BECTON Concussion?

Billyg

21 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Lawson and Curry will meet you in the parking lot week 1.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

The Curry loss is the one that gets me.  We're bemoaning the loss of a player who has never suited up for us.

And was hardly a player anyone was counting on much to contribute here.  In fact I dont remember all the talk about at least we had Curry to offset some of the effect of losing Lawson for the season

16 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Not sure if official or not but if it is a concussion do you guys think he'll miss the 1st 4 weeks of regular season? ?

Doubtful.  Players usually miss at worst 2 weeks making him on target for opening day

18 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I don't know. 

We have been pretty snake-bitten in recent years with crucial injuries, particularly early in the season. 

Just think of the last three years. It's been pretty crazy, tbh

The Niners were without Nick Bosa, George Kittle, Jimmy Garoppolo, Deebo Samuel, Richard Sherman, Dee Ford and Raheem Mostert — among others — for extended periods of the schedule.

In fact The data shows the 49ers were far-and-away the leaders when it comes to adjusted games lost. San Francisco’s players missed 161.6 games to injuries, plus five more related to COVID-19.

The 2016 Chicago Bears had a higher total than San Francisco, with 171.6. 

We had our fair share but not the worst.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Morrissey said:

explain to me how Becton's injuries are coaches fault? I'd love to heat it

Because he was put back in games when he shouldnt have been for starters?

None of those injuries were due to fans perceived lack of conditioning.

Now the same people who complained that Mangold was overweight and out of shape when he was tweaked or less effective now are pointing to his longevity.  

Internet Drs and dietitians running wild on a message board 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Anyone who isn't at least bit concerned about Becton's conditioning, injuries that have caused him to miss time on the field, and his actual performance this spring are lying to themselves.

Concussions have nothing to do with conditioning, and a lot of players get them. They're a fact of football life until someone invents a miracle helmet. Besides that, his only problem this preseason was plantar fasciitis, which again has nothing to do with conditioning. Foot problems are common with big, tall athletes.

He played well in both preseason games and I'm not a fan who gets frantic about practice tweets. Were you aware his PFF grade was 80.8 in the Green Bay game, third highest among all offensive players? His grade was 64 in the Giants game, but his pass blocking grade was 83. And stuff the "he was playing against backups." That's the nature of preseason games. So no, I'm not worried and can look myself in the mirror without feeling like a liar. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Concussions have nothing to do with conditioning, and a lot of players get them. They're a fact of football life until someone invents a miracle helmet. Besides that, his only problem this preseason was plantar fasciitis, which again has nothing to do with conditioning. Foot problems are common with big, tall athletes.

He played well in both preseason games and I'm not a fan who gets frantic about practice tweets. Were you aware his PFF grade was 80.8 in the Green Bay game, third highest among all offensive players? His grade was 64 in the Giants game, but his pass blocking grade was 83. And stuff the "he was playing against backups." That's the nature of preseason games. So no, I'm not worried and can look myself in the mirror without feeling like a liar. 

Exactly man and well said.  

Some fans (Becton critics) are pretending as if 99.9% of our Jets fan base nicknamed him Mt. Becton, the Big Ticket and/or Highway 77 due to stinking like George Fant or something?

Thnx the Football Gods Twitter wasn't around to hack tweet every single practice rep for D'Brickishaw Ferguson especially after he allowed Aaron Schobel to record 9 tackles,  1 forced fumble, 3 QB hits and 3 QB sacks of Chad Pennington during week 14 too ?

These Becton critics don't even realize that A.) He ranked 3rd amongst all Rookie O-Linemen (LT/LG/C/RG/RT) last year and B.) The NYG (starring) pass rusher who he dominated and made look like he didn't belong on the same field as Becton was a 2nd round draft pick out of Georgia who feasted within an elite SEC with 9.5 sacks last year; is NYGs PASS RUSHER now considered a bust?

The guy who started at Center for Green Bay had some sort of new-fangled helmet that had a bunch of additional forehead protection.  Had a bit of a Klingon vibe to his hat, but perhaps something of that sort would be a good choice for our interior linemen who get bopped in the head more often.  Mark Kelso used to look like an idiot with that foam thing on his helmet but he stopped getting concussions once he started wearing that.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

The Niners were without Nick Bosa, George Kittle, Jimmy Garoppolo, Deebo Samuel, Richard Sherman, Dee Ford and Raheem Mostert — among others — for extended periods of the schedule.

