The 2021 OLine

jetstream23

The Jets poured lots of resources (Draft capital, FA $$) into the Line last offseason, committing money to McGovern, Fant, GVR, Josh Andrews, etc. and a #11 pick on Becton, a 4th round pick on Cam Clark.  Yet, it still feels like there's significant work to do.

The 2020 starters were Becton, Lewis, McGovern, GVR, Fant.  What would be your realistic upgrades for 2021?  How many new starters do you want and how much are you willing to commit both in terms of $$ and Draft capital?

A case could be made that the Jets could upgrade 3 positions with two huge moves in an effort to instantly turn the OLine into the strength of the team in 2021.  Signing an OG like Thuney from the Patriots and using the #2 pick on Penei Sewell could, on paper, give the Jets one of the most dominant lines in the league.

Sewell - Thuney - McGovern - Lewis - Becton

I'm not sure how great of a fit Lewis is at RG but Pat Elflein and GVR are also candidates for that spot.  As it stands today I have no hope that guys like Chuma Edoga or Cam Clark are going to earn starting spots in 2021.

But those would be the two home run moves (Thuney, Sewell) that IMO upgrade 3 spots to potential Pro Bowl caliber (by moving Becton to RT) but again, it would be costly.

Other options would include signing Thuney, keeping Becton at LT and using that later 1st round or 2nd round pick on a guy like Sam Cosmi or Alex Leatherwood.  Creed Humphrey could also be an option.

So for 2021, go big and try to make the line elite.....or make some more incremental improvements at one or two spots and keeping guys like Fant and Lewis in place?

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I didn’t think the line was too bad, adding one more will be enough. Thuney, and another lineman in 3,4th rounds for depth, competition 

when we had a QB in who knew how to read defenses and get rid of the ball when he was supposed to (Flacco), they looked very good

I disagree, I want a great oline not a passable, fair, so so, okay oline.

Oline is the foundation of the offense and a good oline makes fair QB, Wr, TE and RB much much better.

I want to go after Thuney and use high picks (as in at least one of our 1st three picks and a 3rd rounder) on another OG and a Center

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I didn’t think the line was too bad, adding one more will be enough. Thuney, and another lineman in 3,4th rounds for depth, competition 

when we had a QB in who knew how to read defenses and get rid of the ball when he was supposed to (Flacco), they looked very good

You would be incorrect.

I think you're just favorably comparing them to our line in 2019, which was way worse

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Yeah, the more I think about it that #2 is an insanely valuable pick and as much as I like Sewell we seem to have a very good LT who will only be heading into Year 2.  Since Cap money is the thing the Jets have so much of I think signing Thuney is the key upgrade and using a later pick to find either a RT or C would be wise.  Although I might not wait around until the 3rd or 4th.  That pick at the top of Round 2 could net us a solid starting caliber player.  The guys I mentioned in the OP like Cosmi, Leatherwood and Humphrey should be available in that area.

• Upvote 1

Scherrf > Thuney   IMO 

If we drafted Sewell I see him at LT and Mekhi at RT. 

Fant is expensive and just adequate. There should be a lot of RT prospects with Seattle pick and our 2nd.

realistically I see a new HC wanting his own young QB to develop.

——-

so my best guess is

Justin Fields

Pass rusher at Seattle pick

OL in second round

sign FA Guard and WR

sign Scherff, 

Guards can be found in the second and third round, and while I like Davis and wouldnt hate it if we used our seattle pick on him, I dont think its great value.

McGovern has been very solid the second half of the year,  I believe PFF has him 9th overall.

Fant's metrics have been worse then I had thought.  If we were to cut him and spend on someone like Moton, and only add an additional $3million per year ($9 million for fant vs $12 for Moton) that would be a good upgrade that would allow us to look elsewhere in the draft.

