Random find

20 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Sitting around Saturday morning, and my wife randomly puts on an old show on CBS called "Greatest Sports Legends: 1988", and there's a whole section of Don Maynard being interviewed by Michael Jordan. LOL. Actually pretty cool (obviously) because Maynard is criminally underrated and forgotten by Non-Jets NFL fans...

Don Maynard is  NY Jets legend. 

Most appreciated here like every other member of the 1969 NY Jets Super Bowl Champions. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Sitting around Saturday morning, and my wife randomly puts on an old show on CBS called "Greatest Sports Legends: 1988", and there's a whole section of Don Maynard being interviewed by Michael Jordan. LOL. Actually pretty cool (obviously) because Maynard is criminally underrated and forgotten by Non-Jets NFL fans...

About 10 yeas ago, Jets were playing the Bears at Soldier Field and I went to the game, wearing my Maynard 13 jersey.  A Bear fan stops me and asks me when Brad Maynard played for the Jets.  Criminally underrated indeed.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, jgb said:

So if klecko finally gets into hall of fame after 40 years suddenly no longer underrated? Maynard to this day has the highest YPC of any player over 600 catches. To still have this record is incredible. At the time he also held pro records for receptions and yards. He should be in conversation with greatest WRs of all time. Yet he had to wait through almost ten years of eligibility to make the Hall. Old AFL bias.

He also gets shade from some Jets fans for getting outshined by Sauer in SBIII. These fans don’t realize that Maynard dominated in AFL championship (118 yards, 2 TDs) but pulled a hammy in that game and played decoy in SBIII. Maynard also dominated the season 1300 yards, 10 TDs (in only 13 games). Lost to time is the Jets strategy of going run heavy and relying on defense was largely due to Maynard’s injury the severity of which was kept secret until after the SB.

I didn’t realize he had to wait that long. 

he’s very good  no doubt   I didn’t realize about the record still standing  

and I do think klecko is crazy underrated. 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, batman10023 said:

I didn’t realize he had to wait that long. 

he’s very good  no doubt   I didn’t realize about the record still standing  

and I do think klecko is crazy underrated. 

Dude was outrageously fast. There is a YouTube video where he was running the 100 yard dash as part of some competition among NFL players. He got dead last. But what the YouTube video doesn’t show… he was 42 (IIRC) and everyone else was a current player… and it was the finals. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, jgb said:

Dude was outrageously fast. There is a YouTube video where he was running the 100 yard dash as part of some competition among NFL players. He got dead last. But what the YouTube video doesn’t show… he was 42 (I think) and everyone else was a current player… and it was the finals. 

Thats Darrell Green stuff right there. 

Maynard was a badass.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, jgb said:

So if klecko finally gets into hall of fame after 40 years suddenly no longer underrated? Maynard to this day has the highest YPC of any player over 600 catches. To still have this record is incredible. At the time he also held pro records for receptions and yards. He should be in conversation with greatest WRs of all time. Yet he had to wait through almost ten years of eligibility to make the Hall. Old AFL bias.

He also gets shade from some Jets fans for getting outshined by Sauer in SBIII. These fans don’t realize that Maynard dominated in AFL championship (118 yards, 2 TDs) but pulled a hammy in that game and played decoy in SBIII. Maynard also dominated the season 1300 yards, 10 TDs (in only 13 games). Lost to time is the Jets strategy of going run heavy and relying on defense was largely due to Maynard’s injury the severity of which was kept secret until after the SB.

The Jets also went run heavy and used a short passing game because the Colts defense was playing the pass and trying to pressure Namath.  Lost in all the SB III hype over many years as well was that Namath called his own plays and his play calling kept Baltimore guessing all game. The Jets held the. ball for almost the entire 3rd quarter and dominated time of possession in that game.  

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, jgb said:

He also gets shade from some Jets fans

I've been around these forums for a long time (2005) and I've never once noticed a Jets fan "throwing shade" @ Don Maynard. 

When you claim "some" Jets fans you must be referring to literally 0.001% of Jets fans because 99.999% of Jets fans absolutely rave about Don Maynard. 

Being born in 1985 he's before my time but he was one of my Grandpas favorite ball players and I've never once witnessed Jets fans crapping all over DON MAYNARD (and I have a memory of an elephant).

https://youtu.be/k5FafbrWGbU

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I've been around these forums for a long time (2005) and I've never once noticed a Jets fan "throwing shade" @ Don Maynard. 

When you claim "some" Jets fans you must be referring to literally 0.001% of Jets fans because 99.999% of Jets fans absolutely rave about Don Maynard. 

Being born in 1985 he's before my time but he was one of my Grandpas favorite ball players and I've never once witnessed Jets fans crapping all over DON MAYNARD (and I have a memory of an elephant).

https://youtu.be/k5FafbrWGbU

I'm not going to provide links to examples, they are easy to find. One thing I've learned on this forum is that the stronger the reaction to something I say, usually the more likely it is correct. FYI your math needs work. 100% of Jets fans don't know who Maynard is.

• Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The Jets also went run heavy and used a short passing game because the Colts defense was playing the pass and trying to pressure Namath.  Lost in all the SB III hype over many years as well was that Namath called his own plays and his play calling kept Baltimore guessing all game. The Jets held the. ball for almost the entire 3rd quarter and dominated time of possession in that game.  

Indeed

3 hours ago, jgb said:

I'm not going to provide links to examples, they are easy to find. One thing I've learned on this forum is that the stronger the reaction to something I say, usually the more likely it is correct. FYI your math needs work. 100% of Jets fans don't know who Maynard is.

You're not going to provide links to examples, because they do not exist (and they aren't "easy to find" either because I searched and found absolutely nothingness). FYI my math doesn't "need work". 100% of Jets fans do indeed know who Don Maynard is (because it's impossible to be an NYJ fan and not know who our greatest WR of All-Time is). 

But yeah. You saying "some Jets fans throw shade @ Don Maynard" imo is horse crap because I bet it was only 1 fan and not "some fan(s)" and I bet that 1 fan is the same fan who throws shade @ everything Jets related that's considered good-to-great (no need to mention his name). 

And you not being able to provide a link on something "so easy to find" proves my point. 

image.png.77956d833419e05bf04be2284b037215.png

My daughter is 10 and loves sports and loves her Jets and she knows about Don Maynard too (impossible to love the Jets and not know who he is).

14 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

You're not going to provide links to examples, because they do not exist

No, it's because I don't care whether you accept my point or not. 

14 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

My daughter is 10 and loves sports and loves her Jets and she knows about Don Maynard too (impossible to love the Jets and not know who he is).

I also don't care enough to explain to you why anecdotal evidence is garbage.

On 7/18/2021 at 4:28 AM, jgb said:

And he never used stickum....  unlike some other widely famed WR we won't mention here who I actually liked until I found out he was wearing that crap all over his hands...  lol

• Haha 1

On 7/17/2021 at 12:41 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Actually pretty cool (obviously) because Maynard is criminally underrated and forgotten by Non-Jets NFL fans...

Thanks to Pete Rozelle who refused to give AFL players their due, treated their AFL accomplishments as if they happened in sandlot games.  Guys like Maynard, Sauer etc had their accomplishments swept to the back of NFL accomplishments even when it was painfully clear that Maynard was significantly better than the NFL WRs of his day and beyond.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jethead said:

Maynard telling Namath "I got one whenever you need it", and torching George Atkinson in the AFC Championship.

Old timers are always underrated but he will never be forgotten. 

It's a crime he had to wait 9 years after being eligible to make the HOF. He finished with more yards, more catches, more TDs than Lance Alworth.  When he retired, he was the record holder for professional football in the first two categories. He and Alworth were both selected as the two starting WRs for the All-Time AFL Team (selected in 1970, while both were still playing for the merged NFL). Alworth deserved to and got into the HOF his first year of eligibility (Trivia: he was the first player with an AFL pedigree to make the HOF).

I don't want to take anything away from Alworth who was also awesome and a strong case can be made that he was better than Maynard. For example, he had higher annual averages in the big stat categories since his career was shorter and made more All Star (now known as Pro Bowl) selections.  However, it still doesn't make sense to have been a 8-year gap in terms of eligibility for their respective selections to the HOF. If Alworth was a slam-dunk for making the HOF in his first year (which he was), Maynard was at worst an unguarded layup.

My guess is the old salt HOF voters felt they had to let in a few AFL guys but were generally reluctant to give the honor to players from the "inferior" AFL. Only after the natural process of turnover in the electorate did attitudes change.

On 7/17/2021 at 1:11 PM, Lith said:

About 10 yeas ago, Jets were playing the Bears at Soldier Field and I went to the game, wearing my Maynard 13 jersey.  A Bear fan stops me and asks me when Brad Maynard played for the Jets.  Criminally underrated indeed.

My niece graduated from college this past spring. I teased her with the old line from The Graduate..."I've got one word for you.Plastics." She looked at me like I head 3 heads. I asked her if she had heard of Dustin Hoffman, and she said no. At that point, I figured Anne Bancroft was a non starter, and realized that I just keep getting older.?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, section314 said:

My niece graduated from college this past spring. I teased her with the old line from The Graduate..."I've got one word for you.Plastics." She looked at me like I head 3 heads. I asked her if she had heard of Dustin Hoffman, and she said no. At that point, I figured Anne Bancroft was a non starter, and realized that I just keep getting older.?

Hello darkness my old friend....

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, section314 said:

My favorite film.

Don't feel bad, I work with someone who looked at me blankly when I said, "You've never heard of Nirvana??"

• Haha 1