If I were the GM of the Jets, this is what I would do this draft.

Alka

The Jets had one of the worst run defenses last year, and they can't rush the QB it seems like forever.  If I were the GM:

#4  The best edge rusher on my board.  If the top 3 edge rushers on my board are gone by #4, and I feel that there is a big drop off, then I draft Jordan Davis at the #4 spot, and I don't care what every Jets fan thinks, and I don't care what anyone thinks.  This guy, aside from being 6'6" tall and 341 pounds, he demands double teaming, and he has defeated double teaming in college.  He will single handedly make this run defense respectable.  He also has the ability to develop into a solid pass rusher.  Again, my fellow Jets fans could "kiss my you know what" if you don't like it.

#10  If I choose a edge rusher at #4, then it's Jordan Davis at #10.  If I have Davis, then I choose either the best edge rusher on my board, or the best wide receiver on my board, whomever I rate higher.  If I rate both of them equally, then I go for the edge rusher.

#35 and #38-  I have no problem trading up into the first round if the wide receiver I want is there, and if I can make the trade to give up #35 and #38.  If I can't make that deal, then I take the best wide receiver at #35, and take the best linebacker at #38, and I will stand firm with that.

3rd round pick-  I pick another wide receiver here, being that I am getting the 2nd tier wide receiver presumably at #35, I want to create competition at the wide receiver spot, and I pick up another wide receiver.

4th round picks-  I want to add a running back, and an offensive tackle.  Or safety, depending on my board.

5th round picks- What I don't get in round 4, I will grab in round #5.  My second 5th round pick might be a QB, or a cornerback, or just best available player.

That's it!  Sauce Gardener is great, but I need to fill in the blanks on my team, and Im building the best team I can put together, not trying to get another Jamal Adams best safety in the draft, who will not add wins to my team, and not do enough to move the needle.  

If I were the GM, I don't care what the public thinks, I only care about doing what I think I need to do to create a winner.  If I fail, then fire me!  This is not a popularity contest.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Alka said:

The Jets had one of the worst run defenses last year, and they can't rush the QB it seems like forever.  If I were the GM:

#4  The best edge rusher on my board.  If the top 3 edge rushers on my board are gone by #4, and I feel that there is a big drop off, then I draft Jordan Davis at the #4 spot, and I don't care what every Jets fan thinks, and I don't care what anyone thinks.  This guy, aside from being 6'6" tall and 341 pounds, he demands double teaming, and he has defeated double teaming in college.  He will single handedly make this run defense respectable.  He also has the ability to develop into a solid pass rusher.  Again, my fellow Jets fans could "kiss my you know what" if you don't like it.

#10  If I choose a edge rusher at #4, then it's Jordan Davis at #10.  If I have Davis, then I choose either the best edge rusher on my board, or the best wide receiver on my board, whomever I rate higher.  If I rate both of them equally, then I go for the edge rusher.

#35 and #38-  I have no problem trading up into the first round if the wide receiver I want is there, and if I can make the trade to give up #35 and #38.  If I can't make that deal, then I take the best wide receiver at #35, and take the best linebacker at #38, and I will stand firm with that.

3rd round pick-  I pick another wide receiver here, being that I am getting the 2nd tier wide receiver presumably at #35, I want to create competition at the wide receiver spot, and I pick up another wide receiver.

4th round picks-  I want to add a running back, and an offensive tackle.  Or safety, depending on my board.

5th round picks- What I don't get in round 4, I will grab in round #5.  My second 5th round pick might be a QB, or a cornerback, or just best available player.

That's it!  Sauce Gardener is great, but I need to fill in the blanks on my team, and Im building the best team I can put together, not trying to get another Jamal Adams best safety in the draft, who will not add wins to my team, and not do enough to move the needle.  

If I were the GM, I don't care what the public thinks, I only care about doing what I think I need to do to create a winner.  If I fail, then fire me!  This is not a popularity contest.

I actually agree with you and love Jordan Davis myself. If they land Thibs and Davis that d line would be unblockable. Lawson, Q, JFM, Jordan Davis, Thibs

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I actually agree with you and love Jordan Davis myself. If they land Thibs and Davis that d line would be unblockable. Lawson, Q, JFM, Jordan Davis, Thibs

Hell yes!!!  You know, if I were the GM, I would be "playing possum".  Not giving away what I'm going to do, and talk up Sauce, Ecky, all the edge rushers, wide receiver.  All this while, Behind closed doors, I'm penciling in Jordan Davis.  And I wouldn't hesitate to take him at the #4 spot if it comes to that.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jethead said:

I like Davis too but I think it's virtually 100% that you can get him at 10. Take Wilson at 4. Otherwise I think you have constructed a pretty god plan. Kudos.

