2022 New York Mets thread

Scott Dierking

On 7/2/2022 at 7:20 PM, section314 said:

Time for the Mets to wake up and smell the coffee. Every game our pitchers give up multiple homers, and our hitters have been hit a league high amount of times. Buck should tell these guys in no uncertain times that it’s time to be a “little high and wild.” We have to stop  letting some of these stiffs on other teams get so comfortable in the box. We are 70+ games into this season. The Met pitching staff has to finally grow a pair.

Sherzer starts tomorrow & deGrom started his 30 day rehab yesterday. Getting close to having our dynamic duo together again and putting fear in the hearts of batters. 

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mets-ace-jacob-degrom-strikes-out-five-of-six-batters-faced-in-first-minor-league-rehab-start-of-2022/

New York Mets ace Jacob deGrom made his first minor-league rehab start Sunday since suffering a stress reaction in his right shoulder in spring training. DeGrom was scheduled for 25 pitches or two innings against the Jupiter Hammerheads (Marlins) at Clover Park in Port St. Lucie, Florida.

"He's hit every benchmark, and we're happy with that," Mets manager Buck Showalter told MLB.com on Saturday. "We'll see how he does on Sunday, and we'll see if there's any adjustments to the schedule we have that need to be made. We know where it could take us."

Performance certainly wasn't an issue on Saturday as deGrom faced six hitters, striking out five and hitting the other with an errant pitch. He needed 24 pitches to get through his 1 2/3 innings, with 18 of those pitches being strikes. He was lighting up the radar gun, topping 100 miles per hour six times and averaging 99 miles per hour with his four-seamer. He was also effective with his cutter, throwing it eight times and getting five swings (all misses). It should be noted, of course, this was against Class A hitters who aren't used to seeing pitchers the caliber of deGrom. 

Sunday's outing begins deGrom's 30-day minor league rehab clock. The Mets can activate him at any time during those 30 days, but the latest he can be activated is Aug. 1 (barring a setback). That is the day before the trade deadline, so the Mets will either have their ace back in the fold, or they'll know they need to supplement their pitching staff before the deadline.

Max Scherzer has missed close to seven weeks with an oblique injury and will rejoin the rotation Tuesday. The Mets have only three starting pitchers on their active roster at the moment. Here is the team's rotation depth chart:

6 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Need to take advantage of these series vs Reds and Marlins.  It would be amazing to get one the Ace’s back by the Braves series.  

Scherzer starts tomorrow in Cincy.   On a normal 5 day rotation, he would miss the Braves.  Wonder if they push him back a day for the first game of the Brave series.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

You have to laugh as a Mets fans.  Finally get an Ace back, Max returns, give 6 scoreless and 11 K's and the bat go silent.  lmfao 

Bats have been pretty quiet over the last week or two.  Been awfully reliant on the HR to score during this rough stretch, which is not the way they were winning earlier in the year  It is one thing to be shut out by Justin Verlander, but Nick Lodolo. 

Gotta start swinging the bats again.

So I'm pretty sure Marte's hit in the 9th was foul, but man, that type of hit has gotta be one of the hardest things to eyeball in all of sports. 

That said people can complain about the Mets being in a lull all they want, since their west coast trip they've still won 5 of 7 series, including their last two. Every single team has highs and lulls over 162 but the Mets are still finding ways to win games and that's what good teams do.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That said people can complain about the Mets being in a lull all they want, since their west coast trip they've still won 5 of 7 series, including their last two. Every single team has highs and lulls over 162 but the Mets are still finding ways to win games and that's what good teams do.

20 games over .500 at the halfway point of the season and doing it without their 2 best pitchers for most of that time….Sign me up!

Next 11 games b4 ASB will be huge. Atlanta & Miami will be tough. If we win all 3 series, then we are in good shape coming back from the break. 
Really hoping deGrom starts the 7/13 game in place of Williams. Even if only getting us 75 pitches. Basset needs to find his groove again. Carrasco too. 

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

20 games over .500 at the halfway point of the season and doing it without their 2 best pitchers for most of that time….Sign me up!

Next 11 games b4 ASB will be huge. Atlanta & Miami will be tough. If we win all 3 series, then we are in good shape coming back from the break. 
Really hoping deGrom starts the 7/13 game in place of Williams. Even if only getting us 75 pitches. Basset needs to find his groove again. Carrasco too. 

If you’re Buck you gotta hold Scherzer back a game so he starts against Atl. 

On 7/6/2022 at 11:23 AM, Lith said:

Bats have been pretty quiet over the last week or two.  Been awfully reliant on the HR to score during this rough stretch, which is not the way they were winning earlier in the year  It is one thing to be shut out by Justin Verlander, but Nick Lodolo. 

Gotta start swinging the bats again.

