NY Jets 8th Most Valuable NFL Franchise

Some interesting stuff here. Follow the link for details. Copy and pasted below.

Cowboys 1, Bills at 32.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/new-york-jets/?sh=44ab42f85712

#8 New York Jets

https%3A%2F%2Fi.forbesimg.com%2Fmedia%2Flists%2Fteams%2Fnew-york-jets_416x416.jpg
TEAM VALUE
$4.05BCalculated August 2021
OWNER(S)
Johnson Family
CHAMPIONSHIPS
YEAR PURCHASED
PRICE PAID
$635M
REVENUE
$345M
OPERATING INCOME
$8.4M
DEBT/VALUE
13%
PLAYER EXPENSES
$198M
GATE RECEIPTS
$2M
WINS-TO-PLAYER COST RATIO
REVENUE PER FAN
$7
METRO AREA POPULATION
19.2M
MEDIA PARTNERS
Tv: WCBS 2, SNY; Radio: ESPN 98.7 FM, 1050 AM
Revenues and operating income are for the 2020 season and net stadium debt service.

After two failed seasons under head coach Adam Gase, the Jets tasked former 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh with righting the ship. Saleh is widely regarded as one of the best coaches in the league, and has received praise from every player and coach who has worked under him. Saleh will have new weapon Zach Wilson, taken by the Jets with the second pick, at the helm of his offense, which will look to second-year wideout Denzel Mims to be Wilson's big target.
NUMBERS
Valuation Breakdown

Sport9 $3,669M
Market10 $146M
Stadium11 $45M
Brand12 $189M
9. Portion of franchise's value attributable to revenue shared among all teams.
10. Portion of franchise's value attributable to its city and market size.
11. Portion of franchise's value attributable to its stadium.
12. Portion of franchise's value attributable to its brand.
Value Change
14%
1-YEAR CHANGE

9%
ANNUALIZED CHANGE

Historical
Value1
$4.1B

Revenue2
$345M

OperatingIncome3
$8.4M

PlayerExpenses5
$198M

Win-to-Player CostRatio7

VENUE
https%3A%2F%2Fimages.forbes.com%2Fmedia%2Flists%2Fteams%2Fvenue%2Fnew-york-jets.jpg
MetLife Stadium
OWNER(S)
MetLife Stadium Company
CONCESSIONAIRE
Delaware North
YEAR OPENED
AVERAGE TICKET PRICE
$110
SEATING CAPACITY
COST TO BUILD
$1,400M
MAJOR SPONSORS

16 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Woody paid 635 Mil

Worth 4 B now..

WOW

I posted these figures a couple of times when folks were calling for Woody to sell the team or hire better.   As you see, he has no incentive to do better or sell the team.  It just keeps appreciating no matter if we're in first or last place.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Origen said:

Why would they ever sell?  Unless Band-Aids get recalled they'll never need the money, so this is just a really, really, really, well paying feather in the portfolio.

After they did their greatest accomplishment in Jets history (back to back afc championship losses) they continued to raise ticket prices for years after that (when they sucked) and people kept paying. So maybe woody isn’t really that dumb after all.

8 minutes ago, BP said:

After they did their greatest accomplishment in Jets history (back to back afc championship losses) they continued to raise ticket prices for years after that (when they sucked) and people kept paying. So maybe woody isn’t really that dumb after all.

Complete.  Utter.  Lie.

The Jets have not raised ticket prices since 2008.  In fact, ticket prices have gone down in that time period.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

and the gambling site alliances are not even close to maturing.

I've been wondering if all the new gambling alliances are going to give rise to scandal.  For example.  Marginal players being approached by who ever with a cash gift.  All they have to do is drop a pass, fumble the ball, miss a block.  What ever.  

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Woody paid 635 Mil

Worth 4 B now..

WOW

Inflation cuts into a little bit of that. It takes $1.59 now to equal the value of a dollar in 2000.  So that makes the Jets worth about 3.02 Billion in 2000 dollars.  An increase in real, (inflation accounted for), value of about 5.4% a year.  Still a great payoff.

6 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

Inflation cuts into a little bit of that. It takes $1.59 now to equal the value of a dollar in 2000.  So that makes the Jets worth about 3.02 Billion in 2000 dollars.  An increase in real, (inflation accounted for), value of about 5.4% a year.  Still a great payoff.

compare to putting it in the S&P500 it's a great investment.

getting to laugh at the Anti owners here makes it a grand slam

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, BP said:

That’s not true. 

Completely true.

My Mezzanine Corner seats went from $75 (2001) to $95 (2004) to $125 (2008) and have remained at $125 through this very day (2021).  

The "outrage" should have happened in Giants Stadium when ticket prices almost doubled between 2000 and 2008.  The Johnson's have been very good to paying fans since MetLife opened.

