Jump to content

Idle thoughts from a long suffering Jets fan


Recommended Posts

I am also a lurker in my late 40's and I am 100% with you. I can't promise Darnold will be a FQB but I don't think we can really assess him after those 3 years. This is a shame and totally on Maccagnan who failed so much in his drafts, and on the Johnsons who kept him just for one last draft... 

But this is a forum and everyone has very strong opinions. I don' t give any value for posts stating that we have the worst team in the NFL by far, Deshaun is a 4-win QB or other craps. If we get Deshaun for a decent price (#2 2022 1st and a conditional 2nd 2022 that becomes a 1st if we go to playoff) I believe we will be a good team. If we look at NFC West going from worst to one of the most competitive division in only a few years, the Browns from terrible to winning a playoff game in 4 years...

J-E-T-S Jets ! Jets ! Jets ! 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jetluv58 said:

I was with you until the part about keeping the 32nd ranked QB in the league because he’s a nice kid. And the part about not expecting a winning season. 

That, and suggesting Mahomes wouldn’t be good; ultimately because Darnold hasn’t been.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Badom said:

This is a shame and totally on Maccagnan who failed so much in his drafts, and on the Johnsons who kept him just for one last draft... 

Absolutely correct! The jettison of MacDaddy should have happened after the 2nd failed draft.

6 hours ago, MaybeOneDay said:

- I was so dumbfounded and irritated at that meaningless win vs. the Rams, not necessarily because I was so gung-ho to add Trevor Lawrence, rather I was dreaming of the treasure trove we could have gotten in return for trading 1st overall.  Think what we could have gotten from the Jaguars to trade down to 2?  Now think what we might still get by trading down from 2....What a missed opportunity, I fear.  

That’s why Greg Williams should not have been fired. He was doing everything in his power to tank for Lawrence (Raiders game). If we kept him we pick #1 in 8 weeks. Even if we lost Rams game, the Browns win would have cost us TL. The players showed up those 2 games. Cant be mad at that! Gase & Williams were our only line of defense for the 0-16 that would have gotten us TL.

I don’t think any fan base wants that!!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
That’s why Greg Williams should not have been fired. He was doing everything in his power to tank for Lawrence (Raiders game). If we kept him we pick #1 in 8 weeks. Even if we lost Rams game, the Browns win would have cost us TL. The players showed up those 2 games. Cant be mad at that! Gase & Williams were our only line of defense for the 0-16 that would have gotten us TL.
I don’t think any fan base wants that!!
Serious question... were you the least bit surprised we lost the tank ? It was the oictureeee of Jetsy and many if us including myself predicted exactly what occurred.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Serious question... were you the least bit surprised we lost the tank ? It was the oictureeee of Jetsy and many if us including myself predicted exactly what occurred.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app
 

No, not at all. Self-inflicted wounds are our specialty! Whether it’s drafting the wrong players( see Jets draft compilation video) wrong FO personnel, coaches or medical/training staff (too many players rushed back/injured). We always find a way to screw the pooch!

There is a small glimmer of hope with JD. We’ll see how last draft players turn out and how he handles #2 & the Qb situation can set the stage for years of mediocrity or success. That’s why Watson at a fair price is my path selection moving forward. Others disagree & that’s ok.... in the end it will all fall on JD.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MaybeOneDay said:

Hello.  I am a long suffering Jets fan, as are many of you, I'm sure.  Now in my mid-late 40's, I can only hope that some day, my loyalty to the Jets is paid off.

I've been lurking on Jets Nation for a long time.  Must say, this place is Awesome.  Kudos to Max, his team, and all of my fellow Jets fans for making this a special place.

I felt like sharing some idle thoughts:

- It really grinds my gears hearing about potentially adding guys like DeShaun Watson and JuJu Smith-Schuster to the team, when we simply could have drafted them a few years ago.

- It really highlights just how mismanaged and inept this team has been over the last 10, especially the last 5 years.  Just Awful...we've stunk at GM, we've stunk at coaching, and we've obviously stunk on the field.

