Worst Move of The First Round

1 minute ago, JXN_JET said:

idk if Lance would be there at 12 but yea I would hate if the Jets gave up so much for a qb who probably won't play for a full season or two. Especially when they look like legitimate contenders when everyone is healthy. 

even if Lance was not there Mac Jones or possibly even a big trade out existed for a team with a Good QB and a SB caliber roster. They had so many options to really improve this team and they chose to wait a year with a developmental QB and lose 2 years of first round picks

• Upvote 1

Agreed, I actually think they wanted Mac Jones and then chickened out.  (The look on  their faces when Mac Jones 1st pass of his pro day hit the roof was amusing.)  Also funny thing from that pro day is someone on here made a big deal of Bellichick shaking his head after seeing a missed Mac Jones pass.

Another bad one was Jacksonville taking Etienne.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Dolphins, without all that trade around, could have had Pitts and Harris.

Not sure they did better than that, tbqh.

Raiders taking Leatherwood (who I liked) feels like a reach.

Carolina picking Horn (not that Horn is bad at all per se) instead of Offense to help Sam is a bit of a headshaker to me.

Carolina has some dynamic players and Mc Caffery will certainly help Sam who can repeatedly dump off to him to pad his otherwise terrible stats

• Haha 1

If Trey Lance looks like a franchise QB by the time Miami spends that 2023 first rounder, no one's really gonna care. Lance should be happy. He couldn't ask for a much better situation to develop in. 

Those Garoppolo to NE rumors were obviously a big steaming pile of bull****, too. 

• Upvote 3

Agreed on Etienne. That team has too many holes, and spending a premium pick on a RB when they had unbelievable production last yr from am undrafted rookie RB seems a bit foolish to me. It's definitely a flashy pick and you know the fanbase will love it, but I definitely think they could have gone in a different direction 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Agreed, I actually think they wanted Mac Jones and then chickened out.  (The look on  their faces when Mac Jones 1st pass of his pro day hit the roof was amusing.)  Also funny thing from that pro day is someone on here made a big deal of Bellichick shaking his head after seeing a missed Mac Jones pass.

Another bad one was Jacksonville taking Etienne.

A familiar RB to help Lawrence at the next level ? Etienne will be a great safety option for Lawrence and they are familiar with one another I think that's smart move by Meyer.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Dolphins, without all that trade around, could have had Pitts and Harris.

Not sure they did better than that, tbqh.

Raiders taking Leatherwood (who I liked) feels like a reach.

Carolina picking Horn (not that Horn is bad at all per se) instead of Offense to help Sam is a bit of a headshaker to me.

While I always like 'reunited elite college players' stories, did Jacksonville really need Etienne when they had a 1,000 RB in Robinson?  Can't fault them for wanting to support their new QB at least.  Robinson/Etienne should be a hell of a RB tandem.

I agree with all of this, except Etienne. 

Dolphins wet themselves. Raiders reached hard. Carolina repeated the mistakes of Jets past.

There were only a few game-breaking offensive players in this first round. Etienne was one of them. Put him in the backfield, put him in the slot. Score points. I can't hate on that pick, especially when they have 157 more picks to make. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, slats said:

If Trey Lance looks like a franchise QB by the time Miami spends that 2023 first rounder, no one's really gonna care. Lance should be happy. He couldn't ask for a much better situation to develop in. 

Those Garoppolo to NE rumors were obviously a big steaming pile of bull****, too. 

