The Jets won a football game today

Maxman

26 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am also not too fired up to use another super high pick on the OL.  I get that Linderbaum is seen as an elite prospect in some circles, but I am wary of using a top 10 pick on a sub-300 lb C.  He does seem to be a good fit for this scheme.

I think it becomes a more reasonable thought when we are looking at a near perfect match of need and prospect.  The fact that we have all the extra picks makes the idea much more reasonable.  As Jet fans we like to look back to the last time we had anything resembling "glory days" and in 2009 we had 4 guys that were 1st rounders on the Oline - 2 were ours and Faneca and Woody were 1sts for other teams and high level FAs.

Depending where our 2nd first lands, I can certainly see going for Linderbaum or trading down to a spot where he makes sense.  Of course if he is that good a player that creates a bunch of risk.

i dont believe we need an Elite Center or line for that matter at the expense of getting someone Elite at a bigger position of need.

i dont think upgrading Fant or MGV moves the needle that much that it helps us win as oppose too getting a TE, LB, EDGE.

I could argue that instead of Brick at #4 we could have drafted TE Vernon Davis and maybe won a SB.  or Haloti Ngata. then drafted a T like Andrew Whitworth who was picked 2nd rd at 55. he had 1 more PB and played in around 70 more games then Brick. or Jahri Evans who had 6 PBs and played in 20 more games and was a 4th rd  (104) pick 

and they dont have to be better than Brick. they could have been just good. a little below him.

see a good HC can beat a great OL with schemes and blitzs. they can only block the guy in front of them. 

can we pay 3 OL big money? no. so in 4 years were going to let one and maybe 2 go. why use a #1 pick on someone who will be here for 4 years? thats why when you find guys like Fant and MGV who are cheap and good you keep them.

you got to realize that the party's over after 2022. no more multiple 1st and 2nd rd picks. were going to be like everyone else. we need to spread out those 1st rd picks. too many in one position.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And for everyone I list your argument falls deeper and deeper in the irrelevant pool.

'Lots of NFL QBs struggle in their first season.  Hell their first 6 games. 

Do what no Darnold believer would and state your expectation statistically for Wilson next year. I feel very comfortable that the odds are heavily in my favor. Unlike you, however, I can acknowledge that I may be wrong. 

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

The assets (cap space, draft picks, pieces on the roster now) are certainly in-place for a competitive 2022, if managed correctly.

And if Zach materially improves vs his first season so far.  

Unless we go the "Veteran Roster Carries Mark Sanchez" route, it'll still depend on Zach being very good in 2022.

If JD hedges Zach with a competent QB2, I don’t see how we could be worse even if we drastically overpay for FAs.

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Do what no Darnold believer would and state your expectation statistically for Wilson next year. I feel very comfortable that the odds are heavily in my favor. Unlike you, however, I can acknowledge that I may be wrong. 

When I'm wrong I readily admit I'm wrong.  What I dont do is after admitting a mistake follow it with a dig unlike you, adding an insult to you being wrong.  

But really this ridiculous.  Almost every NFL QB struggle early.  Out of all the rookie QBs who start, 100's of QBs, who DIDNT struggle?  Marino, Burrow, Cam, Herbert?  Seems to me those that dont struggle are the outliers 

15 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Hope youre not even thinking of arguing that Pat Ryan was anywhere close to Kenny O

Never. But I distinctly remember people arguing that "Pat Ryan should be the starter" plenty of times. Just laughing at how the more things change, the more they stay the same. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, doitny said:

you got to realize that the party's over after 2022. no more multiple 1st and 2nd rd picks. were going to be like everyone else. we need to spread out those 1st rd picks. too many in one position.

Not if we trade down (maybe multiple times).  BB did that for years.  I'd love for us to copy that model.  

20 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not if we trade down (maybe multiple times).  BB did that for years.  I'd love for us to copy that model.  

you think that JD is going to keep trading down for 1st rd picks? 

i rather stay were we are and get the best guy on defense we can.

On 11/30/2021 at 10:20 PM, Maxman said:

True story I had a Ken O'Brien poster in my freshman dorm room.  The 80's were a crazy time.

Although Obie is much maligned, folks forget that he could play.  Probably the most accurate long ball gunslinger we ever had.  Loved going to games and watching him connect with Toon and Walker on those massive bombs.

Problem for him/us was that Obie was a statue in the pocket, which was not helped by an awful O line and idiot signal caller in Joe Walton.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Although Obie is much maligned, folks forget that he could play.  Probably the most accurate long ball gunslinger we ever had.  Loved going to games and watching him connect with Toon and Walker on those massive bombs.

Problem for him/us was that Obie was a statue in the pocket, which was not helped by an awful O line and idiot signal caller in Joe Walton.

He was a true deep ball thrower.  

I mean long ball.

You know what I mean--yeah, he was fun to watch.  Top 5 Jet QB all time--which isn't a high bar or big club.  

• Upvote 1

On 11/30/2021 at 10:20 PM, Maxman said:

True story I had a Ken O'Brien poster in my freshman dorm room.  The 80's were a crazy time.

4 hours ago, peebag said:

geez Maxie

s-l1600.jpg

I wonder what your roommate thought of this.  Maybe Greenbean can get him on the next podcast for an interview?

• Haha 1