2021/22 NY Rangers thread

EM31

1 hour ago, Lith said:

This hockey season has been a nighmare for an Islander fan.  Rangers have nearly doubled up the Islanders, we are on a forced sabbatical for another two weeks.  Probably going to have to play a couple dozen back to backs to make up for all the games we have missed.  13 game road trip to open the season.  Couple of weeks palying through a  Covid outbreak.  And now that we are healthy, another 4 games cancelled due to protocols.  And the Rangers just keep on winning.

I may need to lock this thread soon.  Just because I can.

Unfortunately you guys are only seven points out of the last wild card spot with five games in hand so even though it has been a nightmare up until now all that is really needed is a single hot run of some length.  More than possible for this Islanders roster.

Your team is built to roll in the playoffs and they have a couple of solid post seasons already under their belts.  My team? Who even knows at this point but teams almost always need several practice runs (at least) of playoff hockey before winning a cup.  More if you are the Capitals.

I am going to stick with this take on things closing in on halfway point.

The West:

Who the hell knows?  Maybe Colorado.

The East:

Live contenders: Washington, Tampa Bay, Florida, Carolina

In the conversation: Penguins, Rangers, Bruins, Maple Leafs

Dangerous if they get in: Islanders

Team you don't want to play if you NEED 2 points down the stretch: Devils

Completely Overrated: Blue Jackets, Flyers, Sabres

Properly Positioned: Canadiens

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Unfortunately you guys are only seven points out of the last wild card spot with five games in hand so even though it has been a nightmare up until now all that is really needed is a single hot run of some length.  More than possible for this Islanders roster.

Your team is built to roll in the playoffs and they have a couple of solid post seasons already under their belts.  My team? Who even knows at this point but teams almost always need several practice runs (at least) of playoff hockey before winning a cup.  More if you are the Capitals.

I am going to stick with this take on things closing in on halfway point.

The West:

Who the hell knows?  Maybe Colorado.

The East:

Live contenders: Washington, Tampa Bay, Florida, Carolina

In the conversation: Penguins, Rangers, Bruins, Maple Leafs

Dangerous if they get in: Islanders

Team you don't want to play if you NEED 2 points down the stretch: Devils

Completely Overrated: Blue Jackets, Flyers, Sabres

Properly Positioned: Canadiens

We are 8 points behind Boston for the last spot with no games in hand; And teh Burins are 7 behind the 7th place, so we are pretty far back.  We are 7 back of the Red Wings with 5 in hand, but they were passed by Boston.  With the number of back to backs we are going to have to play to make up games, and our inability to score consistenlty, its gonna be real tough to get back in the playoff hunt.

But this is a Rangers thread, and I really find that this is a Ranger team that is hard to hate, even for an Islander fan.  I love the way you guys rebuilt, committing to youth, but with the right veterans and FAs mixed in.  Most teams do need a couple of years of playoff seasoning before they really can contend for a Cup, but you are a team on the rise.  Ranger fans should be really excited over what the team can accomplish if you can keep the core together for the next 5 - 7 years. 

No team I would like to beat more than the Rangers (if given the chance), but its hard to hate this team.

29 minutes ago, Lith said:

We are 8 points behind Boston for the last spot with no games in hand; And teh Burins are 7 behind the 7th place, so we are pretty far back.  We are 7 back of the Red Wings with 5 in hand, but they were passed by Boston.  With the number of back to backs we are going to have to play to make up games, and our inability to score consistenlty, its gonna be real tough to get back in the playoff hunt.

But this is a Rangers thread, and I really find that this is a Ranger team that is hard to hate, even for an Islander fan.  I love the way you guys rebuilt, committing to youth, but with the right veterans and FAs mixed in.  Most teams do need a couple of years of playoff seasoning before they really can contend for a Cup, but you are a team on the rise.  Ranger fans should be really excited over what the team can accomplish if you can keep the core together for the next 5 - 7 years. 

No team I would like to beat more than the Rangers (if given the chance), but its hard to hate this team.

A couple of things need to happen for you guys.  First of all the new stadium needs to become an advantage as opposed to the liability is seems to be today.  With a disproportionate number of your remaining games at home that would then become a good thing.  Obviously they also need to get healthy and stay healthy.  This season and last season for that matter have been seasons of very long streaks for many teams (Rangers, Penguins, you name it).  If the Islanders can get a streak going it changes things up in a hurry.

As for the Rangers they apparently have tons of cap space compared to some of the other contending teams who are over or about to be over the cap.  If the new GM is a deal-maker there may be some TDL deals to be had (Claude Giroux anyone?)

Longer run the Rangers have almost too much talent in the pipeline.  No way to keep everyone or even get a good look-see at everyone so we will likely be trading away some really good packages of prospects for help-me-now type players.  I hate that model but there seems to be no way around it. 

