Trent Williams

This is more directed for the Pro-Sewell advocates. Why wouldn't the same posse like to target Trent Williams? He was lights out last season playing under the same system despite playing with JAG backup QBs. 

I hear a lot of talk how great it would be to have two dominant tackles, however it's only coming from the vision of drafting one 2nd overall. Me personally, I would rather Morton from Carolina, however I'm curious to know how Williams name hasn't pop up not one time especially after many including myself wanted him badly when on the block in Washington?

32 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

There’re several good FA OL this year. In addition, this draft is derp at OL.

Given our needs, it makes absolutely no sense to draft a second franchise LT only to play him at RT... when you can draft very good RT later in the draft. 

This sounds like a great thing but I feel like this OL draft is mediocre so I’m confused.

43 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Re: Sewell

Young and cheap vs expensive and old.

Williams will probably want a contender.

Any All-Pro player who hits the market is going to be old and expensive. But if you're into picking Sewell at 2, then you're all for having Sam under center and not using the pick to upgrade the position. So instead of helping Sam get ride of the ball and picking Chase, Pitts, Waddle or Chase with Williams and Becton blocking for him. We'll entertain possible getting Juju or giving up a 2nd rounder for one of the top WR who are going to be tagged and traded with an inexperienced Oline but promising OL. Not so sure how I feel about a lack of experience on the line with an already struggling QB.

7 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Any All-Pro player who hits the market is going to be old and expensive. But if you're into picking Sewell at 2, then you're all for having Sam under center and not using the pick to upgrade the position. So instead of helping Sam get ride of the ball and picking Chase, Pitts, Waddle or Chase with Williams and Becton blocking for him. We'll entertain possible getting Juju or giving up a 2nd rounder for one of the top WR who are going to be tagged and traded with an inexperienced Oline but promising OL. Not so sure how I feel about a lack of experience on the line with an already struggling QB.

#2 is not the only option for upgrading at QB.

On 2/23/2021 at 7:53 PM, Greenseed4 said:

He’s only 32. 

I thought he was six years older than that! Yeah, we should absolutely look into signing a pro bowl RT that can play LT in a pinch, and both at a high level in a familiar scheme. 

He'll be 35 once the Jets are ready to contend.

As a Sewell advocate.  Here is my 2 cents. 

I would love to trade back from #2 if offered fair compensation.  But it is so expensive for teams to do it that I do not believe that anybody is going to make the offer.  I think we will be forced to pick.  When that happens, I must think about taking the best player.  We must build the Jets inside out and that means the trenches.  Next to wide receiver, our offensive line is the weakest unit on the team.  But solid wide receivers can be found in the second round or late in the first.  Each and every year too.  They also have a historically high bust rate.  Offensive tackles fail due to injury or a failure to stay in shape or both.  In this year's draft, everybody agrees that the best lineman is Sewell.  The non-scouts who sell by the clicked link are trying to say otherwise but in the end he there are only two elite talents available in this year's draft and that is Lawrence and Sewell.  The difference between 3-12 is not that much to be honest.  To me there  is no other choice.  

As for signing silverback, I would love it.  To trade back from #2 with an on the trade card offer and sign Trent Williams would be fantastic.  A magic potion straight from the genie's bottle.  But I know he is not going to sign with a bottom dweller like the Jets, he is going to a contender.  And while I want to trade down, it is simply not going to happen.