- I almost quit being a fan when we beat the Rams. So typical Jets to win that game.  I pray those days are behind us.

- I agree with something I read here last week, in some ways, it feels like the transition from 1996 to 1997...not exactly the same, but that sensation that some of this crap may be behind us, and we may just have some competent folks running the show from now on.

- Very encouraged by what I've observed from Joe Douglas so far.   In my opinion, he's already proven himself better than our previous few GM's.  Wouldn't it be nice if he proves to be a Top 10, maybe even Top 5 GM in the NFL?  Dare I dream?

- Cautiously hopeful about our new Coach, Robert Saleh.  Love the energy he brings, the passion.   Seems to have the respect of many in the league.  I can't wait to see what he can do.

- Look, I get it, Darnold hasn't looked very good these last few seasons.  To be honest, not many on the team have.  The team was a dumpster fire under Gase.  I bet Patrick Mahomes wouldn't have looked very good playing QB for the Jets these last few years.  I WANT Darnold to play well...and I WANT him to do it for the Jets.  I am not opposed to upgrading, but honestly, I was excited when they drafted him.  From all accounts, he seems like a good kid, well respected by his teammates, coachable...he seems to have a lot of good qualities.  He's also still very young.  It would be a shame if Gase ruined this kid.   I urge his doubters to go back and watch some his games his rookie year.  In particular, the Colts and Packers games stick out in my mind.  The kid you saw play those games was not the same one you saw play the last 2 years.  Plus, if you sell Darnold off right now, what are you getting back? Unless they are adding DeShaun Watson or Russell Wilson to this team, I say it's in the Jets best interest to keep Darnold and let him compete with whoever else is brought in.  Be it a rookie, or vet free agent / trade.  It would be such a Jets thing to do to trade him off for a 2nd round pick then watch him blossom on another team. 

- I was so dumbfounded and irritated at that meaningless win vs. the Rams, not necessarily because I was so gung-ho to add Trevor Lawrence, rather I was dreaming of the treasure trove we could have gotten in return for trading 1st overall.  Think what we could have gotten from the Jaguars to trade down to 2?  Now think what we might still get by trading down from 2....What a missed opportunity, I fear.  

- Whatever the Jets do in Free Agency / Trades, they still need to build the team through the Draft.  It's not going to happen overnight.  My hope is last year's draft was the start...this year's will continue the build, and we see drastic improvement in our level of play.  I want this team to compete, play hard, play smart, and start to do things the right way.  Not expecting a winning season, although that would be nice.  I just want to have a reasonable chance in most every game this year, and win our share.   

Thanks for reading.  Go Jets

Pros don’t play to lose games. But sorry a Jets win broke your heart 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jetluv58 said:

I was with you until the part about keeping the 32nd ranked QB in the league because he’s a nice kid. And the part about not expecting a winning season. 

It was a great post until that. But I do agree. Want Sam to play better next year, just on a different team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Serious question... were you the least bit surprised we lost the tank ? It was the oictureeee of Jetsy and many if us including myself predicted exactly what occurred.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app
 

That would have disappointed me too if I believed tanking was a real thing in the NFL.  Or that the Jets were really a 0 win team.  Never thought they were, never thought they would finish winless.  

My hope was that no one would be worse, unfortunately Jax was

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MaybeOneDay said:

Hello.  I am a long suffering Jets fan, as are many of you, I'm sure.  Now in my mid-late 40's, I can only hope that some day, my loyalty to the Jets is paid off.

I've been lurking on Jets Nation for a long time.  Must say, this place is Awesome.  Kudos to Max, his team, and all of my fellow Jets fans for making this a special place.

I felt like sharing some idle thoughts:

- It really grinds my gears hearing about potentially adding guys like DeShaun Watson and JuJu Smith-Schuster to the team, when we simply could have drafted them a few years ago.

- It really highlights just how mismanaged and inept this team has been over the last 10, especially the last 5 years.  Just Awful...we've stunk at GM, we've stunk at coaching, and we've obviously stunk on the field.