All we needed was an extra inning and they have awaken!!! 

lol

Boy was that getting dicey. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

All we needed was an extra inning and they have awaken!!! 

lol

Boy was that getting dicey. 

They may have caught a break in the 9th, but it sure was nice to see them explode for 5 in the 10th.  That was a big win; really would have hated to see them drop 2 of 3 to the Reds in the heat of a pennant race.

Hopefully it carries over to tonight.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Lith said:

They may have caught a break in the 9th, but it sure was nice to see them explode for 5 in the 10th.  That was a big win; really would have hated to see them drop 2 of 3 to the Reds in the heat of a pennant race.

Hopefully it carries over to tonight.

10 more!  This could be the warm up they needed!  And how good was Williams last night?  Wow.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

10 more!  This could be the warm up they needed!  And how good was Williams last night?  Wow.

Braves losing gets us back up to a 3.5 game lead. Would love to be up a minimum of 4 games before the Braves series. Want to be leading the division going into the break and then start the 2nd half with Sherzer & deGrom healthy.

• Upvote 2

I just watched the Keith ceremonies. I thought he did a good job on his speech. I am surprised and didn’t know his teammates on the Mets thought of him as their main leader. I’d heard rumors that Herzog didn’t like him wanted to get rid of him and didn’t think he was a positive influence on the Cardinals. Of course if you watched his play on the field he’s one of my if not my favorite all time Met except for Seaver. Keith mentioned in his interview with Steve Gelbs a piece in The Athletic about how his teammates really felt about him. Here’s the link https://theathletic.com/3408355/2022/07/08/keith-hernandez-mets-jersey-retirement/?amp=1

I can remember the beginning of Keith being considered a good and knowledgeable baseball communicator after he wrote his book Pure Baseball in 1995. When it came out many baseball people and experts thought it was one of the smartest books ever on the subject of playing the game of baseball. image.jpeg.37ae76f80bac0e66d434e1c4e6b08c37.jpegimage.jpeg.58cea2f48d06d301517efaef2dba6c9c.jpeg

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, faba said:

Take a win any way we get it Braves continue to be red hot 

Keith we could not lose on your day. Can not wait Aug 10th  my next Mets game at Citi

Need this one today to head into the Atlanta series with at least a 2.5 game lead. Then hopefully we can pummel the Reds before the break and return of Jake

Going to be a battle of attrition tonight but lets just say, I have zero confidence that the Mets remain in first after this series.  At this point, I'm just hoping they can come back from the All-Star break healthy and hopefully go on a run to keep themselves in the playoff hunt.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Going to be a battle of attrition tonight but lets just say, I have zero confidence that the Mets remain in first after this series.  At this point, I'm just hoping they can come back from the All-Star break healthy and hopefully go on a run to keep themselves in the playoff hunt.

This is the kiind of game that they really need Scherzer to step up. And the offense to score a few runs if he does. 

Can't waste any more great starts like Walker yesterday or Scherzer in Cincy last week.

11 hours ago, Lith said:

This is the kiind of game that they really need Scherzer to step up. And the offense to score a few runs if he does. 

Can't waste any more great starts like Walker yesterday or Scherzer in Cincy last week.

Please copy & paste this same statement tomorrow…. Just change the name of the SP!

200.gif

So let it be written…. So let it be done!

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's really amazing how Diaz even makes it to the mound at this point on account of having to haul his gigantic balls along with him every where he goes. 

Boy, he certainly has become a man this season. Remember the guy who 1st came here with the electric arm who only was effective when he had a 2-3 run lead…sometimes?

Now he trusts his stuff and let’s it rip. Filthy stuff. We need him to come in during 1 run games against the Braves, Dodgers, Houston and Yanks get 4-5 outs a few times in preparation for the postseason 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Lith said:

You just say things and they keeping happening when you do.  I like it.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

You just say things and they keeping happening when you do.  I like it.  

OK.  I will give it another shot.  Split these next two in Atlanta and then 3 of 4 in Wrigley to head into the All Star break.  Including wins in Chicago for the Firday and Saturday games, since I will be at both of those. 

Have not seen a live Met game since 2019; really looking forward to this weekend..

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Boy, he certainly has become a man this season. Remember the guy who 1st came here with the electric arm who only was effective when he had a 2-3 run lead…sometimes?

Now he trusts his stuff and let’s it rip. Filthy stuff. We need him to come in during 1 run games against the Braves, Dodgers, Houston and Yanks get 4-5 outs a few times in preparation for the postseason 

A62A6944-B7ED-4E49-9F77-363233FB7CFA.jpeg

• Sympathy 2

6 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

He has always had the filthy stuff, which is what made his struggles of the last few seasons all the more furstrating.  He would blow guys away, look unhittable, then hang a slider or leave a fastball over the plate and the game would be tied.

He has eliminated the mistakes this season and has become nearly unhittable.