***The Official New York Jets @ New York Giants Game Thread (7:30pm)***

Ghost

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

You just joined JN July 21st (just a couple of days ago) so please understand that i don't need you (of all "fans") telling me and/or giving me advice on how to be a Jets fan. 

Understood? Good. 

You want to look out for me? Well then please stop quoting me (because over 50% of your JN posts are quotes of me). 

If I want to become fired up about one of my favorite players Denzel Mims that's my right as a Jets fan and I don't need to read your little remarks such as...

"Calm down Tucker". 

"You might want to call it a night now"

"Stay away from that drain pipe". 

"Take my advice here". 

Who do you think you are? 

I just had to enjoy 2 years of miserable Adam Gase football; so who do you think you are? 

You're not even quoting me to "talk Football" so please look out for me by no longer quoting me. 

Do you realize our conversation tonight started because YOU QUOTED ME THREE TIMES before I ever mentioned or replied to you? ? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Calm down. They won a preseason game 12-7. The starters played one quarter or less , mostly vs the Giants back ups.  I am impressed with Saleh and I agree on the culture change, but tonight proved very little.

Backups or not Denzel Mims knows how to play football man. 

• Denzel Mims kicked Chase Claypool's ass within every statistical category known to WR mankind during their 3 years starting career @ Baylor/ND. 

• Denzel Mims was able to put up receiving yards and receptions (as a rookie) despite an awful Sam Darnold and a washed up Joe Flacco, a bust Perriman opposite of him, a 50 year old Frank Gore as his RB along with an atrocious Adam Gase (where is he now?) and a disgusting Dowell Loggains (where is he now?). 

Denzel Mims did his thing tonight and he did it better than any other NYJ/NYG WR. 

2 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Stop it. Just stop it. 

DENZEL MIMS had 3 receptions with a BACKUP QB (since you like to talk about backups) and led all WRs in receiving yards (Jets/Giants combined) with 51 receiving yards. 

"Step it up". 

A.) Zach Wilson was going up against professionals during his first ever live NFL action with pass rushers looking to make a name for themselves off of him and guess what? Zach Wilson flourished. 

B.) Our Defense didn't look "good". Our Defense looked down right incredible under coach Saleh despite no Quinnen Williams. 

I'm amazed at how you're a Jets fan and don't remember 1996 1-15 to 1997 9-7 (and 1 HB pass away from the playoffs) while acting and pretending as if NFL turnarounds aren't crested off of culture change. 

"REALITY CHECK".

Fans such as yourself told me I was wrong in 2009 for guaranteeing wed make the playoffs in 2009 behind a rookie HC, rookie QB, beast O-Line and monster run game. 

HERE'S A REALITY CHECK FOR YOU.

• Top 1-3 Defense. 

• Beast O-Line. 

• Monster run game. 

• Rookie Robert Saleh and Rookie Zach Wilson.

= PLAYOFFS. 

HERE'S ANOTHER REALITY CHECK:

ADAM GASE IS NO LONGER OUR FOOTBALL COACH. 

^^^^ here they are.

3 hours ago, jetsons said:

ehh... Shepherd was 24 when the Jets drafted him (27 now)... Marshall is 23... by the 1st game of the season he'll be 24.

Not familiar with the "Shepherd is an old man" jokes, huh?

Still, if it comes down to it, teams will tend to go with a younger guy who is signed for more years over a guy on the last year of his contract. Going to be some tough cuts on this Dline.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Ghost said:

I’m interested in so many things honestly. 

1. Wilson. Although he’s only going to play two series, I’m so excited to see him. 

2. Rookies. Mike Carter, Elijah Moore (hopefully), AVT (hopefully), and those defensive rookies we drafted. I hope they make some noise today! 

3. Becton. Let’s hope he completely annihilates whoever is lined up against him. 

4. Coach. We know how he gets fired up on the sideline. I’ll be excited to see him  tonight. 

5. Mims. I just think he needs to step up especially if Moore is out today. 

6. RT position. Morgan or Fant? 

7. Corners. I do feel like we have a diamond in the rough somewhere. IMO, Hall is the one. 

Echols looked really good. That PI was total nonsense. I like his speed and how he stays with his man.  And he's got good length and height.  We might have a real gem here. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 3

2 hours ago, talisaynon said:

Feeney will get Zach killed if he sees time. I agree, if we really did play Giants 2nd stringers and he got bullied like that get rid of his trash ass

But he has a mullet and can chug beers then crush the cans on his head!