- I almost quit being a fan when we beat the Rams. So typical Jets to win that game.  I pray those days are behind us.

- I agree with something I read here last week, in some ways, it feels like the transition from 1996 to 1997...not exactly the same, but that sensation that some of this crap may be behind us, and we may just have some competent folks running the show from now on.

- Very encouraged by what I've observed from Joe Douglas so far.   In my opinion, he's already proven himself better than our previous few GM's.  Wouldn't it be nice if he proves to be a Top 10, maybe even Top 5 GM in the NFL?  Dare I dream?

- Cautiously hopeful about our new Coach, Robert Saleh.  Love the energy he brings, the passion.   Seems to have the respect of many in the league.  I can't wait to see what he can do.

- Look, I get it, Darnold hasn't looked very good these last few seasons.  To be honest, not many on the team have.  The team was a dumpster fire under Gase.  I bet Patrick Mahomes wouldn't have looked very good playing QB for the Jets these last few years.  I WANT Darnold to play well...and I WANT him to do it for the Jets.  I am not opposed to upgrading, but honestly, I was excited when they drafted him.  From all accounts, he seems like a good kid, well respected by his teammates, coachable...he seems to have a lot of good qualities.  He's also still very young.  It would be a shame if Gase ruined this kid.   I urge his doubters to go back and watch some his games his rookie year.  In particular, the Colts and Packers games stick out in my mind.  The kid you saw play those games was not the same one you saw play the last 2 years.  Plus, if you sell Darnold off right now, what are you getting back? Unless they are adding DeShaun Watson or Russell Wilson to this team, I say it's in the Jets best interest to keep Darnold and let him compete with whoever else is brought in.  Be it a rookie, or vet free agent / trade.  It would be such a Jets thing to do to trade him off for a 2nd round pick then watch him blossom on another team. 

- I was so dumbfounded and irritated at that meaningless win vs. the Rams, not necessarily because I was so gung-ho to add Trevor Lawrence, rather I was dreaming of the treasure trove we could have gotten in return for trading 1st overall.  Think what we could have gotten from the Jaguars to trade down to 2?  Now think what we might still get by trading down from 2....What a missed opportunity, I fear.  

- Whatever the Jets do in Free Agency / Trades, they still need to build the team through the Draft.  It's not going to happen overnight.  My hope is last year's draft was the start...this year's will continue the build, and we see drastic improvement in our level of play.  I want this team to compete, play hard, play smart, and start to do things the right way.  Not expecting a winning season, although that would be nice.  I just want to have a reasonable chance in most every game this year, and win our share.   

Thanks for reading.  Go Jets

Is this your way to avoid paying a psychiatrist ?

See the source image

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MaybeOneDay said:

Hello.  I am a long suffering Jets fan, as are many of you, I'm sure.  Now in my mid-late 40's, I can only hope that some day, my loyalty to the Jets is paid off.

I've been lurking on Jets Nation for a long time.  Must say, this place is Awesome.  Kudos to Max, his team, and all of my fellow Jets fans for making this a special place.

I felt like sharing some idle thoughts:

- It really grinds my gears hearing about potentially adding guys like DeShaun Watson and JuJu Smith-Schuster to the team, when we simply could have drafted them a few years ago.

- It really highlights just how mismanaged and inept this team has been over the last 10, especially the last 5 years.  Just Awful...we've stunk at GM, we've stunk at coaching, and we've obviously stunk on the field.

- I almost quit being a fan when we beat the Rams. So typical Jets to win that game.  I pray those days are behind us.

- I agree with something I read here last week, in some ways, it feels like the transition from 1996 to 1997...not exactly the same, but that sensation that some of this crap may be behind us, and we may just have some competent folks running the show from now on.

- Very encouraged by what I've observed from Joe Douglas so far.   In my opinion, he's already proven himself better than our previous few GM's.  Wouldn't it be nice if he proves to be a Top 10, maybe even Top 5 GM in the NFL?  Dare I dream?

