‘Oh, the pain’: Want to experience Jets misery? We sat with ex-WFAN host Joe Benigno for Sunday’s collapse vs. Buccaneers

51 minutes ago, GREAT WHITE HYPE said:
Updated: Jan. 03, 2022, 8:39 a.m. | Published: Jan. 03, 2022, 8:01 a.m.
joe benigno Joe Benigno with fellow long-suffering Jets fan Kenny Scarabaggio late in Sunday's loss to the Buccaneers, after Tom Brady's game-winning touchdown pass.

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Joe Benigno rested his chin in his left hand, nervous about what the Jets might do next. Run the ball? Try to draw the Buccaneers offside? Just kick the field goal?

So much had gone right for Benigno’s Jets on Sunday, while trying to stun Tom Brady and the Bucs as 14.5-point underdogs. They couldn’t keep this up, could they?

Benigno — the former longtime WFAN host and New Jersey’s quintessential, decades-suffering Jets fan — stared at the near end zone, from his seat in section 231A at MetLife Stadium. Fourth-and-2, from the Bucs’ 7-yard line, to maybe seal the win with two minutes left.

And then Zach Wilson lurched forward — a quarterback sneak for no gain. Coming out of a timeout, no less. Benigno’s jaw dropped.

“What is that call?!” he yelled in his familiar, thick Jersey accent. “That was a terrible play call. They took a timeout, and that’s what you give me? I’m tellin’ ya, this freaking coach, he’s gonna be gone in two years.”

Spend a Jets game sitting with Benigno — especially a gut-punch loss like Sunday’s home finale — and you understand how he and so many longtime Jets fans wear their chosen football misery with pride, like a man who walks across hot coals as a hobby.

For three hours, Benigno mixed Jets takes with sarcastic one liners and gallows humor. During the fourth quarter, an 8-year-old boy nearby asked him how many years until the Jets win the Super Bowl again.

“Maybe by the time you’re 50!” Benigno said with a laugh.

So no, the Jets couldn’t keep up Sunday’s success. They led by 14 points until almost the end of the third quarter, and by four points when Wilson got stuffed on fourth-and-2. Then, naturally, Brady marched 93 yards for a touchdown — Bucs 28, Jets 24.

When it was all over, Benigno slumped back in his seat, his arms crossed, his voice quiet. Another loss for his Jets, 4-12 this year under rookie head coach Robert Saleh, 27-69 since their last winning season, 53 years removed from their only Super Bowl.

“I don’t know what to say, man,” he said. “I’ve been watching the same game for 50-plus years. This same s--t. It never, never changes. What a brutal loss.”

The Benigno you heard on WFAN for 25 years — until he retired in November 2020 — wasn’t an act. He really does moan “oh, the pain” about the Jets. His daughter even had it printed on the back of a jersey for him.

Get him on the phone, and he’ll start unloading about the Jets — a free therapy session of sorts — before apologizing about going on so long.

He blames his father. In the early 1960s, Joe Benigno Sr. told his son about an Alabama quarterback named Joe Namath. Benigno loved him. So when the Jets drafted Namath in 1965, Benigno went all-in with them.

“What a mistake,” Benigno said. “One of the biggest mistakes of my life.”

Joe Sr. fought in World War II at the Battle of the Bulge and spent nine months in a German prisoner-of-war camp, around age 18. When he came home, he turned his son on to sports. They’d attend NBA doubleheaders at the old Madison Square Garden.

The Benignos lived in Garfield and then East Paterson (now Elmwood Park). Joe Sr. embraced a “devil-may-care” lifestyle — heavy on gambling and extra jobs, to cover for his losses — and Benigno suspects his dad suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder. He died of a heart attack at age 45 in 1967, when Benigno was 13. The family moved to Paramus and lived with Benigno’s grandparents.