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Not seen much of Mims on O and nothing of Pinnock on D. 

Not exactly sure when you posted this but you couldn't be any more wrong with Denzel Mims. Mind was superb last night when his number got called. He's still working back from weight loss and getting his strength back but Denzel Mims was 100% the Denzel Mims we drafted. He runs excellent routes, he's not GREAT hands, and he's an absolute athletic freak. He should be moving up the depth chart almost immediately. It's obvious he's way undermatched playing against 3's.

Just now, NYJ1 said:

Not exactly sure when you posted this but you couldn't be any more wrong with Denzel Mims. Mind was superb last night when his number got called. He's still working back from weight loss and getting his strength back but Denzel Mims was 100% the Denzel Mims we drafted. He runs excellent routes, he's not GREAT hands, and he's an absolute athletic freak. He should be moving up the depth chart almost immediately. It's obvious he's way undermatched playing against 3's.

When I posted it, he had played on specials and one down on O. Hence we hadn't seen much of him.

He played well with 3s in the second half. He's not getting cut - and never was - but he's obviously got a lot to do to climb up the depth chart with at least 4 WRs ahead of him in Davis, Crowder, Cole and Moore. 

Mims was playing with DJ Montgomery and Lawrence Cager out wide, which tells you a lot about where he is on the depth chart right now.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

When I posted it, he had played on specials and one down on O. Hence we hadn't seen much of him.

He played well with 3s in the second half. He's not getting cut - and never was - but he's obviously got a lot to do to climb up the depth chart with at least 4 WRs ahead of him in Davis, Crowder, Cole and Moore. 

Mims was playing with DJ Montgomery and Lawrence Cager out wide, which tells you a lot about where he is on the depth chart right now.

That he is 4 on the depth chart says more about the talent in front of him than it does him.  He is obviously very talented and showed  it, when healthy, last season.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

That he is 4 on the depth chart says more about the talent in front of him than it does him.  He is obviously very talented and showed  it, when healthy, last season.

No argument here. He is talented, but he is where he is on the depth chart.

If he wants to move up, he has to be better than the guys ahead of him.

Why is Mims still being argued here? Lol. He’s not going anywhere. Did we not see the entire team get hyped for him and Saleh embrace him after that big catch and run? 

Anyway, Just looking over and seeing Saleh on the sideline feels so much better then watching clueless Gase pace back and forth. Also kinda intimidating. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

My takeaways now that I went through the replay of the game myself:

Zach looked comfortable, decisive, has a much stronger arm than I thought, and a lightning quick release.  Nothing flashy, and that’s ok.  He looked like he belonged on the field.  I wish that offensive PI didn’t, essentially, kill his final drive, but he executed 3 & 14 really well and that was a good situation for him to navigate in the pre-season.

The OL looked very solid as a unit, and that was without AVT.  Feeny isn’t a starter.  He got beat on a blitz or two, if I remember correctly, that forced Zach to rush the throw.

The Defense was the biggest surprise.  They just might be better than we thought.  I’m so happy they finally went to a 4-3.  That pass rush looked fierce.

MIMS!!!

Corey Ballentine has the most NFL experience at CB and, easily, looks like the worst CB among the group.  He’ll have to step it up to stay on the team. Echols was VERY impressive.

Play-calling, on both sides of the ball, was a breath of fresh air.  Very pleased with the performance from the coaching staff.  There was maybe 1 or 2 offensive plays where I said “eh”, but nothing egregious.  Plus, there was no game planning involved and it felt at times that they were working on situational stuff for personnel purposes.

Overall, it’s the first pre-season game…but I’m very encouraged by what I saw.  The Saleh era is off to an encouraging start.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Zach looked comfortable, decisive, has a much stronger arm than I thought, and a lightning quick release.  Nothing flashy, and that’s ok.  He looked like he belonged on the field.  I wish that offensive PI didn’t, essentially, kill his final drive, but he executed 3 & 14 really well and that was a good situation for him to navigate in the pre-season.

The OL looked very solid as a unit, and that was without AVT.  Feeny isn’t a starter.  He got beat on a blitz or two, if I remember correctly, that forced Zach to rush the throw.