- Cautiously hopeful about our new Coach, Robert Saleh.  Love the energy he brings, the passion.   Seems to have the respect of many in the league.  I can't wait to see what he can do.

- Look, I get it, Darnold hasn't looked very good these last few seasons.  To be honest, not many on the team have.  The team was a dumpster fire under Gase.  I bet Patrick Mahomes wouldn't have looked very good playing QB for the Jets these last few years.  I WANT Darnold to play well...and I WANT him to do it for the Jets.  I am not opposed to upgrading, but honestly, I was excited when they drafted him.  From all accounts, he seems like a good kid, well respected by his teammates, coachable...he seems to have a lot of good qualities.  He's also still very young.  It would be a shame if Gase ruined this kid.   I urge his doubters to go back and watch some his games his rookie year.  In particular, the Colts and Packers games stick out in my mind.  The kid you saw play those games was not the same one you saw play the last 2 years.  Plus, if you sell Darnold off right now, what are you getting back? Unless they are adding DeShaun Watson or Russell Wilson to this team, I say it's in the Jets best interest to keep Darnold and let him compete with whoever else is brought in.  Be it a rookie, or vet free agent / trade.  It would be such a Jets thing to do to trade him off for a 2nd round pick then watch him blossom on another team. 

- I was so dumbfounded and irritated at that meaningless win vs. the Rams, not necessarily because I was so gung-ho to add Trevor Lawrence, rather I was dreaming of the treasure trove we could have gotten in return for trading 1st overall.  Think what we could have gotten from the Jaguars to trade down to 2?  Now think what we might still get by trading down from 2....What a missed opportunity, I fear.  

- Whatever the Jets do in Free Agency / Trades, they still need to build the team through the Draft.  It's not going to happen overnight.  My hope is last year's draft was the start...this year's will continue the build, and we see drastic improvement in our level of play.  I want this team to compete, play hard, play smart, and start to do things the right way.  Not expecting a winning season, although that would be nice.  I just want to have a reasonable chance in most every game this year, and win our share.   

Thanks for reading.  Go Jets

A hell of an effort in your post. I agree with most of what you said 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When we pass on a QB to trade down and the Pats grab one of the big 4 I suspect Jets fans, including myself, are going to be looking up at Buffalo, Miami and NE for the next dozen years.  

I don't want a nice kid with athletic talent.  I want a great passer who's a little edgy and nasty and a a stone cold killer. 

Good post and as someone who goes back to Namath I'm still pissed we passed on Marino for a nice kid. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don’t identify with this “long suffering” and “poor me” thing some Jets fans are content to project. Last thing I want people to think of me is that I’m some sad sack who draws upon the Jets for my sense of self.

I root for the Jets, because I picked them as a kid. They suck, I get a little frustrated for them and then laugh. They win, I cheer and move on. None of it affects me though.

Passion and fan hood are not defined by how willing you are to be distraught over things you cannot control.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

No offense, btw. I’m just sorta thinking out loud at what makes different people tick. Not meant as judgement. To each their own... I just feel empathy for those that are really affected by the Jets and want them to be less unhappy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jetluv58 said:

I was with you until the part about keeping the 32nd ranked QB in the league because he’s a nice kid. And the part about not expecting a winning season. 

This being said, if we do keep Sam I hope he kicks ass and proves me wrong in every way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I just don’t identify with this “long suffering” and “poor me” thing some Jets fans are content to project. Last thing I want people to think of me is that I’m some sad sack who draws upon the Jets for my sense of self.

I root for the Jets, because I picked them as a kid. They suck, I get a little frustrated for them and then laugh. They win, I cheer and move on. None of it affects me though.

Passion and fan hood are not defined by how willing you are to be distraught over things you cannot control.

I hear ya.  I can and do compartmentalize.  I myself am not a long suffering or poor me person, not by a long shot.  

I am a very passionate Jets fan, and a very knowledgeable football fan, so within that realm comes these feelings of pain and suffering.   Wanting the Jets to very much do the right thing, and then watching powerless as they do the exact opposite.  It sucks, and we fans deserve a better product, at least one of these years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...