If I were the GM of the Jets, this is what I would do this draft.

Alka

I have the same man-crush but on Devon Lloyd LMFAO. I would take him at 10 and trade up for Olave. That's just me. If we walked away from Rounds 1 and 2 with an Edge at 4, Lloyd and Olave I would be happy as a clam going into Rd. 3, even though we lose out on potentially drafting another player in Rd. 2 (which we may not even need to do- swapping 2nd rounders would also be a possibility)  

I like Jordan Davis but, to me, this pick, ESPECIALLY AT 4, would make absolutely no sense. Not gonna argue, don't need a retort. JMHO.  

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

I actually forgot that Rankins was on the team.  For some reason I thought we lost him but Thomas/Shepard/Marshall are not keeping you from drafting Davis and he fits squarely in front of all names mentioned.  Rankins becomes the first guy in rotation, which is nice.  The other problem you're overlooking here is this is the exact same DL as last year expect adding sh*tty Thomas and they were bad.  Very bad.  

You are forgetting that while JFM can play edge, but he is a better DT.  So if you draft an Edge and not Davis, you get JFM back in the middle where he is very good.  Davis isn't that much of an upgrade over JFM (based on his 2020 performance at DT), if at all once you get JFM back inside.

• Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So when/if you were to go to PFF and run a Mock Draft, do you just take the highest rated player at every pick?

I wonder what that would look like.....lets give it a try!

I present to you, the official PFF "BAP JETS DRAFT!", taking the highest rated available player at every pick, no thinking required:

image.thumb.png.dc27c3eec142fe604b995c255b7530e5.png

What the **** does that mean? 

1.  Why the **** am I listening to PFF?  

2. Obviously when I say BAP, I think things like positional value into account.  I also take into account fit for what the team is trying to do and who is actually on the team.  

The idea is that if I think that Ekonwu is the next Ogden, I don't pass on him because I just took Becton.  Likewise, if I love Malik Willis, you had better ******* bet I am taking him whether I think Wilson is going to turn out or not.

The point is that if I think that Davis is a game wrecker, I am taking him even though there is more need and positional value at EDGE, but only if he is a game wrecker and the EDGEs are not. 

I certainly do not think taking the best available player is taking a composite of a bunch of a$$hole draftniks.  In fact, I am a traits guy and would have a do not touch grade on some people those guys love.  I'd take the player I believe is the best and obviously that means that a great QB is better than a great DT. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What the **** does that mean?

Are you being serious?  It would seemingly be pretty obvious "what it meant", it was a little joke about "BAP" thinking.

1.  Why the **** am I listening to PFF?

Ok, someone is being overly serious today.

You're not, I presume.  

2. Obviously when I say BAP, I think things like positional value into account.

That's not BAP then, but sure. 

You seem like you're looking for a fight instead of having a little laugh over how good the "just pick the top rated guy" PFF draft turned out, and I got no time for that today.

I also take into account fit for what the team is trying to do and who is actually on the team.  

The idea is that if I think that Ekonwu is the next Ogden, I don't pass on him because I just took Becton.  Likewise, if I love Malik Willis, you had better ******* bet I am taking him whether I think Wilson is going to turn out or not.

The point is that if I think that Davis is a game wrecker, I am taking him even though there is more need and positional value at EDGE, but only if he is a game wrecker and the EDGEs are not. 

I certainly do not think taking the best available player is taking a composite of a bunch of a$$hole draftniks.  In fact, I am a traits guy and would have a do not touch grade on some people those guys love.  I'd take the player I believe is the best and obviously that means that a great QB is better than a great DT. 

Got it, thanks.  Next time I'll just skip trying to joke with you.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Are you being serious?  It would seemingly be pretty obvious "what it meant", it was a little joke about "BAP" thinking.

Ok, someone is being overly serious today.

You're not, I presume.  

That's not BAP then, but sure. 

You seem like you're looking for a fight instead of having a little laugh over how good the "just pick the top rated guy" PFF draft turned out, and I got no time for that today.

Got it, thanks.  Next time I'll just skip trying to joke with you.

You think I'm mad?  Or serious?  Why?  Because I cursed?  I always curse.  I didn't find your joke particularly funny, but if someone else did, be my guest to continue at my expense. 