Thank you Jethead!!  My question would be if Wilson is head and shoulders better than the wide receivers you could get in the 2nd round, or if the edge rusher you would get at #4 is head and shoulders better than what you can get in the early 2nd round?

This is a game of chess, and I believe what is the constant is getting Davis in the first round at either #4 or #10.  What is not constant is if you take an edge at #4 (assuming the 2 or 3 best edge guys are gone by #4), will that player be much better in contrast to the wide receiver that you would take at #4, in comparison to what you would get at #35 or #38?  

Because there is no guaranteed blue chip players at the edge or wide receiver positions, you will still get very good edge or wide receiver players at #35 and #38. What you won't get early in the second round is anyone close to the player that you get with Davis in the 2nd round.

I think Davis is the sleeper of this draft.  He might end up being an all-pro player, like a Warren Sapp, who drifted down towards the 2nd half of the first round. This guy Davis might end up being better than Warren Sapp, and that would be scary good.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Warfish said:

Why not take the Safety and the DTackle, and relive all of the Jets dumb past decisions in one neat clean draft cycle.

I was waiting for someone to post this argument.  

All I know is what I see in front of me.  I'm not worrying about the past, or what will people think if I'm the GM, and I draft another 1st round d tackle.

And what's in front of me is that this Jets team was around last in the league in stopping the run last year, and we just lost possibly our best D tackle against the run in Fatukasi.  

Davis would be an enormous upgrade, and looks to me like another Warren Sapp.  Alongside Williams, and adding another edge rusher, this defensive line would be unblock able.  The run defense would be upgraded immediately.  

If I'm worrying about the past, and worry that the owner and Jets fans will be upset with me drafting another D lineman in the first round, then I don't deserve to be the GM.  I hope that Joe Douglas could care less what you or I think. He just needs to see what's in front of him, and improve this team to the best of his ability.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Jordan Davis ... Is he in danger of being picked by any other team in the first round? If not why not wait to get better value?

2 minutes ago, Alka said:

All I know is what I see in front of me.  I'm not worrying about the past, or what will people think if I'm the GM, and I draft another 1st round d tackle.

And what's in front of me is that this Jets team was around last in the league in stopping the run last year, and we just lost possibly our best D tackle against the run in Fatukasi.  

Davis would be an enormous upgrade, and looks to me like another Warren Sapp.  Alongside Williams, and adding another edge rusher, this defensive line would be unblock able.  The run defense would be upgraded immediately.  

If I'm worrying about the past, and worry that the owner and Jets fans will be upset with me drafting another D lineman in the first round, then I don't deserve to be the GM.  I hope that Joe Douglas could care less what you or I think. He just needs to see what's in front of him, and improve this team to the best of his ability.

Futukasi had a down year cause of the system. Guy is a stud no doubt, great player, but didn't fit well here now.

Joe I think care only what his evaluation is, and he probably is right. I think we are going to be happy on draft day

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Alka said:

Wasn't really an "argument", more a joke/philosophical lament.

At #4.  

A guy projected in most simulators and mocks to be taken at ~15-25 or so.

At a non-premium, non-game-changing position.

Don't care.  Both Offense and stopping the pass/INT's > stopping the run in this era of NFL football.  

And pure run-stopped DT's can be found later in most draft classes.

Davis would be an enormous upgrade, and looks to me like another Warren Sapp.

That's what everyone always says when they want the DT is question.  Never works out that way.

Alongside Williams, and adding another edge rusher, this defensive line would be unblock able.

No such thing. 

Just ask the DC Commanders, whose 2021 D-line was better than your planned "super-unit", talent wise.

You shouldn't worry about the past.  But you should learn from it.

And I have no doubt whatsoever that JD not only doesn't care what you or I think, he has no idea you, I or JN exists, lol.

DT in the first (#4, as you said) does possibly the least to "improve this team" possible.  A Safety might be the only position less impactful.  DT later, a big fat run-stuffer in the 4th or the like, sure, great!

You get your way, we still lose 12+ games, are a bad Offense, and finish with a Defense in bottom half of the NFL.  Guaranteed.