On 1/4/2022 at 4:40 PM, EM31 said:

A couple of things need to happen for you guys.  First of all the new stadium needs to become an advantage as opposed to the liability is seems to be today.  With a disproportionate number of your remaining games at home that would then become a good thing.  Obviously they also need to get healthy and stay healthy.  This season and last season for that matter have been seasons of very long streaks for many teams (Rangers, Penguins, you name it).  If the Islanders can get a streak going it changes things up in a hurry.

As for the Rangers they apparently have tons of cap space compared to some of the other contending teams who are over or about to be over the cap.  If the new GM is a deal-maker there may be some TDL deals to be had (Claude Giroux anyone?)

Longer run the Rangers have almost too much talent in the pipeline.  No way to keep everyone or even get a good look-see at everyone so we will likely be trading away some really good packages of prospects for help-me-now type players.  I hate that model but there seems to be no way around it. 

I would love to see the Rangers make a big splash at the deadline and it might be stupid or unrealistic but I want the Cup now. I haven’t seen it in my lifetime and I’m sick of waiting. You mention Claude Giroux and I’ve never been a fan of his but if he can help us win then I can accept that. This mock trade I saw looks good to me. 

9B3B3784-0B86-4E85-936B-2A1024C16151.jpeg

On 1/4/2022 at 4:44 PM, EM31 said:

For the teams who let Ryan Strome go  (Islanders and Edmonton) ........  

Thank you. thank you, thank you!

Just sayin'

I do like Strome but he can be frustrating at times. It seems like he’s constantly taking penalties in bad spots and I have to wonder how much of his success comes with having Panarin on his line. 

20 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

I do like Strome but he can be frustrating at times. It seems like he’s constantly taking penalties in bad spots and I have to wonder how much of his success comes with having Panarin on his line. 

Strome is selfless.  in addition to apparently being great with the younger players in the locker room he does whatever the team has asked of him. Often that means a supporting role on a line with bigger stars.  At the end of the day that impacts his own statistics and probably the size of his next contract but he seems to have no issues being a team-first guy.

20 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

I would love to see the Rangers make a big splash at the deadline and it might be stupid or unrealistic but I want the Cup now. I haven’t seen it in my lifetime and I’m sick of waiting. You mention Claude Giroux and I’ve never been a fan of his but if he can help us win then I can accept that. This mock trade I saw looks good to me. 

9B3B3784-0B86-4E85-936B-2A1024C16151.jpeg

I would go for this trade.

At the risk of sounding like a politician. This thing, the winning a Stanley cup is "a journey".  I don't think I can remember where a team went from missing out on the playoffs in one year to winning it all the next year.  For most teams it takes two to three years being blooded in the playoffs until they are truly in a spot to win it all.  More if you are the Capitals.

I like getting some additional help for this year (and the next few), but winning a cup now is probably unrealistic.  At the beginning of this season I think most Rangers fans would have accepted making the playoffs as being a good year.  Given how well the team has played so far I have raised my own hopes/expectations to making the playoffs and winning the opening round series.

I do like Claude Giroux but it may be that a trade to bring back JT Miller might be better for us over a 3-year span.  Even that trade would come with issues like how to solve the logjam on the powerplay where we already have challenges about how to fitt both Mika and Breadman in on the first unit.

All of these things are good problems to have.  We could be Edmonton with maybe the best two players in the world but no prayer of a cup because of defense and goaltending.

Edmonton need Georgie big time but have nothing to offer us in return.

• Upvote 1

I have already been surprised by the early results this year but as good as those have been we have had a few blow out defeats against top teams.  Calgary twice, Colorado twice and even the opener against the Capitals.  I think we have become stingier on defense recently but until we start to get results against top teams with greater consistency I think that concerns about this team may be well founded.

Stinkers happen and that game last night was one of them.  It does show up the concerns that the pundits have been voicing about this Rangers team.  This team still gets pushed around by the "heavier" teams in this league and playoff hockey, by it's nature, is a heavier game.  First Nashville and and now Vegas for a 2nd time have shown us up here.

If Drury is going to be "trader Chris" then I expect this will be the primary need

Good win last night against the Sharks bringing us to .500 on tough COVID-racked road trip.

Shesterkin looked great on his 37-save shutout return.

In other news I think the Rangers front office has been too cute by half by bringing up other highly regarded blue line players before they gave Braden Schneider a look-see.  I guess they know that they cannot keep them all and may have been looking to showcase/package some of the others in exchange for help elsewhere.

Braden Schneider had his first NHL game last night and now we can see why they may have been trying to keep him a secret.  He looked more than solid defensively.  Downright poised in fact.  He was hitting everything in sight and even scored a 3rd period goal when the game was still in doubt.  20 years old and already able to play physically at the top level is a big thing.

