Senior Bowl News and Stuff

kdels62

So the 'LEO' position in Saleh's D... can Basham do that? Is it exclusively for speed rushers? I'm trying to understand what they'll be looking for in that position so I can better understand the type of player they would target. Because it seems like we got players to play the Arik Armstead role, but we don't have anyone that can play the 'Leo'. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I would guess he is working out to get his weight up and does not want his official measurements taken yet.

yea. He's there just for interviews and such right? Save everything else till proday. 

Hey, if weight concerns push a couple WRs over him -- Leaving Mr. Smith to hang around till #23... well, that would be just fine with me

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

So the 'LEO' position in Saleh's D... can Basham do that? Is it more for speed rushers. I'm trying to understand what they'll be looking for in that position so I can better understand the type of player they would target. Because it seems like we got players to play the Arik Armstead role, but we don't have anyone that can play the 'Leo'. 

Depends entirely on his 40 time/ 3 cone. Anything over 4.8 or 7.25 and he’s basically a 5tech/ 3tech hybrid exclusively.  For the LEO role of the wide 9 we have Bryce Huff... and that’s it. Zuniga also has the athleticism for it but he was so bad last year.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Depends entirely on his 40 time/ 3 cone. Anything over 4.8 or 7.25 and he’s basically a 5tech/ 3tech hybrid exclusively.  For the LEO role of the wide 9 we have Bryce Huff... and that’s it. Zuniga also has the athleticism for it but he was so bad last year.

Wasn't it his SPARQ numbers that screamed pass rusher for him? Have to think Saleh will give hima long look.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

Wasn't it his SPARQ numbers that screamed pass rusher for him? Have to think Saleh will give hima long look.

He’s got great athleticism. His explosive measurements are great (40 time, bench, broad jump and very) especially for weighing almost 265. The concern with him is agility and injury. If he’s all that burst but no agility he’s probably better on the interior or blitzing. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Paradis said:

yea. He's there just for interviews and such right? Save everything else till proday. 

Hey, if weight concerns push a couple WRs over him -- Leaving Mr. Smith to hang around till #23... well, that would be just fine with me

A couple of months ago, I thought maybe there was a chacne that could happen.  But after what he has done in the last few games, I don't see any way he lasts to 23.

10 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He’s got great athleticism. His explosive measurements are great (40 time, bench, broad jump and very) especially for weighing almost 265. The concern with him is agility and injury. If he’s all that burst but no agility he’s probably better on the interior or blitzing. 

Interesting you mention that. I went back and was reading profiles of all the guys we ended up picking. Consensus was that Zunigna did his best work inside.

5 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

So the 'LEO' position in Saleh's D... can Basham do that? Is it exclusively for speed rushers? I'm trying to understand what they'll be looking for in that position so I can better understand the type of player they would target. Because it seems like we got players to play the Arik Armstead role, but we don't have anyone that can play the 'Leo'. 

I think they’re going to be looking at guys 15-20 pounds lighter for that role. More like Phillips, Weaver, Jones, Rousseau, maybe Tryon and Oweh. Not so sure about Paye. Maybe Ossai. I think Ojulari may need to stand up. Probably misspelled a few in there but you get the idea.

I do think they’d love to bring in a FA but I’d be surprised if they didn’t add a weak side end prospect somewhere from 23 to the end of day two. Big need, premium position, and that’s where the bulk of the edge class seems to be.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Basham at 281 worries me for an Edge.   Too much of a DT/DE tweener for my liking.  

I remember speaking to you about him earlier this season. I don't really like Basham's game at the pro level. He's not a guy that is going to threaten the edge. 

1 minute ago, section314 said:

I guess the interviews and meetings with teams?

I can understand that, but it's a matter of perception now and narratives.

When he announced he was going, he (or his people) could've said from the start "We all understand it's weird year because of the pandemic, so we figure the Senior Bowl is a good way to interview with teams and scouts since the combine is seemingly off."

Now it looks like you're scared to weigh-in and scared to compete. Najee suited up today against the advice of his agent and comes off as a confident, competitive m-fer for doing so. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

When he announced he was going, he (or his people) could've said from the start "We all understand it's weird year because of the pandemic, so we figure the Senior Bowl is a good way to interview with teams and scouts since the combine is seemingly off."

Now it looks like you're scared to weigh-in and scared to compete. Najee suited up today against the advice of his agent and comes off as a confident, competitive m-fer for doing so. 

All these guys are at the highest level of competitiveness that you think you would have to basically tie them up to stop them from playing. I don't get it either.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, section314 said:

All these guys are at the highest level of competitiveness that you think you would have to basically tie them up to stop them from playing. I don't get it either.

Remember that he hurt his hand in the Natty.  I would hope that is the reason he is not practicing.  I also wonder how much influence a kid's agent has on these decisions.  What does he have to gain by playing/practicing,  At least he played the season, unlike Jamarr Chase.

A few guys that I have been following and have showed well at the Senior Bowl so far:

Larry Rountree III - RB- Missouri

Ben Mason - FB- Michigan

Hunter Long - TE - Boston College

He was someone I thought would be there in the 3rd or 4th but may be moving into the late 2nd round conversation.

Chris Evans - RB - Michigan

Promising talent but limited usage in college.  Great hands and route running for a RB.  Was suspended for 1 year.  Could be a 6th round target.  

Demetric Felton - WR/RB - UCLA

Could play both WR and RB, similar to how the 49ers use Deebo Samuel.  The clip below shows his route running ability.  He has been making a few of these highlight clips so far at the Senior Bowl.

Cade Johnson - WR - South Dakota State

Even though the clip below shows an amazing one handed grab off of a deep throw, Johnson is a YAC guy.