His grandfather didn’t see value in sports. So by the time the Jets reached Super Bowl III, in January 1969, “it was kind of me against the world,” Benigno said. His uncle pulled his grandpa aside: “You’re leaving him alone and letting him watch this game.” Benigno’s uncle had just driven him to a Philadelphia hotel so he could watch the AFL Championship against the Raiders, since the game was blacked out locally.

Benigno bet about $200 on Super Bowl III, even though he wasn’t sure how he’d pay it off if he lost. After Namath shocked the Colts and the world, one of Benigno’s buddies paid up by giving him a box with $20 in pennies. Still, that Super Bowl’s distance in the past — Benigno was 15 then, and 68 now — feels more bitter each year.

“They’ve got to stop showing this,” Benigno said Sunday when Super Bowl III highlights appeared during a pregame video montage.

Back in 1969, he thought he’d chosen a perennial winner. The Jets hosted the Chiefs in a divisional playoff game that season — 22-degree windchill at Shea Stadium. Benigno went with a friend and watched the Jets lose 13-6. Namath threw three interceptions.

On the walk back to the subway, Benigno saw a blind-drunk guy asking, “Eh, did we win?” Benigno shrugged the loss off. Surely, the Jets would return to the Super Bowl soon.

“Little did I know,” he said, half a century later. “I’ve still got a hemorrhoid from that game. Oh, God, the pain.”

Just before kickoff Sunday, a nearby fan leaned down toward Benigno.

“So we’re going to win today, right?” the guy said.

“What are you, delusional?!” Benigno replied.

This was Benigno’s first Jets game in person since 2019, one last chance to see his team face Brady. (He usually attends three or four games a year.) Benigno wore a salt-and-pepper goatee, a green Don Maynard jersey, neon green socks, and a varsity-style Jets jacket that he guessed is 25 years old. It was a balmy day, 55 degrees.

“I could be playing golf today, instead of watching my sh---y team” Benigno said.

This isn’t really true. He has watched every Jets game since 2002, when his wife made him attend a family wedding, at which he pestered the staff for updates on the game.

Benigno — now a grandfather of nine who golfs four days a week — took a winding path to comfortable retirement. He worked as a food salesman for grocery stores — and briefly sold cars at his stepfather’s Volvo dealership — before breaking into sports talk radio in 1994, when he won a WFAN fan contest. He spent the last 13 years of his career hosting one of the station’s most prominent shows with Evan Roberts.

But Benigno — who lives in Mahwah with his second wife of 27 years, Teresa — can’t stay quiet about the Jets. So he launched a podcast called, of course, “Oh The Pain.” And even Sunday, his old WFAN life wasn’t far away.

As game time neared, Benigno opened his buzzing flip phone. (He doesn’t own a smart phone and still makes sports wagers through a bookie friend.) It was Ira “from Staten Island” Lieberfarb, calling from across the stadium.

“What’s up, I?” Benigno said, repeating his greeting from Lieberfarb’s regular WFAN calls.

Lieberfarb said he saw Jets owner Woody Johnson — now back after being the United States’ ambassador in London — talking to players on the field. Benigno loathes Johnson. He thinks he’s “a disaster” whose team “gets pissed on.”

“I’m surprised he’s not having tea and crumpets with the queen!” Benigno said.

joe benigno Joe Benigno celebrates during Sunday's Buccaneers-Jets game.

Benigno isn’t down on everything about the Jets.

He loves Wilson’s potential. He hopes his current pessimism about Saleh winds up being wrong. And he’s a big fan of Braxton Berrios, the under-the-radar wide receiver who has surprised this season. Berrios on Sunday had 77 total yards and two touchdowns. Perhaps most impressively, he made Benigno smile at a Jets game.

Benigno is terrified that Bill Belichick will sign Berrios, a pending free agent who began his career in New England in 2018.

“I can hear Bill now: ‘Stupid Jets. They let him go,’” Benigno said. “Joe Douglas should be waiting for him on the sideline with a contract!”

Benigno had a delightfully cynical quip for every moment Sunday.

After the Jets’ first touchdown: “It’s all downhill from here!”