Let's make sure to let other teams know that he is untouchable in whatever trade discussions are taking place right now  

• Upvote 3

With the top-8 in the east and the 9th-placed team beginning to show signs of separation already there is some thinking that the number of non-playoff teams looking to improve by trading away good players now might be larger than normal years earlier than normal. years  The signs are pointing to a buyers market at the trade deadline and the Rangers have both the cap room and the talent pipeline to be very active.

Claude Giroux is the bast option I have heard and I think he would change the team in a heartbeat.

Toronto, Carolina, Arizona and The Kings up next.  3 of 4 are stiff tests, particularly the first two.  Time to start getting results against top teams.

In other news the Islanders showing signs of waking up from their slumber.  I know Lith likes to pooh pooh the idea but I am still not putting it past them to make some noise yet.

13 hours ago, EM31 said:

Good comeback win against the Maple Leafs tonight.  Carolina Hurricanes up next.

Great game to watch and the energy level at the Garden was OTC. 

When Carolina came out after the 1st. intermission I was very nervous as they were flying around the ice.... but the Rangers stuck to the GP and grinded out a win with good fore checking in Toronto zone and storming the net 

Shesterkin was amazing in the last 2 periods.

The pundits and "wise men' in the TV analyst jobs have not been believers in this Rangers team all year long.  First it was that Shesterkin was stealing wins that the team did not deserve or that we basically got lucky when the schedule-maker served up teams with COVID.   More recently it was that we are not able to get results against top teams.

All of which is why The game against Leafs yesterday and the next on Friday against the 'Canes are the right tests coming at the right time for the Rangers.

Still under the radar even though we have one of the best records in the NHL.  Just the way I like it TBH

I was listening to the MKS this past Thursday, and they were talking Rangers. LaGreca was saying how it's too early to give up on Kaako and Lafrenier., that they are good, young players and they've had to deal with all the covid sh*t and it's not fair to judge them yet. Totally agree. But then, and the reason for this post, the name Patrick Kane came up. My question, to all you Ranger guys. Are there stories out there about a potential big trade? I think the Rangers are very close to being a real contender for the Cup, and Kane would probably put them over the top. Are you guys hearing this stuff, or was it just typical talk show banter?

12 hours ago, section314 said:

I was listening to the MKS this past Thursday, and they were talking Rangers. LaGreca was saying how it's too early to give up on Kaako and Lafrenier., that they are good, young players and they've had to deal with all the covid sh*t and it's not fair to judge them yet. Totally agree. But then, and the reason for this post, the name Patrick Kane came up. My question, to all you Ranger guys. Are there stories out there about a potential big trade? I think the Rangers are very close to being a real contender for the Cup, and Kane would probably put them over the top. Are you guys hearing this stuff, or was it just typical talk show banter?

Here’s one trade rumor floating around. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Not the first time I have heard Patick Kane's name mentioned.

Not sure if I would go that route cause it cost alot but I would consider Kakko as part of a package to bring in Kane. 

It sure would but look at it this way. You have to get through Tampa, and the Rangers are very close right now. Kane puts them over the top, IMHO. 

2 hours ago, faba said:

It will be rough to get out of Eastern conference we have the ammo to get better go for it=nothing is guaranteed any year 

We have cap room and enough prospects in the pipeline to be able to offer one, the other or both if the deal is right.  Question is are we looking for a short term rental or someone who is going to be retained for 3 years or so?

The 2nd issue is that sellers probably already know they will be sellers but they hope for a last-minute bidding war to drive up prices.  Buyers (who may be correct this year) have the exact opposite hopes.  i.e bargains to be had if you wait long enough.  All of which means that it is unlikely that many of the bigger deals will happen early.  We have to wait for this all to play out in the weeks and days leading up to the trade deadline.

Claude Giroux or JT Miller as forward help and some additional beef on the blue line.

2 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Very nice job by MSG and the Rangers for Henrik night. If you didn't get to see the ceremony go find a replay.

Tried to describe it to my GF… wanted to say he was the greatest Ranger goalie but then stopped.  Not sure he was.   

He is a GREAT Ranger, but Richter won a cup.   Thoughts????

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Tried to describe it to my GF… wanted to say he was the greatest Ranger goalie but then stopped.  Not sure he was.   

He is a GREAT Ranger, but Richter won a cup.   Thoughts????

I'm too young for Richter so Lundqvist is the goalie I grew up with. In an attempt to my bias aside I still think Henrik is the greatest Rangers goalie ever.  The 94 team Richter won with was far better than anything Hank dragged deep into the playoffs and that's not to say Richter wasn't great because he was. I'm sure there are some fans that would love to throw Giacomin in the conversation as well.

• Upvote 2

One of the most memorable hockey games of my life, I rooted against the Rangers. As did the entire Garden.

It was the Sunday night Giacomin took the ice after being traded to the Red Wings. The crowd chanted “Eddie” all night long.
He got the win, I want to say the final was 4-1 and a lot of us were upset he lost his shutout on a meaningless 3rd period goal.

• Upvote 1