***The Official New York Jets @ New York Giants Game Thread (7:30pm)***

Ghost

Random thoughts…

Zach looked good, but it was our starters against the Giants second string.

We complain about our backup QB situation, but Glennon was just as bad. Very few teams have a quality 2nd guy.

Mims? He’s really got to pick it up if he wants to see time this year.

Defense looked good, but just like Zach, they were going up against backups.

To sum it up, we looked okay. Things seem to be headed in the right direction. I think we’re going to be a very vanilla team on offense though, so we need the D to be as good as a lot of us think they can be.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

14 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Mims? He’s really got to pick it up if he wants to see time this year.

Stop it. Just stop it. 

DENZEL MIMS had 3 receptions with a BACKUP QB (since you like to talk about backups) and led all WRs in receiving yards (Jets/Giants combined) with 51 receiving yards. 

"Step it up". 

• Upvote 2

I’m amazed how fixated so many of you are with the backup QB situation. We know the Jets are going with Zach from day one. This year is all about developing him. Why would anyone care who the backup is? The only possible reason I can think of is to help develop the other young guys on offense, and if that’s the case, develop the Captain (or White) also.

Here’s a reality check for some of you… we’re not making the playoffs, even if Zach plays well all year. I’d be ecstatic if we win 7 or 8 games, that would be great progress from last year.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

16 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

A ) Zach looked good, but it was our starters against the Giants second string

B.) Defense looked good, but just like Zach, they were going up against backups.

A.) Zach Wilson was going up against professionals during his first ever live NFL action with pass rushers looking to make a name for themselves off of him and guess what? Zach Wilson flourished. 

B.) Our Defense didn't look "good". Our Defense looked down right incredible under coach Saleh despite no Quinnen Williams. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

What in the world was that???  An actual pass rush to end the game
with no drama???  When was the last time that happened.  Also,
a pretty decent 4 minute offense run by Morgan to chew up the clock.
It will be interesting to re-watch the tape to see what else
stood out

I'm glad it worked out that way but the offense should have run the game out... that was a terrible call. 

7 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I’m amazed how fixated so many of you are with the backup QB situation. We know the Jets are going with Zach from day one. This year is all about developing him. Why would anyone care who the backup is? The only possible reason I can think of is to help develop the other young guys on offense, and if that’s the case, develop the Captain (or White) also.

Here’s a reality check for some of you… we’re not making the playoffs, even if Zach plays well all year. I’d be ecstatic if we win 7 or 8 games, that would be great progress from last year.

Are you willfully unaware of the MAGNITUDE & responsibility of the title of Jets Backup QB ?!?!?

Thats how we get our starters!!!!

Pat Ryan, frank Reich, Brister, Trudeau, Foley, Testaverde, Quincy Carter, Brooks Bollonger, Jay Fiedler, Geno Smith, Bryce Petty, Fitzpatrick, etc…… 

the backup QB ends up playing 1/2 the season as history shown :-( 

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I'm amazed at how you're a Jets fan and don't remember 1996 1-15 to 1997 9-7 (and 1 HB pass away from the playoffs) while acting and pretending as if NFL turnarounds aren't crested off of culture change. 

"REALITY CHECK".

Fans such as yourself told me I was wrong in 2009 for guaranteeing wed make the playoffs in 2009 behind a rookie HC, rookie QB, beast O-Line and monster run game. 

HERE'S A REALITY CHECK FOR YOU.

• Top 1-3 Defense. 

• Beast O-Line. 

• Monster run game. 

• Rookie Robert Saleh and Rookie Zach Wilson.

= PLAYOFFS. 

HERE'S ANOTHER REALITY CHECK:

ADAM GASE IS NO LONGER OUR FOOTBALL COACH. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

The bottom line on offense this season is can this team score enough points. Which means TDS. That’s been the key problem over the past few seasons under Darnold. Now this was only an exhibition game sure and Wilson looked ok but did he put points on the board. Not really. 

15 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Great post.  And it’s going to be a fun team to watch lose For the first time in a decade

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Here's the 10 Players on my "Bubble Watch" for Tonight

Players who seem like longshots who could still surprise someone and take a spot on the opening day roster

1. Austin Walter RB - Seems like the odd man out at RB right now but he's still in with a chance 
  2. Ryan Griffin TE - Herndon and Kroft are ahead of him and there is some young talent with potential behind him
  3. Kenny Yeboah TE - Talented but hasn't got a lot of positive press so far in camp
  4. Vyncint Smith WR - Gifted athlete who can play special team too, can he contribute at WR
  5. Lawrence Cager WR - Another guy who seems to have strong potential - can he show it tonight
  6. Corey Levin C/G - Has bounced around the league for a few years without doing much, but the door is open for him to earn a spot at backup C & G
  7. Jabari Zuniga DE - Was hurt a lot last year and didn't do much or honestly flash a lot of potential - can he actually play?  We will know more later today.
  8. Jonathan Marshall DT - Big ole corn fed rookie 6th rounder, but we are deep at DT
  9. Isaiah Dunn CB - We've heard a lot about him, let's watch to see how he does in a game
  10. Corey Ballentine CB/KR - Can he steal the last spot on the roster as a backup CB and kick returner?

I will watch these 10 players closely - they should all play a lot - and give each an "Up" or "Down" vote after the game

Walter sucked 

did not even see Griffin

yeboah fumbled 

good special teams night for Vycint smith 

cager had a few catches 

did not notice Levin

did not notice Zuinga

Marshall had a really good game 

Dunn is injured 

bad night for Ballantine 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Stop it. Just stop it. 

DENZEL MIMS had 3 receptions with a BACKUP QB (since you like to talk about backups) and led all WRs in receiving yards (Jets/Giants combined) with 51 receiving yards. 

