest in history ... Kenny Rogers Roasters. Should have killed Boston Market but was unfortunately managed. 

Do you remember Roy Rogers? I remember one on Old Country Rd' in Hicksville I believe. They had the best fried chicken and one of my favorites, the Double R Bar burger that had some ham on it. I also think they invented the fixins bar where you could dress your own burgers. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, RobR said:

Do you remember Roy Rogers? I remember one on Old Country Rd' in Hicksville I believe. They had the best fried chicken and one of my favorites, the Double R Bar burger that had some ham on it. I also think they invented the fixins bar where you could dress your own burgers. 

Speaking of Old Country Rd in Hicksville, how about Wetsons? 

... and if this qualifies as fast food, the custard stand inside Gertz in Mid-Island

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

... and if this qualifies as fast food, the custard stand inside Gertz in Mid-Island

I remember my parents talking about Wetsons and iirc they had one on Hempstead Tpke. in either Levittown or East Meadow. Can't say that I remember them because that was slightly before my time although I wouldn't be surprised if I ate there as a child. 

32 minutes ago, RobR said:

Do I remember Roy Rogers?  When I was in school in Philly, there were a couple of bars on campus that allowed students in under 21 with campus ID.  One of them was across the street from Roy Rogers.  I cannot tell you how many drunken nights ended up at Roys.  Sometimes it was for a burger, other times if we spent too much at the bar, we just stopped in for the fixins,  Nothing like loading up on pickles and tomato slices at 2AM in a drunken stupor in West Philly.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

Do I remember Roy Rogers?  When I was in school in Philly, there were a couple of bars on campus that allowed students in under 21 with campus ID.  One of them was across the street from Roy Rogers.  I cannot tell you how many drunken nights ended up at Roys.  Sometimes it was for a burger, other times if we spent too much at the bar, we just stopped in for the fixins,  Nothing like loading up on pickles and tomato slices at 2AM in a drunken stupor in West Philly.

Can't believe you said this.  When I was a grad student at Penn State, one of my friends basically survived eating from the fixins bar. That and bar fruit.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

I regard fast food as somewhere you walk in, place an order, and you're out in a few minutes, whether they're chains or small places.

Chunky Chip (Scotstown)

Carlo's Pizza (Middle Village)

Chick-Fil-A

Burger King

DiFontaines Pizza (Dublin) - Would never have discovered this place but for @AFJF

And Wendy's can go to f**k with their sh**ty fries. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Wetson's?  There was by the Korvette's that became Caesar's Bay Bazaar, but the one I remember best we always called Mitchell's on 86th Street, up by the BQE entrance.  It was a Nathan's until very recently.  I guess Mitchell's was some kind of diner-ey place where people cruised.  It was before my time, but we still call the lot Mitchell's. 

14 hours ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

I regard fast food as somewhere you walk in, place an order, and you're out in a few minutes, whether they're chains or small places.

Chunky Chip (Scotstown)

Carlo's Pizza (Middle Village)

Chick-Fil-A

Burger King

DiFontaines Pizza (Dublin) - Would never have discovered this place but for @AFJF

And Wendy's can go to f**k with their sh**ty fries. 

Dude, I was supposed to see Green Day in Dublin and was looking forward to my DiFontaines fix.  Damn you, COVID!

Dunno if its still open, but my all time favourite was Bushwick pita palace, in brooklyn - right off the L by montrose Av. 

Their chicken and falafel sandwiches were like 5 lbs, enough to feed a small family of 4. Nice guys running the place, gave you bigger portions free of charge. Not sure what its like in recent years. 

In Long island, its easily this spot, right here:

http://se-portdeli.com

legendary. they're still open, still thriving in the middle of a pandemic...if you're in the area...give these guys a visit. Trust me, these are the best sandwiches you'll ever have...different class.

the-gasm.jpg

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Dunno if its still open, but my all time favourite was Bushwick pita palace, in brooklyn - right off the L by montrose Av. 

Their chicken and falafel sandwiches were like 5 lbs, enough to feed a small family of 4. Nice guys running the place, gave you bigger portions free of charge. Not sure what its like in recent years. 

Still there. Ate there a bunch of times the past 4 years. Great food

• Upvote 1

On 8/25/2020 at 4:55 PM, Lith said:

UPenn? Drexel? I went to Temple.