I myself had expected my seats to go from $125 to $175 in a brand new building, it's what I budgeted in my head when making the decision.

$50 x 10 games x 12 years = $6,000

The PSL on that seat = $4,000

It's why PSL's are an argument that only non-PSL owners care about.  The Jets covered the cost of our PSL's by not raising ticket prices for 12 years in a brand new building.

SAR I

42 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

the bill have $2B due to the sport (revenue sharing) but the Jets have it at like $3B?

the value of the team is very high due to location.

No doubt about it.  The NY Metro area has 20M people.  Compare that to, say, Miami at 6M or Kansas City at 2M and there is no doubt that there are more Jets fans on the planet that fans of any other team except, maybe, the Giants, Bears, and Cowboys whose populations and/or traditions provide their lofty status.  The Jets have been Top 3 in NFL attendance, and #1 in the AFC, since MetLife opened and we've had some really bad teams.

The Johnsons have done very well for themselves.  And they have been, in turn, good to their team (facilities, coaching, operations) and their fans (no price increases).  Now all we have to do is win.  Shouldn't be too hard.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Completely true.

My Mezzanine Corner seats went from $75 (2001) to $95 (2004) to $125 (2008) and have remained at $125 through this very day (2021).  

The "outrage" should have happened in Giants Stadium when ticket prices almost doubled between 2000 and 2008.  The Johnson's have been very good to paying fans since MetLife opened.

I myself had expected my seats to go from $125 to $175 in a brand new building, it's what I budgeted in my head when making the decision.

$50 x 10 games x 12 years = $6,000

The PSL on that seat = $4,000

It's why PSL's are an argument that only non-PSL owners care about.  The Jets covered the cost of our PSL's by not raising ticket prices for 12 years in a brand new building.

SAR I

This is your dumbest take

• Upvote 1

Just now, nj meadowlands said:

This is your dumbest take

Gameday ticket prices doubled from 2000-2008 and didn't go up a dime from 2008-2021.

And that lack of ticket price increase offset the PSL's completely.  

That's not a "take".  That's just the truth.

SAR I

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Johnsons have done very well for themselves.  And they have been, in turn, good to their team (facilities, coaching, operations) and their fans (no price increases).  Now all we have to do is win.  Shouldn't be too hard, unless your a trust fund baby who has never worked a day in his life.

SAR I

fixed

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Jets have been Top 3 in NFL attendance, and #1 in the AFC, since MetLife opened and we've had some really bad teams.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2019/sort/homePct

Attracting the most (or near most) fans in the largest NFL stadium (seating capacity) in the largest market is no great feat.

Filling said stadium is a better measurement of the fervor of fans:

In 2019 The Jets ranked 20th in the NFL in Capacity filled: 95.2%

In 2018 The Jets ranked 22nd in the NFL in Capacity filled: 94.5%

In 2017 The Jets ranked 20th in the NFL in Capacity filled: 94%

You could put helmets on horses and call it football and you could attract crowds. But Jets fans ar not as fervent (according to capacity filled) as the majority of NFL teams. And season ticket money is barely a drop in the bucket in revenue.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

I posted these figures a couple of times when folks were calling for Woody to sell the team or hire better.   As you see, he has no incentive to do better or sell the team.  It just keeps appreciating no matter if we're in first or last place.

That's the actual key. We are the worst team in terms of winning percentage in all sports since 2016 and yet the value doubles.  I state that the NFL, in fact all sports, should somehow incentivize teams to be competitive.   

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Gameday ticket prices doubled from 2000-2008 and didn't go up a dime from 2008-2021.

And that lack of ticket price increase offset the PSL's completely.  

That's not a "take".  That's just the truth.

SAR I

Look at what I highlighted.  Your TAKE is that PSL holders don't care about the PSL's.  That's just self-obsessed dumbassery.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

He doesn't realize any of the gains until he sells.

3 hours ago, Origen said:

Yeah, but it was in Leon's will that when he died, the team got sold.  Family had no say and not enough $$$ to come close to keep it.

That's true.  Funny thing is he didn't put it in his will until a month before he died.  

Story was his son John wanted nothing to do with owning an NFL team.  He wanted the money.  His daughter Connie, who was some kind of politician in Penn.   Loved the NFL, and wanted to own the Jets.  She also had a hand in hiring Rich Kotite. 

According to the story the siblings were really at one another about it.  Leon just said screw it, and put it in his will that none of his family could have any interest in the new ownership.

Maybe  Leon figured  if she thought Kotite was going to be a good HC maybe she shouldn't own the team.  :) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

He doesn't realize any of the gains until he sells.

He can just skim off the top whatever he needs to make sure his great great great granddaughter's nanny can go to Paris for the week if he wants her to.  If they rolled them up, he would use $100 bills as toilet paper because that's how much his sh*t is worth.