True but what if Garoppolo finally stays healthy and the Niners start lighting it up with him ? I understand Lance could be a Good QB someday with a lot of upside but Mac Jones was touted to be the most Pro Ready QB so who better to step in on a SB caliber team if Garoppolo fails miserably Lance or Jones who would have also been there at 12

6 minutes ago, Cp561 said:

Agreed on Etienne. That team has too many holes, and spending a premium pick on a RB when they had unbelievable production last yr from am undrafted rookie RB seems a bit foolish to me. It's definitely a flashy pick and you know the fanbase will love it, but I definitely think they could have gone in a different direction 

That move was made purely to help move Lawrence along with a check down option and thats going to be huge for him. Good insurance for your young QB. They have numerous picks to solidify the OL coming up and thats what will define this draft for them. If they ignore OL that would be the stupid move not grabbing Etienne

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

What is most comical is in some draft grades the miners get an A and the jetabget a B for the respective web picks. How does that make sense of the Jets stayed put for the higher rated qb and the niners gave up a haul for the lower rated qb just one pick later?

Because the national media hates the Jets and always will. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Smashmouth said:

True but what if Garoppolo finally stays healthy and the Niners start lighting it up with him ? I understand Lance could be a Good QB someday with a lot of upside but Mac Jones was touted to be the most Pro Ready QB so who better to step in on a SB caliber team if Garoppolo fails miserably Lance or Jones who would have also been there at 12

It seems to me that the 49ers feel Garoppolo has pretty much reached his ceiling, and it's just not high enough. I never really understood the Mac Jones rumors. Jones is basically another Garoppolo. The only benefit there would've been financial, whereas I'm sure they see Lance as a guy with the physical abilities to be special. It's a huge gamble, though, don't get me wrong. A small school prospect with 17 starts under his belt? That's a big balls move. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

What is most comical is in some draft grades the miners get an A and the jetabget a B for the respective web picks. How does that make sense of the Jets stayed put for the higher rated qb and the niners gave up a haul for the lower rated qb just one pick later?

I presume the individual grader doesn't like Wilson and loves Lance? 

Only real way you end up with those respective grades I can think of.  

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I presume the individual grader doesn't like Wilson and loves Lance? 

Only real way you end up with those respective grades I can think of.  

I mean i guess maybe but did you see a single scout or evaluator that had lance over Wilson? I saw Ryan clark(gee I wonder why) and that’s about it

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

It seems to me that the 49ers feel Garoppolo has pretty much reached his ceiling, and it's just not high enough. I never really understood the Mac Jones rumors. Jones is basically another Garoppolo. The only benefit there would've been financial, whereas I'm sure they see Lance as a guy with the physical abilities to be special. It's a huge gamble, though, don't get me wrong. A small school prospect with 17 starts under his belt? That's a big balls move. 

Garoppolos ceiling was taking them to a SB getting out to a lead and not being able to secure it in the 4th. As I always say if you can't keep the Elite QB's off the field in the 4th nursing a lead you can't win  the big games

Joe Tryon and Eric Stokes not in 1st round for me..  Etienne picked in the 1st round to be a 3rd down back doesn't make sense.  They had bigger needs to fill with that pick.   Jets were rumored to be interested in Payton Turner in 3rd round.  He's over drafted too.  Jamin Davis not a 1st rounder either.

Apparently 49ers see it differently then I do.  And think he's going to be good to go after just 1 year holding a clipboard.  But...IMO...Trey Lance should sit probably for two years.  And you don't give up that much draft capital to get to #3 position of the draft for that. 

• Upvote 1

Raiders as usual was awful.

Agree on Dolphins.  Why take waddle over Smith?  Smith is clearly the better player.  Reminds me of when bellichek took sony michel over nick chubb.  Dont overthink it.  And Phillips wasnt on my board.  Heck of a player but the concussion history is too big a risk.  This kid was told to retire in college by UCLA medical staff.

35 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

San Fran moving from 12 to 3 giving up 2 firsts and a third to get a guy they could have drafted at 12. Dumb Move.

This move basically says they are giving Garoppolo a few years to do something while Lance hopefully develops. They could have easily done this by not trading at all still going with Garoppolo and getting a premium player at 12 this way if Garoppolo does not work out they can make a QB choice next year or the year after keeping their 2 number 1's and third.

