Zach and Sauce shined in Green & White scrimmage

1 hour ago, jgb said:

If I can only choose one, I’d hope for better throws over less drops.

I don't have that gun to my head...I want both.  IMO...Zach will get there.  I realize there are those who believe Zach will suck.  Fair enough...that's why we play the games.  

Can't wait to see what's gonna happen.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jgb said:

Did you do the same for every QB or does only the Jets QB get credit for receiver drops?

Be interested in the numbers if you could please link your post. Thank you.

No, I didn’t run the numbers for every quarterback.  Just Zach to see what he would be at league average drops.  
It was still ugly, but the completion percentage went up to respectable. 

I’ll try a post search later to find the numbers, 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Jimmy 2 Times said:

No, I didn’t run the numbers for every quarterback.  Just Zach to see what he would be at league average drops.  
It was still ugly, but the completion percentage went up to respectable. 

I’ll try a post search later to find the numbers, 

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

Fine. Even adjusting down to league mean we are not talking about the difference between the worst rated passer and even an average one.

An improvement needs to come from within. Reducing drops to league average is not going to automatically lead to competent QB play.

For sure. 

But this thread feels like

us: "Zach Wilson had a solid scrimmage. It feels like he's improving. 12 for 19 with 5 drops is pretty good and without the drops, he would have really feasted"

you: "But he sucked LAST YEAR and the drops didn't make THAT much of an impact LAST YEAR!"

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

For sure. 

us: "Zach Wilson had a solid scrimmage. It feels like he's improving. 12 for 19 with 5 drops is pretty good and without the drops, he would have really feasted"

you: "But he sucked LAST YEAR and the drops didn't make THAT much of an impact LAST YEAR!"

Sorry if I gave that impression. I’ve said his completion percentage in the scrimmage is both encouraging and the only metric I care about right now. I do bristle at the suggestion that drops are the (or a material) determining factor in his success or failure, that is true.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Claymation said:

Drops happen to each and every team. The biggest issue last year was that the WRs couldn't make a play to help the QB out. Rarely did I see a WO make a contested catch or make a catch where the ball wasn't properly placed.  

Yet those same WRs looked fine with other QB's under center.  And now several of the bad receivers have been upgraded.

When we said there are no excuses for Zach Wilson this year, it was justified.  So even in a scrimmage the scrutiny is necessary.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

For sure. 

"Feasted".  He averaged 8.4 yards per completion, lol.  

Just now, slimjasi said:

How would you possibly know what his average would be without the 5 drops?

Also, 17 for 19 would be pretty damn good, even if that was his average. 

Read it again.  Yards per COMPLETION, not attempt.  

8.4 yards per COMPLETION is terrible.  For reference, the # 33 rated QB in Y/C last year was Jacoby Brissett, who averaged 9.1 yards per completion.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"Feasted".  He averaged 8.4 yards per completion, lol.  

For reference, the # 33 rated QB in Y/C last year was Jacoby Brissett, who averaged 9.1 yards per completion.

This would be a great point if the "feasted" comment was applied to his 12 for 19 performance, but I qualified it with "without the drops." So, no dice. 

I feel like your hard on for Wilson is preventing you from actually discussing anything - you are like a hammer looking for nails right now. Take a chill pill. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This would be a great point if the "feasted" comment was applied to his 12 for 19 performance, but I qualified it with "without the drops." So, no dice. 

I feel like your hard on for Wilson is preventing you from actually discussing anything - you are like a hammer looking for nails right now. Take a chill pill. 

Let me repeat it again in another way:  His 12 completions were not impressive based on the numbers.  Forgive me for not just assuming that the 5 drops would have been long gains.  

I don't really care what snipes you want to take about my "hard on".  This is a crucial year for a young QB this franchise has a ton invested in, so I will scrutinize when I see fit.  Deal with it?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Let me repeat it again in another way:  His 12 completions were not impressive based on the numbers.  Forgive me for not just assuming that the 5 drops would have been long gains.  

I'm not assuming anything. For one thing, one of the drops was on a deep shot to Moore and another one was a first down 10+ yards down the field to Davis. 

Also, more importantly, I pointed out that I would be quite happy with 17 for 19 at the same 8.4 yards/completion. Maybe you wouldn't?

Wilson's biggest weakness coming off of last season (IMO) was his accuracy. It sounds like his completion percentage has been better in camp, so far, and it was good in the scrimmage and good again today. He's now had several days where he has missed only a handful of passes. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't really care what snipes you want to take about my "hard on".  This is a crucial year for a young QB this franchise has a ton invested in, so I will scrutinize when I see fit.  Deal with it?

You are absolutely free to scrutinize and I am free to scrutinize your posts! Freedom all the way around. 

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ok.   I will help.  The too small, soft, hated by all teamates QB of last year destroyed lots of the JN narrative.  Looking forward to more this year!! 

• Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Read it again.  Yards per COMPLETION, not attempt.  

8.4 yards per COMPLETION is terrible.  For reference, the # 33 rated QB in Y/C last year was Jacoby Brissett, who averaged 9.1 yards per completion.

People don’t understand statistics innately. This is why Las Vegas thrives. Those buildings weren’t financed by good choices made by their customers.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

People don’t understand statistics innately. This is why Las Vegas thrives. Those buildings weren’t financed by good choices made by their customers.

I have a PhD in applied physics. I'm willing to bet that I have actually used more statistics than the vast majority of this board. 

FYI: As I pointed out, there is really no way to know what his yards/completion would actually be simply from converting drops into completions. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

FYI: As I pointed out, there is really no way to know what his yards/completion would actually be simply from converting drops into completions. 

Which is why I prefer to just take stats at face value and evaluate accordingly.  As they stand, Wilson had an OK day.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Let's hope our # 2 overall pick QB with upgraded support around him is better than "OK" in year 2.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

My disagreement was with the thread title stating he "shined" and you and nearly a dozen others threw a hissy fit.  

Was it worth it?

A hissy fit?

I believe my first post to you started out with the words “to be fair” 

you’re so dramatic 

• Upvote 1

Which is why I prefer to just take stats at face value and evaluate accordingly.  As they stand, Wilson had an OK day.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Let's hope our # 2 overall pick QB with upgraded support around him is better than "OK" in year 2.

I’ll sign for better than league average. 

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

A hissy fit?

I believe my first post to you started out with the words “to be fair” 

you’re so dramatic 

I believe the 4 people who neg repped the post I made were the ones being "dramatic", as well as the others who responded to complain about it. 

I wasn't saying much of anything in either direction but now this thread has gone 4 pages of people b*tching about negativity all over again.  

• Upvote 1

I believe the 4 people who neg repped or were confused by the post I made were the ones being "dramatic", as well as the others who responded to complain about it. 

I wasn't saying much of anything in either direction but now this thread has gone 4 pages of people b*tching about negativity all over again.  

Those evil neg-reapers!!! How could they?!?!?!

Think of the children!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That would have given Wilson a 17-19 day for 143 yards, or 7.5 YPA.  As I said, a pretty good day.  

The three bad drops were for 20, 30, and 35 yards. 

That's straight from @kdels62 who was there. 

That drastically changes his yards per completion.

I won't count the Barrios drop because it was a low throw.