Plenty of people actually think that BAP = taking the best guy on the sheets.  Obviously, people differ on who they think is the best player.  You claim that if you consider positional value, it is not BAP, but it is.  IMO the BAP is the one that will most impact your team.   Who is a better player - Tom Brady or Ed Reed?  It could be argued which is the better player, but there is no argument that Brady should be drafted first.  (Besides Ed Reed has been retired for 5 years! Still, you get the point) 

It is true that maybe I am not a straight BAP guy since I care about what is on my team, what is available in free agency and what the expense of these guys will be over the years.  I do take into account things like if I think Thibs is better than Ekowu, but know I can get an EDGE at 10, I might still prefer to go Ekowu + JJ if I think that is better than say Thibs + Cross.  Obviously, extrapolated over an entire draft that means I am not taking a guy I might rate higher by a hair. 

IMO, at the top of the draft, you take the BAP.  People think that Maccagnan did that, but I don't believe that he did.  He took the safest prospects.  A guy like Mahomes was not a very safe pick, but Adams sure was.   Same with Leonard Williams.  Both were good players, but what sets you back more?  Swinging for the fences and missing or never getting the yellow jacket player because he wasn't safe?  I appreciate when guys on message boards have conviction.  I occasionally do on some players, but generally we are not informed enough.  That is cop out, but I am not paid for my conviction.  These guys are, and if they think some DT or CB is the best, they should pull the ******* trigger. 

• Upvote 2

i read some other posts and wonder whether all jet fans have been dropped on their heads as babies - then so occasionally it seems we get a solid post like this - i doubt davis is even a top 10 pick but thanks for the type of analysis we are so lacking from too many so called fans on this board - sound frequency are you listening?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I am not a draft expert.  But from what I read, there appears to be 4 players having the football and personal qualities to pick at 4 and commit to paying over $30mm-Hutchinson, Ekwenu, Walker (elite potential), Sauce.   The Jets at 4 can get that player.  

My vote at 10 would be to take the WR that we think fits best.  If JD is confident he can get an under the radar WR at 35 then so be it.  If he take a WR at 10 take an edge and safety at 35 and 38 (in whatever order).  In the 3rd round take a RB

If we don't trade for a receiver we need to pick one at #10 to help Zach. I can't get on board for two picks in the top 10, neither of which help Zach develop. Our whole defense is predicated on a pass rush. We desperately need an edge to play opposite Carl Lawson. So we should go defensive tackle or corner - two positions that aren't valued in this system, and, best case scenario, they are great, we have to trade them because JD won't break the bank on non premium positions. Run stuffing tackles can be found later in the draft, as well as a corner, LB, etc. We need edge and receiver. I think the Jets have great insight on Jermaine Johnson, and if Thibs isn't there that will and should be the pick if they like him. Best healthy receiver at #10 (London or Wilson). We can still get two top players in round 2 - LB, safety, corner. We need to move the needle on this team. Premium picks you need to have the foresight on if they hit as great players that you would actually pay premium salaries for their position - it's that simple. 

• Sympathy 2

5 hours ago, ncjetman said:

i read some other posts and wonder whether all jet fans have been dropped on their heads as babies - then so occasionally it seems we get a solid post like this - i doubt davis is even a top 10 pick but thanks for the type of analysis we are so lacking from too many so called fans on this board - sound frequency are you listening?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Was Darryl Revis a top 10 pick?  no- 14.  Was Joe Klecko a top 10 pick- no- 6th round

Was Nick Mangold a top 10 pick?  Was Mark Gastineau a top 10 pick?- picked in 2nd round. Was Warren Sapp a top 10 pick- no he wasn't.

Who gives a damn if Davis is a top 10 pick or not?  The point is he won't last until the #35 pick, and if the Jets want him, then they must either trade down in the first round, or pick him at #10.

23 hours ago, Warfish said:

What would really be funny is if JD really was here, posting PFF mocks alongside the rest of us, lol. 