They could have traded back in the first and got Najee Harris and accumulated more picks . I say this because their vaunted zone blocking scheme does well during a game but when they needed it most to secure a SB win vs Mahomes and KC they didn't have a runner to shut that game down when the box was stacked . Sure you can accumulate yards during the season and during games but its obvious you need a superior back to run the ball in the 4th when the RB by committee fails on an epic scale. This league still pushes the bad value of a RB in the first which is terribly flawed logic all while the smart teams like the Steelers jump all over Harris ...tell me the Steelers are a bad drafting team ? 

I hope to god the Jets get a solid every down back soon to not only do what I stated above but to take the pressure off Zack Wilson to ignore this would be a big mistake. 

After yesterday I really think that Steve Young was correct in that San Francisco traded up to 3 for Zach Wilson, thinking the Jets would not take him. 

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Raiders as usual was awful.

Agree on Dolphins.  Why take waddle over Smith?  Smith is clearly the better player.  Reminds me of when bellichek took sony michel over nick chubb.  Dont overthink it.  And Phillips wasnt on my board.  Heck of a player but the concussion history is too big a risk.  This kid was told to retire in college by UCLA medical staff.

Because  Smith is 166 pounds and that scares the crap out of some people sure he's fast but the pro game is a different animal all together and you know that to be the case. Safeties hitting this kid are going to feel like Defensive Tackles

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

After yesterday I really think that Steve Young was correct in that San Francisco traded up to 3 for Zach Wilson, thinking the Jets would not take him. 

early on this could have been true but keep in mind that trade by San Fran was also rumored to be first offered to the Jets

28 minutes ago, slats said:

Agree fully.  I would imagine the 49'ers were expecting Lance to take a few years to develop.  They have the ideal circumstances to develop an uncut gem like Lance.  They can still "win now" with Garoppolo while preparing Lance for the future.  

45 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

San Fran moving from 12 to 3 giving up 2 firsts and a third to get a guy they could have drafted at 12. Dumb Move.

This move basically says they are giving Garoppolo a few years to do something while Lance hopefully develops. They could have easily done this by not trading at all still going with Garoppolo and getting a premium player at 12 this way if Garoppolo does not work out they can make a QB choice next year or the year after keeping their 2 number 1's and third.

They could have traded back in the first and got Najee Harris and accumulated more picks . I say this because their vaunted zone blocking scheme does well during a game but when they needed it most to secure a SB win vs Mahomes and KC they didn't have a runner to shut that game down when the box was stacked . Sure you can accumulate yards during the season and during games but its obvious you need a superior back to run the ball in the 4th when the RB by committee fails on an epic scale. This league still pushes the bad value of a RB in the first which is terribly flawed logic all while the smart teams like the Steelers jump all over Harris ...tell me the Steelers are a bad drafting team ? 

I hope to god the Jets get a solid every down back soon to not only do what I stated above but to take the pressure off Zack Wilson to ignore this would be a big mistake. 

Not sure if it was the worst pick, but the Giants pick of Toney was sort of a head-scratcher.  They got some value by trading down, but why take that WR when they have so many hoes to fill and there were much higher rated players on the board.   That was an odd pick. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Agree fully.  I would imagine the 49'ers were expecting Lance to take a few years to develop.  They have the ideal circumstances to develop an uncut gem like Lance.  They can still "win now" with Garoppolo while preparing Lance for the future.  

and if Jimmy fails you're relying on a project with no first round picks for the next 2 years. Fields or Jones would have made sense to me not a guy whop has not played in 2 years

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

Not sure if it was the worst pick, but the Giants pick of Toney was sort of a head-scratcher.  They got some value by trading down, but why take that WR when they have so many hoes to fill and there were much higher rated players on the board.   That was an odd pick. 

That my friend was awesome

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

A familiar RB to help Lawrence at the next level ? Etienne will be a great safety option for Lawrence and they are familiar with one another I think that's smart move by Meyer.

They have a guy that ran for 1100 yards and had 10 tds last year that was an UDFA.  Rb to Qb familiarity is a bizarre hill to die on. 

Etienne is good, but a strange use of resources.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1