What is funnier in this Panthers 1st day of mini camp article?

It's interesting no one has mentioned Troy Aikmann. He's in the HOF and struggled worse than Sam his first three years. Josh Allen turned it around his third year, but Sam can't turn it around in his 4th. To quote Joe Biden. "Cmon Man"

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, genot said:

It's interesting no one has mentioned Troy Aikmann. He's in the HOF and struggled worse than Sam his first three years. Josh Allen turned it around his third year, but Sam can't turn it around in his 4th. To quote Joe Biden. "Cmon Man"

Aikman’s an example of the weapons making the QB. Nothing special about that dude at all. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I root for the Jets. I root for their players. Sometimes those players leave and I hope they have success wherever they went. That’s about the extent of it. If they were one of your dad’s thugturds, they could go **** themselves (see: Adams, Jamal), but Darnold was a good guy here. The difference between the 40th and 50th pick of the draft isn’t enough to make me want him to fail. Sorry. 

Darnold can be an MVP… starting in 2022. Real fan versus messageboard hero.

Just now, jgb said:

Darnold can be an MVP… starting in 2022. Real fan versus messageboard hero.

Lol, the amount of ****s I give about who’s a so-called, “real fan,” or not can be counted on zero fingers. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, genot said:

Again you’re conflating. No one is arguing “can’t.” No one. We are arguing really unlikely. A debate all the Darnold defenders don’t want to fight. Smart.

• Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, slats said:

Aikman’s an example of the weapons making the QB. Nothing special about that dude at all. 

His production increased dramatically when his oline was rebuilt. He was a sitting duck the 1st part of his career. As was Sam Darnold

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, jgb said:

Again you’re conflating. No one is arguing “can’t.” No one. We are arguing really unlikely. A debate all the Darnold defenders don’t want to fight. Smart.

If only 20% of QBs turned their career around after bad starts, Darnold comparatively has the best chance of them all. That's my view. Doesn't mean im right. He had no help, on or off the field. I mean there literally wasn't anything on the plus side with the offense the last two years. At least in Carolina he has a slew of receivers and a reliable receiver out of the backfield. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, genot said:

If only 20% of QBs turned their career around after bad starts, Darnold comparatively has the best chance of them all. That's my view. Doesn't mean im right. He had no help, on or off the field. I mean there literally wasn't anything on the plus side with the offense the last two years. At least in Carolina he has a slew of receivers and a reliable receiver out of the backfield. 

Closer to 2% than 20%. Let’s do a friendly charity  bet. It’s pretty clear both sides are dug in and only the results can settle this.

Just now, jgb said:

Closer to 2% than 20%. Let’s do a friendly charity  bet. It’s pretty clear both sides are dug in and only the results can settle this.

Ah. It's only football. I admit on a regular basis i could be wrong. Many on the Darnold sucks side of the block, are just too sure of what Darnolds career outcome will be.

13 minutes ago, genot said:

So let's see.  The examples that support the idea that Darnold will turn things around (several of them dubious, but we'll list them all):

• Jim Plunkett
  • Steve Young
  • Troy Aikman
  • Rich Gannon
  • Drew Brees
  • Ryan Tannehill
  • Josh Allen

Eli Manning and Alex Smith have been mentioned before in other threads, so let's throw him in too.  Why not?

Now, in the span since the merger (works nicely, since Plunkett was taken # 1 overall in 1971, one year after the merger), here is a list of highly drafted QB's who sucked for 3 years and continued to suck (or were out of the league entirely prior to year 3 after early suckage):