When Bucs fans cheered Brady’s first touchdown: “What, do you think they go back to Lee Roy Selmon, these people?”

On Denzel Mims, who can’t crack the lineup: “Ah, he’s a dog.”

About lawless Jets games at Shea: “You could smoke a joint in the stands back then!”

Benigno begged the Jets, dozens of times, to “run the f---ing ball” — and then groaned when he learned promising running back Michael Carter was out with a concussion.

“Of course he is,” Benigno said. “Why wouldn’t he be?”

The Jets led 17-10 at halftime, “but I still feel like we’re behind,” he said. He grabbed a water at half — beer makes his gout flare up — and checked his phone. His wife had texted him: “Hey hun, they better sign Braxton NOW! Love you.”

joe benigno Joe Benigno during a nervous moment in Sunday's Buccaneers-Jets game.

“If they win this game, it makes my year,” he said before the second half.

Midway through the third quarter, the Jets stretched their lead to 24-10 with a touchdown. Benigno high-fived Kenny Scarabaggio, a longtime Jets fan — just two missed home games in 40 years — who attended the game with him.

“Are you kidding me?” Benigno said. “This would be a brutal loss if they lost now. I’d rather lose 45-3.”

As the Bucs climbed back into the game, Benigno looked tense, but kept his vocal chords loose during breaks in the action.

He marveled at a shirtless Antonio Brown skipping off the field: “He’s out of his mind.”

He fantasized about winning the Powerball jackpot: “Maybe I can buy the Jets. Hey, Woody, time for somebody who gives a s--t to run this franchise.”

He laughed about the Patriots leading Jacksonville 50-3: “F---ing Bill! Can you go easy on the Jaguars?!”

With four minutes left, he told fans around him, “I’ll be doing the Electric Slide if we win.” They laughed, relishing a four-point lead. Benigno, calloused by decades of Jets failure, interjected: “Hey, let’s not laugh too much.”

Then, fourth-and-2 — Wilson’s failed sneak, an inexplicable play call. Later, Saleh essentially blamed offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur for improperly communicating the play to Wilson. It was, cruelly, supposed to be an end-around to Berrios, Benigno’s guy.

But in the moment, Benigno could only lean back quietly and moan.

“Oh, the pain.”

The dagger came with 15 seconds left — a 33-yard Brady touchdown that improved him to 31-8 against the Jets. Benigno shook his head and kept repeating “unbelievable.” Fans streamed past him, heading for the exits.

One day, he won’t bother subjecting himself to this agony, at least not in person. He and Teresa plan to eventually move to the Fort Myers, Fla., area. But for now, another hellish Jets loss was right there in front of him, 57 years after he chose this godforsaken team.

“This coach should be fired today,” he said. “Unbelievable, bro.”

And he didn’t want to hear any postgame “bulls--t” about how the Jets fought hard against the defending Super Bowl champs.

“That was a disgrace,” he said. “That was a f---ing disgrace. It doesn’t get any worse than that.”

He got up slowly, his shoulders hunched. He climbed the stairs, not looking back, muttering to himself.

“Just brutal.”

Thank you for relying on us to provide the journalism you can trust. Please consider supporting us with a subscription.

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com.

https://www.nj.com/jets/2022/01/oh-the-pain-want-to-experience-jets-misery-we-sat-with-joe-benigno-during-sundays-collapse-vs-buccaneers.html

He's a f***ing ass and an embarrassment to the fan base.  And that's saying something.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, freestater said:

I'm so ******* sick and tired of these sports personalities who entire shtick is the woe-is-me Jets fan. 

They're all the same. Whiney bitches looking for attention. We joke here on the board, but what douchebags like Greenberg and Joe B do is wheedling and embarrassing.  If I was at a sports bar and heard a mope like that in real-life, I'd ridicule them until they left (and yes, I've done so.... to my wifes ever lasting horror)

Yeah, I can be a bully, but ONLY if they deserve it. ? 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

They're all the same. Whiney bitches looking for attention. We joke here on the board, but what douchebags like Greenberg and Joe B do is wheedling and embarrassing.  If I was at a sports bar and heard a mope like that in real-life, I'd ridicule them until they left (and yes, I've done so.... to my wifes ever lasting horror)

Yeah, I can be a bully, but ONLY if they deserve it. ? 

