Second half offensive game plan

BP

5 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The Dolphins made a clear choice to eliminate any chance of the boot game in the 2nd half.  Crash play side zone runs and blitz into the boot.  Teams do this to Iowa weekly because those are the staples of the Iowa offense.  Iowa rarely has a counter in the passing game because 1) Their dropback concepts are atrocious and outdated. 2) Their WRs can’t win consistently in 1 on 1 matchups.  This is where iowas TEs come into play.  They can win 1 on 1

They usually counter with more ISO leads in the run game and that generally is successful.  The jets did this a few times in the 2nd half yesterday with success .  Wish they had more of those.

Yes. I was confused we didn't go back to the TEs more as we did in 1H given how well that worked earlier in the game. 

On the point of blitz recognition, even on the Post Game when they were going at Zach hard they showed one in slow mo and he moved his RB to the overload side and bad a TE there but there was a miscommunication and they both released leaving Wilson a sitting duck. Was just the one play they broke down, but at least one of the sacks was execution.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Copernicus said:

According to Jets X Factor's Joe Blewett the combination of LT McDermott and LG Feeney were "the worst combo to ever take a snap in NFL history", and that this was an actual stat.

(But it's more fun to just blame Zach and call him a bust)

i would like to know how he got that stat? especially since this was there 1st game of the year.

these 2 weren't good, but to say what he did is not a stat just his opinion.

3 hours ago, Copernicus said:

According to Jets X Factor's Joe Blewett the combination of LT McDermott and LG Feeney were "the worst combo to ever take a snap in NFL history", and that this was an actual stat.

Yeah. It's soooo fun to realize we are yet again stuck in a 3 year (optimistically 2) cycle of QB suck. What a party.

Complaining about a lack of adjustment seems like an odd take.  This is the first time this sh*tty team has had any success.  They probably led more in that game than in the ones they won.  I agree that I am baffled by the lack of screen passes, but they certainly were trying things.  Being at street free agent level at LT probably had more to do with whatever you are complaining about.

• Upvote 2

It has been a consistent thing all season that we fail to pick up blitzes. Not that our offensive line gets beaten (although they do that plenty as well) but that guys just come through untouched and unnoticed. I don't think it's all on Zach but it's certainly more evident when he's playing. Everything is chaotic and everything is a struggle.

It was something I was saying even during the Tennessee and Atlanta games when I watched the all 22 - Especially with play action - Every time they'd run it everyone is picked up and you'd see it's effectiveness in putting the defence off balance. When we'd do it there was always a guy chasing Zach instantly. There's a clear lack of recognition and either the scheming is horrible or the guy's on the field just can't execute. I imagine it's a bit of both and a consequence of having such a ridiculous amount of inexperience on board. 

If we had our full complement of players on the offensive line and at WR, I would be a bit more harsh with LaFleur's play calling in the second half. Jailbreak blitzes and receivers who cannot separate is a recipe for disaster. The addition of Fant and Moore would have changed the trajectory of the second half. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Like in the Eagles game, these teams know that simple blitzes will upend the entire Jets offense. The whole stadium seemed to know that the Dolphins DBs were coming off the corner, but Wilson never did anything about it—not one time. It’s either the worst coached team in football or the QB is a mush. Just bizarre that they have no answers for these things week after week.

how about a combination of both..  since Wilson’s return in Week 12, the offense has regressed.

Including the team’s 31-24 loss to the Dolphins in Week 15, the Jets offense has averaged just 18 points and 257.75 yards over the past four games with Wilson under center. They haven’t cracked 300 offensive yards and have only scored more than 20 points once during that stretch.

Wilson is supposed to be the key to unlocking the Jets offense after Joe Douglas picked him second overall this past April. But instead, the Jets haven’t mustered much in his return and the offense looks lost heading into the final month of the season.

12 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Meh. Jets X-factor is like a High School newspaper. 

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Like in the Eagles game, these teams know that simple blitzes will upend the entire Jets offense. The whole stadium seemed to know that the Dolphins DBs were coming off the corner, but Wilson never did anything about it—not one time. It’s either the worst coached team in football or the QB is a mush. Just bizarre that they have no answers for these things week after week.

Happy Joel Mchale GIF by ABC Network

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1