• Tim Couch (Pick 1.1, 1999)
  • David Carr (Pick 1.1, 2002)
  • JaMarcus Russell (Pick 1.1, 2007)
  • Sam Bradford (Pick 1.1, 2010)
  • Rick Mirer (Pick 1.2, 1993)
  • Ryan Leaf (Pick 1.2, 1998)
  • Robert Griffin III (Pick 1.2, 2012)
  • Marcus Mariota (Pick 1.2, 2015)
  • Jack Thompson (Pick 1.3, 1979)
  • Heath Shuler (Pick 1.3, 1994)
  • Akili Smith (Pick 1.3, 1999)
  • Joey Harrington (Pick 1.3, 2002)
  • Vince Young (Pick 1.3, 2006)
  • Blake Bortles (Pick 1.3, 2014)
  • Art Schlichter (Pick 1.4, 1982)
  • Mark Sanchez (Pick 1.5, 2009)
  • Rich Campbell (Pick 1.6, 1981)
  • Kelly Stouffer (Pick 1.6, 1987)
  • David Klingler (Pick 1.6, 1992)
  • Todd Blackledge (Pick 1.7, 1983)
  • Andre Ware (Pick 1.7, 1990)
  • Byron Leftwich (Pick 1.7, 2003)
  • Jake Locker (Pick 1.8, 2011)
  • Matt Leinart (Pick 1.10, 2006)
  • Blaine Gabbert (Pick 1.10, 2011)
  • Jerry Tagge (Pick 1.11, 1972)
  • Chuck Long (Pick 1.12, 1986)
  • Cade McNown (Pick 1.12, 1999)
  • Christian Ponder (Pick 1.12, 2011)
  • John Reaves (Pick 1.14, 1972)
  • Dan McGwire (Pick 1.16, 1991)
  • EJ Manuel (Pick 1.16, 2013)
  • Josh Freeman (Pick 1.17, 2009)
  • Steve Pisarkiewicz (Pick 1.19, 1977)
  • Kyle Boller (Pick 1.19, 2003)
  • Rex Grossman (Pick 1.22, 2003)
  • J.P. Losman (Pick 1.22, 2004)
  • Brady Quinn (Pick 1.22, 2007)
  • Brandon Weeden (Pick 1.22, 2012)
  • Johnny Manziel (Pick 1.22, 2014)
  • Steve Fuller (Pick 1.23, 1979)
  • Todd Marinovich (Pick 1.24, 1991)
  • Jason Campbell (Pick 1.25, 2005)
  • Tim Tebow (Pick 1.25, 2010)
  • Jim Druckenmiller (Pick 1.26, 1997)
  • Paxton Lynch (Pick 1.26, 2016)
  • Mark Malone (Pick 1.28, 1980)
  • Patrick Ramsey (Pick 1.32, 2002)
  • Teddy Bridgewater (Pick 1.32, 2014)
  • Dennis Shaw (Pick 2.30, 1970)
  • Mike Elkins (Pick 2.32, 1989)
  • Gary Huff (Pick 2.33, 1973)
  • Browning Nagle (Pick 2.34, 1991)
  • Kevin Kolb (Pick 2.36, 2007)
  • Gene Bradley (Pick 2.37, 1980)
  • Geno Smith (Pick 2.39, 2013)
  • Pat Sullivan (Pick 2.40, 1972)
  • Matt Blundin (Pick 2.40, 1992)
  • John Beck (Pick 2.40, 2007)
  • Oliver Luck (Pick 2.44, 1982)
  • Pat White (Pick 2.44, 2009)
  • Gary Kiethley (Pick 2.45, 1973)
  • Todd Collins (Pick 2.45, 1995)
  • Tony Sacca (Pick 2.46, 1992)
  • Mike Kruczek (Pick 2.47, 1976)
  • Matt Kofler (Pick 2.48, 1982)
  • Jimmy Clausen (Pick 2.48, 2010)
  • Jeb Blount (Pick 2.50, 1976)
  • Matt Cavanaugh (Pick 2.50, 1978)
  • Shaun King (Pick 2.50, 1999)
  • Bill Cappleman (Pick 2.51, 1970)
  • Guy Benjamin (Pick 2.51, 1978)
  • Billy Joe Tolliver (Pick 2.51, 1989)
  • Christian Hackenberg (Pick 2.51, 2016)
  • DeShone Kizer (Pick 2.52, 2017)
  • Glenn Carano (Pick 2.54, 1977)
  • Brock Osweiler (Pick 2.57, 2012)

And we'll probably be able to add Darnold's fellow classmate Josh Rosen to that list very soon.  Next up will be the likes of Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock, and perhaps Daniel Jones and Tua Tagovailoa.