I was at a bar watching Sunday Ticket and there was a Bills fan sitting a few seats down. It was during the Jets/Titans game. Well, he's real loud and pretty ****in dumb to boot. I asked the bartender if he was drunk. She says no, he's just like that all the time. I shrugged it off and continued paying attention to our game. Well, the jets/titans goes into overtime, and the bills game ends. When the Titans converted on a long 3rd down, the guy starts hooting and hollering like he was during the bills game. I ******* explode. The poor bartender is trying to calm me down, a nice couple seated between us excuse themselves, and I just continued going off on this dude. Telling him it wasn't lost on me that I was the only Jets fan there and I'd be happy to solve any problems he has with me. He just shrinks to about an inch tall, stops talking and won't even look directly at me. Lol, it was so funny. Really added a nice little extra to that Titans win that day. 

You and I would get along famously irl, lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

7 minutes ago, freestater said:

I was at a bar watching Sunday Ticket and there was a Bills fan sitting a few seats down. It was during the Jets/Titans game. Well, he's real loud and pretty ****in dumb to boot. I asked the bartender if he was drunk. She says no, he's just like that all the time. I shrugged it off and continued paying attention to our game. Well, the jets/titans goes into overtime, and the bills game ends. When the Titans converted on a long 3rd down, the guy starts hooting and hollering like he was during the bills game. I ******* explode. The poor bartender is trying to calm me down, a nice couple seated between us excuse themselves, and I just continued going off on this dude. Telling him it wasn't lost on me that I was the only Jets fan there and I'd be happy to solve any problems he has with me. He just shrinks to about an inch tall, stops talking and won't even look directly at me. Lol, it was so funny. Really added a nice little extra to that Titans win that day. 

We...we should catch a game together. ? 

That would be a ******* laugh.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/3/2022 at 10:26 PM, freestater said:

Doesn’t even make sense. Wouldn’t the Bills fan want the Jets to beat the Titans? Bills are competing with the Titans for playoff seed, right?

On 1/3/2022 at 10:24 PM, the Claw said:

Imagine your job description read:     “Be mad at the Jets.”  

Then imagine that, someday, someone will write an article about going to see a Jet game with you, and you were mad. 

Getting paid to be frustrated by the Jets. I’d be a millionaire!

• Upvote 1

On 1/3/2022 at 9:31 PM, johnnyjet said:

Hey Beningo….I started going to games in august on 69…hold my beer. My Dad was a die hard Jet fan season ticket holder.  When I was 5 the 1st game I went to was at the Yale bowl. Jets won.  Smh.  

I saw a game there. I don't remember much of the game, but I do remember sitting in the end zone, but all of the action happened at that end. I also remember Joe running (really hobbling) into the end zone for a score. Great memory.

The idea that this game....of alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the possible Jets loses....was so agonizing and horrible is a farce.

Just another media clown that needs a swift kick to the balls.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Facts said:

Doesn’t even make sense. Wouldn’t the Bills fan want the Jets to beat the Titans? Bills are competing with the Titans for playoff seed, right?

Guy was trying to be a dick. Like I said, dumb to boot. It will never cease to amaze me, the people that try to piss me off, then act surprised when they do. 

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Benigno is a circus clown who has made his career whining about the Jets. I don't need to "experience Jets misery" with this idiot, I experience it in my own home.

I thought he was exiled to purgatory for all the sexual harassment/creepy swinger stuff?

I would rather stick needles in my eyes than sit next to Benigno during a Jets game - or to even hear his commentary during a game. Can you imagine putting Greeny and Benigno together for a game?  What torture it would be hear that crap.