The Defense was the biggest surprise.  They just might be better than we thought.  I’m so happy they finally went to a 4-3.  That pass rush looked fierce.

MIMS!!!

Corey Ballentine has the most NFL experience at CB and, easily looks like the worst CB among the group.  He’ll have to step it up to stay on the team. Echols was VERY impressive.

Play-calling, on both sides of the ball, was a breath of fresh air.  Very pleased with the performance from the coaching staff.  There was maybe 1 or 2 offensive plays where I said “eh”, but nothing egregious.  Plus, there was no game planning involved and it felt at times that they were working on situational stuff for personnel purposes.

Overall, it’s the first pre-season game…but I’m very encouraged by what I saw.  The Saleh era is off to an encouraging start.

My vote goes to Jackson, #38. Looks worse than last year, if that's possible. The Play Echols made on the Pettis breakup was impressive. The team speed on defense, especially the young pups, is very noticeable and welcome.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, section314 said:

My vote goes to Jackson, #38. Looks worse than last year, if that's possible. The Play Echols made on the Pettis breakup was impressive. The team speed on defense, especially the young pups, is very noticeable and welcome.

I was gonna throw him in there too but, for me, Ballentine gets the nod because he is a vet.  I think they’re both on the bubble regardless.

Totally agree on the speed.  However, what stood out the most on defense was the discipline that they had.  Other than the one busted run from the 3rd string late in the game and the TD given up by Ballentine, they all did a very good job of keeping up with their assignments and not giving up huge yardage or first downs.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, section314 said:

Jackson just isn't built to play man coverage. He just isn't fluid enough and doesn't have the recovery speed.

I could see all of our rookie CBs making the team (Carter, Pinnock, Echols and Dunn) along with Hall, Austin and Guidry. 

Ballentine, Jackson etc are going to have a hard time sticking over the rookies.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

MIMS!!!

Corey Ballentine has the most NFL experience at CB and, easily looks like the worst CB among the group.  He’ll have to step it up to stay on the team. Echols was VERY impressive.

I don’t understand why people here are surprised about Wilson’s arm strength.  If you watched his highlights on you tube you see that zip and effortless strength.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

You can see why Kyle Juszczyk is so valuable in this type of offense.   Wesco is ok at blocking, but has terrible hands, just horrific.   Whoever plays that position needs to be a threat to catch the ball to make those formations effective.  

Wesco is a lumbering TE from an older era.  What’s too bad is that they can’t use mims as a hybrid TE, kinda like what claypool could have become if they kept him at TE.  Ultimately they may be best off using 4 wrs or multiple rbs to get the most speed and playmaking out there.  It should work better with a guy like wilson who makes quicker decisions and puts more pressure on defenses to guard all these quick wrs and rbs.  But early on we’re going to rely more on the run and that’s ok.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Douglas has made many fine moves and has done a good job but he has 100% utterly failed regarding kickers and tight ends.  Both just barf inducing positions on this team.

He signed two new K and both are having good camps.  Thats not true with K.  

6 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

You can see why Kyle Juszczyk is so valuable in this type of offense.   Wesco is ok at blocking, but has terrible hands, just horrific.   Whoever plays that position needs to be a threat to catch the ball to make those formations effective.  

How long will it take Brad Baxter to get in shape?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I don’t understand why people here are surprised about Wilson’s arm strength.  If you watched his highlights on you tube you see that zip and effortless strength.  

I watched all the tape prior and still came away impressed!  Just a beautiful throwing motion.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

It's his fault our Defense didn't pitch a shut out. He hung his RB OUT TO DRY. 

As I'm typing? Jets D = SAFETY ?

He completed the pass and the TE fumbles after he caught the ball and thats on the QB?

No

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

I watched all the tape prior and still came away impressed!  Just a beautiful throwing motion.

One thing i liked is that he didn’t throw it too hard.  He threw it at the right velocity and put it right where the wr’s hands were.  With darnold, geno and Sanchez we were always “juuuuuuuust a bit outside”.  

It was also nice to see both lines give good push.  And the rb speed was evident.  All these giant fans sitting there saying the great pumpkin, i mean, sequon, will save them, they’re delusional.  This rb setup is the best, several fast, quick rbs who can all break long runs and catch.  And once mims gets going along with moore, this offense can really hum.  It was cool to see wilson so comfortable rolling out as well.  The FB/te spot needs work but obviously we know this.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1