Do you see now how the odds are heavily stacked against Darnold ever becoming anything but a bad QB in the NFL?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

14 minutes ago, genot said:

See above.  It's not 20 %.  Not even close. 

Especially since you can't even include all 9 of the QB's I listed on your side of the argument.  Josh Allen turned it around in year 3, not year 4.  Brees and Tannehill were far, far better QB's than Darnold his first 3 seasons.  And it took Plunkett and Gannon until their 30s to become effective careers.  QB's simply don't get that long in today's NFL.  The rules have never favored QBs like they do now, so if you're going to show something, it'll happen fairly early on in a QB's career.

It's not enough for Darnold to have had a bad roster in order to suggest he'll turn things around.  He has to demonstrate something internally that shows he's a good QB and can put up consistently good performances.  He hasn't.  And it's a safe bet that he won't.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So let's see.  The examples that support the idea that Darnold will turn things around (several of them dubious, but we'll list them all):

• Jim Plunkett
  • Steve Young
  • Troy Aikman
  • Rich Gannon
  • Drew Brees
  • Ryan Tannehill
  • Josh Allen

Eli Manning and Alex Smith have been mentioned before in other threads, so let's throw him in too.  Why not?

Now, in the span since the merger (works nicely, since Plunkett was taken # 1 overall in 1971, one year after the merger), here is a list of highly drafted QB's who sucked for 3 years and continued to suck (or were out of the league entirely prior to year 3 after early suckage):

And we'll probably be able to add Darnold's fellow classmate Josh Rosen to that list very soon.  Next up will be the likes of Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock, and perhaps Daniel Jones and Tua Tagovailoa.

Do you see now how the odds are heavily stacked against Darnold ever becoming anything but a bad QB in the NFL?

Tell us how much you really care. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Tell us how much you really care. 

In demonstrating a concept that is very simple but has been pushed aside by a lot of people on JN for a decade?  I indeed care.  Several here never learned from Sanchez and still haven't, apparently. 

Meanwhile you want to harangue me over Josh Allen while ignoring the 80+ instances of highly drafted, bad QB's staying bad since the merger.  Darnold becoming another Josh Allen is a terrible bet.  Just like it was a bad bet with Sanchez, Geno Smith, Hackenberg, and so many other failed QB's this franchise has drafted.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In demonstrating a concept that is very simple but has been pushed aside by a lot of people on JN for a decade?  I indeed care.  We never learned from Sanchez and several here still haven't apparently. 

Meanwhile you want to harangue me over Josh Allen while ignoring the 80+ instances of bad QB's staying bad since the merger.  Darnold becoming another Josh Allen is a bad bet.  Just like it was a bad bet with Sanchez, Geno Smith, Hackenberg, and so many other failed QB's this franchise has drafted.

Yeah, I’m not gonna be able to match your intensity here… 

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

See above.  It's not 20 %.  Not even close. 

Especially since you can't even include all 9 of the QB's I listed on your side of the argument.  Josh Allen turned it around in year 3, not year 4.  Brees and Tannehill were far, far better QB's than Darnold his first 3 seasons.  And it took Plunkett and Gannon until their 30s to become effective careers.  QB's simply don't get that long in today's NFL.  The rules have never favored QBs like they do now, so if you're going to show something, it'll happen fairly early on in a QB's career.

It's not enough for Darnold to have had a bad roster in order to suggest he'll turn things around.  He has to demonstrate something internally that shows he's a good QB and can put up consistently good performances.  He hasn't.  And it's a safe bet that he won't.  

A lot of those QB's were never top prospects . Some couldn't overcome the injury bug. Some we're head cases, and had lifestyle issues that affected their careers. Yes, based on past history, the percentages ate working against Darnold. I put Darnold at the top of the list of QB's who turned thier careers around, with obvious explanations as to why

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yet you keep coming back to the thread to whine about it still going on, so....

