D Smith

Lupz27

He certainly needs to be in the conversation at #2.  Same for Ja'Marr Chase.

I have no idea why drafting a #1 WR with the #2 pick has been such a dismissed idea on this board.  It is a huge need on the team, and there is no reason to believe these players are not going to be difference makers in the NFL.  In my opinion, Smith and Chase are both going to rise up draft boards in the coming months.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DoubleDown said:

I have no idea why drafting a #1 WR with the #2 pick has been such a dismissed idea on this board.  It is a huge need on the team, and there is no reason to believe these players are not going to be difference makers in the NFL.  In my opinion, Smith and Chase are both going to rise up draft boards in the coming months.

it's dismissed because I feel like that rarely works out...

If we aren't taking a QB and the trade down offers aren't great, I wouldn't be against it. I'm more in favor of that then drafting a RT at #2 at least.

We probably won't be able to land a premiere WR in FA due to the QB position being a question mark anyhow

Meh I wish the Slim Reaper looked like Calvin Johnson. 

of course we lose a it on Trevor and there’s no Chase Young, no Nick Bosa, no Von Miller, no Calvin Johnson.

i dunnno- I haven’t seen these other college QB’s enough. 

Fields looks like he has the tools but needs a year on the bench

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Alabama fan be telling me Waddle>>>Smith

How is that possible?

Because he projects better to the NFL game. Smith is good but he's been given free reign off of the LOS and capitalized on it.

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

Because he projects better to the NFL game. Smith is good but he's been given free reign off of the LOS and capitalized on it.

And a good offensive game planer and play caller will make sure they get him free releases at the next level, there are so many ways.

Just now, Lupz27 said:

And a good offensive game planer and play caller will make sure they get him free releases at the next level, there are so many ways.

If you want to take a player at #2 overall because we can game plan him open at the NFL level you've lost me. 

8 minutes ago, RobR said:

If you want to take a player at #2 overall because we can game plan him open at the NFL level you've lost me. 

Ok you lost me when you assume he can’t get off the line.  I was just gonna keep the conversation going but nevermind.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Ok you lost me when you assume he can’t get off the line.  I was just gonna keep the conversation going but nevermind.

Show me him beating  press man tonight. Again, I like the receiver but the talk of #2 overall is silly. He's 175 lbs.

• Upvote 1

I tried to find an NFL WR his size (6'1" 175 lbs.).  Couldn't.

Closest matches:

DeSean Jackson - 5'10" 175 lb.

Will Fuller - 6'0" 180 lb.

Here is a list from 2016 comparing NFL WRs by lbs./inch.

https://fantasyindex.com/2017/04/24/ian-allan/skinny-wide-receivers

Fuller is the skinniest of them all at 2.5 lbs./in.

Smith would blow that away at 2.35 lbs./in.

I don't know how much that means, but it does put Smith into somewhat unprecedented territory. He makes Robby look like a jacked up beast.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

I tried to find an NFL WR his size (6'1" 175 lbs.).  Couldn't.

Closest matches:

DeSean Jackson - 5'10" 175 lb.

Will Fuller - 6'0" 180 lb.

Here is a list from 2016 comparing NFL WRs by lbs./inch.

https://fantasyindex.com/2017/04/24/ian-allan/skinny-wide-receivers

Fuller is the skinniest of them all at 2.5 lbs./in.

Smith would blow that away at 2.35 lbs./in.

I don't know how much that means, but it does put Smith into somewhat unprecedented territory. He makes Robby look like a jacked up beast.

Thanks for posting. Good stuff. 

Just now, RobR said:

Nice deflection when you can't answer the question. WR's his size will have trouble at the next level unless you want to run him as a slot. 

Also nice deflection bud, use your own tactics.  He is a play any and everywhere game changer that’s his position he plays not WR.

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

I have no idea why drafting a #1 WR with the #2 pick has been such a dismissed idea on this board. 

broadly speaking - it isn't a problem in actual NFL war rooms, but top 4 is usually reserved for QBs, elite LT, and Pass Rushers.... they're just that much harder to come by. Lots of WRs go 5-10 historically speaking.

19 minutes ago, RobR said:

Show me him beating  press man tonight. Again, I like the receiver but the talk of #2 overall is silly. He's 175 lbs.

Not going to argue taking him at 2. But check him out against LSU last year. He was really the only receiver Stingley had issues with last year. Stingley likes to play close to the line. He got schooled by Smith a few times.

Agree about not taking him at 2 though. If we are not taking a QB, we better trade back.