Might just be the funniest thing ever actually.

i believe he has a LT here watching and posting on this board.

i think its just like politics where they leak a bill they think people might not like to see how people like it and if they dont they always come out as say.. what, we never said we would do this. 

at this point JD has to care what we think. he gets his guy to post here some mocks and listens to see what we think. if his draft is so bad in our eyes its not crazy to think he could get fired before the season. remember he replaced Mac after the draft. he never got to see if his draft picks were any good.

imagine JD really wants a OT at 4 and then wants that Center at 35 or even trade into the 1st rd. So he has someone mock it here and has some so called "insider" tweet it and sees how the fan base and media feels about it. if we accept it then he might do it. and Woody wont care if the fan base is happy. but if we hate it and he thinks he will get bad press that might make Woody think he made the wrong pick for GM he might not do it.

23 hours ago, nycdan said:

Our current DTs:  Quinnen, Rankins, Thomas, JFM (who will take snaps inside once we draft a high Edge), Shephard, Marshall.

Where exactly are you going to fit in Davis?  Sure, you can put him in, but then you are letting all those snaps rot on the bench for the depth guys we have in place.

We need the Edge pick.  Our only viable edge players are Lawson, Huff and, dare I say it, Zuniga.  We probably need two edge picks.  Upgrading DT right now is a luxury we do not need in the 1st round.  I get that Davis looks like a stud.  So did Leo.  So did Quinnen.  I could go on.  I'd rather ride or die drafting a position that, if he pans out, will really lift the team rather than draft into an already deep position.

They also added Jacob Martin last month but your point still stands.

On 4/15/2022 at 9:32 AM, Alka said:

The Jets had one of the worst run defenses last year, and they can't rush the QB it seems like forever.  If I were the GM:

#4  The best edge rusher on my board.  If the top 3 edge rushers on my board are gone by #4, and I feel that there is a big drop off, then I draft Jordan Davis at the #4 spot, and I don't care what every Jets fan thinks, and I don't care what anyone thinks.  This guy, aside from being 6'6" tall and 341 pounds, he demands double teaming, and he has defeated double teaming in college.  He will single handedly make this run defense respectable.  He also has the ability to develop into a solid pass rusher.  Again, my fellow Jets fans could "kiss my you know what" if you don't like it.

#10  If I choose a edge rusher at #4, then it's Jordan Davis at #10.  If I have Davis, then I choose either the best edge rusher on my board, or the best wide receiver on my board, whomever I rate higher.  If I rate both of them equally, then I go for the edge rusher.

#35 and #38-  I have no problem trading up into the first round if the wide receiver I want is there, and if I can make the trade to give up #35 and #38.  If I can't make that deal, then I take the best wide receiver at #35, and take the best linebacker at #38, and I will stand firm with that.

3rd round pick-  I pick another wide receiver here, being that I am getting the 2nd tier wide receiver presumably at #35, I want to create competition at the wide receiver spot, and I pick up another wide receiver.

4th round picks-  I want to add a running back, and an offensive tackle.  Or safety, depending on my board.

5th round picks- What I don't get in round 4, I will grab in round #5.  My second 5th round pick might be a QB, or a cornerback, or just best available player.

That's it!  Sauce Gardener is great, but I need to fill in the blanks on my team, and Im building the best team I can put together, not trying to get another Jamal Adams best safety in the draft, who will not add wins to my team, and not do enough to move the needle.  

If I were the GM, I don't care what the public thinks, I only care about doing what I think I need to do to create a winner.  If I fail, then fire me!  This is not a popularity contest.

As long as BAP I agree. I also felt 1 of the 2 second rounders could go to C Linderbaum if he is there and the Jets feel he can step right in and start. Then almost 10M can be saved against the cap by cutting McGovern. But, all else I agree with since I mentioned in another post/thread that if we get a top Edge rusher and DT Davis in the 1st round and those 2 next to QW and Lawson could be the making of a dominant line with the rotation of all of our backups. Then the secondary should have a lot eased on them. This would be the best way to compete against all these teams in the AFC with all the QBs and receivers.