JMO.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Of course Jordan Davis is in danger of being picked in the first round.  It would be shocking if he weren't.  Figure top half of the round.  OTOH, he had 7 sacks in college.   Sapp had more than 10 in a season.  His knocks are lack of pass rush, and conditioning?  This staff has not seemed great about keeping on top of  Becton and this guy might have similar problems. 

This is the usual argument.  Positional value is always super important, until someone falls in love with a prospect.  I get that alka is in love with Davis and there are reasons to be, but it seems kind of disingenuous to act like Sauce can't move the needle, but a run stuffing DT can.  Some people love Gardener, some will love Davis and others will love Ekonwu.  If you pick the great player you won.  

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Some people love Gardener, some will love Davis and others will love Ekonwu.  If you pick the great player you won.  

I think your last sentence says it all.  If one of these players ended up being a 7 time all pro and makes the Hall of Fame, then that would be the player to draft out of the 3 you mentioned.  Any one of these 3 players would move the needle for the team if that were to be true.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

A guy projected in most simulators and mocks to be taken at ~15-25 or so.

I would be shocked if he's still there at #20.  But, from what I see, he will be picked up somewhere between #9 and #16.  We will see.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alka said:

You may like this mock I did... & got Washington's 1st & 2nd in 2023...

Travon Walker

EDGE Georgia

Jordan Davis

DT Georgia

Kenyon Green

OG Texas A&M

Christian Watson

WR North Dakota State

Alec Pierce

WR Cincinnati

Channing Tindall

LB Georgia

Jake Ferguson

TE Wisconsin

Yusuf Corker

S Kentucky

Pierre Strong Jr.

RB South Dakota State

2023 WAS 1st

2023 WAS 2nd

3 hours ago, Alka said:

Hell yes!!!  You know, if I were the GM, I would be "playing possum".  Not giving away what I'm going to do, and talk up Sauce, Ecky, all the edge rushers, wide receiver.  All this while, Behind closed doors, I'm penciling in Jordan Davis.  And I wouldn't hesitate to take him at the #4 spot if it comes to that.

you could then use the 10 to get the guy who plays third downs and 4th quarter for him. ?

18 minutes ago, Alka said:

I think your last sentence says it all.  If one of these players ended up being a 7 time all pro and makes the Hall of Fame, then that would be the player to draft out of the 3 you mentioned.  Any one of these 3 players would move the needle for the team if that were to be true.

Exactly.  You put your name on Davis.  Plenty of people are putting their name on Gardner.  I'm not putting my name on anyone, but I am a BAP guy so if I thought one of these guys was that monster I'd be down.  I don't know enough about the prospects.  Most years I study more and would be more likely to mistakenly sign up

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

When we draft an Edge, we automatically get an upgrade at DT by moving JFM back inside where he was much more effective in 2020.  

One stone.  Two birds.

Don't need a DT that high.  Maybe depth on day 3.

Louder! 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not putting my name on anyone, but I am a BAP guy

So when/if you were to go to PFF and run a Mock Draft, do you just take the highest rated player at every pick?

I wonder what that would look like.....lets give it a try!

I present to you, the official PFF "BAP JETS DRAFT!", taking the highest rated available player at every pick, no thinking required:

image.thumb.png.dc27c3eec142fe604b995c255b7530e5.png

Edge/Davis would so nasty for this defense, especially when you look at how Saleh was successful in San Fran.  I waver back and forth between Sauce/Edge or Edge/Davis because I dont like the WR's and I think the impact Davis would have on this defense might be the biggest impact any 1 player at the top half could have on the entire team.  I just think he'll make everyone around him better.  Q. Will sees less doubles and that has impact across the front 7, JFM/Lawson/rookie get better looks, Mosley and Quincy get more lanes at the LOS instead of 5 yards down field, CB's dont have to cover as long...you know, that whole song and dance.  The planet theory, he just such a rare human.  I wouldnt be shocked if it happened either.  They havent really replace Fatukasi and I just have a feeling the first 2 picks play close to the LOS.

That said, in a perfect world, my preference right now would be to go Sauce/JJ (or edge) and then target Davis's counterpart, Wyatt in the 2nd coupled with their favorite WR.  Then you've fixed your D, found your WR and then you can snag a solid RB (White, Pierce, Badie, etc.) and grab Wan'Dale Robinson and the Jets are fixed.  You're welcome.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So when/if you were to go to PFF and run a Mock Draft, do you just take the highest rated player at every pick?