Id love to see us keep GVR as a possible starter and definite backup.  Hes a veteran presence, hes cheap and can fill in at multiple spots.  Then use our 2nd or 3rd round pick to upgrade one of the Guard spots and let rookie, Clark, GVR, etc compete and provide us much needed depth.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Don't think JD will draft Sewell. His priority with his 1st pick was OL last year and he stuck to it despite many screaming for a WR.  This year it will be QB.  Sign Thuney, draft Myers round 3. Slide McGovern over to guard. Fant still under contract another year. 

Becton, Thuney, Myers, McGovern, Fant.  

scouting-report-icon

43 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Don't think JD will draft Sewell. His priority with his 1st pick was OL last year and he stuck to it despite many screaming for a WR.  This year it will be QB.  Sign Thuney, draft Myers round 3. Slide McGovern over to guard. Fant still under contract another year. 

Becton, Thuney, Myers, McGovern, Fant.  

scouting-report-icon

JD certainly talked about upgrading the OL last year.  He has been silent about QB's and other intentions this year.  Majority of fan base wants to draft a QB.  Have no idea what JD wants.  He may not even know yet.

2 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

"What are you talking about? The line was great and Darnold was great! The Jets were great! Gase was great! Everything about the Jets is 1st class and done totally right." ~ @JetsFan1986

• WTF? 1

18 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

"What are you talking about? The line was great and Darnold was great! The Jets were great! Gase was great! Everything about the Jets is 1st class and done totally right." ~ @JetsFan1986

This is pretty silly.  I’ve said many times I HATED the Gase hire.  The oline has been bad for years.  I’ve also admitted Sam did not have a good year 

You guys are nuts. If Martindale is the guy who JD is targeting finishing building the Oline is imperative to resurrecting the young broken Darnold. 

Darnold just needs a reset in the offseason, a system that plays to his strengths to get his confidence back. Sewell is gonna come out of the combine with grades so high it will be impossible for Joe Douglas to ignore the idea of building the leagues best Oline. 

Everyone keeps bringing up the fact that Fant is OK. OK isn't good enough for 10 million dollars. Drafting Sewell doesn't just improve the RT spot by a large margin moving Becton back to his college position it STRENGTHENS the LT position because Sewell is even better than Becton. 

So while everyone is crying about drafting tackles back to back you'll actually improve both tackle spots & trade or cut Fant with only 2 million cap hit & save 8 million to improve another hole. 

Our running game has been very inconsistent & Darnold is still under too much pressure to often. Add Thuney, and Lindsey or draft a Josh Myers in the 3rd. Build it & any QB can be plugged in to perform. This is the 2nd year of the true rebuild, to construct the most important part of an offense so all of the weapons can perform at their best is imperative. 

The Jets will be in a lot of close games in 2021 with an upgrade of talent across the board, you win close games by having a great Oline that can control a tired defense in the 4th quarter. They can finish the Oline & still have 2 more picks in the top 34, and still have gobs of free agent dollars for a #1 WR, an Edge Rusher and a lot more. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

You don't move Becton until you have cause. He'll probably throw the toys out, although he's definitely more suited than Sewell.

It's the most important unit in the game. If we had a top 5 unit then you can slot in average players around it and you'll still get results. I'd pretty much never complain about investing in the line. It's disgusting just how little we've done so over this miserable decade and it's no coincidence that our last great teams were stacked on the line. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, addage said:

JD certainly talked about upgrading the OL last year.  He has been silent about QB's and other intentions this year.  Majority of fan base wants to draft a QB.  Have no idea what JD wants.  He may not even know yet.

at 2-13 you'd figure he would.

• Upvote 1

On 12/30/2020 at 7:03 PM, Beerfish said:

I disagree, I want a great oline not a passable, fair, so so, okay oline.

Oline is the foundation of the offense and a good oline makes fair QB, Wr, TE and RB much much better.

I want to go after Thuney and use high picks (as in at least one of our 1st three picks and a 3rd rounder) on another OG and a Center

per OL, i want 2-3 free agents and 2-3 draft picks..

remember, many like sam better than josh after rookie season and preGase,,josh and bills miraculously got good when bills gm then signed FIVE free agent OLinemen in one  free agent period. A very good OL rules all