On 4/15/2022 at 8:32 AM, Alka said:

The Jets had one of the worst run defenses last year, and they can't rush the QB it seems like forever.  If I were the GM:

#4  The best edge rusher on my board.  If the top 3 edge rushers on my board are gone by #4, and I feel that there is a big drop off, then I draft Jordan Davis at the #4 spot, and I don't care what every Jets fan thinks, and I don't care what anyone thinks.  This guy, aside from being 6'6" tall and 341 pounds, he demands double teaming, and he has defeated double teaming in college.  He will single handedly make this run defense respectable.  He also has the ability to develop into a solid pass rusher.  Again, my fellow Jets fans could "kiss my you know what" if you don't like it.

#10  If I choose a edge rusher at #4, then it's Jordan Davis at #10.  If I have Davis, then I choose either the best edge rusher on my board, or the best wide receiver on my board, whomever I rate higher.  If I rate both of them equally, then I go for the edge rusher.

#35 and #38-  I have no problem trading up into the first round if the wide receiver I want is there, and if I can make the trade to give up #35 and #38.  If I can't make that deal, then I take the best wide receiver at #35, and take the best linebacker at #38, and I will stand firm with that.

3rd round pick-  I pick another wide receiver here, being that I am getting the 2nd tier wide receiver presumably at #35, I want to create competition at the wide receiver spot, and I pick up another wide receiver.

4th round picks-  I want to add a running back, and an offensive tackle.  Or safety, depending on my board.

5th round picks- What I don't get in round 4, I will grab in round #5.  My second 5th round pick might be a QB, or a cornerback, or just best available player.

That's it!  Sauce Gardener is great, but I need to fill in the blanks on my team, and Im building the best team I can put together, not trying to get another Jamal Adams best safety in the draft, who will not add wins to my team, and not do enough to move the needle.  

If I were the GM, I don't care what the public thinks, I only care about doing what I think I need to do to create a winner.  If I fail, then fire me!  This is not a popularity contest.

Thank the High Priest YOU are not the GM

172117FE-E9AD-45B8-9ED5-44811FFB99F8.jpeg

This will be unpopular with some, but I would posit that the biggest problem with the Jets run defense last season was not the DTs, but the LBs and Safeties.  We got gashed for huge runs more than any other team (actual stat) and that's on those guys.  Basically, both guys named Davis dragged us down.  I don't know how much different Whitehead will make at the Safety spot, but I assume he will be better than Ashtyn.  If we can pick up a LB on day 2 that can replace whoever is slated to start opposite Quincy Williams on the weak side, that will be a huge help as well.  

It's very popular to bash Quinnen right now, but he is not the reason our run defense sucked and unless we upgrade those back-7 guys, another DT isn't going to solve anything either.

On 4/15/2022 at 10:19 AM, Beerfish said:

The jets were supposed to have run stoppers in Futasaki and Quinnen.  Jordan Davis would be an AWFUL AWFUL pick for the jets.   The jets run defense sucked in large part due to scheme.  (wide wide splits and lbs 12 yards back)

The jets also love to rotate guys so even their top dline are getting like 55-60% of the snaps.  Jordan DAvis would play 2 or 3 downs before being pulled and his big frame and run stuffing body would be wasted with these ginormous dline splits.

Also the jets have had a lot of good run defense years that mean squat because they can't score or stop the pass.

These days in the NFL the pass sets up the run as much as he other way around.

I'd be mad if the Jets take Davis with pick #10, if they took him with pick #4 I'd be dangling from the nearest bridge.

get nets ready., just in case. We need you here @Beerfish

• Upvote 1

I don’t think JD wants to draft an OT.  I think he does not want to pass on Ekwenu for a player he has graded much lower.    JD would need to feel very secure in his job to do that, because an OT pick is not winning the Jets more games in 2022.  

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

As long as BAP I agree. I also felt 1 of the 2 second rounders could go to C Linderbaum if he is there and the Jets fail he can step right in and start. Then almost 10M can be saved against the cap by cutting McGovern. But, all else I agree with since I mentioned in another post/thread that if we get a top Edge rusher and DT Davis in the 1st round and those 2 next to QW and Lawson could be the making of a dominant line with the rotation of all of our backups. Then the secondary should have a lot eased on then. This would be the best way to compete against all these teams in the AFC with all the QBs and receivers.

If Linderbaum is there at #35, then the Jets would be foolish not to draft him like you said.  But I don't think he'll make it to 35.