"Step it up". 

We’re all rooting for him, but it’s hard to get too excited about last years 2nd round pick flashing after he finally gets playing time in the second half of a PS game with the scrubs…

Your passion is great, and I’m starting to like you... Just spare me your canned Mims response about this being his first real TC, first real HC and NFL offense. But most of all spare me the salmon thing.

As someone else said earlier though, Bad Salmon is a great nickname.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

13 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I won't even be upset if Elijah Moore doesn't play because that kid is absolute fire (preseason game or not) and it'll give Denzel Mims an even bigger opportunity to shine. 

image.png.b03851f4de85a94f430e9625849e41fc.png

Denzel Mims recorded 3 receptions and led all WRs (NYJ/NYG) in receiving yards tonight (51) and his 17 yards per catch average ranked #2 amongst all NYJ/NYJ receivers. 

obama-mic-drop.gif

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

If there was a question about engagement, Mims answered tonight - he reminded me of Braylon carrying defenders on that 3rd down conversion. 

In his presser, Saleh was really pleased with his progress and noted that he thought it was the outcome of a solid week of prep and that he sees Mims getting more comfortable with the play book. 

I think he's making progress. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

This team is well coached and talent EVERYWHERE. 

The depth was my big observation today. How nice to see performance hold up as we went for and deeper in the reporter as the game progressed. 

32 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Here’s a reality check for some of you… we’re not making the playoffs, even if Zach plays well all year. I’d be ecstatic if we win 7 or 8 games, that would be great progress from last year.

This is exactly the toxic SOJF culture Saleh is trying to kill

Get used to this......its about winning from here on out, not drafting 8 or 16

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

image.png.b03851f4de85a94f430e9625849e41fc.png

Denzel Mims recorded 3 receptions and led all WRs (NYJ/NYG) in receiving yards tonight (51) and his 17 yards per catch average ranked #2 amongst all NYJ/NYJ receivers. 

obama-mic-drop.gif

Calm down Tucker…  you might want to call it a night now.

Stay away from that drain pipe. ?

(this is me looking out for you, not trying to rile you up. Take my advice here.)

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

This is exactly the toxic SOJF culture Saleh is trying to kill

Get used to this......its about winning from here on out, not drafting 8 or 16

… and so has every other HC we’ve hired after Weeb left, but guess what? Here we are.

Kevin, you should know by now that SOJF culture only affects Jets fans, hence the term “same old Jets fans”. It has no bearing on the CS.

Saleh has one job. Coach up his team. That’s it. It’s not up to him to change the fan’s mindset.

Saleh has to do his job, JD needs to draft well and bring in the right type of FA’s the next year or two. Then the “culture” will change within the building. The fans will see it, and their attitude will change also.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

This is a 10-7 football team and will get the 7th playoff spot.  Get on board now. The bus is leaving.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Calm down Tucker…  you might want to call it a night now.

Stay away from that drain pipe. ?

(this is me looking out for you, not trying to rile you up. Take my advice here.)

You just joined JN July 21st (just a couple of days ago) so please understand that i don't need you (of all "fans") telling me and/or giving me advice on how to be a Jets fan. 

Understood? Good. 

You want to look out for me? Well then please stop quoting me (because over 50% of your JN posts are quotes of me). 

If I want to become fired up about one of my favorite players Denzel Mims that's my right as a Jets fan and I don't need to read your little remarks such as...

"Calm down Tucker". 

"You might want to call it a night now"

"Stay away from that drain pipe". 

"Take my advice here". 

Who do you think you are? 

I just had to enjoy 2 years of miserable Adam Gase football; so who do you think you are? 

You're not even quoting me to "talk Football" so please look out for me by no longer quoting me. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is a 10-7 football team and will get the 7th playoff spot.  Get on board now. The bus is leaving.

This guy is trying to preach to us "SOJ culture" despite just joining our favorite Jets home just only a couple of days ago in late July? 

And he thinks he has the right to quote every Jets fan who's excited around here in order to "correct us"?

Na.

I'm not ok with that and just (finally) placed him on ignore because of it. 

Tonight was an awesome night of Jets football and coach Robert Saleh has already changed the culture of our Football team and please don't let guys like this tell you any different. 

• Thumb Down 1

19 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

This guy is trying to preach to us "SOJ culture" despite just joining our favorite Jets home just only a couple of days ago in late July? 

And he thinks he has the right to quote every Jets fan who's excited around here in order to "correct us"?

Na.

I'm not ok with that and just (finally) placed him on ignore because of it. 

Tonight was an awesome night of Jets football and coach Robert Saleh has already changed the culture of our Football team and please don't let guys like this tell you any different. 

Calm down. They won a preseason game 12-7. The starters played one quarter or less , mostly vs the Giants back ups.  I am impressed with Saleh and I agree on the culture change, but tonight proved very little.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Stop it. Just stop it. 

"Step it up". 

true. but he was also playing with the backups to the backups. probably half wont even make the team. 

and those miss tackles were a joke. im not a lover or hater of Mims, im just saying....

i dont think we can truely judge our players after the way Judge ran his roster. most teams did like us and played there starters. im curious to know if any other team sat ALL there starters. interesting to see how this turns out.

our 1st string played there 2nd in the 1st

our 2nd played there 2nd in the 2nd...

our 2nd played there 3rd string in the 3rd.

our 3rd string played there 3rd in the 4th.

MOSTLEY... there were some who played on both strings. but you get the idea. and Mims catches all came in the 3rd.

i think next week will be a better indication of how our guys are doing. i expect GB to play there starters the same as us. that means the 2nd string will play at the same time and so on...