Last, a video put together by Rivals of the one-on-one WR vs DB portion of the day:

Watching the film the two guys I liked the best in those 1 on 1 videos were Toney and Powell.   Toney has the best grasp of working with tempo in his routes which is good, and he has great feet, His legs get a little all over the place, but he can train that with a good footwork trainer (most guys use footwork king), and he needs some release work as he doesnt do a good enough job forcing the defender to move laterally.  Powell had some really great sells, used tempo well and had a good release or two, but he has to use his hands better to get guys off him, guy got into his chest a lot and when they were running with him he didnt get hands off. 

• Upvote 1

FWIW and I didnt see a lot of his film today, but from what I did see it seemed Felton ran some of the best routes on the day.  Aside from Toney who did a good job overall (id like ot see him come down with that one catch), I thought Watkins had a really nice corner route, i thought Grimes showed really nice feet, but he just gains zero ground on his releases and sometimes he was trying moves there was no reason to do (he also doesnt bend at the hips well). 

Should say I did not see the national team 1v1 i believe just the american team ones that were posted here and a few other clips. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I’ll play devils advocate; why, what does he have to prove? He won the Heisman at a position that’s extremely difficult to do so, in the most difficult division in NCAA football. what does he stand to gain? Is there a version of life where runs drills at the seniorbowl and leaves skeptics feeling reassured? No. He sewn that up. 1st rnd grade. 

It’s pretty common that top 10 types who left their senior with a cherry on top don’t do seniorbowls. He’ll do the measurable stuff at his pro day

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I’ll play devils advocate; why, what does he have to prove? He won the Heisman at a position that’s extremely difficult to do so, in the most difficult division in NCAA football. what does he stand to gain? Is there a version of life where bud drills at the senior ball leave skeptics feeling reassured? No. He sewn that up. 1st rnd grade. 

It’s pretty common that top 10 types who left their senior with a cherry on top don’t do seniorbowls. He’ll do the measurable stuff at his pro day

Alright, let's argue ;).

So what pisses me off, is that my assumption when I read that dude was going to the Senior bowl was this:

• People are saying DeVonta Smith is too small, not fast enough and he's about to go show people what-the-f***-is-up against the nation's best cornerbacks (that are seniors) in 1 on 1's.  

I've got no issue with him not participating in the Senior Bowl. I've got no issue with Chase or Sewell or Farley sitting out 2020 - it's the most rational move they could've made. 

For me, the bad advice or judgment on his part (or more likely, his agent), is not making that clear when he announced intention to go. Granted, that might have been somehow implied, or he might've told teams, I got no idea. I'm not on the twitters, bruh.

But if I was his representation, I would've made it clear in the announcement that I'm going because I want to speak with teams/interview etc, not to be an active participant.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I got my expectations up for some DeVonta Smith 1 on 1 drills and now I feel cheated. And the weigh-in thing? I mean, sh*t, we all know your thin - your nickname is the Slim Reaper. So what? If you weigh in now and people give you sh*t, you get a second chance at your pro day - go eat some cheeseburgers for a few weeks. 

15 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Alright, let's argue ;).

So what pisses me off, is that my assumption when I read that dude was going to the Senior bowl was this:

• People are saying DeVonta Smith is too small, not fast enough and he's about to go show people what-the-f***-is-up against the nation's best cornerbacks (that are seniors) in 1 on 1's.  

I've got no issue with him not participating in the Senior Bowl. I've got no issue with Chase or Sewell or Farley sitting out 2020 - it's the most rational move they could've made. 

For me, the bad advice or judgment on his part (or more likely, his agent), is not making that clear when he announced intention to go. Granted, that might have been somehow implied, or he might've told teams, I got no idea. I'm not on the twitters, bruh.

But if I was his representation, I would've made it clear in the announcement that I'm going because I want to speak with teams/interview etc, not to be an active participant.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I got my expectations up for some DeVonta Smith 1 on 1 drills and now I feel cheated. And the weigh-in thing? I mean, sh*t, we all know your thin - your nickname is the Slim Reaper. So what? If you weigh in now and people give you sh*t, you get a second chance at your pro day - go eat some cheeseburgers for a few weeks. 

Fans’ point of view. 

nothing wrong with that. Other people have done similar things in the past and irritated me as well. 

But you know who this doesn't irritate? GMs and their staff. They’re happy to have an added opportunity to interview and interact with a Heisman.

although many different players from many different programs are able to use the senior bowl to their benefit, the ones from smaller schools/outside of power 5 especially can’t afford to pass on a chance to compete, for obvious reasons 

• Upvote 2

On 1/26/2021 at 12:24 PM, kdels62 said:

Think Tarell Basham was a 4.7 and 7.27 @ 270.  He is a FA though and Indy gave up on him in the 4-3.  I don't know about Carlos

12 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Alright, let's argue ;).

The day he accepted his invite, Jim Nagy, head of the Sr Bowl, immediately tweeted that he would not participate in any on-field drills or practices.

It seems like a lot of draft twitter missed this, because there was a ton of buzz generated by writers/evaluators about the excitement of seeing him on the field.  I saw the origiinaly note from Nagy and knew he was just going to meet teams.

I don't think this was on him or his team.  Seemed like some of the writers missed it and talked up how much fun it would be to see him this week.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Paradis said:

although many different players from many different programs are able to use the senior bowl to their benefit, the ones from smaller schools/outside of power 5 especially can’t afford to pass on a chance to compete, for obvious reasons 

This is the kind of guy I like to hear/read about at the Senior Bowl.. OL from Wisconisn-Whitewater.  Has apparently had a couple of really good days - including this rep against Patrick Jones.

• Upvote 4