He cares enough to openly hope for CAR’s draft picks now owned by the Jets to be worse to be proven right on a messageboard and to show just how bad the entire team sucked and dragged down poor Sammy. Every Darnold critic said a billion times — we had to, we were accused constantly of not being real fans — that we hope we are wrong when he was a Jet. Pretty obvious who has their priorities straight here.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, genot said:

His production increased dramatically when his oline was rebuilt. He was a sitting duck the 1st part of his career. As was Sam Darnold

Panthers don't have a good offensive line. So if you're counting on that to fix Darnold, you're in for a rude awakening.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, genot said:

A lot of those QB's were never top prospects . Some couldn't overcome the injury bug. Some we're head cases, and had lifestyle issues that affected their careers. Yes, based on past history, the percentages ate working against Darnold. I put Darnold at the top of the list of QB's who turned thier careers around, with obvious explanations as to why

sam got the injury bug too. missed 4 games each of his 3 years.

oh sorry one year it was mono. 

still counts for missed games. not good.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, doitny said:

sam got the injury bug too. missed 4 games each of his 3 years.

oh sorry one year it was mono. 

still counts for missed games. not good.

I agree. Mono was a fluke though. Tim Couch career ended because of injury. That horrible Browns line

2 hours ago, genot said:

To be fair, Troy Aikman wasn't good ever. So no need to mention him at all. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In demonstrating a concept that is very simple but has been pushed aside by a lot of people on JN for a decade?  I indeed care.  Several here never learned from Sanchez and still haven't, apparently. 

Meanwhile you want to harangue me over Josh Allen while ignoring the 80+ instances of highly drafted, bad QB's staying bad since the merger.  Darnold becoming another Josh Allen is a terrible bet.  Just like it was a bad bet with Sanchez, Geno Smith, Hackenberg, and so many other failed QB's this franchise has drafted.

Don't worry, brother. I still have hopes that Josh Allen is a clown and will suck again. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

I root for the Jets. I root for their players. Sometimes those players leave and I hope they have success wherever they went. That’s about the extent of it. If they were one of your dad’s thugturds, they could go **** themselves (see: Adams, Jamal), but Darnold was a good guy here. The difference between the 40th and 50th pick of the draft isn’t enough to make me want him to fail. Sorry. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

I have no reason to take a crap on Darnold, like so many here feel the need to do. He didn’t work out, and now he’s gone. But he was a good soldier who had every right to take a public crap on the Jets substandard organization but decided against it. The positioning of a second round pick isn’t enough for me to root against him this year, either. I’d like to see him do well -especially to further point out just how bad the team he QB’d was- but really don’t care if he doesn’t. He’s not on the Jets anymore. He’s not my problem. 

but do you really root for the Jets? maybe your just a casual fan

cause rooting for a team, i root for the Jets 100%. the play on the field and off. the players they sign and let go.

and whats up with the bold? sounds like you want to spite someone?. who the team you root for? do you know how bad it will look for  " the GM and team you root for " if Sam does well?

the QB decision is the biggest move JD has done in his career. he has to get this right 100% .

Zach AND Sam cant both be good. we would get killed in the media which most wanted to keep Sam. we could have drafted Pitts or traded back and still got Tucker and have 3 1st rd picks next year. we would be much further along if we did that... but thats only if Sam is good. thats why Sam cant be.

i know we have been a joke of a franchise for most of my 40 plus years of being a fan. but i hope that ends with JD and Saleh. 

• Post of the Week 2

7 hours ago, pointman said:

Don't worry, brother. I still have hopes that Josh Allen is a clown and will suck again. 

Well, there is a lot better chance Josh Allen becomes Sam Darnold than Sam Darnold becomes Josh Allen!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, artemusclyde said:

Panthers don't have a good offensive line. So if you're counting on that to fix Darnold, you're in for a rude awakening.

And no TE, and no “true” #1 WR…

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

• Jim Plunkett
  • Steve Young
  • Troy Aikman
  • Rich Gannon
  • Drew Brees
  • Ryan Tannehill
  • Josh Allen

But Sam is such a good kid and only 24 years old!!! Plus Drew Brees did good in NO after beating Philip Rivers (a borderline HOFer himself) twice in camp, getting franchised, and then rejecting a long term deal to stay in San Diego. It’s like, exactly the same situation as Sam!!

• Haha 2