I wonder what that would look like.....lets give it a try!

I present to you, the official PFF "BAP JETS DRAFT!", taking the highest rated available player at every pick, no thinking required:

image.thumb.png.dc27c3eec142fe604b995c255b7530e5.png

Really solid draft.  The Zappe vs. White battle would be lit. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If I were the Jets GM, I’d still post on this message board, but just to tell you all to eat ?

What would really be funny is if JD really was here, posting PFF mocks alongside the rest of us, lol. 

Might just be the funniest thing ever actually.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Edge/Davis would so nasty for this defense, especially when you look at how Saleh was successful in San Fran.  I waver back and forth between Sauce/Edge or Edge/Davis because I dont like the WR's and I think the impact Davis would have on this defense might be the biggest impact any 1 player at the top half could have on the entire team.  I just think he'll make everyone around him better.  Q. Will sees less doubles and that has impact across the front 7, JFM/Lawson/rookie get better looks, Mosley and Quincy get more lanes at the LOS instead of 5 yards down field, CB's dont have to cover as long...you know, that whole song and dance.  The planet theory, he just such a rare human.  I wouldnt be shocked if it happened either.  They havent really replace Fatukasi and I just have a feeling the first 2 picks play close to the LOS.

That said, in a perfect world, my preference right now would be to go Sauce/JJ (or edge) and then target Davis's counterpart, Wyatt in the 2nd coupled with their favorite WR.  Then you've fixed your D, found your WR and then you can snag a solid RB (White, Pierce, Badie, etc.) and grab Wan'Dale Robinson and the Jets are fixed.  You're welcome.

Our current DTs:  Quinnen, Rankins, Thomas, JFM (who will take snaps inside once we draft a high Edge), Shephard, Marshall.

Where exactly are you going to fit in Davis?  Sure, you can put him in, but then you are letting all those snaps rot on the bench for the depth guys we have in place.

We need the Edge pick.  Our only viable edge players are Lawson, Huff and, dare I say it, Zuniga.  We probably need two edge picks.  Upgrading DT right now is a luxury we do not need in the 1st round.  I get that Davis looks like a stud.  So did Leo.  So did Quinnen.  I could go on.  I'd rather ride or die drafting a position that, if he pans out, will really lift the team rather than draft into an already deep position.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

What would really be funny is if JD really was here, posting PFF mocks alongside the rest of us, lol. 

Might just be the funniest thing ever actually.

He’s got notes of what teams traded ahead of him and how many times in his 2,000 simulations.   I can picture it.  Before he makes a trade he goes to drattek to see the trade value chart to make sure it’s realistic.

• Haha 1

PFF wants to be taken seriously.  But they have Stingley at #3 on their big board saying "This ranking is banking a lot on what Stingley put on tape a long time ago, but it's not as if that talent went anywhere. He has allowed only a 41.1% completion percentage for his career and has been starting since his freshman year."

They have Gardner 9th.  "Gardner never allowed a single touchdown in his career despite starting since he was a true freshman. In 2021, he took his game to another level, allowing only 131 yards in 14 games."

Stingley's 2021 PFF grade: 66.6

Gardner's 2021 PFF grade: 87.1

They actually have McDuffie ahead of Gardner (also with a lower season grade).  

Yeah.  I'm gonna say it.  There is something going on there that has nothing to do with objective analysis.

12 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Our current DTs:  Quinnen, Rankins, Thomas, JFM (who will take snaps inside once we draft a high Edge), Shephard, Marshall.

Where exactly are you going to fit in Davis?  Sure, you can put him in, but then you are letting all those snaps rot on the bench for the depth guys we have in place.

We need the Edge pick.  Our only viable edge players are Lawson, Huff and, dare I say it, Zuniga.  We probably need two edge picks.  Upgrading DT right now is a luxury we do not need in the 1st round.  I get that Davis looks like a stud.  So did Leo.  So did Quinnen.  I could go on.  I'd rather ride or die drafting a position that, if he pans out, will really lift the team rather than draft into an already deep position.

I actually forgot that Rankins was on the team.  For some reason I thought we lost him but Thomas/Shepard/Marshall are not keeping you from drafting Davis and he fits squarely in front of all names mentioned.  Rankins becomes the first guy in rotation, which is nice.  The other problem you're overlooking here is this is the exact same DL as last year expect adding sh*tty Thomas and they were bad.  Very bad.