In fact The data shows the 49ers were far-and-away the leaders when it comes to adjusted games lost. San Francisco’s players missed 161.6 games to injuries, plus five more related to COVID-19.

Ok, so two teams over the last 5 seasons?

kinda makes my point for me, no?

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Ok, so two teams over the last 5 seasons?

kinda makes my point for me, no?

Two examples, not two teams.  We’ve been nowhere near the losses as these two.  Hence the example.  
Injuries are bad luck situations not good for woe is me we suck crowd.  All teams train alike and have full medical staffs.  It’s luck when you skate through, bad luck when you’re hit with injuries.  Though sometimes you’ll notice bad teams, with lots of FAs, who tend to be older do get hit more by the injury bug at times

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Two examples, not two teams.  We’ve been nowhere near the losses as these two.  Hence the example.  

Right, but how many other teams have had as many as us? It just can’t be that many.

we also seem like we’ve had an obscene number of injuries to certain positional groups, all at once, along with some very bad timing 

8 hours ago, Origen said:

The guy who started at Center for Green Bay had some sort of new-fangled helmet that had a bunch of additional forehead protection.  Had a bit of a Klingon vibe to his hat, but perhaps something of that sort would be a good choice for our interior linemen who get bopped in the head more often.  Mark Kelso used to look like an idiot with that foam thing on his helmet but he stopped getting concussions once he started wearing that.

Helmet technology is getting better and better each year.  They have lots of options and even position specific helmets for different position groups now I believe.

I'd hope that whatever is the best available for a particular player, our guys are wearing them.  They had previously grandfathered some veterans' helmets allowing them to wear what would now be considered ineligible helmets simply because they wore them for a decade.  They're on a list of "legacy helmets" but everyone should be on the new equipment within the next couple years I believe. Certainly Becton and the newer guys to the League are wearing the new stuff.

My son plays high school football and we decided to buy him his own new helmet rather than have him play with a school issued one.  He wears a Riddell Speedflex which is pretty high on the safety list.  I'd encourage anyone who has a kid playing football to be very aware of what they're using.  Some high schools are continuing to use helmets that are 6 or 7 years old because of budget reasons.  In Arizona high school helmets just have to be re-certified each year for function, that they're not cracked or damaged, that the facemask is attached properly, the padding is still intact, etc. but they are NOT tested for how well they perform or their protection compared to other helmet types.  Helmets aren't cheap but you only get one brain in life so we made the decision to buy it for him since he'll have it for 4 years.

The NFL and NFLPA puts out independent lab results every year listing helmets and their relative ratings.  Here are the 2021 results....

1911145749_ScreenShot2021-08-26at9_45_57PM.thumb.png.3d4c559dc0d4ab3c45180d767e9efe80.png

• Upvote 1

My dad coached in the late 70's/early 80's so we had an old helmet from the team when I was a kid.  The interior padding was just rope suspension to keep the plastic away from your head.  There was no padding.  The ones I wore always had padding at least, but it wasn't until high school that they got the 'air' technology, and even that is pathetically primitive compared to what is out now.  I'm surprised we all didn't die. I was always big on helmets and masks and stuff, and we just had garbage equipment because our team was terrible and there was no money for anything.  Now they have a turf field and top notch stuff.  I guess I'm bitter but it could be the head injuries talking

On 8/26/2021 at 3:21 PM, Jet Nut said:

I always wonder if the zone blocking system which they run tends to go after guys low and teams retaliate for it.  They have had a ridiculous amount of injuries since Shanahan took over.  Their SB run was an exception.  

Lots of injuries are none contact but in practice and on the field their OL zone blocking scheme can be pretty close to chop blocks.  Were instituting it here and we may see some retaliation and injuries on our own guys because of it.

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I always wonder if the zone blocking system which they run tends to go after guys low and teams retaliate for it.  They have had a ridiculous amount of injuries since Shanahan took over.  Their SB run was an exception.  

Lots of injuries are none contact but in practice and on the field their OL zone blocking scheme can be pretty close to chop blocks.  Were instituting it here and we may see some retaliation and injuries on our own guys because of it.

I assumed it was just a poor training staff.  Thats been hinted here.  ???

Seriously, I dont remember the Broncos getting a lot of injuries to their OL and teams outwardly were vocal about the cheating the Broncos OL committed during games.