D Smith

Lupz27

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

broadly speaking - it isn't a problem in actual NFL war rooms, but top 4 is usually reserved for QBs, elite LT, and Pass Rushers.... they're just that much harder to come by. Lots of WRs go 5-10 historically speaking.

Matt Millen on heart transplant: "I can't waste this opportunity" -  ProFootballTalk

Matt Millen is laughing at you.

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Meh I wish the Slim Reaper looked like Calvin Johnson. 

of course we lose a it on Trevor and there’s no Chase Young, no Nick Bosa, no Von Miller, no Calvin Johnson.

i dunnno- I haven’t seen these other college QB’s enough. 

Fields looks like he has the tools but needs a year on the bench

Sewell is that guy. Maybe the best tackle prospect ever. Rare that the safest pick may also have the highest ceiling.

He’s the guy although I think the QB club will win out.

• Upvote 1

Smith started the game on fire, broke the cfb championship game record by halftime and was in a plaster cast by the 4th quarter.

That hit he took was rough it was also the type of hit NFL wr take every week for 6 months. 

He's 30 pounds lighter than mims, who was last seen purchasing a French bulldog while on stilts. 

All of this is to say he's a beast but he's not Calvin Johnson and that gives me pause at 2 

I still like Smith as a backup in case Sewell has a terrible workout or gets injured or something crazy but Sewell is likely to be a rarer athlete even rarer than Smith. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RobR said:

I've come around because he's a natural....way better than Jeudy but I can't get my head around his frame. I still prefer Waddle.

That’s fine. Stay true to what you saw. I’ve been tooting that Smith horn since last year. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, bitonti said:

Davonta Smith started the game on fire, broke the cfb championship game record by halftime and was in a plaster cast by the 4th quarter.

That hit he took was rough it was also the type of hit NFL wr take every week for 6 months. 

He's 30 pounds lighter than mims, who was last seen purchasing a French bulldog while on stilts. 

All of this is to say he's a beast but he's not Calvin Johnson and that gives me pause at 2 

I still like Smith as a backup in case Sewell has a terrible workout or gets injured or something crazy but Sewell is likely to be a rarer athlete even rarer than Devonta Smith 

What he said.

If I had to take a stab at who the best WRs over the last 20 years were, Julio, Calvin, Fitz, AB (gag), and Hopkins.  You could argue for OBJ or Michael Thomas over AB if you must.  But the other four guys are big dudes.  Small WRs can be great, but the odds are very much in favor of the guys who are big, strong and fast.  I would take a young Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson over Smith 10 times out of 10.  

Will Smith be successful in the NFL?  I have no clue.  I hope so because the game needs stars and he seems like a great kid.  I just don't know if I want the Jets to be the team that rolls those dice.

It will be interesting to see the Smith vs. Chase debate rage as we get closer to the draft.  

25 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Smith started the game on fire, broke the cfb championship game record by halftime and was in a plaster cast by the 4th quarter.

I still like Smith as a backup in case Sewell has a terrible workout or gets injured or something crazy but Sewell is likely to be a rarer athlete even rarer than Smith. 

Dude is in a cast because his finger got bent the wrong way freak thing not a sign of frailty, dude would have been back in if the game wasn’t so out of hand because he single handily destroyed OSU.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Dude is in a cast because his finger got bent the wrong way freak thing not a sign of frailty, dude would have been back in if the game wasn’t so out of hand because he single handily destroyed OSU.

Then why couldn't he keep playing?  :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

He certainly needs to be in the conversation at #2.  Same for Ja'Marr Chase.

I have no idea why drafting a #1 WR with the #2 pick has been such a dismissed idea on this board.  It is a huge need on the team, and there is no reason to believe these players are not going to be difference makers in the NFL.  In my opinion, Smith and Chase are both going to rise up draft boards in the coming months.

It's the $80m in cap and the pig rich WR class in FA. We can have an NFL legit WR to immediately help whoever is at QB. Not to mention it helps spread out contracts so you don't have 2 high prices WRs.

Just my opinion here but #2 holds so much value it needs to be a QB or trade down. If Atlanta offers #4 and a first next year or #4 and a 2nd and a 3rd this year, I'm trading back. Let Miami chose whoever they want then take Chase/Smith there if you want but honestly if I could slide further down again I'd do that. If we end up picking 8th my guess is one of Chase, Waddle, or Smith will be there plus a boat load of extra picks.

You draft premium positions at #2, period.  That is QB, OL, pass rushers
and CB.  If you want a WR you must trade down to the 6-10 range and get
a package of picks.  Learn from Maccagnan's errors, high picks must be
for premium positions

This is my opinion about Smith not that it matters for squat. 

Right now I’m not feeling either QB option at 2, and while I understand drafting a WR that high might not be the best, he reminds me of Stefon Diggs big time. 

Diggs was crucial with Josh Allen’s breakout this year and he could help mask flaws of a QB. 

So by taking him it gives us options. Can a player like that help Sam if we choose to play one more year with him, or if we take Jones if he is there with Seattle’s pick there is also the familiarity between the 2 to help his transition and give him a level of comfort not often afforded to a rookie coming in.