2021/22 NY Rangers thread

EM31

Not sure there will be much activity on this thread this year.  Brooklyn_Jet was the heart and soul of Rangers threads in previous years and he seems to have acquired a lifetime ban.

In any event here it is.  New season. New GM and new Head coach. A roster which has been made over in some degree to try and address an overall lack of toughness and still one of the youngest and most talented teams. At least on paper that is.  Time to make the playoffs this year.  Can't sleepwalk into the season like we did last year.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

21 hours ago, EM31 said:

Brooklyn_Jet was the heart and soul of Rangers threads in previous years and he seems to have acquired a lifetime ban.

I wasn’t aware of this since there has been no desire to be on Mets thread or Rangers until season starts. All this losing is demoralizing. At least the Knicks made the playoffs for a cup of coffee.

@BROOKLYN JET was a mainstay of these threads…. I hope this decision is reconsidered if true. In the age of Cancel Culture, I hope we don’t lose sight of everyone’s freedom of speech. Just cause you don’t like what someone says doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be heard.

P.S. You forgot to add the *** Official ….. *** part to the title. Very important!

6 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I wasn’t aware of this since there has been no desire to be on Mets thread or Rangers until season starts. All this losing is demoralizing. At least the Knicks made the playoffs for a cup of coffee.

@BROOKLYN JET was a mainstay of these threads…. I hope this decision is reconsidered if true. In the age of Cancel Culture, I hope we don’t lose sight of everyone’s freedom of speech. Just cause you don’t like what someone says doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be heard.

P.S. You forgot to add the *** Official ….. *** part to the title. Very important!

It took DWC the better part of a decade and numerous last chances to get his lifetime ban yet @BROOKLYN JET seems to have been one and done.  If may not have been cancel culture but I am not sure that is either reasonable or measured regardless of the offense,

• Upvote 1

On 10/2/2021 at 2:20 PM, EM31 said:

It took DWC the better part of a decade and numerous last chances to get his lifetime ban yet @BROOKLYN JET seems to have been one and done.  If may not have been cancel culture but I am not sure that is either reasonable or measured regardless of the offense,

2 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

I’ll be in here this season. I wasn’t aware of the Brooklyn Jet ban, what happened?

FYI he made a thread equating Robert Saleh, due to his religion and/or heritage, to actual terrorists.

There was absolutely no grey area in this one.  Shame, honestly.

2 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

FYI he made a thread equating Robert Saleh, due to his religion and/or heritage, to actual terrorists.

There was absolutely no grey area in this one.  Shame, honestly.

He was getting roundly pounded by rank and file posters on the thread in question before the lifetime ban.  He certainly deserved all he was getting on that up to that time.

A lifetime ban is excessive and reminds me of the other place.

2 minutes ago, EM31 said:

He was getting roundly pounded by rank and file posters on the thread in question before the lifetime ban.  He certainly deserved all he was getting on that up to that time.

A lifetime ban is excessive and reminds me of the other place.

I mean, there were like 3 posts before it closed.

I'm not going to litigate this with anyone, and it's not my call.  But, there's a lot that goes on here that's deserving of bans and a lot of bad jokes and things in poor taste, but this, to me at least, was on another level.  Never seen anything like it on this site, to be quite honest.

Rangers and Islanders getting a little chippy.  Islanders are used to being able to push the Rangers around and they are acting like nothing has changed.  The Rangers at least standing up for themselves a little bit tonight.  Good tone setter for the season in the final preseason game.  We need to put on or two of theirs into the trainers room at some point this season just to be even or they will keep on doing more of the same.

Good job by the kids in the and and a win too, albeit a preseason win against one of the best two or three teams in hockey last year.  Georgie always seems to play well against them 

Kakko is going to be a big boy when he finishes growing in the next few years and he looks like he enjoys playing with size already.

Tough division unless you are in the camp that feel the Penguins and the Caps may be in a pronounced decline.  I do not.  Both the Devils and the Rangers expect to be better this year and someone will be disappointed from the Metropolitan.

For both teams it will come down to how quickly or if at all their very high draft picks start to dominate at this level.  I think Jack Hughes is close to being there already.  For the Rangers I would like to see Kakko take the next step (fingers crossed).  I am not sure Laffy will turn into THAT GUY any time soon and Kravtsov needs to become more consistent or he might be sent back down for more seasoning.

I'll try to chip in - a lot depends on how good my "grey" feeds are up here in VT, since I can't find a way to get the MSG on-line feed. I don't want to sign up for the NBA AND NHL season tickets - ain't got that kind of cash for purely occasional viewing, and often choppy viewing at that via crummy local DSL.

Things can always get out of hand against the Caps at any time pretty quickly and they did for us on opening night.  Chalk that one up to too much adrenaline and a bit of opening night jitters.

The Dallas result was disappointing in the end and Montreal was a scrappy win, albeit an ugly one.  This team is  still finding it's bearings right now,  Fox looks great and so do some of the offseason acquisitions (Blais, etc.).  Overall it isn't 100% clear what we have here yet and the big unknowns remain whether or not our high draft picks take the next step as well as whether or not Mika is really all the way back.

So far they get a C plus on a very small sample size.

3-0 on the road after an iffy first two games of the season.  Nice road trip regardless of the result in Ottawa on Saturday but 4-0 on the road would be kinda nice.

The game last night could have been a bit easier if any one of half a dozen chances went in and Nashville looks like a good team again this year.  The early results on the team makeover are looking good so far.  It would be nice to get the full team out there on the ice at some point.

Looking around the division, the Islanders look to be digging an early season hole the same way the Rangers did last year.  In my mind that team was the favorite to take the division and they probably still are given what they have shown over the last few years but if they think they can sleep on this division and turn it on whenever they want to then I think they need to look around and see there there are fewer "easy marks" in this division than there used to be.

I take no pleasure from the Islanders early season struggles.... Aww shoot, who am I kidding? It couldn't be happening to a nicer bunch :D

• Upvote 3

Senators fans complaining loudly about the concurrent "embellishment" penalty on Stutzle with 5 minutes to go, leading to a 4 on 4 and the Rangers first goal.  I think that was the 4th or 5th penalty in the game that he had drawn by that point but to be honest he could easily have had two other embellishment calls before the one that the refs actually got him for.

Looks like someone may have pointed this out to the refs between periods and that they were just waiting for the next infraction.  Nobody likes that crap unless their name happens to be P.K. Subban and Stutzle can expect to not receive the benefit of any doubts moving forward.  Playacting is a direct attempt to fool the refs and the word on that will get around the league in a hurry.

• Upvote 1

CBJ game was the best all around performance of the year so far but this is a tough road trip where we might play really well and still end up a 2-2 or worse.  Need to start off on the right foot against the expansion Kraken tonight. 

• Upvote 1

Another heist last in night's game.  We had no business escaping that game with points after that awful second period let alone with two points from a win in regulation.

Mark of a good team regardless of the sport = Manage to find a way to win in games where you do not play well.

Realistically we have one game (Columbus) where we played well everything else is a smoke and mirrors path to a 6-2-1 record. Crazy yes but good crazy.